• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

Man do I hate the "rotate your left stick clockwise or counter clockwise" motions that quicktime events force you to do. For some reason they never work right for me and on a boss battle it can take me forever to get the sequence down without something going wrong. :(

Kinan

JonnyBrad said:
I'm so fucking angry right now.

I bought GOW Collection so i could play these two pre God Of War 3. However i've made it thru to the "Courtyard of Atropos" on GOW2 and now the game is glitching at the crank ala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvoeVvWW6LI theres no way i can complete the game now as i can't do the puzzle and i only play off the one save.

So i either play through half the fucking game again and hope this time it doesn't glitch or just say fuck it and start GOW3.

Why didn't they fix this for the rerelease its a known bug!!!

ARGH!!

Well, because it was not ported by Santa Monica, I suppose.

I had a weird bug in GOW2 remake, in the fight with mirrors.
One of the sisters in a third or fourth step of the fight, where she was supposed to fly to the last mirror and protect it, well, she just ignored that and went into invisibility mode and was just flying around the room attacking me. I bashed her for more than 30min, and was cursing the difficulty of the fight, as she just ignored all my rage. :p Eventually I got tired and lost.
Next day I restarted from the last save and it went as intended.

DoctorWho said:
Man do I hate the "rotate your left stick clockwise or counter clockwise" motions that quicktime events force you to do. For some reason they never work right for me and on a boss battle it can take me forever to get the sequence down without something going wrong. :(

Was having similar problem too, but at the end it was just one of my controllers suffering from too much pressure I apply on it while playing football. :p With newer one it was fine.

JonnyBrad said:
I'm so fucking angry right now.

I bought GOW Collection so i could play these two pre God Of War 3. However i've made it thru to the "Courtyard of Atropos" on GOW2 and now the game is glitching at the crank ala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvoeVvWW6LI theres no way i can complete the game now as i can't do the puzzle and i only play off the one save.

So i either play through half the fucking game again and hope this time it doesn't glitch or just say fuck it and start GOW3.

Why didn't they fix this for the rerelease its a known bug!!!

ARGH!!

Why does the bug occur? I was there last night, glad I missed it (but I did lose 20hrs on Heavy Rain from a crash that killed my save).

I always use multiple slots in games when I can, its just too risky otherwise :( I guess you will in the future!

Also with the GOW2 on the Collection, there is a known glitch on the last group of bosses where it might not unlock the Trophy. You definitely should use multiple slots there so you can go back if it doesnt work as intended.

JonnyBrad

KennyLinder said:
Why does the bug occur? I was there last night, glad I missed it (but I did lose 20hrs on Heavy Rain from a crash that killed my save).

I have no idea - and judging by posts on forums no one else does. Lesson learned - i will have to start again at some point - i might just stick it on easy and rush thru ASAP. Still really annoying that they didn't fix this as it was talked about when it came about on PS2 and theres bags of Youtube vids documenting it. Highly lazy IMO. They could at least release a damn patch..

Yeah GOW2 on ps2 has an awful, game wrecking bug. My disc is in perfect condition and yet every time I get to "The Crossing Of The Lowlands" at the end of the swinging section the landing doesn't appear and the game crashes. EVERY. DAMN. TIME. So at least I have an incentive to buy the collection. I love GOW2 so much.

It got to 2AM this morning and I was at the 3rd Sister and simply had to stop (work really gets in the way of gaming life!). Even though I was aware of the Boss Batch 3 glitch and how "apparently" you should do Kraken and the three sisters in one sitting, I really had no choice. Sleep was needed.

Anyway, I woke up early this morning and finished the game off before work. The trophy unlocked for me, yay!

I now have the Challenges to do, Stone Shatter (I rarely used it in the game), and a bunch of Cyclops eyes and I am done. Oh, and to use my Urns. I guess I can start a new game with my old stuff carried across then?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fuck sakes, I am utterly terrible at doing a full revolution of the analogue stick to finish off the Gorgons. Nine times out of ten I stuff it up. I've just received the Blade of Artemas and while I can get through the first set of soldier beasts no trouble, as soon as the Gorgons show up I'm stuffed.

Still, it's not as bad it was with the PSP analogue stick. Oh dear God, Gorgon fights in GoW:CoO were horrifying. :lol

Minamu

KennyLinder said:
Just got Platinum in God of War II, it was crazy fun :)

Onto GoW III next week when I get my new TV :D
Got mine the day gow3 came out. Probably the easiest platinum I've ever gotten :S

JaseC

You have to be kidding me. Currently making my way through Hades in the original, at the part just before the spiked cylinder, where you have to battle your way through a few groups of minotaurs and archers. I managed to kill everything bar two minotaurs, however as I finished the QTE kill on one of them, Kratos thought it would be wise to leap from the body AND OVER THE SIDE OF THE CLIFF.

Back to square one. Fuck it, I'll resume the game later.

JaseC said:
You have to be kidding me. Currently making my way through Hades in the original, at the part just before the spiked cylinder, where you have to battle your way through a few groups of minotaurs and archers. I managed to kill everything bar two minotaurs, however as I finished the QTE kill on one of them, Kratos thought it would be wise to leap from the body AND OVER THE SIDE OF THE CLIFF.

:lol

I wish I could see that :D

I played God of War years ago and only played the first level before I stopped playing because I didn't like it very much. The other day I saw the collection for 24 bucks so I decided to pick it up. When I started playing it again, I remembered how much the first level of this game reminded me of the first level of Warrior Within. Also hate the save system, I can't just stop playing on a dime because theres 15-30 minutes between save points. Think I'm going to have to keep my PS3 on if I want to keep playing this game.

MYE

My buggy experience with GOW2 (PS2) was during the
Sisters of Fate fight.One of them just started to spazz out and i pretty much had to go through it all over again

KennyLinder said:
Just got Platinum in God of War II, it was crazy fun :)

Onto GoW III next week when I get my new TV :D

Are you going from SD to HD, or just a new HDTV?

If it was SD to HD, yes, do NOT put GoW3 in your PS3 until you get an HDTV :lol

Afrikan

I don't know what they did, but GOW2 from the collection looks beautiful on my PS3....this was before me starting and finishing GOW3 of course....

anyway my glitch was kind of weird, because I didn't know what to do or where to look to advance the level...

I was fighting
Zeus on top of that on rock platform, where you are suppose to throw him to some pillars....well the first one was fine.....got some orbs...fought him some more...then when Kratos threw him the second time.....Zeus just disappeared....he just wasn't there anymore...as if Kratos threw him off the cliff. So I was just running around trying to figure out what to do, hitting X on everything...and just waiting for Zeus to rise up and fight some more or something....but nothing....so I was just stuck and thought I couldn't figure out this "puzzle" and gave in to checking youtube, and to my surprise Kratos was suppose to throw Zeus into that other pillar :lol So I had to start that fight over again.....not a big deal, but it was funny at the time.

neoism

Got this yesterday, and beat GOW1 in one sitting. You can definitely see its the worst one.
The rotating spiky pillar thing you have to climb in Hades is probably one of the worst design decisions in a video game. It basically ruins the game for me. I died like 100 times. Still over all a great game, but that part is terrible.
I bought it for GOW2 anyway. I really should just get GOW3, it's the best one by far!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I seem to be kind of alone in this but I was more impressed by replaying the first than now making my way through the second. Sure, nothing is wrong with the 2nd--or, rather something is wrong but I can't put my finger on it but I'm guessing it's in the direction of the plot. It leaves me with the same feeling that Pirates of the Caribbean 2 did.

JaseC

TheThunder said:

I wish I could see that :D

I was completely pissed off. :lol Despite what I said, I resumed a minute or so later and had a great run up until Ares. It was nearing 3am and I just wanted the game to be over (I'm playing through GoW and GoW2 for no reason other than to re-jig my memory of the story) so, when prompted I switched to Easy (was playing on Hard).

Haven't started GoW2 yet. Really looking forward to it, though. Oh how I love the Steeds of Time.

Been playing GoW2 so I can get caught up for 3, and I have to say that everything has been quite an improvement over the first, except maybe story. It's getting me all that much more excited to play the third game.

JaseC

Started GoW2 today. Shit looks amazing.

Kinda wish Chains of Olympus was ported to the PS2 so it could've been included in the Collection. I say "kinda" since it's short and completely unessential, however I wouldn't say 'no' to playing through it again at 720p60.

neoism said:
Got this yesterday, and beat GOW1 in one sitting. You can definitely see its the worst one.
The rotating spiky pillar thing you have to climb in Hades is probably one of the worst design decisions in a video game. It basically ruins the game for me. I died like 100 times. Still over all a great game, but that part is terrible.
I bought it for GOW2 anyway. I really should just get GOW3, it's the best one by far!
took me about an hour to beat that. Just retarded.

sdornan

JaseC said:

Kinda wish Chains of Olympus was ported to the PS2 so it could've been included in the Collection. I say "kinda" since it's short and completely unessential, however I wouldn't say 'no' to playing through it again at 720p60.

That would have been fantastic. I haven't played it, want to play it, and have no intention to get a PSP.

Also, GoW1 > GoW2 > GoW3.

CrankyJay

Banned
Still playing through GOW1. Never played this series before. My wife and I are both blown away by how fun it is. She asks me every night if she can watch me play. :lol

She likes helping find hidden rooms etc. On more than one occasion she has helped me when I was stuck. :lol

edit: btw how many
muse keys
are there? I got a trophy for them and was like wtf? That was easy.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
CrankyJay said:
edit: btw how many
muse keys
are there? I got a trophy for them and was like wtf? That was easy.

There are
three muse keys. You use them to unlock a secret room in Pandora's temple

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hey sorry for the bump. Just wondering if someone can answer a question for me.

Are the game saves locked on this game? I've got 2 ps3's and need to know which one I should start the game on or if it matters?

Thanks.

JaseC said:

Heck yeah man, I'd shell out some cash for A God of War collection that had upgraded Chains of Olympus and the cell phone game, Betrayal on it. Or even downloadable versions

Ranger X

So I just finished God of War 2 ...

*bows *bows

OMG, I wasn't disappointed. This is simply the best "modern beat 'em up" EVER. And easily. Also quite flabergasting how much improved this is from God of War 1.

Now I'm tempted to go through the bonus play but heh, too many games to play.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
sdornan said:
That would have been fantastic. I haven't played it, want to play it, and have no intention to get a PSP.

Also, GoW1 > GoW2 > GoW3.

It's more like (well for me anyway) GoW2 >= GoW3 > GoW1

scitek said:
Really? I think GoW1 barely stands up at all after the improvements that were 2 and 3. It hasn't aged well to me.

God of War has some of those really frustrating moments. I don't even think I need to mention the entire path of hades level (particularly the pillars) but then it also suffers from some bugs that made it very frustrating for me. Particularly in the beginning with all the tightrope walking on the ships. Kratos had this hilarious tendency to walk onto the platforms and fall straight off to an instant death.

Then there's convenience stuff like the expanded fast climbing and the more polished and varied weapons and combat.

krameriffic said:
God of War has some of those really frustrating moments. I don't even think I need to mention the entire path of hades level (particularly the pillars) but then it also suffers from some bugs that made it very frustrating for me. Particularly in the beginning with all the tightrope walking on the ships. Kratos had this hilarious tendency to walk onto the platforms and fall straight off to an instant death.

Then there's convenience stuff like the expanded fast climbing and the more polished and varied weapons and combat.

I triple platinumed GoW 1-3 and loved them all. 2 is my favourite and in hindsight I had the most problems with 1. The minor thing I hated the most was the fact that it would take sooo long to fill up 10.000 orbs in your weapons in GoW1 :lol ,2 and 3 did that better. I also never really understood why they counted orb bars in Gow1 and not just the total amount of orbs in the HUD.

TTG

Funny that I should see this thread come up, I have been making my way through both games this whole week before I move on to God of War 3. Some thoughts on the difficulty settings:

Ran through the first on normal in about 8 hours(played this one the ps2). Spent the whole game basically learning how to chain certain combos, never had to resort to Titan's Rage(was it called something else in the first? Arie's Rage? :lol ). There was never a need to block actually or use any of the magic. Nice and stress free. Even all these years later, I don't get the complaints about Hades and the platforming involved. It probably took me less than 5 minutes to make it up the pillars, less than one life bar.

So, when I started God of War 2 I decided to bump it up to hard. I am some 12 or 13 hours in(according to the save system, who knows what it actually is
resurrecting the phoenix now, looks like things are wrapping up
)It was a very natural progression from the first game's normal. Having to learn to use some restraint, learn some patterns and getting the general timing of the game down was great. I almost forgot what that was like considering Ninja Gaiden 2 was a long time ago. :lol If I was playing this game separately, I probably wouldn't complain, but as it stands there is one thing that is bothering me. The boss fights are starting to wear on me. Some of the harder arena style fights are gonna require a bit of repetition, that's fine, but combining that with the bosses which take a considerable amount repetition and have multiple phases... it's a bit much. It's tough because I feel about 85% of the game is at a perfect difficulty curve, but that last 15% is a bit of a pain. As I said, if this was a standalone game it wouldn't bother me, but playing all 3 one after another and having a limited amount of time to do it in; every frustrating bit is amplified.

So, I'm wondering: How do the difficulty setting in God of War 2 compare to 3? Should I take it back down to normal or leave it on hard for the final game? How's the difficulty of the bosses? If it's worth it, great. But it will be 30+ hours(at least, if I don't go back for any extras) of God of War in a span of less than 3 weeks or so. I have a feeling my patience will be wearing rather thin.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Playing thru the first GoW, I am at the end and can't get past the part where you have to
defend your family
. I am playing on hard, anybody have some advice?

Ranger X said:
So I just finished God of War 2 ...

*bows *bows

OMG, I wasn't disappointed. This is simply the best "modern beat 'em up" EVER. And easily. Also quite flabergasting how much improved this is from God of War 1.

Now I'm tempted to go through the bonus play but heh, too many games to play.

Play God of War III now :mad:

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
RamzaIsCool said:
Playing thru the first GoW, I am at the end and can't get past the part where you have to
defend your family
. I am playing on hard, anybody have some advice?

This section was probably the only pain in the ass for me when I played through it my first time on the PS2 on hard. I'd take the Hades section over this any day. I simply went with spamming square square triangle which will do damage to groups and stun the enemies. Just move around and sst, heal them when you can, and pray. Took me FOREVER.

JonnyBrad

RbBrdMan said:
Hey sorry for the bump. Just wondering if someone can answer a question for me.

Are the game saves locked on this game? I've got 2 ps3's and need to know which one I should start the game on or if it matters?

Thanks.

They're transferable...

CrankyJay

Banned
Finished GOW1. What a fantastic game. I really enjoyed it.

I got to challenge 10 of the God Challenges and I could not finish the fucking thing after 200+ tries (6 hours). Any helpful tips for this one?

I got so close, was about to jump on the final platform and one of the twirly stick guys knocked me off! Was screaming at the TV.

I'm stuck...

I'm at the challenge of Poseidon where you have to push the soldier up the hill to sacrifice him but I can't make it. I get almost to the top but the enemies spawn too quickly for me to push him that extra little bit. I remember beating this on god mode for ps2 but I can't beat this for the life of me. :/ Any tips?

Edit: Nvm, I just suck.

GamaFu

Banned
I was quite enjoying the game. However, the balance beam in The Challenge of Hades and the spikes shoot up from ground thing in Cliffs of Madness both frustrate me too much to a point where I really hesitate to go back. Yes, I admit, I suck at action game, I am not exactly the most skilled player out there, but I still like to play through the game. Just like I suck at shooter game, but I had great time playing uncharted, bioshock, and mass effect.

This has me thinking, why would game level designers want to frustrate players? :( For some reason, even though uncharted has the similar things, I'd never thought to stop playing/trying, it's just plain fun. I just couldn't wait to see how the story ends. However, it's not the same in god of war... This is something even changing difficulty setting won't help.

Speaking of difficulty setting, I made a mistake changing to easy mode back when fighting multiple Cerberus (both big and small ones). And now, there's no way to change it back... The game has become a bit too easy, but I am near the end. Don't want to replay the whole thing again... :(

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
*sigh* I guess i will have to wait 2 more weeks to get hte collection, I hate having GoW 3 sitting there not playing it, argh!

aerts1js

I just beat God of War 1 from the collection and the game was great! The visuals were fantastic. Although, I feel that Chains of Olympus was the better game. On to God of War 2 in a few days! :)

CrankyJay

Banned
Finished GoW 1 and I thought it was a charming game, enjoyed it alot. But now that I'm playing GoW 2....WOW....what a game. I'm thoroughly enjoying this series. I plan on trying to get the platinums...it's sort of a policy of mine to try to get platinum trophies on game I absolutely enjoy to get the most out of them.

NIGHT-

Just started playing God Of War 1 and noticed the video sequences look terrible compared to the rest of the game. Why is this?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
NIGHT- said:
Just started playing God Of War 1 and noticed the video sequences look terrible compared to the rest of the game. Why is this?

because those are videos (just like in the original game) and hence can't be upgraded as the real time graphics.

ZeroRay

NIGHT- said:

They don't have the original CG videos in HD so they just stuck them in the game without any improvements.

ascii42

NIGHT- said:
They are originally in 480p, like the game was originally. They didn't rerender them for the Collection

Top Bottom