• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Shadow780 said:
Sorry what are the new combat mechanics in this demo?

I can only remember light the enemy on fire - grab - ram
Riding Harpies and the Cyclops, battering ram, and the cestus.

Teetris said:
I dunno if this franchise gets marketed well but this one should surpass that easily, also considering U2's success.

It's never had a monster marketing blitz before. But GoW3 will probably change that.

Shadow780

RoboPlato said:
Riding Harpies and the Cyclops, battering ram, and the cestus.

Any new stuffs I can do during combos besides quick weapon switch (which is not optimal since it's on directional buttons)?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I played and beat God of War, never touched the second one. Having not checked up anything on this game, I was pretty fucking happy after the demo ended. That was an intense ride, and just made me go from soon to day 1.

I still don't know why they give demos to preorders. I had no intention of buying this right away, and now I do.

Poor marketing, whatever. Regardless, the demo was fucking wild. I'm tempted to go pick up the HD God of War pack and replay the first and try the second.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
EvaPlusMinus said:
I played and beat God of War, never touched the second one. Having not checked up anything on this game, I was pretty fucking happy after the demo ended. That was an intense ride, and just made me go from soon to day 1.

I still don't know why they give demos to preorders. I had no intention of buying this right away, and now I do.

Poor marketing, whatever. Regardless, the demo was fucking wild. I'm tempted to go pick up the HD God of War pack and replay the first and try the second.

You should definitely play GoW II. More bosses, more levels with epic scale structures and generally just more of the creamy goodness that made GoW so great.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
SolidSnakex said:
It's never had a monster marketing blitz before. But GoW3 will probably change that.
Kratos is easily the best mascot character Sony has. They have to throw that guy on Doritos and Mountain Dew in March for sure.

Man, that was intense. There's nothing out there as brutal and as relentless as this. I haven't played GOW 1 in so long but now I remember what it was like. There's a good amount of combat moves, the ones I found anyway. Hopefully they continue to polish it up (framerate), but so far this is looking to be epic. Took me a few minutes to get used to the fixed camera, haven't played a game like that in awhile.

Hype increased.

abq

The game feels... archaic. I much prefer the fluidity of Bayonetta and the traversal and epicness of Uncharted 2. I used to love it when Kratos ripped shit to pieces, but it's not doing it for me anymore.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
abq said:
The game feels... archaic. I much prefer the fluidity of Bayonetta and the traversal and epicness of Uncharted 2. I used to love it when Kratos ripped shit to pieces, but it's not doing it for me anymore.
Alrighty.

Septimus

Holy fuck! Just want to chime in after finishing the demo myself on my tv. Good lord this is a thing of beauty. The lighting is the best I've ever seen and Kratos' character model is amazingly detailed. Fuuuuck I want moar! And I got chills at the little God of War sound bit right when the fire titan dude appears. So good lol.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lord Error said:
But wait, isn't right stick supposed to be a roll move? So you roll when you just press the stick, and you use the head when you press R1 and push the stick?

Not when you have Elios' head in your hand. Right stick does nothing unless you hold R1 (to actually rise the head).

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
0275f82f.jpg

oh my goodness!:D

Synless

My DL time for some reason was ridiculously slow. I'm talking like 1MB every 2-3 seconds. It's normally at least 1MB a second.

Teknoman

Damn man...I thought I was desensitized to kill animations...God of War III made me think again.

Game will be awesome, oil painting confirmed.

Yoboman

Plays really good, but I'm a bit disappointed with the movement. The original trailer had me thinking Kratos had some sort of sprint button for forward momentum, he's still got his very awkward upward jump. Not a bit deal but could've added to the fluidity

Camera seems less well thought out than the original 2, but it is an early demo.

Cyclops seemed less fluid than Arkham Asylum

Overall gives me a lot to look forward to and I'm glad they aren't showing too much

Surprisingly, I continue to not like this series.

And damn it, stupid E3 demo beta-ness, missed the prompt that tells you how to get over that gap where the big guy shows up, and it never reappears and there's no moves list in the pause menu. So I jumped to my death a couple of times before I gave up and turned it off.

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
freitax said:
his eyes :O naughty dog that's how you get the eye reflection right:D

yep one hour more or less

half hour at 50%... not bad, but agonizing nonetheless.

and yes, at the eye reflection. I love U2 cuts, but, those flashlight eyes are just weird...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
VibratingDonkey said:
Surprisingly, I continue to not like this series.

And damn it, stupid E3 demo beta-ness, missed the prompt that tells you how to get over that gap where the big guy shows up, and it never reappears and there's no moves list in the pause menu. So I jumped to my death a couple of times before I gave up and turned it off.

You press X three times...

Wow, great impressions here. My goodness, there's an Ultimate Edition of this game. I was afraid of that. Umm... if the God of War Collection proves that the first two games are fun to me, I might get the Ultimate Edition. I'm a sucker for Collector Editions. Haven't played the demo yet, and I'm planning on just waiting for the Collection to play the demo. I don't want to play 3 before I play 1 and 2.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Enjoyed the demo, cut out just before the good part though :lol

Well, I think this seals the deal, I'll get the GoW Collection after NSMBWii to occupy some time.

My download took a long time though, almost two hours. Oh well, not liked I was just watching the counter the whole time. I did a few other things :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Hey GAF, is it ok to post 39 direct feed pics in there? How do I do the click-on-thumbnail-to-enlarge thing?

Top Bottom