• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Negaiido said:
Graphics: U2 >> GOW2 ;)

Uncharted 2 obviously has better graphics than God of War 2, as the former is a PS3 game, while the latter is a PS2 game.

I know you meant God of War 3, but I had to be snarky anyway :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The demo wasn't bad; it was certainly fun enough, but after Bayonetta (360), it just seemed kind of underwhelming from a game play standpoint. The frame rate in particular wasn't too great, and things felt sluggish at times, but I'm chalking that up to this being an old demo.

Going back to the Bayonetta comparison, the GoW3 demo just seems too simplistic, and while there's gore abound, the finishers aren't as creative, either.

Still going to be getting this (and that GoW1+2 compilation) regardless. I never played the GoW series before.

Jostifer

This demo is so ridiculous.

There really is a generational leap in technology mastery between GOW3 and the Ninja Gaiden/DMC/Bayonettas of this world.

Played it three times... so awesome.

First time, I was quite rusty, seeing as how I haven't played a GOW game since Chains of Olympus was released.
Second and third, I had my groove back and was murdering left and right.. soooo goood.gif

March is so far away!!!!!

Esperado

The graphics are ridiculous. If you watch closely, in Krato's idle animation you can see a vein pop out of his bicep as his muscles flex. I love the texture work here too. It's painterly, but it has detail to it. And the lighting system... I was attacking those columns just to see the light bounce in and out of column flutes.

That said, the gore does bother me more than when it was on SD. When he cut open that centaur guy and when he rips the guy's head off I was kind of disgusted. It was visceral though...

The game does feel like the other God of War games, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. It looks great and I think it plays great. I mean, people are always pining for next generation retakes of their favorite franchises. Here you actually get one.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Den_John said:
Wonderful AA, impressive lightning, high-res textures, ...

The only thing that was disappointing for me: March 2010 at the end of the demo

htsdon.jpg
This is somewhat random, but there is something about the way the rocks shine that reminds me of Unreal Engine 3 games. Specifically Mass Effect.

Looks good though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
- Frame rate is pretty much fine and not annoyingly fluctuating between 60fps and 30fps (and no tearing AT ALL). The only instance when it skyrocked to 60 is after you shoot dawn Elios and the Titan almost stomps on you. They should stick to 30fps IMO AND add motion blur. There is NONE, which is a pity.
It would be kind of weird to have motion blur in a 60FPS game, it would defy the point. This demo is 60FPS, right? Even if it's not perfectly stable.

- Controls need to be simplified a bit. There is no point in having to press R1 to hold up Elios head and then having to operate the analog stick to direct the light. Just have it so that Kratos automatically rises his arm and points when operating on the right analog stick.
But wait, isn't right stick supposed to be a roll move? So you roll when you just press the stick, and you use the head when you press R1 and push the stick?

Pallaris

omg this is amazing... the sheer brutality of it all. Fantastic. Riding the cyclops was pretty cool as well. Love it.

Definitely noticed the constant stuttering thing..its subtle but needs fixing. And there's a small glitch when your smash that civilians head against the wall in the climbing section - the blood splatter on the wall appears before his head makes contact.

Graphics are lovely. You can tell Kratos was a labour of love for whoever did the Zbrush. Amazing model. Didn't feel framerate was a problem. Didn't notice the 60fps...felt like a solid 30 to me (aside from the stutter). Hope they lock it down. That has me pumped for the final game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pallaris said:
omg this is amazing... the sheer brutality of it all. Fantastic. Riding the cyclops was pretty cool as well. Love it.

Definitely noticed the constant stuttering thing..its subtle but needs fixing. And there's a small glitch when your smash that civilians head against the wall in the climbing section - the blood splatter on the wall appears before his head makes contact.

Graphics are lovely. You can tell Kratos was a labour of love for whoever did the Zbrush. Amazing model. Didn't feel framerate was a problem. Didn't notice the 60fps...felt like a solid 30 to me (aside from the stutter). Hope they lock it down. That has me pumped for the final game.
If it has the constant stutter, the game is proably fluctuating between 40-60FPS or 50-60FPS or something like that. If it was 30FPS with stuttering frame drops, it definitely wouldn't feel solid in any sense of the word.

Esperado

user_nat said:
This is somewhat random, but there is something about the way the rocks shine that reminds me of Unreal Engine 3 games. Specifically Mass Effect.

Looks good though.
The effect is kind of overblown due to it being taken by a camera. In person it's way more subtle and doesn't give the impression of UE3 at all.

Violater

My heart is still literally pounding, this was bloody awesome and the wait till release is going to be more painful for me than any other PS3 title.

Kratos is back and he is pissed more than ever, fuck this game looks awesome and the sound is even more so.

user_nat said:

Looks good though.

You need to play the game, nothing UE looks this good, NOTHING

andymcc

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
The demo wasn't bad; it was certainly fun enough, but after Bayonetta (360), it just seemed kind of underwhelming from a game play standpoint. The frame rate in particular wasn't too great, and things felt sluggish at times, but I'm chalking that up to this being an old demo.

Going back to the Bayonetta comparison, the GoW3 demo just seems too simplistic, and while there's gore abound, the finishers aren't as creative, either.

Still going to be getting this (and that GoW1+2 compilation) regardless. I never played the GoW series before.

this is exactly how i feel.

Pallaris

Lord Error said:
If it has the constant stutter, the game is proably fluctuating between 40-60FPS or 50-60FPS or something like that. If it was 30FPS with stuttering frame drops, it definitely wouldn't feel solid in any sense of the word.

Its a wierd one. I don't think it's anywhere near that high... not that I mind. Like I said, it feels solid..even with loads of enemies on screen it doesn't struggle at all. The stuttering almost feels like it's skipping frames to me. Anyhow i'm sure they're aware of this. demo afterall but shows great promise.

love the icarus stream at the end or whatever it was called...hope there's more where that came from.

jabipun

andymcc said:
demo was kind of meh. as far as action games go, i enjoyed bayonetta's demo more.

Yeah, Bayonetta's combat system makes God of War's look slow and clumsy.

I still enjoyed the demo. The presentation was amazing. And the visuals will only get better in the later build.

But the framerate needs to improve and be more consistent, I've given up on this game being 60 fps. Frankly they should just lock it in at 30.

Lyte Edge said:
The demo wasn't bad; it was certainly fun enough, but after Bayonetta (360), it just seemed kind of underwhelming from a game play standpoint.

Hopefully as the game goes on and you unlock more weapons, the game will have more diversity.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I enjoyed the demo quite a bit but the framerate stuttering was really distracting, and I'm someone who isn't usually too susceptible to those kind of things. I'm sure that's fixed by now though. It's an old build and it certainly felt like it was lacking a lot of polish. The ending of the demo was incredibly epic and the battering ram move is a lot of fun. The gore made everything super satisfying. If you played the other GoWs you know what to expect. Can't wait for the final game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man that was good. MAN MAN MAN that was good. I have all this adrenaline and I don't know what to do with it. :lol

Lyte Edge said:

That's because it is simplistic. That's a very major part of GoW's appeal. It doesn't throw a fighting game long list of combat inputs at players. It's very straight forward but also very rewarding. The devs have always said that while DMC was an inspiration, they never tried to compete against it. That wasn't the point because it's meant to be simplistic and very accessible to the mainstream.

roxya

I like the new QTE system. Doesn't get in the way of what's happening on screen, easier to press the correct button by instinct.

Not sure about the gimmicky things... taking control of a cyclops, grabbing an enemy and doing the charging move, jumping between flying things, etc.

Brilliant otherwise. I like the fist weapon a lot.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
So awesome, God the wait is going to be hard.

The way the demo ended arghhhhh

2real4tv

Pallaris said:

So E3 version verified because it was in that version also

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Pallaris said:
If you die in that part and go back through it isn't there until he hits the wall.

Lyte Edge

SolidSnakex said:
That's because it is simplistic. That's a very major part of GoW's appeal. It doesn't throw a fighting game long list of combat inputs at players. It's very straight forward but also very rewarding. The devs have always said that while DMC was an inspiration, they never tried to compete against it. That wasn't the point because it's meant to be simplistic and very accessible to the mainstream.

That's great and everything, but Bayonetta manages to be both simplistic and yet complex in the sense that you get a lot more ways to take out opponents. You could still play it just as simple as GoW if you wanted to.

jabipun

Lyte Edge said:
That's great and everything, but Bayonetta manages to be both simplistic and yet complex in the sense that you get a lot more ways to take out opponents. You could still play it just as simple as how GoW works too.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. More options doesn't mean more complex if the execution is sound.

I also like how dodging is handled (L2/left trigger) (and not just the witch-time mechanic).

I wish they would transfer dodge to a face button, or the shoulder button - as is, I've always disliked the right stick dodge mechanic in the GoW games.

Lyte Edge

jabipun said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same. More options doesn't mean more complex if the execution is sound.

I also like how dodging is handled (L2/left trigger) (and not just the witch-time mechanic).

I wish they would transfer dodge to a face button, or the shoulder button - as is, I've always disliked the right stick dodge mechanic in the GoW games.

That's the thing about Bayonetta-- it does pretty much everything right. It has raised the bar for this action sub-genre in my book.

Lyte Edge said:
That's great and everything, but Bayonetta manages to be both simplistic and yet complex in the sense that you get a lot more ways to take out opponents. You could still play it just as simple as GoW if you wanted to.

Bayonetta basically feels like a DMC game. So it's not simplistic in the same way that GoW is. GoW pretty much hit a homerun in a way that other action games didn't because of that approach and because it's ridiculously violent in a way that none of them are. It's basically the perfect success recipe.

Violater

chubigans said:
Man that was good. MAN MAN MAN that was good. I have all this adrenaline and I don't know what to do with it. :lol

The music, the blood splatter, Kratos's angry screams, it all gets your heart pumping.

TTP said:
- Kratos model is incredibly detailed and gets covered in blood.
- The lighting effects are ZOMG category. Needs some Naughty Dog magic tho to give the whole visual a little bit more depth.
- The handycam effect when camera follows Kratos from behind si a welcome addition. Perhaps a bit overdone.
- Plenty use of Depth of Field, especially during QTE. Should be used even more.
- Animations look just as good as like the PS2 versions. This is not a bad thing, but could be improved.
- IQ is nearly perfect.
- Frame rate is pretty much fine and not annoyingly fluctuating between 60fps and 30fps (and no tearing AT ALL). The only instance when it skyrocked to 60 is after you shoot dawn Elios and the Titan almost stomps on you. They should stick to 30fps IMO AND add motion blur. There is NONE, which is a pity.
- About the frame rate... there is some minimal constant stuttering going on a la Trine. Me don't like this at all. Better be fixed.
- Textures are ok. Not Uncharted 2 level but not ugly either.
- Controls need to be simplified a bit. There is no point in having to press R1 to hold up Elios head and then having to operate the analog stick to direct the light. Just have it so that Kratos automatically rises his arm and points when operating on the right analog stick.

Encouraging for a build that was probably a year away from release when built.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
SolidSnakex said:
Bayonetta basically feels like a DMC game. So it's not simplistic in the same way that GoW is. GoW pretty much hit a homerun in a way that other action games didn't because of that approach and because it's ridiculously violent in a way that none of them are. It's basically the perfect success recipe.
How much did the first two sell?

Lyte Edge

SolidSnakex said:

You are missing the point. You can play Bayonetta in the same "simple" manner as GoW if you want to. Even simpler if you want to play on the two easy modes-- you don't even need to use the analog stick! :lol

GoW has the gore, but Bayonetta has more flash. Some of the techniques you unlock look insanely cool.

I have no doubt as to which game will sell more. It's obvious that GoW has more appeal to your average video game player.

Negaiido said:
Hmm after playing Uncharted 2 a lot, the controls of GOW3 just suck. Nothing seems logical, also the second stick(R3) is so annoying. They should have done rolling with O. Guess I just have to get use to normal God of War controls.

Different doesnt mean suck. NOT every game should control like every other.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Teetris said:
How much did the first two sell?

If we're going to believe Wikipedia, GoW II had sold 2.44 million copies by September 2008. I guess the first one has sold about the same number of copies.

dazed808

The other half has just watched me play the last half hour. She hardly ever comments on my gaming but she saw the huge smile on my face as I ripped the horn off whatever it was I was slicing up and shoved it through their skull she simply said "you sick bastard".
Yep Kratos is back and better than ever!:D

For an old build it's running pretty nicely though the stuttering was noticable but sure that will be sorted. Loved the lighting especially in the caves with the Helios head.
Bring on my remake import I wanna play more now!

SolidSnakex said:

The combat is just right for the game. I love it. However, Titan mode in GOW2 still had the ability to kick my ass all over the mythological universe :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
SolidSnakex said:
A million a piece in the US alone. I'm not sure about Europe though.
jett said:
Several millions each.
Combichristoffersen said:
If we're going to believe Wikipedia, GoW II had sold 2.44 million copies by September 2008. I guess the first one has sold about the same number of copies.
So about 3 mil each then?

I dunno if this franchise gets marketed well but this one should surpass that easily, also considering U2's success.

Top Bottom