• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension single player details

Loudninja

Some details from previews, psblogcast and tweets
-The game is GOW1 length
-Revamped combat and weapon system
-Promptless mini-games
-New puzzles
-The new composer is Tyler Bates
-New gameplay feature or features
-3D support
-The game will be more like GOW1 and GOW2
-It will have more color than GOW3.
-Bigger creatures than Polyphemus in SP.
-Variable framerate like past GOW titles
-Kratos model and clothes will be redone to reflect a younger version.
-You no longer struggle to open a chest, you just smash it now
-No story mode co-op
-More destruction than GOW3
-They are working on making all the features of the characters better than GOW3
-The game will have a variety of locations like past GOW games
-No big open environments
-Improved animation and a new collision system
-New cloth tech, new hair and skin shaders and revamped lighting
-New climbing system for point-to-point movement
-No Move or SIXAXIS controls
-Nudge ability added to the camera. It isn't complete control but allows you to see more of the environment.
https://twitter.com/#!/ToddPapy
Thats all we got so far.

PS blog livestream playback
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...r-announcement-live-from-santa-monica-studio/

This is a Nirolak approved topic :p

-The game is Gow1 length
-Revamped" combat and weapon system
-promptless" mini-games
-New puzzles
-The new composer is Tyler Bates
-New gameplay feature or features
-3D support
-The game will be more like GOW1 and GOW2.
-It will have more color than GOW3.
-Bigger creatures than Polyphemus in SP.
-Variable framerate like pass GOW titles
-Kratos model will be rebuild to reflect a younger version.
-No story mode co-op
-More destruction than GOW3
-They are working on making all the features of the characters better than GOW3
-The game will have a variety of locations like pass GOW games

So will we get a DMC style Kratos that people will call Kino?

I'm not familiar with this franchise. Why would "variable framerate" be a talking point?

Why not just lock the framerate?

Do you prefer locked 30 FPS or sometimes 45 fps then 30 FPS ?

Edit: I'm not implying that one is better than the other, just explaining the "variable framerate"

Kinyou

rH7Kc.gif

Afrikan

of course locked 30, since the constant switching between framerates creates an annoying stutter.

It doesn't switch like how expect it....you won't notice slowdowns that affect gameplay or the flow of the game, imo. It has to be played to be understood i guess...checkout GOW3 if you can.

Raonak

Banned
of course locked 30, since the constant switching between framerates creates an annoying stutter.

Nah, i'd say the variable framerate works better for GOW, since higher framerates are important for character action games.

S1kkZ

It doesn't switch like how expect it....you won't notice slowdowns that affect gameplay or the flow of the game, imo. It has to be played to be understood i guess...checkout GOW3 if you can.

i played through gow 3 (2 times) and the stutter (mostly during slow camera pans) really pissed me off. if you cant make it solid 60 fps, dont even bother and stick to 30.

Drencrom

Have you played GoW3? If you haven't it will probably change your mind about variable fps.

Edit: Seems like you already answered my question above my post. I thought it worked really well anyway.

Afrikan

i played through gow 3 (2 times) and the stutter (mostly during slow camera pans) really pissed me off. if you cant make it solid 60 fps, dont even bother and stick to 30.

oh ok....well that is your opinion....you do seem to have anger issues though. You shouldn't let camera pans like that really piss you off......imo.

So will we get a DMC style Kratos that people will call Kino?

This made me laugh way way way more than it should.

If you had told me I would be looking forward to a upcoming GOW game more than the upcoming DMC title 3 years ago I would thought you were smoking PCP.

How the mighty have fallen.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
God of War 3's frame rate was usually pretty stable -- between 30fps - 60fps and averaging at 45 fps. There were a few hiccups but they weren't really bothersome; variable fps shouldn't be an issue.

You no longer struggle to open a chest, you just smash it now.
Looks like they finally realized that struggling to open a chest was pointless and made no sense. :lol

Loudninja

God of War 3's frame rate was usually pretty stable -- between 30fps - 60fps and averaging at 45 fps. There were a few hiccups but they weren't really bothersome; variable fps shouldn't be an issue.

Looks like they finally realized that struggling to open a chest was pointless and made no sense. :lol
Yeah I never got that, chests was his strongest enemy lol.

test_account

XP-39C²
Very good news :) The new system about opening chest is also highly welcome. I hope it is the same with health/magic fountains as well.

Indeed. I actually though that GoW3 was 60fps until i've recently read that i was around 45fps. From what i can recall, i never noticed any slowdowns in GoW3.

Endo Punk

This made me laugh way way way more than it should.

If you had told me I would be looking forward to a upcoming GOW game more than the upcoming DMC title 3 years ago I would thought you were smoking PCP.

How the mighty have fallen.

On the same boat. Funny, SSM are bringing big changes to the franchise and remodelling the main character but I don't feel I need to worry, even with the inclusion of MP. Capcom are doing the same with DMC but there's a world of a difference. Perfect exampe of Good change and Bad change.

I always felt like the chests being difficult was to add to the tension of the combat. To create enough time to open a chest could be a delicate balance.

Kinyou

So this means Kratos was getting weaker if over time he struggled to open them.
Well I wouldn't be that nitpicky about it, but the way you had to open the chests always had a very God of War feel to me. Hell, even Dante's Inferno copied that 1:1.

It's not going to make the game worse or better but it just had some characteristic value to me.

Endo Punk

Well I wouldn't be that nitpicky about it, but the way you had to open the chests always had a very God of War feel to me. Hell, even Dante's Inferno copied that 1:1.

It's not going to make the game worse or better but it just had some characteristic value to me.

I agree, openinig chest was never an issue and I sort of enjoyed it. I just hope in Ascension chests are not in the middle of battle because I would hate to bash them accidently. I want to be able to relish in the moment knowing I am just about to get health/orbs/magic.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Dante's Inferno made you mash a button. You just hold a button in GOW, though people frequently misremember that. I'm glad they're changing it. When I replay this game, I'll be thankful that I can instantly smash chests open. I'm even more thankful that they're willing to break the continuity of the fiction for the sake of changes to the mechanics. It says to me they really want this to be its own game.

I always felt like the chests being difficult was to add to the tension of the combat. To create enough time to open a chest could be a delicate balance.

That was clearly the reason, but how often do you really need to open a chest during combat anyway? I think this is definitely one of the design choices that is due for a change.

injurai

Banned
Dante's Inferno made you mash a button. You just hold a button in GOW, though people frequently misremember that. I'm glad they're changing it. When I replay this game, I'll be thankful that I can instantly smash chests open. I'm even more thankful that they're willing to break the continuity of the fiction for the sake of changes to the mechanics. It says to me they really want this to be its own game.

That was clearly the reason, but how often do you really need to open a chest during combat anyway? I think this is definitely one of the design choices that is due for a change.

But you used to have to smash walls to get to chests which you pried open. Now we will be repeating the same action twice over. I think in general minor quirks in a game shouldn't be changed just to refine the experience. Instead they should be left as defining traits.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
But you used to have to smash walls to get to chests which you pried open. Now we will be repeating the same action twice over. I think in general minor quirks in a game shouldn't be changed just to refine the experience. Instead they should be left as defining traits.

Sometimes you smash walls to find chests but that really isn't on the list of things that define the GOW experience for me. I'll happily repeat the same action twice if it takes half the time.

Boss Man

I know it's just nitpicking, but I liked the way chests were handled before. You couldn't easily pop them open in the middle of a fight, and it added a bit of feeling to it or something.

I like promptless mini-games.

I love bigger enemies. (they were so epic already)

calling it again: black Kratos with no ashes

the game is set 6 months after he killed his family.

Didnt he get ashed right after he left the hut he murdered them in?

He is probably going to be ashy unless they do some flashbacks to a even younger pre Ares Kratos.

Top Bottom