• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension Screenshots - Best looking Console Game this gen ?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
There's nothing in those two games that approaches GOW3's first twenty minutes. Or any game.

This is incorrect. Although the first 20 minutes of GoW is one of the most epic and impressive scenes of this gen, Uncharted 2-3 both have several that contend very closely. Even if you think GoW's intro is better, the gulf is not nearly as large as as you stated.

jett

D-Member
This is incorrect. Although the first 20 minutes of GoW is one of the most epic and impressive scenes of this gen, Uncharted 2-3 both have several that contend very closely. Even if you think GoW's intro is better, the gulf is not nearly as large as as you stated.

It is to me.

.la1n

It looks pretty great but we have seen this area numerous times so it's tough to get overly excited. I have complete faith the final product will be fantastic though given the games history. From demo to final polish is always mind blowing with the god of war games.

Reiko

Banned
There's nothing in those two games that approaches GOW3's first twenty minutes. Or any game.

I would say the lighting in UC2 and UC3 are a step above God of War 3.

The first 20 minutes of GOW3 are a perfect marriage of framerate, textures, art direction, motion blur, polygon counts, and alpha effects.

Graphically not only does this look like the prettiest this gen, but I’d go as far as saying it looks better than anything on the PC too.

whoa.png

Let's not get carried away now.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It is to me.

Well then you're basing that on personal preference and style/art design. Not technical merit.

I agree that GoW3's intro is one if not the most impressive set pieces this gen. But to say nothing technically "even comes close" is just objectively false. Sorry.

Perkel

Banned
Well then you're basing that on personal preference and style/art design. Not technical merit.

I agree that GoW3's intro is one if not the most impressive set pieces this gen. But to say nothing technically "even comes close" is just objectively false. Sorry.

Well we must make clear that rarely alone technical achievement can win with art direction. And GoW3 opening was marriage of phenomenal camera work, fantastic animations, good streaming tech, crazy IQ and mindblowning art.

I can safely say no game on PC or consoles had bigger wow factor than gow3 opening.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Good lord thats amazing. Looks like SSM edge out even ND this year.

and keep in mind this is just from the E3 demo. GoW 3's lighting looked much better in the final version.

666666660tk94.png

Goddamn, i can't wait to see more from SP. They better show that soon, the game is out in 2 month. I'm not a big fan of MP but i hope to the gods they didn't just focus on Multiplayer and made a so lala Singleplayer campaign. but from the demo we've seen it should be pretty damn epic.

Did GOW3 go through the biggest graphical leap of any game from the preview events to the gold build? I remember at every event before E3 and at E3 the general consensus was "Doesn't look like a painting to me" and they kept showing the beginning area of climbing Gaia. It didn't look bad but didn't blow you away but then closer to release it went through a pretty insane upgrade to become arguably the best looking game on any console.

I am trying to remember if that has ever happened before.

Looks great, better than Last of Us IMO

but I gotta go with Halo 4, maybe Crysis 3, it's close. Can't really make that call until the game comes out.

It may LOOK better than everything else out there, but in motion the last of us will probably beat it from an overall technological standpoint. The animation will be better, the AI (miles ahead of everything else), not to mention ND will probably bring back their crazy physics from U2/U3 (which no other game has still matched). If they bring back their snow and water effects too, their pouring salt on the wound.

Not to take away from GoW though. Its second best.

Uncharted does many things great, but their physics engine is pretty average. The parts you described as impressive are scripted.

the whole shipyard and ship part was physics based wasn't it.for me that was mighty impressive

Ship and everything moving it it is physics based reacting to a dynamic ocean, but there's nothing really impressive about it tbh.

There is no fluid physics in U3 however, water going after drake is "scripted"

Fezan

Ship and everything moving it it is physics based reacting to a dynamic ocean, but there's nothing really impressive about it tbh.

There is no fluid physics in U3 however, water going after drake is "scripted"

havent seen any other doing such with their physics system

Sn4ke_911

It may look good but it still features an angry screaming man named kratos.

Just sayin....

I remember Todd Papy saying (i think it was on the Gamespot E3 stage) this time Kratos will act more like a human. It has been only 6 or so month when he killed his wife and child. In the demo you can also see he saves a man from getting pierced by a spear. Sure he won't go out and hug everyone but he isn't as angry as he was in other GoW games, if that makes any sense lol.

the whole shipyard and ship part was physics based wasn't it.for me that was mighty impressive

Physics based or not, floating objects aren't really sophisticated physics. It looks good due to the amount and size of the objects moving, but it's nothing special really. The fact that you haven't seen it elsewhere yet might be due to game design rather than technical difficulties.

Sn4ke_911

Hm, does that mean we'll get a different demo than the E3 Total Recall one?

3333333e2ayg.png

Looks great, better than Last of Us IMO

but I gotta go with Halo 4, maybe Crysis 3, it's close. Can't really make that call until the game comes out.

Not sure about Crysis 3 (I need to see more of it), but I played Halo 4. You think its graphically more impressive than Uncharted 3 or The Last of Us? GoW3?

Is this a popular opinion on GAF btw?

Uncharted does many things great, but their physics engine is pretty average. The parts you described as impressive are scripted.

Physics based or not, floating objects aren't really sophisticated physics. It looks good due to the amount and size of the objects moving, but it's nothing special really. The fact that you haven't seen it elsewhere yet might be due to game design rather than technical difficulties.

Actually it is impressive. Having actual, moving objects, with other AI, and other objects with their own physics and inertia etc layered on top is what made the collapsed building even possible. Naughty Dog took that a step further in UC3 with a physics-based cruise ship riding on a procedural ocean, which combines all sorts of different physics. Objects, AI, the player and water on the ship itself reacted according to the ship's motion being produced by the waves.

No other game does this because it is a hell of a lot harder. Its objectively better than a simple moving background.

Edit: This technology apparently killed ND during the development of UC2. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/among-friends-how-naughty-dog-built-uncharted-2

namDa65

Graphically not only does this look like the prettiest this gen, but I’d go as far as saying it looks better than anything on the PC too.

hah. Don't go stating facts without actually experiencing certain pc games yourself.

God of War 3 is the best looking console game however by far.

Reiko

Banned
Technically speaking, I don't think the lighting is comparable to The Last of Us. But it does look nice for the AA, resolution, and framerate combo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Technical difficulty is making your character and AI characters react correctly to the world that changes physically at the same rate that graphics themselves update (or likely, at a higher rate). That much more so as your character is supposed to grab onto things, jump over things interactively etc. so it's not just the floor surface that needs to be taken into account, and AI is supposed to do the same but in a world that's never the same as it was a moment before. I've seen literally one other game that has accomplished this sort of thing and that's SotC, which did it with just one character (yours) albeit over a slope deformed surfaces rather than flat deformed like in UC3.

ATLAS666

Neo Member
im been waiting my total recall ordered from amazon to only play this sp demo but damn my order was delayed because of the holiday seasons im still waiting for it :(

nasos_333

Gears 3 and this one are definitly the 3D games that have impressed me the most this generation visually

Besides the 2D masterpieces like Bravely Default of course, that are in another league (but in 2D gaming)

I especiall love the Kraken scene

Top Bottom