• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ascension Single Player Demo Impressions -Totally Recalled It

So I bought Total Recall today and it came with the GOWA Demo on the 2nd disc (which was awesome btw). So I decided to post my impressions and answer any questions for those who are interested.

GodofWarAscensionPic2_zps62038b66.jpg

GodofWarAscensionpic_zpse7385b82.jpg

Firstly, the Demo is the same Single Player demo shown at last E3 I believe, and it's very very short.

The Graphics are top notch once again. When I saw the vids of the SP demo online I thought it didn't look as good as GOW3, especially Kratos' character model. However after playing the demo for myself and literally seeing Kratos up close, he looks incredible! I really like how they made him slightly less muscular to reiterate the fact that he's not all powerful just yet.

The environments is impressive as well. No "2D' copouts so far. Also, I must say they really stepped it up with the fire effects. As you increase your combo the flames from the Blades of Chaos become more prominent and it's absolutely gorgeous to look at. Definitely some the best fire I've seen in an action game. Bloody Kratos is still in and just as good as GOW3 if not better; there is actually an animation where he wipes blood from his face, which is a nice touch. The water effects were kind of meh to me though, specifically the scene where the Kraken throws the broken ship at Kratos. The way the ocean moves is a little weird, it looks a bit like lava instead of water IMO.

The combat feels MUCH tighter than any GOW game I've played (and I've played them all - even the GOW Saga). Kratos is very quick and accurate in his attacks and it's very satisfying. I did notice they took away/adjusted the Triangle Triangle Triangle and Square Square Square Triangle attacks from the previous games. You no longer have access to those combos immediately, instead you have to build your "Rage" for lack of a better term and then it becomes available (Again another reiteration of his less than Godly status). Regular Square Square Triangle is still in though.

Circle is no longer the grab button and they also took away your options when you grab and enemy. In previous games you had up to 3 options after you grabbed and enemy. In this game, the Grab button has been mapped to R1 and Kratos doesn't simply lung forward with his arms, he grabs the enemy with his chain and pulls them in. With higher tier enemies he's not able to pull them in unless their wounded, he instead uses the enemy to leverage his position in battle when they are not wounded. When an enemy is near death and you press R1 Kratos automatically does one of his "grab moves" from previous games on lower tier enemies and you go through button prompts on higher tier enemies. Circle itself is not a hard straight kick which actually becomes very satisfying when coupled with a regular combo.

R1 is still the block button/modifier. It pretty much works like the previous games; when you hold R1 and press square, X or triangle, it unleashed a 3 to 4 hit combo. But unlike the previous games this can now be cancelled with R1. Actually, it could be cancelled in previous games to an extent but in this game you don't get "stuck" at any point and it goes much smoother. Holding R1 and pressing Circle will cause Kratos to sprint for a few meters and pressing another attack button will cause a special move (it works similarly to the charge in Ghost of Sparta).

You can pick up weapons from slain friend or foe however during the demo it was all "scripted". I'm not sure if you can pick up weapons at will. When I killed the big axe-wielding Minotaur, I tried to pick up the Axe but it just disappeared.

You still have your magic abilities; holding R2 will cause Kratos to charge the Blades of Chaos and slam them into the ground, causing a ring a fire to erupt around him. You also can control time or rather "Heal" damaged things as the demo states (it's unclear as to whether or not you actually control time on certain things or are just able to reverse damage).

Platforming feel a lot better than in previous installments. It's more responsive and Kratos moves swiftly across ledges.

Anyway, that's all I could think of so far. Feel free to ask any questions or post your impressions if you've played the SP Demo.

Jb

Combat looks good, but it's really weird how SSM hasn't released any media outside of the demo showcasing the SP. Not even a single trailer.

Ok so about the weapon thing. It seems you can pick up weapons that are just lying around and they don't have to necessarily be scripted events. I beat a group of Satyr's and the last one left behind his sword which I was able to pick up at will. It's not clear whether or not this happens with every enemy encounter but when you do acquire a random weapon you can unleash attacks with Circle. So far it doesn't seem like you can truly attain and in depth combo with them but you can unleash a special attack by using R1 as a modifier.

Also, the bar to the right of the screen is Kratos' rage meter and the more you build that the more inflamed your blades become and the more damage they do.

elbourreau

I had no doubt about the quality of the SC of GoW.A, the only thing I wonder, is if the multi player development cuted some ressources from the SC, and cut the lengh of that campaign....

I don't want to have a 5hours long campaign, I wat my 8 / 10 hours of pure epic hapiness! ;)

meta4

Yeah. I loved the demo as well. The combat is silky smooth and way way better than GOW3. Playing GOW3 now feels sluggish by comparison. This one seems to be a perfect mix of accessibility and depth. My only complaint would be that the enemies should be more challenging because once you get your blades to burn you can destroy everyone in sight in the demo without batting an eyelid. Also the payoff for completely charging your blades and pressing L3 and R3 together is not as satisfying as I would have liked. Simply regaining health and manna is not too exciting. They should probably change that move according to enemy type and make it feel more epic or satisfying so that there is reason to charge up completely with the blades.

Apart from those minor gripes the combat in this destroys GOW3 easily. Hoping the pacing and scale in this game matches GOW3 though I am not sure how they can do that given the epicness of GOW3

I had no doubt about the quality of the SC of GoW.A, the only thing I wonder, is if the multi player development cuted some ressources from the SC, and cut the lengh of that campaign....

I don't want to have a 5hours long campaign, I wat my 8 / 10 hours of pure epic hapiness! ;)

They said the game will be just more than the original GOW length and the environments will be as varied as GOW2. The bosses will also be bigger than GOW3.

AAK

I look at it this way, I feel that SSM spent a hell of a lot of time developing the engine and tools to make GOW3 before actively making the game itself. Now that the work is already done, I expect making a single player campaign the same magnitude of GOW3 would probably take 1/2 the time while the other half is spent on the multiplayer. Event hen the development of GOW:A might be expedited even more if SSM are using unused assets/backgrounds/etc. from GOW3 that just needs tuning rather than complete conception. I could be wrong and GOW:A is another title made completely from scratch but I doubt it.

Yeah. I loved the demo as well. The combat is silky smooth and way way better than GOW3. Playing GOW3 now feels sluggish by comparison. This one seems to be a perfect mix of accessibility and depth. My only complaint would be that the enemies should be more challenging because once you get your blades to burn you can destroy everyone in sight in the demo without batting an eyelid. Also the payoff for completely charging your blades and pressing L3 and R3 together is not as satisfying as I would have liked. Simply regaining health and manna is not too exciting. They should probably change that move according to enemy type and make it feel more epic or satisfying so that there is reason to charge up completely with the blades.

Apart from those minor gripes the combat in this destroys GOW3 easily. Hoping the pacing and scale in this game matches GOW3 though I am not sure how they can do that given the epicness of GOW3

Are you sure that's what it does? I just figured it wasn't working LOL.

Yeah the combat in this one is so damn satisfying. It feels more finely tuned like how Ghost of Sparta was IMO. But yeah I agree, once your Blades are on fire that's ball game. I'm sure it's just for the demo though. Enemies will be more challenging in the final game. I liked the hammer wielding enemy; his teleport attack is a nice touch.

I look at it this way, I feel that SSM spent a hell of a lot of time developing the engine and tools to make GOW3 before actively making the game itself. Now that the work is already done, I expect making a single player campaign the same magnitude of GOW3 would probably take 1/2 the time while the other half is spent on the multiplayer. Event hen the development of GOW:A might be expedited even more if SSM are using unused assets/backgrounds/etc. from GOW3 that just needs tuning rather than complete conception. I could be wrong and GOW:A is another title made completely from scratch but I doubt it.

Agreed. They did this samething with GOW2, they used all the hardwork from the first game on the 2nd game and came out with a better product. GOWA is clearly using the same engine as GOW3 it's just more finely tuned. I know people are concerned about the SP because of all this focus on the MP but the SP is what SSM does best. The only reason we haven't seen more of it is because they are trying to ensure they produce a great MP experience and they need all the feedback they can get before release. I'm certain we'll get a lot more vids and details of the single player come January.

thuway

I've heard the God of War Ascencion Single Player Campaign is short :(.

I'm sure this has been asked a lot but is this a remake of the 1st psp game which was a prequel? Or is this yet another story before GoW1?

V_Ben

Banned
Cancelling attacks? Pulling enemies in? This all sounds fantastic, and a great evolution of the series' combat. Oh gosh I can't wait.

meta4

Are you sure that's what it does? I just figured it wasn't working LOL.

Yeah the combat in this one is so damn satisfying. It feels more finely tuned like how Ghost of Sparta was IMO. But yeah I agree, once your Blades are on fire that's ball game. I'm sure it's just for the demo though. Enemies will be more challenging in the final game. I liked the hammer wielding enemy; his teleport attack is a nice touch.

Yup. Once you hit L3 and R3 he throws his blades at the enemy and then kind of does this pulling animation which kills the enemy instantly by setting him on fire and you regain health.
Yeah the hammer guy was nice!

I'm sure this has been asked a lot but is this a remake of the 1st psp game which was a prequel? Or is this yet another story before GoW1?

I believe this is chronologically the first chapter in the series predating even the psp ones.

vladdamad

Nope, new story set before the PSP game, so a prequel to a prequel, if you will. The first game chronologically in the GOW saga. I kinda wish they would have taken on a new mythology, something from the Norse gods perhaps, or maybe India, but anything new to do with GOW is just fine by me.

EDIT: Beaten

elbourreau

It makes sense. Hope you(re right, I really dont want to finish the single player campaign and say "What? That's it? Are you seriou?!"

GoW is one of my top 3 franchise and never desapointed me even on PSP!

I want god of war but the series keeps going more violent

2526d1312612520-if-you-lost-everything-how-would-you-rebuild-8de09-notsureifserious.jpg

Come on..... It's God of War......................

Played it on Gamescom, and really liked it. The combat is even more fluent than in GoW3 and a bit faster imho. I can't wait for the full game!

The game is set prior to first GOW PSP game. It's the prequel to the entire series essentially.

I want god of war but the series keeps going more violent and away from the greek mythology it started with

You may be underestimating how violent and fucked up Greek Mythology is.

Globox_82

Banned
I am not watching any SP trailer. Do you guys really need SP trailer, after 5 games? You know what you are getting, and SSM is not going to release crap.

meta4

I am not watching any SP trailer. Do you guys really need SP trailer, after 5 games? You know what you are getting, and SSM is not going to release crap.

This. I will buy it first day based on the quality of the previous games in the series. SSM have never made a bad game.

DieH@rd

Banned

Well, even when we know that Ghost of Sparta was a prequel, trailer managed to be very very epic.

Maybe it's because they haven't shown much but the game just seems to lack any ambition in the single player to provide something new or fresh.

Striek

Sony is botching the marketing.

Doesn't help that its being lumped in with the other GoW releasing at the same time as a pair of cynical end-of-gen phoned in cash grabs by the media. Sony hasn't communicated well enough if this truly has an SP of the scope and quality you expect from God of War in addition to MP. Also most people didn't ask for MP in God of War, so even if its a good addition in the end it was a terrible decision to market it around that.

RPGCrazied

I've heard the God of War Ascencion Single Player Campaign is short :(.

They always are, I beat all of the games in around 6 - 7 hours.

Nice to hear about the graphics, playing the multiplayer beta demo, something just feels off. Probably it looks like its not using any AA.

thuway

Nice to hear about the graphics, playing the multiplayer beta demo, something just feels off. Probably it looks like its not using any AA.

I don't understand Santa Monica :(. Why can't they just make a game that is 10-12 hours long. That is the perfect pacing for a game.

Dusky

Thanks for the impressions, sounds like it will be just as good as the others but it's a shame I'm not as hyped as I was for GoW3, I'll still get it though.

R1 is still the block button/modifier. It pretty much works like the previous games; when you hold R1 and press square, X or triangle, it unleashed a 3 to 4 hit combo. But unlike the previous games this can now be cancelled with R1. Actually, it could be cancelled in previous games to an extent but in this game you don't get "stuck" at any point and it goes much smoother. Holding R1 and pressing Circle will cause Kratos to sprint for a few meters and pressing another attack button will cause a special move (it works similarly to the charge in Ghost of Sparta).

Shouldn't this be L1?

The water looks weird coz that calm ocean will be a whirlpool in the final game.

To be honest, at Gamescom the water in the Assassin's Creed 3 demo right next to it made this water look positively last gen (which it is, a little bit). But the rest of the game still looks great.

BlazinAm

I don't understand Santa Monica :(. Why can't they just make a game that is 10-12 hours long. That is the perfect pacing for a game.

Normally a longer game means the mechanics get stretched out a bit. If it is a strong single player experience the length would not matter, ideally. Also I normally take about 8-10 hours to beat a GOW game.

Sid

For me they are always around 8-10 hours for the console ones,the PSP games are a bit shorter.

To be honest, at Gamescom the water in the Assassin's Creed 3 demo right next to it made this water look positively last gen (which it is, a little bit). But the rest of the game still looks great.
The water is supposed to be animated(whirlpool) which is why it looks iffy.

jett

D-Member

nuh uh. god of war 1 and 3 are about 8 hours long, but GOW2 easily takes up over 10 hours to beat the first time.

Normally a longer game means the mechanics get stretched out a bit. If it is a strong single player experience the length would not matter, ideally. Also I normally take about 8-10 hours to beat a GOW game.

No one wants quality reduced for arbitrary increases in length. Its never enjoyable when a game does this.

However more quality taking up more time is a great plus.
Personally I find it difficult to pay £40 for a 6 hour experience, so I suppose adding multi-player is a nice positive to this game in the end.

Top Bottom