• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension multiplayer confirmed [Update: Gameplay Video]

Loudninja

Just that his very passionate and the game is in good hands. Everything else like promptless kills and bashing crates is known. The team is really putting all the stops here.
Thanks, going to listen to it.

Edit:Ok that was really good, you guys should listen to it.

Drencrom

If you take away the prompts in QTEs, do they still count as QTEs or does that mean that they are integrated into the standard gameplay? We haven't heard anything about how they'll handle these "promptless minigames" but it sounds like a step up.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just that his very passionate and the game is in good hands. Everything else like promptless kills and bashing crates is known. The team is really putting all the stops here.

Changing the HUD for QTEs and the way you open crates is "pulling out all the stops" now? Let's save our effusiveness for something a little more substantial.

Loudninja

Can you explain it yourself, I don't feel like listening to an hour of that.
It starts at 25:00

I think they can explain it better than me ;)

Changing the HUD for QTEs and the way you open crates is "pulling out all the stops" now? Let's save our effusiveness for something a little more substantial.
They basically changing all the old game mechanics for this game, from the chests, to the QTE to the climbing as well.

Loudninja

They explain nothing. They didn't say how the multi-QTE sequences were gonna work now.

oh and instead of a circle on the screen you get a "halo". my, how different.
Oh I dont know about that,I guess this how it is in multiplayer.

Single player will most likely be different.

My dream qte is basically I can input any button and each button will feature its own kill animation including bosses. How awesome would that be, It'd be a lot of work fot ssm, but that'd be super nice

jett

D-Member
My dream qte is basically I can input any button and each button will feature its own kill animation including bosses. How awesome would that be, It'd be a lot of work fot ssm, but that'd be super nice

Rather than that finishers should change depending on which weapon you have equipped.

They should also make it more context sensitive rather than just random buttons on screen. If it's a grabbing motion it should be circle, square and triangle for stabbing/slashing, x if kratos is jumping, the analog stick for movement, etc. It just makes sense to me. But they say there are no more QTE inputs on screen, so whatev.

Loudninja

Rather than that finishers should change depending on which weapon you have equipped.

They should also make it more context sensitive rather than just random buttons on screen. If it's a grabbing motion it should be circle, square and triangle for stabbing/slashing, x if kratos is jumping, the analog stick for movement, etc. It just makes sense to me. But they say there are no more QTE inputs on screen, so whatev.
Some good ideas, but some of this stuff would take alot of time.

If they have lets say 4 weapons, each on of those will have to have different finishers for each enemy.

animation219f9w.gif

Loudninja

About the QTE, you are giving a change to counter them as well so its not a automatic kill.

PLASTICA-MAN that gif looks awesome would like to see the full video.

About the QTE, you are giving a change to counter them as well so its not a automatic kill.

PLASTICA-MAN that gif looks awesome would like to see the full video.

That was from the live demo shown to the journalists. Everyone was lured thinking he was Kratos, but later another player came up and they concluded it was multiplayer.
Jeuxvideo.fr posted that video.

It must be this: http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/god-of...sion-meilleurs-moments-video-actu-489962.html

I can't read any video of this site. So I can't verify.

Irish

Pretty decent video, shows some of the parts that we have only read about before, but they are cut up into a bunch of little pieces.

The point to point climbing looks terrible though. I don't like the way it looks at all. Hopefully they keep the other climbing in for SP.

Pretty decent video, shows some of the parts that we have only read about before, but they are cut up into a bunch of little pieces.

The point to point climbing looks terrible though. I don't like the way it looks at all. Hopefully they keep the other climbing in for SP.

Sadly it has cut up parts because this is a best-of, unlike the live show they presented on Wednesday that I totally missed :( !

Loudninja

You are welcome, it is DEFINATELY THIS video at 6:58, enjoy !
Yeah, its pretty scary how life-like Polyphemus is behaving.

It looks fine to me, no thank you to gow climbing.

I am not really sure what you fine so bad really.

Did anyone of you notice the design of the new cyclops? Now they look uglier (in a better way) with bumped scales like a crocodile and how Kratos is tearing them into two halves?

Pistolero

Irish

2yk7t.jpg

Doesn't really look all that different from the previous iterations. They've always had those scales on their backs and they looked like actual bumps once 3 came around.

gibration

I don't think it looks terrible but yea i'd prefer they stick with the old climbing for sp. Looks like they want you to feel much faster, more lightweight, and maybe even more agile. Climbing was slower and heavier in GoW 3 and that extra added little animation of Kratos struggling was also nice.

2yk7t.jpg

Doesn't really look all that different from the previous iterations. They've always had those scales on their backs and they looked like actual bumps once 3 came around.
No watch carefully at 7:10, you have a better look at them. They look different from the ones in GOW3. Trust me I have a keen eye on such details.

SSM said that they're taking this MP seriously and the maps and bosses are all exclusively made for MP and not just grabbed from SP. that's great and all, but I can already hear people saying that those should be in SP too, just for more boss battle or set pieces etc to add the SP length...

Irish

Even then, I don't think the difference is really all that drastic. It's not much of a huge change for the cyclops. Just another evolution.

The GOW climbing mechanic was never good.

I am glad they are updating it now.

Updating? Hell no. This is a step in the wrong direction. The only other climbing mechanic better than GoW's was SotC's. Free movement will always be better in my eyes.

Loudninja

Even then, I don't think the difference is really all that drastic. It's not much of a huge change for the cyclops. Just another evolution.

Updating? Hell no. This is a step in the wrong direction. The only other climbing mechanic better than GoW's was SotC's. Free movement will always be better in my eyes.

You cant just claim something is going in the wrong direction because you was fine with the way it as in the other games.

It was not good and they finally updating it.

Irish

Yeah, but even with a great spectacle behind it, it would change its gameplay properties. Point to Point is a bad mechanic. To me, that is a bad change. Others may think it is alright, but I don't.

And I'm not resistant to change in general, but going from one mechanic that we know a lot about to another one that we also have a pretty good grasp on means we have a very good idea of how it will play, and, for me, I don't like the way that it plays.

Loudninja

SSM said that they're taking this MP seriously and the maps and bosses are all exclusively made for MP and not just grabbed from SP. that's great and all, but I can already hear people saying that those should be in SP too, just for more boss battle or set pieces etc to add the SP length...
Actually he said the smaller maps is going to most like be from either GOW3 or this game.

Yeah I can see that too, and I dont agree having bosses or level just to have them never turn out good.

Pretty much.

You cant just claim something is going in the wrong direction because you was fine with the way it as in the other games.

It was not good and they finally updating it.

Please explain how having total control over direction, movement speed and both normal/strong attack that are comboable, while climbing, is a bad thing.

Castlevania's was a mix, didn't like that too much either.

Loudninja

Please explain how having total control over direction, movement speed and both normal/strong attack that are comboable, while climbing, is a bad thing.
What are you talking about?Where did I say that?

All we seen was a few freaking seconds of the climbing.

Lol someone is trying to post the video in N4G after days, just after I posted the link here. He got reported! XD Good for him.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
As long as he moves quickly while climbing I don't care what else they change. Any method of traversal where they slow you to a crawl is unacceptable. (Not to say previous GOW climbing was a big offender in that regard.)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Castlevania's was a mix, didn't like that too much either.

GOW's climbing doesn't need that level of control because there's only one, narrow path. It's not Assassin's Creed or even Uncharted. The combat while climbing was novel in GOW1 but 6 games later it's tedious and adds nothing of substance. I'd be totally fine with no combat while climbing, or a completely different take on it.

Fuckin' LOL at Kratos' French voice.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is it all going to be point to point climbing though? I was expecting a bit of both like in the previous GoW games.

All we've seen is devkit footage of the character jumping from point to point, right? It seems early to conclude anything about whether or not hand-over-hand climbing is completely gone.

Top Bottom