• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Creator David Jaffe: Fuck Video Game Journalists

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
don't click
MA25DrG.png

Maguro

Nobody is afraid to say that. The difference between a journalist and me is he/she gets paid for the same bs which I call individual opinion.

Can anyone provide context?
Six years ago Jaffe proposed an idea to crowdfund games journalists. Games journos called him an idiot. Now certain games journos are funded by Patreon so he's saying 'I told you so.'

I'd rather he criticised those who have no interest in actually playing games and instead use their position to virtue signal and push their own political agendas.

Six years ago Jaffe proposed an idea to crowdfund games journalists. Games journos called him an idiot. Now certain games journos are funded by Patreon so he's saying 'I told you so.'

I'd rather he criticised those who have no interest in actually playing games and instead use their position to virtue signal and push their own political agendas.

Interesting. Crowdfund game journalists? How would that work? So specific game journalists chosen to get funded and then they could do their obligations without being economically biased?

Interesting. Crowdfund game journalists? How would that work? So specific game journalists chosen to get funded and then they could do their obligations without being economically biased?
Basically. He proposed raising $100 grand per year to which journos scoffed and said they don't earn anywhere near that. Jaffe is now saying that through Patreon, certain journos earn even more.

angelic

Banned
Jaffes great, and correct a lot of the time. I despise modern games journos. Theyre even worse on twitter, circling their pitiful wagons, moaning about everything, whipping up fake outrage, acting like rockstars. I'm old, and have forgotten more about games than half of them ever knew, yet they try to lecture me on gaming with their insipid crybaby tweets. Fuck 'em.

edit. I do like Jason Schreir, most of the time. And Gerstman. Just not the majority outrage merchants.

Last edited:

bati

Lmao what. There is not a single games journalist in the world that deserves 100k a year. For a journalist's opinion on games to hold any weight he'd literally have to be tied skill wise with the top 1% of the players for that particular game AND have encyclopedic knowledge of the whole genre he's reporting on.

Instead we got these assholes who move from one game to another, playing on easy and submitting reviews before they even finish playing. If you go to a random Reddit or forum thread you could spit at your screen and hit 20 people who'd be more qualified to be games journalists.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I like David Jaffe. $100k a year to write about games? I'd write a book and have a couple Barnes & Noble signing sessions for that much. Oh wait.. we have someone who has done that already. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

angelic

Banned
i dont hate the guy, but why the constant chip on the shoulder.

Jaffe? I guess because he's seen his work poorly covered by these nitwits for years.

Me? Because I'm a bit of a dick.

I was banned for saying 'triggered' on the other forum btw.

I was banned for saying that 2 milly person and Carlton would lose their dance lawsuits, which they did.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

The thing is, most of these journalists don't want to be journalists. They're using that job as a stepping stone to get in with a developer and that means not pissing any developers off, which means by and large not saying anything contentious, which means you are fucking worthless as a journalist.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

I like that Jaffe says what everybody in the gaming industry thinks but are too afraid to say it.

But it's exactly what i was say it and i did a thread months ago. =O

Even i put one rule for gamers: Dont trust reviews.

Come on, do not tell me you've barely noticed Jaffe.

angelic

Banned
The thing is, most of these journalists don't want to be journalists. They're using that job as a stepping stone to get in with a developer and that means not pissing any developers off, which means by and large not saying anything contentious, which means you are fucking worthless as a journalist.

Hilariously true. Remember the 1up show? A bunch of people desperate for industry jobs, who's "integrity" crumbled the instant they got one.

PrCat88

Most game journalists are a joke, and have been for years. Then again, I find the state of journalism in general to be a joke as well.

Fbh

His video isn't even about gaming media sucking as much as its about how he had the idea of crowdfunded journalists several years ago.

Anyway, to a degree I think he has a point. The problem with most media is that no one wants to pay for it anymore so they go for the clickbaity shit. Why spend weeks researching something to get 1000 clicks if you can be like "The problem with the lack of genderfluid representation in gaming" and get like 5000 clicks.

I was merely trying to figure where the guy from OP is working at the moment.

As far as I know, nowhere.
After finishing work on God of War he went on to make Twisted Metal for Ps3 which got mixed reviews and launched with a bunch of technical issues which quickly killed most of the small user base, then he opened his own studio and the only game they released before closing was Drawn to Death which was released for free on Ps+ and also died fairly quickly

Top Bottom