• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

neoism

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, but does anyone have a psn with the demo on it! I'd like to play it before I pre-order!

Luigiv

nextwish said:
Woo hoo! Got my God of War 3 demo with bonus District-9 Blu-Ray movie :D

4208100451_20d67a40b6.jpg
It's a shame this promotion doesn't extend to Australia :(. Oh well, guess I just have to wait until the demo hits PSN.

george_us said:
Just picked up District 9 so naturally the God of War III demo was the first thing I tried out.:lol

I need this game...now

I second that.

It looks so gorgeous and it's an old build. I can't wait to see what the final build looks like...

Arsenic

I decided to wait to finish GoW collection before i tried the demo.

And im underwhelmed :/

Watching people play it was amazing but once the controller was in my hands, it just became annoying to play through.

I know the framerate would suffer, but to me the controls were very sluggish and i found myself repeating the same moves over and over. the gameplay simply isnt as fun as the previous two games and i pray they make some slight changes.

anyways, the visuals were great, as expected. and the scale is even better than i thought it would be. after shooting down helios and seeing the titan move was fantastic. my only grip is that the lighting is too dark in some areas (not the cave area, obviously thts meant to be dark) but its hard to enjoy the animations when u can barely see them in a dark hallway.

another issue i have with this demo is the placement of the QTEs. not only are they too small but they are further away from the center of the screen, forcing you to look away from the gorgeous killing animations and lose attention. it was much better the way they are placed before.

as for the gameplay again, i thought GoW2 was a huge step down from GOW1 regarding the Chains setmoves. and now even more with this demo. they seem to favor more to the " cool" factor rather than effectiveness. again, hopefully some changes are made before they release the final game.

oneHeero

Arsenic said:

Watching people play it was amazing but once the controller was in my hands, it just became annoying to play through.

I know the framerate would suffer, but to me the controls were very sluggish and i found myself repeating the same moves over and over. the gameplay simply isnt as fun as the previous two games and i pray they make some slight changes.

anyways, the visuals were great, as expected. and the scale is even better than i thought it would be. after shooting down helios and seeing the titan move was fantastic. my only grip is that the lighting is too dark in some areas (not the cave area, obviously thts meant to be dark) but its hard to enjoy the animations when u can barely see them in a dark hallway.

another issue i have with this demo is the placement of the QTEs. not only are they too small but they are further away from the center of the screen, forcing you to look away from the gorgeous killing animations and lose attention. it was much better the way they are placed before.

as for the gameplay again, i thought GoW2 was a huge step down from GOW1 regarding the Chains setmoves. and now even more with this demo. they seem to favor more to the " cool" factor rather than effectiveness. again, hopefully some changes are made before they release the final game.

o_O

The QTE's are placed oin the screen in the same area as your controller. So if a button pops up on the right, its O. Making it easier to focus one what's going on since you always know the button on the right is O.

Arsenic said:

I did the same. But I was underwhelmed by the graphics of the demo. The tunnel sequence looked pretty good but the rest was only good in my opinion.

And the violence was too extreme. I suppose it's a great way to impress teens. But I don't need this anatomy lesson.

Arsenic

oneHeero said:
o_O

The QTE's are placed oin the screen in the same area as your controller. So if a button pops up on the right, its O. Making it easier to focus one what's going on since you always know the button on the right is O.

I understand it makes sense, im just talking about how my eyes react to the popups. Maybe its because my tv is too big, or the distance from it is too far, but i did not have this problem with the previous two games, ever. (i did GoW2's final boss QTE crap in one shot).

Gummifaust said:
I did the same. But I was underwhelmed by the graphics of the demo. The tunnel sequence looked pretty good but the rest was only good in my opinion.

And the violence was too extreme. I suppose it's a great way to impress teens. But I don't need this anatomy lesson.

I found the tunnel sequence to be perfect, extremely satisfying. The only part to give me high hopes for the rest of the game.

Arsenic said:

You have to remember that the demo we're playing is over 7 months old now, i'm sure a lot of what was off in the demo is fixed by now (hopefully).

Arsenic

_leech_ said:
You have to remember that the demo we're playing is over 7 months old now, i'm sure a lot of what was off in the demo is fixed by now (hopefully).
believe me i went into the demo with that in mind. i just hope they dont leave behind some of those annoyances (personally)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there anyone here who actually prefers a variable 30-60 frame-rate over a locked 30?

God of War isn't exactly DMC/NG/Bayonetta, it would play just fine at 30.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Arsenic said:
I understand it makes sense, im just talking about how my eyes react to the popups. Maybe its because my tv is too big, or the distance from it is too far, but i did not have this problem with the previous two games, ever. (i did GoW2's final boss QTE crap in one shot).

It's probably because it's new and you weren't used to it(they never placed them similar to the controller layout in the last 2 games). I love how the buttons are on the sides of the screen after a few runs of the demo.

Arsenic

Papercuts said:
It's probably because it's new and you weren't used to it(they never placed them similar to the controller layout in the last 2 games). I love how the buttons are on the sides of the screen after a few runs of the demo.
I thought so too but after a few runs i couldnt get used to it. it probably is just my personal preference, or my tv size.

@Rez. I cant stand playing GoW at 30 frames. im not exactly your typical frame-rate whore either (im fine with killzone, resistance FRs, etc)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
see, I'm the sort of person who can live with 30, as long as it is consistent, because I know I'll adjust. if it keeps jumping back and fort, it looks really jarring to me, and effectively serves as a reminder that I'm playing a video game, if that makes sense.

I just want consistency.

jett

D-Member
Messypandas said:
anyone know when the demo drops for us riff raff? (don't think the district 9 dealios in my country)

doesn't seem like it will at this point. Maybe an updated demo might be in the cards? While the demo is REALLY AWESOME, it's also really unpolished.

Tom Penny

H.Cornerstone said:
God of War is just as much of an adventure game as it is an action game, therefore 60fps isn't as important as DMC or Bayonetta.

Shouldn't it look considerably better than DMC and Bayonetta then?

Lince

Banned
Rez said:
is there anyone here who actually prefers a variable 30-60 frame-rate over a locked 30?

God of War isn't exactly DMC/NG/Bayonetta, it would play just fine at 30.

well I've played through Chains of Olympus 7-8 times already and the 30 fps never got in the way, I was nailing my combo routines from GOW I&II day 1, stunning game btw, PSP <3

as for the demo I've noticed the variable framerate but doesn't bother me much (yet), the game looks insane and runs smooth enough, anyway I'm sure the current build is further optimiced in that regard.

Why the heck is Bayonetta even brought up in discussions involving visuals? To even give it a decent shot at visuals discussion would mean to put it closer to DMC4 or Ninja Gaiden, but even then, ehhhhh....

I look at this and something like Bayonetta and think geez, Sony devs barely treat their games like its the same generation of hardware in comparison. Textures, geometry, polygons, shaders, lighting, essentially everything involving graphics; it's like another level completely.

One thing that just popped in my head while in the middle of replaying GoW Collection... in the first game they made a huge deal about a mortal killing a god, even needing Pandora's Box to do it... but in the GoW III demo you just rip Helios' head off :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
_leech_ said:
One thing that just popped in my head while in the middle of replaying GoW Collection... in the first game they made a huge deal about a mortal killing a god, even needing Pandora's Box to do it... but in the GoW III demo you just rip Helios' head off :lol

Bububut Kratos alweady haz titan powerz.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you'd assume Helios has already been weakened in this demo, otherwise he'd be a giant stomping around ala Hades

spwolf

Kittonwy said:
Still debating whether I should pick this thing up or not.

for better or worse, it is not your classic sci-fi blockbuster... it is smart movie though, about immigrants, suffering and looking at things from different perspective.

if you like good films, you should pick it up.... but again, dont expect man in black 3. thats why it got so rave reviews, it is emotional indie flick wrapped in sci-fi story.

if you liked Moon, you will like this.

Jirotrom

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Why the heck is Bayonetta even brought up in discussions involving visuals? To even give it a decent shot at visuals discussion would mean to put it closer to DMC4 or Ninja Gaiden, but even then, ehhhhh....

I look at this and something like Bayonetta and think geez, Sony devs barely treat their games like its the same generation of hardware in comparison. Textures, geometry, polygons, shaders, lighting, essentially everything involving graphics; it's like another level completely.
I honestly see it as just a different style... bayonetta has a very anime like appearance, God of War is going for this painting classics feel, but even stating that yes its still on another level :lol :lol

Also I think this time around 30 fps fits better, God of war 3 has that film feel, its kind of how when I played bioshock the game just fit better in 30fps than in 60. Gave it that film feel.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rez said:
you'd assume Helios has already been weakened in this demo, otherwise he'd be a giant stomping around ala Hades

You'd then have to wonder how the hell a weakened god was giving a Titan trouble.

Afrikan said:
GEEZ......

MLB The Show 10... March 2nd

Battlefield Bad Company 2.......March something

and now GOW3.....March 16th

I'm probably missing something.
Final Fantasy, Yakuza 3, and Heavy Rain at the end of February.

Fuck you Sony!
oh sony, I can't stay mad at you

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
God of War has always been a March game.

And it's street dated on EB/GameStop's site now as of today. I imagine SCEA will announce it soon.

Dabanton

Yeah pretty impressive demo.

I loved fucking up the Chimera. The reveal that it was creeping behind you was awesome.

The final bit of the demo with the flying was a bit tricky though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dabanton said:
Yeah pretty impressive demo.

I loved fucking up the Chimera. The reveal that it was creeping behind you was awesome.

The final bit of the demo with the flying was a bit tricky though.
fighting more than one of them at once (with each in different forms as the battle progresses) is going to be fun.

Gouken

Banned
wow, didn't realize it's out. I'm all over it. Though i still need to finish GoW collection. I just hate skipping sequels.

Played it earlier and I'm simply blow away how this game looks even with the E3 demo... Cannot wait... Finished GOW1 few minutes ago and now its time for GOW2 :D picking up GOW3 on launch :D

Top Bottom