• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

conman

Playing through this, my PS3 fan kicked into high gear. Yikes.

My main observations:

--More platformy than prior GoW's.

--Takes lots of visual inspiration from 300. Not just the shield bit, but also the overall color palette, lighting effects, and look of the blood and gore.

--This is how you do QTE's right!

--Some framerate issues. Since this demo will be ten months old by the time of the retail release, I'm sure it'll be fixed.

--Batman took the steam out of the cyclops riding. Not nearly as fresh and awesome as it would have been had I not already done it in Batman AA.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Played through it 3 times. Its damn good, I REALLY love the new lion head glove thingies, whatever theyre called. They are just fun to use. I will actually use them in the game unlike all the previous God of Wars where the secondary weapons sucked. Graphics are damn good, my only gripe (which is dumb cause its a friggin demo) are riding the harpies...I find it annoying but Im sure they will change it up a bit in the final version. Overall, FUCKAWESOME DEMO.

Edit: I also did notice some slight framerate dips when the screen had like 10 or more dudes at once...but its pretty solid overall and I bet itll be rocksolid by the final version.

mercenar1e said:
does anyone know how i aim for the god? it misses him evertime i hold r1.. titan scene

You have to wait for those
chariots and horses to swing around
and aim for them. i know it took me a minute to figure it out too.

is it normal for the titan and the god to be completely still? you said wait for the horses but i don't see any passing by.. unless you mean him which in that case is completely still above the reach of my arrows lol

mercenar1e said:
is it normal for the titan and the god to be completely still? you said wait for the horses but i don't see any passing by.. unless you mean him which in that case is completely still above the reach of my arrows lol
Neither are moving at all? Completely still?

MvmntInGrn said:
Neither are moving at all? Completely still?

yeah.. i thought something was weird because the god is directly in front of the titan and hes not doing anything lol.. the gods flame and smoke is still going but hes not moving

Why For?

Banned
tapedeck said:
Played through it 3 times. Its damn good, I REALLY love the new lion head glove thingies, whatever theyre called. They are just fun to use. I will actually use them in the game unlike all the previous God of Wars where the secondary weapons sucked. Graphics are damn good, my only gripe (which is dumb cause its a friggin demo) are riding the harpies...I find it annoying but Im sure they will change it up a bit in the final version. Overall, FUCKAWESOME DEMO.

Edit: I also did notice some slight framerate dips when the screen had like 10 or more dudes at once...but its pretty solid overall and I bet itll be rocksolid by the final version.

Weren't those in the PSP game? I played CoO a while back, so I can't remember 100%, but I'm almost certain the Lion Glove things are in CoO

Why For? said:
Weren't those in the PSP game? I played CoO a while back, so I can't remember 100%, but I'm almost certain the Lion Glove things are in CoO

the psp game has zeus gauntlet I think. definitely the groundwork for cestus. but they're different item, not the same. cestus also had chain for range attack that the gauntlet doesn't have.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Edit: ^ oh ok.

Why For? said:
Oh shit...uhmm maybe they were? I have no freaking clue cause I never played the psp version lol. Anyway they kick major ass Im glad theyre in. :D

Pachimari

The-Warning said:
You have to wait for those
chariots and horses to swing around
and aim for them. i know it took me a minute to figure it out too.
It's funny, I didn't know what to do.
So on my second shot I aimed for the giant and accidentally the
chariot and horses swing
by lol!

taken from my iphone..

this is the part i talked about, neither of them move but you can, am i the only one who encountered this? and yeah i tried restarting the checkpoints and nothing so im now starting the demo over.

Yoboman

The way the lighting came up when the red orbs dropped in that tunnel was awesome. I hope they play up that excellent lighting some more

Callibretto said:
I think I read somewhere they're using lod. switching different resolution kratos model depending on the camera. the amazing character model will definitely come in handy for many qte kill though. I wish we get lots of those.
Don't need to wish.

Kratos is the most pissed off game character there is :lol It fits since GOW series is one of the most gruesome non horror game there is.

Yoboman said:
The way the lighting came up when the red orbs dropped in that tunnel was awesome. I hope they play up that excellent lighting some more

On the tunnel I thought the demo was over and relaxed putted the controller down and then bam "press L2 to use helios head" and I jumped from my couch to grab the controller again :lol I was like "holy shit!"

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
anybody have a no audio glitch? demo runs fine but i have no audio. go back to xmb, audio works fine. boot up another game, audio works fine.

edit: false alarm, seems my receiver was the culprit. resetting everything did the trick.

DMeisterJ said:
Onto flight.

Oh my god, this is going to be the part of the game subject to the most polarizing opinions, but for me, I am going to hate them. They remind me of the chameleons in Resistance 2, in that you have to just remember where all the obstacles and things are to dodge so you don't get hit. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the part at the end of the E3 demo. You sprout wings, and then you're flying up a vent. It sucks. The controls are sluggish and the detection when you miss/hit something seems very off. Doesn't help that the perspective isn't bottom up, but kind of an isometric view, so you can't tell if you need to move up or down or left or right to dodge things until it gets too close to matter. So you just have to memorize it. I died on that part 15 times, but I'm sure some could do it in less tries. I do hope that they are tweaked in a newer build, or that they are few and far between.

Other than that, it's basically what we've seen millions of times now, so yeah. GoW 3 for life bitches :D
i got hit twice in that section, did it on my first try, and didn't really think it controlled badly.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The Faceless Master said:
i got hit twice in that section, did it on my first try, and didn't really think it controlled badly.
Same here, hit three times but I beat it. Controls felt like I expected them to.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Played it on a SD TV, so I didn't get to enjoy the ZOMGAWSUM graphics, but it's still a very good demo. Some minor complaints:

- The new QTE system is annoying. Move the button symbols back to the center of the screen.

- Harpy ride controls are a bit sloppy. Tighten that shit up.

- The flight controls are ssssssslllllllllllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww. Fix it!

Dante

The ending is the biggest cocktease in the history of videogames.

Yeah, the guy above me is insane, especielly with the QTE stuff

longdi

Banned
my complaints of otherwise solid GOW-ness:

-controls can be more intuitive, the harpy ride and gliding are the biggest culprit

-whacking away at the enemies lack enough visual feedback. hitting the bigger ones feel like hitting hard rubber.

Combichristoffersen said:
- The flight controls are ssssssslllllllllllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww. Fix it!
I agree. It annoyed me especially in the part where I have to fly through small holes in the wall. By the time I saw where the holes were, I couldn't move myself there fast enough and I took damage. I wonder how many of these flying portions will be in the full game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
DIrtyWeasel said:
I agree. It annoyed me especially in the part where I have to fly through small holes in the wall. By the time I saw where the holes were, I couldn't move myself there fast enough and I took damage. I wonder how many of these flying portions will be in the full game.

Those small holes you had to fly through were damn annoying, as I barely had the time to register where the hole was, much less to actually move Kratos over to where he should be to pass through the hole unharmed. Hopefully they'll fix the controls before the game is released.

onken

Holy crap at those fucking screenshots... I had to leave for work before the demo finished ahhhh I want to get home now.

I didn't have any issues with the flight section at all, he does move slow but give the size of the space any faster would be a bit unwieldy I think. Got hit maybe twice my first try, haven't died there yet.

Shuusui

TTP said:
a14dg4.jpg
Just.... I... ba--

Incredible. This is a real direct feed screenshot? Doesn't seem possible.

NeoUltima

Just realized I never posted my impressions:

Absolutely amazing. Obviously the graphics blew me, especially Kratos. Amazing lighting in those dark corridors, bloodstains on Kratos, o my! The sound was also something special. Such 'meat' to the effects. Hitting dudes with the cestus makes an especially satisfying sound.
Gameplay itself, its GoW but refined so well. I played GoW2 a few months back and I don't recall it being this satisfying. I also like the increased emphasis on grabs. No more L1+O special like in the first two games. Now it is a used to pull dudes in. Very cool. I also like the way QTEs are handled with the buttons in their logical place on screen, keeps your eyes on the action. Harpy jumping was a nice little addition as well...but my biggest ':D' belongs to the cestus. Finally a secondary weapon I will use on a regular basis! Only thing I ever used in GoW1 and 2 where the chaos blades(excluding blade of Olympus). It's so satisfying to use, I think I prefer it over the chaos blades.

Now for my one complaint...I wish the demo was harder :(. Barely took a scratch.

Dante

:lol @ people who can't handle flight controls. I just played this after Uncharted2 and it still holds it's own, r
even In this E3 build!

Much more fun playing this at home than at gamescom boot. The graphics were due to my TV much better and the epic music made the Demo 10times more fun.

I just realised you don't need the Zyclops to break the Shields, just use your fists! :D

Shuusui said:
Just.... I... ba--

Incredible. This is a real direct feed screenshot? Doesn't seem possible.
Yep, this particular moment was the best part of the demo from a visual standpoint for me. The shit literally looks like that :lol

After playing it again, Im not sure how I feel about it. I thought most of it was really well crafted, with one or two minor gripes lingering around. It really boils down to that damn crappy ass framerate. It just sticks out like a sore thumb :^/

I find it really hard to care about textures and lighting etc when the framerate is a bit of a mess. If they can lock it down I think the game has the potential to match UC2. I hope they lock it at 30fps as I don't have confidence that they can lock it at 60 without tearing and or framedrops occurring.

There is nothing wrong with a locked 30fps.

I'm still downloading the demo, but when you said crappy framerate, do you mean it dip below 30 fps? so it had slow down or stutter a lot that it affect the gameplay? or is it go up and down between 30 - 60. but never fall to slideshow/slowdown.

Callibretto said:
I'm still downloading the demo, but when you said crappy framerate, do you mean it dip below 30 fps? so it had slow down or stutter a lot that it affect the gameplay? or is it go up and down between 30 - 60. but never fall to slideshow/slowdown.

Doesn't affect the gameplay but I'd say it is never steady. It's an old build so I'm not really worried. If it wasn't fixed by release though....like I said it detracts from everything else the game is doing visually.

Lince

Banned
The programmers were able to create a system that allows the artist to use up to 50 lights per game object while not using the graphics processor. All dynamic lighting is done on the PS3’s SPUs.

lately I'm under the impression the SPUs array is the most powerful thing within the PS3 hardware, everyone talking about and off-loading anything to them be it physics, streaming, rendering, animations, whatever... Kutaragi knew his (complicated) shit indeed.

Livanh

conman said:
--Takes lots of visual inspiration from 300. Not just the shield bit, but also the overall color palette, lighting effects, and look of the blood and gore.

i thought 300 copied everything from gow 1 when i first saw it :)

conman

No problem with flight controls for me. Brilliantly done section. Reminiscent of Lando's scene in the end of Return of the Jedi. Got hit a couple times by flaming rocks. Otherwise, no issues.

blehh

Neo Member
Jaroof said:
I found this glitch during my second playthrough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d942r7kqTp0

Scared the hell out of me the way he just spreads his arms in the air :lol
I didn't know what was happening!

Sorry for the shaky camera. I had to do this with one hand in order to record it :p

Kratos was crucified and died for your sins so that you may be with him in heaven.

have you accepted Kratos as your personal Lord and Savior?

Lain

The demo looks really good and it is nice and fun to play, but it didn't "take me in" as I'd expect.
The gore level was satisfying.

Pachimari

Completed the demo for the third time, at this point not getting hit at the flying section at all, it's easy when you get to know the whole mechanism. And it's still a mystery to me as to why I like this demo while I didn't like any of its predecessors. Maybe the fighting system won't catch me in the final game if it has lack of variety.

Drame

Fantastic demo.

The combat felt so satisfying and like many have said, this game does QTE's right.

Graphically, the game is glorius and this is an old build. I can't wait to see what the final version has to bring.

Top Bottom