• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'd love a screencap of that moment when all those guards are protecting that guy 300 style, TTP. I know it's too late now but man that was great. :lol

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
dumb question, but how do you get another harpy after the first one? across the chasm. I can't remember, O doesn't work and it doesn't re-educate me for some reason. tells me how to get one, ride one, but not switch off

nevermind... it's X.. yay..

Melfice7

chubigans said:
I'd love a screencap of that moment when all those guards are protecting that guy 300 style, TTP. I know it's too late now but man that was great. :lol

i bashed the defense with the cestus o_O

k0ji-wd

OMFG THAT WAS EPIC!

Holy shit at the scale of just this one level, and the ending of the demo. . .left me wanting mooooooooooore

GODDAMN!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dirk Shmiggler said:
dumb question, but how do you get another harpy after the first one? across the chasm. I can't remember, O doesn't work and it doesn't re-educate me for some reason. tells me how to get one, ride one, but not switch off

Press X.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
4gi7vt.jpg

One of the most impressive shots for me...looks like a freaking resin statue. And you never get a better look at this thing in the entire demo except for this one moment...and the details are crazy. From the wrinkles to the scales on the feet, to the slightly blood-tipped wings and individually modeled sharp teeth...

WOW.

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
PS3 hitting its stride it seems as of late.

Demo is one of the best.. gives the feeling of what's to come. I watched it on the E3 videos back in the day, but they do NOT do it justice in person...

will check back tomorrow b/c i'm curious about more folks impressions, i guess we're the first round and we've all been into it from the beginning anyways... want to see the consensus..

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
DMPrince said:
Looks TOOO Good. hopefully no soccer moms or crazy christian fanatics come out of nowhere trying to ban this game :lol.
They'll have their hands full with Dante's Inferno. It's the perfect decoy until GOW comes out. :lol

kaskade

I played it and I have to say it's God of War. But absolutely fucking gorgeous. Kratos covered in blood was amazing. Next year is going to be crazy good.

short but sweet. Gave me a little GoW hit, which I think I needed since I haven't played it since Chains of Olympus came out. It actually makes me think im gonna skip the double pack release next month so I can be on full GoW withdrawl next March.

I also need a new TV by then. Playing this on a 32 inch just doesn't do it justice.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The detail on the models are so awesome...the obligatory sex scene will put anything anyone has ever done as far as videogame sexiness to shame.

nomnomnom

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just played through again and enjoyed it a lot more than the first time. I think I was just really out of practice for how to play GoW. I used the cestus a decent amount this time around. You can really feel every hit you land with that thing. I honestly can't wait to see what a fully polished version of this is going to look and play like. The game has skyrocketed up to the top my hype list.

jiggle

just played it and it was very wow worthy
i was cursing the end sequence, had to try it 3 times XD but the part that came after was so :O that it was so worth it

but ew i need to get a rumble control for this or i'm gonna miss out on all the secrets ><

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ripping the head off was one of the most satisfying things in a game. The camera angle, pressing the shoulder buttons to rip it off...just pure awesomeness. It was pretty gruesome too, almost forgot how violent the God of War series was.

Playing it for a second time now. I've never played a GOW game on a console before, only Chains of Olympus PSP. My jaw hurts. My face hurts. My ears hurt. I put the volume up so loud while my window was open and people would walk by my house and pause infront wondering WTF was going on in here.

I bow to Sony Santa Monica; one of The greatest devs around. These guys know what they're doing.

Ploid 3.0

jiggle said:
just played it and it was very wow worthy
i was cursing the end sequence, had to try it 3 times XD but the part that came after was so :O that it was so worth it

but ew i need to get a rumble control for this or i'm gonna miss out on all the secrets ><

Yea I don't have a dual shock either, not planning on getting one, and I hope they add another cue for hidden stuff. Visual is better, I guess I'll be looking all over with the head or just use a youtube guide if needed.

So glad I didnt watch the entire e3 demo....now Im done installing and get to experience it mostly fresh :D :D :D :D

Also, most pissed title screen ever!!!

VegaShinra

Amazing. The graphics are astounding. Even if the gameplay somehow sucked, the graphics and the desire to see new environments would keep me playing it.

Nice demo . Abit too easy hopefully the final game will be more challenging. I forgot you can actually kill civilians in GoW :lol

AnIco

Dante said:
I'm so glad I own a fukkin ps3 :)

Seriously...

From March 2009 -- March 2010...the greatest period of gaming ever? Holy shit...Killzone 2, InFamous, Flower, MLB 09 The Show, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACiT, God of War, Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII?

Jesus.

Sony's studios are on fire.

bridegur

I enjoyed the demo quite a bit, and it looks awesome, but I feel like the amazing character models are sort of going to waste with the camera so zoomed out. I know that's how the last two games were, but hopefully there will be more close-up action in this one.

Demo is fun, and I really like the darker color scheme.
Just made it to the flying section, the hell is going on lol, the perspective caught me off guard

Visual quality - Great details, modeling, lighting, etc. Good shit right here as far as screen shot quality goes.

Music - Good lord, how fucking epic can you get? Not as epic as GoW3.

Fluidity - Not so much, framerate is killing it. This is NOT good. Hopefully the final version has this ironed out much more.

bridegur said:
I enjoyed the demo quite a bit, and it looks awesome, but I feel like the amazing character models are sort of going to waste with the camera so zoomed out. I know that's how the last two games were, but hopefully there will be more close-up action in this one.
Pretty much.

bridegur said:

I think I read somewhere they're using lod. switching different resolution kratos model depending on the camera. the amazing character model will definitely come in handy for many qte kill though. I wish we get lots of those.

Truespeed

Some people mentioned the quality of the lighting in the demo so I thought I'd throw up an interview from CG Society on the very topic.

The lighting system in 'God of War III' is another one of the most noticeable pieces of gorgeous work judging just from the playable builds. “Lighting is very important to the look of 'God of War’s style so it was very important for us to come up with a system that is robust and meets the many needs of the game. We have been working on the lighting since the very start of production, and four years later it’s still something we are tweaking. We wanted to come up with a hybrid system that would meet the demanding needs of the game. For Titan gameplay, we need a fully dynamic lighting solution and for other areas we wanted to use high resolution light maps combined with dynamic lights.”

Choosing either a forward rendering system or a deferred rendering system would always depend on what the game requires and what the game system is capable of. Fortunately, the devs at Sony Santa Monica are extremely happy to be creating a game on a system as powerful as the PS3 and as a result, the rendering was never a choice of one or the other. “We use a combination of both,” says Feldman. “The dynamic shadow system utilizes a deferred rendering solution and the dynamic lighting system uses a forward rendering solution. From the start we wanted the ability to have a lot of dynamic lights. We did not want frame rate to suffer with each light in the scene."

The programmers were able to create a system that allows the artist to use up to 50 lights per game object while not using the graphics processor. All dynamic lighting is done on the PS3’s SPUs. We separate direct light (dynamic lights and baked shadowing light) from indirect (ambient, skylight, bounce). This allows us to merge baked and dynamic shadows by blocking direct light. We use Turtle for baked lighting. After testing a number of different global illumination renderers, we chose Turtle because of its feature set, lua scripting, its speed and the wonderful support offered by the Turtle guys. Turtle gives us the ability to separate direct lightmaps, or direct vertex lighting from indirect. We use all of its global illumination features including final gather. We use image based lighting or skylights and we have the ability to bake ambient occlusion to maps or verts. We also use Turtle light probes (spherical harmonics) as one of our solutions for lighting the characters.”

Jas

Absolutely loved the demo. Already played through it 6 different times. I didn't realize the different variations the Cestus had until playing the demo. I used it a lot more than I thought I would. March can't come soon enough.

Top Bottom