• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War comic released in March (Fallen God - set after III and before 2018)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/god-of-war-prequel-comic-fallen-god-arrives-this-march-2849200
Sale: https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/3005-158/God-of-War-Fallen-God-1

FPaQOH.jpg

Eq8UbcsUwAEdpZk
Eq8UbqRVoAEExS7

Fans who have been clamouring for more about Kratos’ journey between the events of God Of War III and 2018’s God Of War will get their answers soon.

Dark Horse Comics has announced a March 10 release date for the first installment of the God Of War prequel comic series, titled Fallen God. The comic will be set right after the events of God Of War III, following Kratos’ slaying of Zeus.

The comic book in the series will chronicle Kratos’ escape from Greece after he slays the Greek gods, battling his inner self on his journey to Norway. “Kratos rages against the one foe that has proven to be unconquerable – himself. But a war against oneself is unwinnable, and only invites madness,” reads the comics description.

It is currently unclear how many issues will be released for the series. God Of War: Fallen God #1 was originally scheduled to launch in June last year, but was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This seems like the perfect filler plotline that would've (previously) been made into a game, but I guess We Multimedia Now. Personally, I hate when videogame franchises go this route. Gimme another Ghost of Sparta / Chains of Olympus, or even an Ascension. GOW 2018 sold well enough to at least deserve a standalone DLC (like infamous First Light).

This seems like the perfect filler plotline that would've (previously) been made into a game, but I guess We Multimedia Now. Personally, I hate when videogame franchises go this route. Gimme another Ghost of Sparta / Chains of Olympus, or even an Ascension. GOW 2018 sold well enough to at least deserve a standalone DLC (like infamous First Light).
Maybe its not action/ adventure history. More of a reflection time and self battle. In gameplay this could be boring. But who knows? Personally I would like a game too.

Yoboman

I personally think they should be more selective in what makes it to being a game. All formulas have a shelf life before they go stale and I think all the spin offs contributed to God of War feeling stale very quickly under the old formula

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I personally think they should be more selective in what makes it to being a game. All formulas have a shelf life before they go stale and I think all the spin offs contributed to God of War feeling stale very quickly under the old formula
There are two halves to the typical God of War game, the combat itself and the plot.

Personally, the plot is a ripoff of a ripoff in my eyes. I'm not saying it's bad or poorly-told, but it's hardly a story worth fleshing out. On the other hand, Chains of Olympus was an incredible game (GoS less so, if only for being second) and Ascension wasn't bad. Since they're going AssCreed with the series now as Kratos tours the ancient pantheons, there's plenty of room for new scenarios and worlds with no need to expand on the story itself.

But nowadays there's a graphic novel and pop vinyl and collectible coin for everything, I guess.

Last edited:

Yoboman

There are two halves to the typical God of War game, the combat itself and the plot.

Personally, the plot is a ripoff of a ripoff in my eyes. I'm not saying it's bad or poorly-told, but it's hardly a story worth fleshing out. On the other hand, Chains of Olympus was an incredible game (GoS less so, if only for being second) and Ascension wasn't bad. Since they're going AssCreed with the series now as Kratos tours the ancient pantheons, there's plenty of room for new scenarios and worlds with no need to expand on the story itself.

But nowadays there's a graphic novel and pop vinyl and collectible coin for everything, I guess.
I generally think a franchise has 4 entries before it becomes a bit stale. Really 3, but you can stretch it to 4 and that stale feeling really only affects sales and reception after the 4th game if you don't go back and reboot things a little

God of War 1, 2, 3 and COO had all come out and then interest dropped drastically for Ghost of Sparta and Ascension

So I think they should be selective in how they make use of this reinvigorated formula because they will have to go back to the drawing board in another 3 games. Don't waste time on DLC

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Continuing to build on God of War 3 is great I thought there were too many plot holes between God of War 3 and God of War 2018.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I liked the gap, let you imagine what actually happened. Seemed good to me. Gives them a chance to drop in sprinkles later.

Not every bit of every story needs to be told.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony going full Disney making you buy and consume every last scrape that gets shit out for you to get a full canon story.

kimmy schmidt dog GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Honestly, God of War shits in all Marvel+DC childish characters. It might turn out good for them instead of banking on Spider-man. It should be elevated to Sony Pictures.

jaysius

Banned
Honestly, God of War shits in all Marvel+DC childish characters. It might turn out good for them instead of banking on Spider-man. It should be elevated to Sony Pictures.
Maybe the new God Of War and the old God of War 1 and 2. 3 got a little crappy.

I agree we should see a spin-off series or movie of God Of War.

I think a series would be better though with HBO level budgets though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Maybe the new God Of War and the old God of War 1 and 2. 3 got a little crappy.

I agree we should see a spin-off series or movie of God Of War.

I think a series would be better though with HBO level budgets though.

Yeah I would love a series! With their new approach of exploring new realms they can even make some fuckery and make him travel through time to Egyptian mythology for example, or Indian, Persian, Japanese, Aztec etc.

Top Bottom