• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Creator David Jaffe: Fuck Video Game Journalists

angelic

Banned
Who are you talking about?

Shane the ultra Sony fanboy who eventually got a job for them, Shoe the Microsoft fanboy who gave Perfect Dark Zero an insanely high score, formerly acerbic critic Luke Smith who rolled over to be tickled by Bungie, the list goes on. They were all courting industry jobs under the guise of journalism.

When I worked in the game industry in Santa Monica, I used to go to this EB at the mall where all the employees there were total kiss ups if they knew you were in the industry, but would treat you like crap if they didn't. Like, they'd act all high and mighty, like they were lords of the video game domain. But then they ask you what you do, and you say, I'm a programmer down the street at XYZ, and their entire demeanor becomes one of reverence. They started trying to give me discounts on things and trying to give me preferential treatment. Happened more than one. It was kind of offputting.

I imagine that's what game journalists are like.

Nymphae

Banned
Shane the ultra Sony fanboy who eventually got a job for them, Shoe the Microsoft fanboy who gave Perfect Dark Zero an insanely high score, formerly acerbic critic Luke Smith who rolled over to be tickled by Bungie, the list goes on. They were all courting industry jobs under the guise of journalism.

Yeah, idk. I always generally liked Shoe's work at EGM, he didn't feel like a shill to me but it was hard to know what was going on back in the pre-internet EGM days. I'm sure there was an element of wanting to get into games journalism to parlay it into an industry gig.

Shane wore his biases on his sleeve for sure, but idk, that's what I always liked about him. I still enjoy his guest appearances on various pods from time to time, I think he does the 8-4 show now and then.

Don't know much about Luke but I enjoyed the whole 1up Yours crew(s).

angelic

Banned
Okay, now how do we stop him?

nZAi6G-VifAA2ft-wlReuom4XcE=.gif

Video game journalist is an oxymoron. All they do is repeat what publishers tell them to say and when it's ok to say it. Not all are bad but most of them are publisher puppets.

Ive got news for you, humans have preferences. Even you.

Saber

Gold Member
I respect him. Even more now because we got some nasty culture about video games, as if games were satanic or hurt their feelings(mind you, some gamers act like that as well, as if your opinion or taste hurts them). Worst thing is that most of them pretend that films and series don't exist, or what I call "dont touch mah stuff".

Top Bottom