• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

Ricky_R

To be honest, I'm not crazy about the RPG elements. I still want a few games more on the basic side of things.

Hopefully you can do without the crafting.

napata

I really like the concept of this game. It's weird how this is called GOW though. It's as if they made a new IP and just put in someone that looks like Kratos as the main character so they could call it GOW. I guess I don't understand why this isn't just a new IP.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
DMC5 will save the character action genre, just hold on a little longer

I don't believe you.

To be honest, I'm not crazy about the RPG elements. I still want a few games more on the basic side of things.

Hopefully you can do without the crafting.

How could anyone do without crafting?! See this 8 hour game? Now it's 12 hours because of gathering bullshit and combining it in menus!

Value!

Altairre

I'm so glad they took a solid series in an endangered genre and turned it into a dad sim drama game.

It never was a great character action game. God of War was always more about the spectacle and I say this as somebody who has more or less enjoyed the series. With the way GoW3 ended it makes sense to change things up. There will still be combat and there will still be spectacle. It's way too early to judge how the combat will play out from the bit of footage we got.

Anyway, I'm glad they were able to get me interested in a fourth God of War game.

"This game is about Kratos teaching his son how to be a god, and the kid teaching Kratos how to be human again."

I can't believe I am so excited for a God of War game.

I know right? Prior to E3 I was totally shrugging my shoulders at the thought of another God of War, but everything about this sounds great.

Monocle

If they did something like this with Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, i'd love to see the reactions.

That said, if you just pretend this is called something else rather than God of War, maybe it could be a fun ride.

After being bored by Uncharted 4 though, i think i've had my fill of shallow cinematic games though, so i hope there's more to this than nice production values.
There's an unobtrusive item crafting mechanic in both Bayonetta games.

Zaverious

Man this is something else. I'm probably gonna love the shit out of this game, but while I'm playing it, I'm just gonna be thinking how this isn't what I wanted from God of War at all.

I don't know how I feel about this. I'm sure it'll be great, but it's really not what I wanted from the series.

My favorite genre is character action titles like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, MGR and now, formerly GoW. Three years on and not one has released yet for PS4, and only one has been announced (Nier). So it's kind of upsetting honestly.

Cidd

But asshole Kratos is best Kratos. besides Hermes got what he deserved, I know you can at least agree with me on that. :p

I mean for all intents and purposes you're absolutely right. This here is a different beast altogether. In order to finally get a mature kratos, he had to be placed in a practically completely different game.

And it's true. This is unlike any other God of War game. It is a complete reimagining of the systems, story, and lore. This will not be what many fans want. I know plenty of people who loved God of War for the visceral combat, the cinematic combos, and the satisfaction of the physical chaos that Kratos was capable of.

However, many of these same players have sort of moved on from the series. God of War III sold well, but it didn't have a serious "impact." At the end of the PlayStation 3 life cycle, God of War III was hardly ever mentioned in favorite lists and meaningful exclusives. In some ways, the success of games like Last of Us and Journey redefined what PlayStation was all about. PlayStation sort of became about new things, and God of War's static legacy left it in the dust of its contemporary counterparts.

I don't think it's correct to say that the series ever got bad. The series never crashed and burned. It just got tired. Good at what it was, but what it was paled in comparison to the kinds of games PlayStation was selling today. God of War, as it was, had begun to fade.

I know this reinvention is wildly different. It has some people questioning if it's even God of War in anything but name. It has people mocking the tone and the presentation of a series that's been pretty base since its inception. But the time of the old God of War games, former Titans, has passed.

Kratos once again must take the throne and become the new God of War.

UrbanRats

There's an unobtrusive item crafting mechanic in both Bayonetta games.

Right... i was talking about the focus on cinematic walk and talk moments, more than crafting.

I don't think you can't fault Bayonetta for not having enough combat, or enough depth to the combat, either.
--

I'm fine tho, Nier Automata looks like it's going to be a spectacular action game.

zsynqx

The only thing I wanna know is if Kratos is still a shitty dickwad.

New changes sound cool, but I'll wait and see before buying this since it's starring Kratos again.

MYOuG6q.gif

This isn't the Kratos of old.

Future

I don't know how I feel about this. I'm sure it'll be great, but it's really not what I wanted from the series.

My favorite genre is character action titles like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, MGR and now, formerly GoW. Three years on and not one has released yet for PS4, and only one has been announced (Nier). So it's kind of upsetting honestly.

The genre is slowing down. It was always a bit niche, and honestly the audience is probably pretty small. How well did bayonetta 2 do?

Scale bound I thought would scratch that itch but even that seems way different than your typical DMC.

Aces&Eights

Got pretty burnt out on the hack n slash style by the time Ascension rolled around. Always, loved the spectacle but the gameplay, for me, grew stale. This, right here, wets my whistle big time. Skyrim with TLOU with epic boss battles? To whom do I make the check payable?

jjonez18

It's official. I'd rather have a GoW I-III styled GoW. Better live up to that promise of combat and epic moments SSM, because that's what I'm in it for.
The kid's gonna slow things down.

eizarus

Banned
"This game is about Kratos teaching his son how to be a god, and the kid teaching Kratos how to be human again."

I can't believe I am so excited for a God of War game.
That sounds pretty awesome. Excited about it. However, I hope it doesn't try too hard to be TLoU in it's father-son stuff.

I'd love it if Ragnar Lothbrok made an appearance as a side-character, but the timelines just wouldn't match up.

Futurematic

I really like the concept of this game. It's weird how this is called GOW though. It's as if they made a new IP and just put in someone that looks like Kratos as the main character so they could call it GOW. I guess I don't understand why this isn't just a new IP.

Safer way to launch a game broadly speaking: see Prey from Arkane for another recent example.

Grisby

On one hand, it's interesting to see them do something different with a God of War title. On the other, the xp prompt that came up in the conference demo didn't really make me excited.

Like, I'm fine with the crafting stuff in Horizon because of the open world focus, but I wonder how GOW is going to keep things fresh in a more linear environment.

Interestingly enough, the combat and over the shoulder deal was more reminiscent of Hellblade to me.

Altairre

Right... i was talking about the focus on cinematic walk and talk moments, more than crafting.

I don't think you can't fault Bayonetta for not having enough combat, or enough depth to the combat, either.

I can fault GoW 1-3 for not having enough depth to the combat though.

void666

Banned
I'm an old bitter gamer and i'm ok with this. Same with resident evil.

Krato's saga ended in GoW3. He had his revenge. This is a new beginning.

Top Bottom