• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gow3logo.gif

Note: this is an impressions thread only, don't clutter it up by asking for demo codes. All of that can be found in this thread.

So the demo is out for GoW3! Let's all share some impressions. (Demo size: 2671 mb)

Some fantastic pics start at post 310 and beyond (thanks TTP!)

Four ways of getting the demo:

-Via NeoGAF. In this thread you can share a dummy account and have the demo ready to go.

-Preorder God of War 3: Ultimate Edition. You will receive a redeemable voucher.

-Buy the God of War Collection. Includes GoW I and II at $40, with the demo as well.

-Be a registered member of the official God of War site or on the SCEE mailing list. People are being randomly chosen on these membership lists for a free code (Oct. 30th).

-Purchase District 9 on Blu-Ray for a deluxe demo. It's the same demo but once you beat it you get a bonus documentary on the making of GoWIII.

Kratos.jpg

Baha

23% after nearly half an hour of downloading the demo. Feeling anxious, excited, and a little bit sleepy. Will update later with further impressions.

Cesar

Banned
Does anybody know what build this is? The "old" E3 build, the newer TGS build, or even a newer version?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
We know it's the E3 demo, but dunno if it's an updated build. The TGS version was an updated build however, so it's most likely that one.

Hmm... I have no way of getting the demo - well, except buying the collection and/or District 9, which are both very tempting (even if I am on a somewhat tight budget right now); and I'm not quite sure if I want to spoil anything (I've been enforcing a constant blackout for my must have games), but I wouldn't mind if any of you guys uploaded an HD video of your demo playthrough :D

Will the demo be available to the unwashed masses eventually?

Binabik15

FunkyPajamas said:
Hmm... I have no way of getting the demo - well, except buying the collection and District 9, which are both very tempting (even if I am on a somewhat tight budget right now); and I'm not quite sure if I want to spoil anything (I've been enforcing a constant blackout for my must have games), but I wouldn't mind if any of you guys uploaded an HD video of your demo playthrough :D

Make a US account and visit the GoW 3 demo sharing thread and you don´t need to wash yourself to play:D

So far the demo is fucking awsome

I actually just had to stop for second to come and say how incredible the game looks. The lighting is insane. Great image quality, too.

The lion boxing gloves are also awesome. L1+X makes you shoulder ram enemies. But L1+O does a grab move where you pull them glose and clock them right in the face.

GeeDuhb

FunkyPajamas said:
Hmm... I have no way of getting the demo - well, except buying the collection and/or District 9, which are both very tempting (even if I am on a somewhat tight budget right now); and I'm not quite sure if I want to spoil anything (I've been enforcing a constant blackout for my must have games), but I wouldn't mind if any of you guys uploaded an HD video of your demo playthrough :D

There is a demo share account set up already. Go HERE to get in on the action (just post that you want to be added to the list.)

Someone who got a code for the demo set up a dummy account that we are going to pass around and d/l the demo ;)

Binabik15

Linkzg said:

I actually just had to stop for second to come and say how incredible the game looks. The lighting is insane. Great image quality, too.

The lion boxing gloves are also awesome. L1+X makes you shoulder ram enemies. But L1+O does a grab move where you pull them glose and clock them right in the face.

Does the lighting look like the E3 version (somewhat dull) or more like the TGS version (nipple erecting-ly awesome)?

That seems to be the best way to tell which version it is.

Magnus

I played a version of the demo at the August FanExpo in Toronto. Any way of knowing whether I was playing the E3 demo or the updated TGS build?

Either way -- gorgeous game (didn't seem to hold a candle to Uncharted 2 though) and a truly massive scale for some scenes. Exciting stuff.

The fist-weapons (sorry I'm not up on my GoW terminology), if new, were fucking righteous! They had an ice element attached to them iirc, so lots of white, glowy visual effects and just some fuck-awesome techniques.

Firewire

Banned
Linkzg said:

More impressions needed! NOW! :D

Oh fucking hell, just read about this GOW3 demo for SCEE newsletter people which I've been getting for years but no Beta codes or shit, my email pops up "Playstation" email, and its just a fucking "Special Offers on PlayStation Store and lots more‏" email. Fuck youuuuuu~ SCEE :lol

Linkzg said:

Those things look so awesomely ridiculous. How does he grab
and type
with boxing gloves on?

Binabik15 said:
Does the lighting look like the E3 version (somewhat dull) or more like the TGS version (nipple erecting-ly awesome)?

That seems to be the best way to tell which version it is.

This is supposed to be the E3 demo (it says from June or July) so I'm guessing E3. It still looks incredible, and if it gets even better, then awesome.

BarrenMind said:
Those things look so awesomely ridiculous. How does he grab
and type
with boxing gloves on?

The boxing gloves have, like, mini boxing gloves that shoot out and grab enemies. I don't know. It's awesome.

The only thing odd about the demo was that the new QTE system might take some time to get used to. Instead of appearing in the middle of the screen, they're now at the edges of the screen based on the direction of the button (X on bottom, Triangle on top, O on right, Square on left). It wouldn't be so confusing, but if it's an action that requires you to mash a button, it appears in the bottom right of the screen or center. So, regular circle press is a bit circle icon on the right while mashing circle is a small icon on the bottom right of the screen. It just was a bit confusing.

Oh, and the bow seems a lot better now. I used it often in combat, which is a change.

mckmas8808

Banned
Linkzg said:

Post screenshots dude!!!

Binabik15

Linkzg said:
This is supposed to be the E3 demo (it says from June or July) so I'm guessing E3. It still looks incredible, and if it gets even better, then awesome.

Ahh, okay.

But people use "E3 demo" for the TGS one too, because it´s the same level, and just say that it´s a newer build. But the date makes it look like it IS the E3 "E3" demo :lol

mckmas8808 said:
Post screenshots dude!!!

Man, off screen pics are going to be sweeet.

Still downloading on my PS3, but when I played it at PAX it was so fucking awesome. If I remember correctly it is a pretty long demo too. They only let us play for 10min and I didn't make it too far in.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Okay, let's start off with the first thing, it's so beautiful graphically. Im not a fps whore, but it seemed like a smooth experience, and I didn't notice jaggies anywhere (though I didn't really go around looking). This is the updated build with the impressive lighting, as seen with the fight with the guy's head you take off. It's beautiful all around. "Painting came to life"? Maybe not, but puts tons of games to shame graphically. There are a lot of neat touches too. The blood that spills on Kratos looks good, and stays on him for a good bit, and Kratos Himself is beautiful graphically.

Gameplay is basically what we've always played. Not too much change there, my favorite move (L1 + Square) is still alive and kicking, with a bunch of combos both new and old I think. The lions paws are really cool. And if you use L1 + square or triangle, there are some ranged attacks there. I didn't play with them too much, but I really like them.

Presentation is very barebones (for the demo obviously) you just press start to enter the game, and a short cutscene happens (real time?) and then you have control of Kratos. There is a menu there to invert controls in flight (I will explain later) and other normal options.

Onto flight.

Oh my god, this is going to be the part of the game subject to the most polarizing opinions, but for me, I am going to hate them. They remind me of the chameleons in Resistance 2, in that you have to just remember where all the obstacles and things are to dodge so you don't get hit. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the part at the end of the E3 demo. You sprout wings, and then you're flying up a vent. It sucks. The controls are sluggish and the detection when you miss/hit something seems very off. Doesn't help that the perspective isn't bottom up, but kind of an isometric view, so you can't tell if you need to move up or down or left or right to dodge things until it gets too close to matter. So you just have to memorize it. I died on that part 15 times, but I'm sure some could do it in less tries. I do hope that they are tweaked in a newer build, or that they are few and far between.

Other than that, it's basically what we've seen millions of times now, so yeah. GoW 3 for life bitches :D

Choke on the Magic said:
Does Amazon have preorders up yet? They're giving voucher codes too aren't they?
Doubt it... When Sony tells you you'll get a demo code if you pre-order, they usually mean pre-ordering from GameStop.

And no, Amazon does NOT have pre-orders up yet for the Ultimate Edition.

DMeisterJ said:
Onto flight.

Oh my god, this is going to be the part of the game subject to the most polarizing opinions, but for me, I am going to hate them. They remind me of the chameleons in Resistance 2, in that you have to just remember where all the obstacles and things are to dodge so you don't get hit. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the part at the end of the E3 demo. You sprout wings, and then you're flying up a vent. It sucks. The controls are sluggish and the detection when you miss/hit something seems very off. Doesn't help that the perspective isn't bottom up, but kind of an isometric view, so you can't tell if you need to move up or down or left or right to dodge things until it gets too close to matter. So you just have to memorize it. I died on that part 15 times, but I'm sure some could do it in less tries. I do hope that they are tweaked in a newer build, or that they are few and far between.

From videos I thought I would have a similar experience to yours, but I passed it on the first go. It was still annoying. What they need is the ability to speed up the flight in a direction, like either move the right analog as well or press X (similar to how you move faster when hugging a wall). Only part that gave me trouble was when the entire area was covered except for a small hole. I had enough health shrug off that damage, though.

As for pictures, I tried taking some, but my camera isn't too great and I don't know how to make off screen pictures not ugly.

DMeisterJ

Banned
inpHilltr8r said:
This is the same build as E3. Apparently there were some TRC related fixes, but the engine and assets are the same.

Yes, same build, but updated from E3 with different lighting and stuffs.

onken

Linkzg said:
As for pictures, I tried taking some, but my camera isn't too great and I don't know how to make off screen pictures not ugly.

Dark room, turn macro on (flower icon), just capture still stuff.

DeadGzuz

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Yes, same build, but updated from E3 with different lighting and stuffs.

What does build mean to some of you guys? Where I work it is the binary and associated libraries and configs produced by a specific version of code. If one line of code changes then it is a different build.

Are you using build as = same part of the game?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
inpHilltr8r said:
Same lighting. Same stuffs. Build and assets were branched at E3.
WTF? I thought it would be the new build with improved lighting and such. How do you know it's the same exact build?

Kaako said:
WTF? I thought it would be the new build with improved lighting and such. How do you know it's the same exact build?
I asked someone who knows these things. There is no "new build", all the demos are the same, other than the Helios camera for Japan, some TRC work, and (I assume, because I didn't ask about this one specifically) the end movie for District 9.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
inpHilltr8r said:
I asked someone who knows these things. There is no "new build", all the demos are the same, other than the Helios camera for Japan, some TRC work, and (I assume, because I didn't ask about this one specifically) the end movie for District 9.
I see.

Top Bottom