• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

I can't believe how amazing this game sounds.

And I was so done with Kratos. I was so done with God of War. There is no way to grow up this series for 2016, I said. This is a juvenile property best left in 2005, I said.

Then all this comes out and I am so humbled to admit how wrong I was. Santa Monica is showing me everything I didn't think God of War could be.

And I love it.

I mean for all intents and purposes you're absolutely right. This here is a different beast altogether. In order to finally get a mature kratos, he had to be placed in a practically completely different game.

The only thing I wanna know is if Kratos is still a shitty dickwad.

New changes sound cool, but I'll wait and see before buying this since it's starring Kratos again.

Kimawolf

This looks promising.I am finally looking forward to it and I never liked GoW.

Kratos is infinitely more likeable now.Hope he doesnt devolve into an asshole again though.

Yeah some of the shit he did in prior games... man imagine him doing that with his kid there.

"Yes son! Rip out his still beating heart as I jam the spear down his throat, then we rip him in half!"

hopefully the kid ages as time goes on lol.

N.Domixis

Banned
This is going to kill the brand. GOW fans will go in expecting a GoW game and they will get something completely different. Should have just made it a new IP.

Monocle

Between these details and the demo, this is suddenly one of my most anticipated games.

This is going to kill the brand. GOW fans will go in expecting a GoW game and they will get something completely different.
I got the sense they were highlighting new elements. I doubt they're going to scrap the action and set pieces that form the core of the series.

"There’s a single button dedicated to your son"

This is

the greatest quote about an upcoming video game feature to come out of E3

23qwerty

Didn't they say this isn't going to be open world? How are they going to do that in a single uninterrupted shot/no cutscenes/etc?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

This is

I'm so glad they took a solid series in an endangered genre and turned it into a dad sim drama game.

Still, I understand that this is going to be more popular.

Didn't they say this isn't going to be open world? How are they going to do that in a single uninterrupted shot/no cutscenes/etc?

I don't understand the question. It's a linear game where all the areas are connected and you travel through them in real time.

Alienous

I hope, in true TLOU fashion, there's brick throwing involved in Kratos' relationship with his son. Except I get to throw the brick at the kid's head.

Monocle

This is

Perhaps at the end of the game, after all of their trials and travails together, Kratos will find it in his heart to dedicate two buttons to his son.

Tambini

Can't say crafting was something I wanted in my God of War..unless I can craft some blades of chaos asap. Still don't know how to feel about this..where's my hit counter too

Loris146

They didn't say that. Cutscenes are in real time ( just like gow 3 IIRC) so there is no transition between gameplay and them. At least this is my interpretation.

Nere

I don't see how people are liking this. Everything they say goes against what God of War stands for. I mean I can understand people liking it if they hated kratos then okey because this portayal is the exact opposite of how he was in the previous games. And people really are excited for babysitting his kid the whole game? I really don't see the appeal. Plus Rpg elements yay because we really don't have those in every single game for absolutely no reason. Everything about this screams to me it should had been a new IP.

B.O.O.M

I'm going to have to accept that I was wrong about the lack of TLOU influence now, at least in the relationship aspect.

So friggin excited for this game....wonder what we can craft

____

Doesn't GOW usually drop in March? This isn't gonna make March is it?

;_; I hope it's not next next March.

This looks promising.I am finally looking forward to it and I never liked GoW.

Kratos is infinitely more likeable now.Hope he doesnt devolve into an asshole again though.

But we need a bit of ass hole Kratos in this, I mean the game has a rage meter :p

This is going to kill the brand. GOW fans will go in expecting a GoW game and they will get something completely different. Should have just made it a new IP.

Responses overall seem pretty positive to me so far (trailer got mad views in like 12 hours)

because that's just what we need, more crafting and rpg systems in our games

some of the other stuff sounds interesting, but I remain highly skeptical

Loudninja

I don't see how people are liking this. Everything they say goes against what God of War stands for. I mean I can understand people liking it if they hated kratos then okey because this portayal is the exact opposite of how he was in the previous games. And people really are excited for babysitting his kid the whole game? I really don't see the appeal. Plus Rpg elements yay because we really don't have those in every single game for absolutely no reason.
I am not going to outright dismiss stuff because its different.

Alienous

Perhaps at the end of the game, after all of their trials and travails together, Kratos will find it in his heart to dedicate two buttons to his son.

The game should start with only the bottom-left corner of the touchpad being dedicated to interactions with your son and progress until the end, where only one button on your controller has anything to do with combat, and all of the others tend to your child.

Monocle

The game should start with the bottom-left corner of the touchpad being dedicated to interactions with your son and progress until the end where only one button on your controller has anything to do with combat, and all of the others tend to your child.
LMAO, I kind of want this now.

UrbanRats

Who cares about combat? Apparently everyone played God of War for the rich, emotional journey.

And now there's fucking crafting. Jesus.

If they did something like this with Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, i'd love to see the reactions.

That said, if you just pretend this is called something else rather than God of War, maybe it could be a fun ride.

After being bored by Uncharted 4 though, i think i've had my fill of shallow cinematic games though, so i hope there's more to this than nice production values.

Wow... This sounds amazing! I remember playing Ascension and feeling so burn out by the gameplay and the samey feels, this game really made me a believer again! Thank You Cory Barlog!

Top Bottom