• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War: Combat is still fast, No QTE, spirit of a classic fantasy adventure game

Tonky

Also, has there been any speculation as to who was talking during the trailer? It sounded like Loki, but it could really be anyone.

Degen

No QTE? You mean I won't have to imagine what's happening to a boss character while I look around the screen for button prompts?

Loudninja

Same. The narrative focus definitely screams a longer playtime. At least longer than GoW3's 10 or so hours.

Yeah this to me sounds longer then all previous games.
I would say that action/adventure is squarely where we are suited. We’re definitely not open-world, but we’re kind of this interesting "super-wide linear" in the sense that the world has a greater sense of scale. We’re really encouraging the player to say “Hey, what’s that over there? I’d like to go check it out.” We’re not forcing them. We don’t force you to go find something, but when you do, you are rewarded. You are rewarded with things like “Wow, there’s an entire level over here!” And I think that sense of discovery is so important. Linearity can drive you through this fantastic story – you’re always going to be driven forward by the development and arc of the characters – but at any given point in this game, you can pull the lever on the bus and stop to look around, and then get back on the bus and keep going. Seamlessly integrating that, making it feel like it’s not a chore and you’re rewarded for it, that’s the big trick of this game. That’s the big play, to make it feel like you’re not just going down a hallway. To always feel like there’s a “why.”
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/g...2017/06/14/god-of-war-director-interview.aspx

Artdayne

Eh, whatever you say. I've never seen a third person over the shoulder camera game like this one have fast and fluid combat. It always feels slow and clunky to play, like you're waving through water.

Dragon's Dogma? For Honor is also over the shoulder and some of the characters are very fast in that game.

camac002

My only concern is that this will be a pretty short game

Everything sounds great though

Really? From the way Cory has been talking, I expect at the minimum a TLOU/AssCreed length of say 15+ hours (in comparison to say a 10 hour average for the previous games), and if we can take his statement about being able to find whole optional levels at face value, it could start pushing toward a Souls game type length.

I can't stop watching that trailer man. The combo where he's constantly throwing the axe looks so damn good
Yeah, it's one of those rare game trailers I can watch again and again, not merely because it's a game I'm excited for but because how well paced it is, and all the great beats throughout.

The combat
The variety in locations
The voice acting
Those great little moments like Kratos seeing the vase
"Wait here...I will handle this"
"No place for a boy...you must be a warrior"
The final shot teasing the kind of epic scale you'd expect from the series, and then subverting your expectations

Kinda hard to imagine that, since it's a single-shot game.

Can't wait to play this.
Being a single shot has nothing to do with length. Gameplay is always "one shot" when you're playing; it's the transition between areas and in cutscenes that will be interesting.

Yeah, it's one of those rare game trailers I can watch again and again, not merely because it's a game I'm excited for but because how well paced it is, and all the great beats throughout.

The combat
The variety in locations
The voice acting
Those great little moments like Kratos seeing the vase
"Wait here...I will handle this"
"No place for a boy...you must be a warrior"
The final shot teasing the kind of epic scale you'd expect from the series, and then subverting your expectations
In still not buying it with jormungandr he's using us

In still not buying it with jormungandr he's using us
Oh definitely, but I don't expect a fight to break out. At least not during the moment shown in the trailer. Like a boss fight is probably inevitable, but it would be a waste to end the trailer on such a tease and then just have Kratos start fighting it right there

Tonky

How would Kratos even fight Jormungandr? That axe wouldn't do shit lol. Unless he was able to get Pandora's Box again and become a giant like at the end of the original God of War..damn that would be an epic boss fight.

Being a single shot has nothing to do with length. Gameplay is always "one shot" when you're playing; it's the transition between areas and in cutscenes that will be interesting.

Well, they have to keep the game interesting without fading to black screen (explaining the lore, or past stuff) or showing cutscenes from other parts of the world (remember that GoW3 cutscene with all the Gods at the beginning of GoW3?), so if the game is lengthy then they have to keep it interesting throughout, and I'm excited to see how they do that.

How would Kratos even fight Jormungandr? That axe wouldn't do shit lol. Unless he was able to get Pandora's Box again and become a giant like at the end of the original God of War..damn that would be an epic boss fight.
He's killed bigger
gLhxfwnl.jpg

Oh definitely, but I don't expect a fight to break out. At least not during the moment shown in the trailer. Like a boss fight is probably inevitable, but it would be a waste to end the trailer on such a tease and then just have Kratos start fighting it right there
We're definitely not fighting him but he's most likely Getting us involved with ragnarok kratos and Atreus finding him on a boat of all things was telling too like thors fishing trip
He got him with bait in a way too

Well, they have to keep the game interesting without fading to black screen (explaining the lore, or past stuff) or showing cutscenes from other parts of the world (remember that GoW3 cutscene with all the Gods at the beginning of GoW3?), so if the game is lengthy then they have to keep it interesting throughout, and I'm excited to see how they do that.
I'd have murals and other Norse runes and art throughout the world, Kratos can't read the inscriptions but his son can. World building on the go and at your leisure

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Keep in mind that now that you can freely look around the environment from every angle and there are collectibles and crafting materials to search for, the game will be longer just by virtue of the player spending more time in each area than they would in a comparable area in the previous GOW games. So unless they cut way down on distinct areas (which would suck and be a bad move) this game should be at least as long as the longest GOW to date.

Tonky

Another interesting point is how the game starts off. Is Kratos still in Greece? Does it just do a time jump? How much time is even in between God of War 3 and God of War?

_Nemo

I wonder what the plan is for future games. Like..are they going to go the previous route where its 3 main trilogy games per mythology? Or will they cram all Norse gods into a single game and have each next game be a new mythology.

I'd have murals and other Norse runes and art throughout the world, Kratos can't read the inscriptions but his son can. World building on the go and at your leisure
Here is the thing though, those stuff will most likely be optional. So they have to find the right balance of feeding you the right amount of info about the world, past events and characters, without relying too much on those optional parts, because there will be people (even some of the fans of earlier GoWs) who will skip those parts. So, the game has to explain enough so they won't will lost or lacking when it comes to story, characters, world, etc.

Keep in mind that now that you can freely look around the environment from every angle and there are collectibles and crafting materials to search for, the game will be longer just by virtue of the player spending more time in each area than they would in a comparable area in the previous GOW games. So unless they cut way down on distinct areas (which would suck and be a bad move) this game should be at least as long as the longest GOW to date.
Oh yeah, you are absolutely right. I didn't think about it that way.

Though, now that you've mentioned this, I wonder how they are gonna handle going through each environment. Like if at some point during the game, we need to gather some material for whatever reason, do we have to backtrack the way we have come after finding those materials? That could become a bit annoying.

Loudninja

I wonder what the plan is for future games. Like..are they going to go the previous route where its 3 main trilogy games per mythology? Or will they cram all Norse gods into a single game and have each next game be a new mythology.
I doubt they will just have just one game with Norse mythology.

Seems great! I'm guessing the QTEs are just replaced with in game cutscenes that are meant to reward you after struggling with the real combat (i.e. the way it should be). I wonder if they're gonna even explain if this is the same world as the originals. Was he was just teleported into one one of the hinted worlds in Ascension? Or are they leaving it ambiguous?

Seems great! I'm guessing the QTEs are just replaced with in game cutscenes that are meant to reward you after struggling with the real combat (i.e. the way it should be). I wonder if they're gonna even explain if this is the same world as the originals. Was he was just teleported into one one of the hinted worlds in Ascension? Or are they leaving it ambiguous?
Sounds like there are still QTEs, but rather than random prompts, you press the logical button to perform the action (punch, axe, dodge, etc.)

That treasure hideout doesn't have Kratos vase as the only Greek trophy. Look closely, you will notice a Greek helmet and other items.

valkyre

I hope fans craving for the same old shit once again, wont eventually manage to ruin this game and the original vision of its creators...

So we've seen niflheim and we've seen beings from
Muspelheim Any other guesses to locations

The presence of dwarves could indicate we're venturing to their home (I forget its name in Norse myth) and the portion in the trailer where Kratos and son are canoeing past glowing flowers looks a lot to me like it could be a depiction of Asgard. It has a distinctly otherworldly feel to it.

I'm really curious how they'll handle the cosmology overall, since there are a great many ways to interpret it. If they handle them as entirely different worlds, which is one of the ways I most enjoy, the game could be staggering.

I'm still not sold entirely on the new direction, I'd like to see a massive boss fight on the scale of the prior God of War games. It's really hard to argue with that trailer, though. Kid firing lightning arrows is extremely cool, and it makes me wonder what sort of power he'll get as the game goes on or how his growth will be developed.

I can definitely see this game being a build up for Ragnarok with the next game acting as God of War 3.
Jupp. Don't see Ragnarok happening in this one. But who knows? Maybe Ragnarok already happend and all the Gods are dead? :O

Man, I really can't wait to play this game. Wasn't that hyped for a game since Bloodborne.

We know that there won't be sex mini games in this game, but what about nudity? The ESRB rating doesn't say anything about that. God Of War: Ascension didn't have sex mini games with Kratos, given that SSM wanted to make him more human and less beastly, but the game still had sex scenes and nudity in a brothel.
Will we still see some nudity in this God Of War, knowing that many mythological figures were portrayed naked?

sflufan

Banned
I wonder if Ragnarok will be in it

Yeah so about Jormungandr wanting to help Kratos..

As I posted in the other thread, it domewhat makes sense that Jörmungandr (the World Serpent) from the trailer would want to ally himself with Kratos. In Norse mythology, Jörmungandr is the arch-enemy of Thor and when it releases its tail, Ragnarök will begin. In the prophecy of the final battle, Thor kills Jörmungandr before walking nine steps and falling dead.

If the Norse beings are aware of who Kratos is and what he has done (as has been indicated in developer interviews), then it stands to reason that Jörmungandr views Kratos as a "god killer" who can possibly change the outcome of the prophecy.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Some of you need to play God Hand if you think games with a close over the shoulder camera can't have fast, responsive and in depth combat. Hell God Hand has more depth and nuance than all 3 mainline God of War games combined.

Top Bottom