• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War interview, a few new details

bunkitz

Always thought the sex mini-games were awkward and unnecessary, but they'd be even worse here since you have your son with you the whole time.

I'm just really excited to hear that there'll be plenty of exploration this time around. It's a world I want to explore and get to know, and hearing that troll story makes it sound very much alive so hopefully we'll get a lot of that, but with explanations within the game and not just from the developers. (although, I suppose it's entirely possible that we didn't see any sort of explanation from the demo because it was a demo)

I generally like crafting in games, but it would be kind of weird seeing it in a God of War game, so I'm still not sure how I'd feel about it. Although, thinking about it... it does make sense if his son's a hunter-in-training. (I'm assuming we can call him that since Kratos said that his mother taught him how to hunt, right?) Speaking of the mother, really looking forward to learning more about her.

She's probably still alive, right...?

I didn't play the original God of War, but it's still pretty cool to hear that the original team's back. I wonder how many fans would agree with Cory that for them, the core of God of War is a "promise of adventure." To me, it was the crazy and epic action. At least, as my first thought.

Oh, and I really hope he meant that when he said a hundred enemies and wasn't just throwing a random high figure. Boy better step his game up when that horde comes.

Loudninja

Always thought the sex mini-games were awkward and unnecessary, but they'd be even worse here since you have your son with you the whole time.

I'm just really excited to hear that there'll be plenty of exploration this time around. It's a world I want to explore and get to know, and hearing that troll story makes it sound very much alive so hopefully we'll get a lot of that, but with explanations within the game and not just from the developers. (although, I suppose it's entirely possible that we didn't see any sort of explanation from the demo because it was a demo)

I generally like crafting in games, but it would be kind of weird seeing it in a God of War game, so I'm still not sure how I'd feel about it. Although, thinking about it... it does make sense if his son's a hunter-in-training. (I'm assuming we can call him that since Kratos said that his mother taught him how to hunt, right?) Speaking of the mother, really looking forward to learning more about her.

She's probably still alive, right...?

I didn't play the original God of War, but it's still pretty cool to hear that the original team's back. I wonder how many fans would agree with Cory that for them, the core of God of War is a "promise of adventure." To me, it was the crazy and epic action. At least, as my first thought.

Oh, and I really hope he meant that when he said a hundred enemies and wasn't just throwing a random high figure. Boy better step his game up when that horde comes.
I be find with 15 or 20.

But the way he is taking his son can help divide the enemies sometimes so it must be a pretty high number.

Monocle

Pretty much.
Why would they take it out.
The upside is people are finally going to stop calling Kratos a slut for his rampant and impulsive promiscuity. He'll still be impossible to take seriously until he covers up, though.

nel e nel

Pretty much.
Why would they take it out.

I've only played the Vita games and it is easily the most cringeworthy and juvenile part of the games, that are already filled to the brim with juvenile and cringeworthy writing. You are literally smashing O for O-face.

ngbbs4bbf8b11eb106.jpeg

They're fun games, no doubt, but really encapsulate a lot of the worst stereotypes of gaming.

Also, missed opportunity for a WHAT TREACHERY IS THIS response to this.

Yes, this is sounding great.

Great news on no sex mini game. Moth ball all the old Kratos tropes. If they are going for more pathos and empathy with the character, those things were juvenile and poorly integrated. Especially given the new direction, they wouldnt fit.

Ploid 3.0

Sif

It would be interesting if it's not Sif, though it would be very interesting if it is. This is going to be a long wait.

Myze

Whether there are still sex scenes or not, I guess we won't know until later/release. Would be fine if they aren't there at all, but sex scenes CAN be done well and tastefully (The Witcher 3).

For those mentioning the awkwardness of having sex scenes with the son there, it's unlikely the son would actually be WITH Kratos. I would think it's also just as likely if there are scenes, they would be of the son with a woman, because I think there is almost ZERO chance that the son isn't fully grown by the end of the game. I fully expect him to age at different stages of the game. For example, he's probably somewhere between 10 and 12 in the trailer. I would guess we will have a section of the game where he's an older teen (around 16-18). Then finally, have him be an adult (look like he's in his 20s).

I'm curious if the mother is still alive or if her "critical role" will be in flashbacks and/or mentions from Kratos/son.

Also, really excited about visiting the realms and which ones we will see. I really don't think this game is going to be about killing/hating the Norse gods. There is little reason for them to make, for example, Thor, the protector of humans, an enemy (assuming the son isn't Thor ;) ).

wapplew

Also, really excited about visiting the realms and which ones we will see. I really don't think this game is going to be about killing/hating the Norse gods. There is little reason for them to make, for example, Thor, the protector of humans, an enemy (assuming the son isn't Thor ;) ).

I don't know much about Norse gods, but I heard they are mostly cool. The title is God of War, not Gods killer, maybe they fight along side against bad creature this time.

bunkitz

I be find with 15 or 20.

But the way he is taking his son can help divide the enemies sometimes so it must be a pretty high number.

Okay, I honestly don't know why I said I'd hope for that, because a hundred is a ridiculous amount and I'd be happy with 15 to 20. That's already quite a lot, if you ask me, even for my Devil May Cry and classic God of War games standards. It's kind of hard to imagine how the boy will take care of himself if they're facing a hundred enemies. He can split them up but, what, is he expected to hold off at least, like, 25 enemies all on his own? Even if he could one-hit-kill them, some would eventually reach him and dish out some major damage. Unless the enemies won't ever try to attack him. Which would be pretty disappointing for me.

Sid

Thanks goes to Cyberia for posting it

A fantastic interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhgv9koPD0

A few tidbits:
-You may visit some of the 9 realms
-He mentions 15,20 and 100 enemies on screen
-Cory brought back the original team that worked on God Of War 1 they are all back bisides Jaffe of course.
-No morality system and no branching in the story
-The mother is a critical part of the story

The entire God of War team is not at SSM anymore, guys like Jonathan Hawkins, Andy Park, Stig etc. are all doing their own things now.

Loudninja

God of War | E3 2016 gameplay walkthrough | PS4
Last week, you got your first look at Santa Monica Studio‘s bold new take on its long-running God of War series. Given the upcoming game’s new direction, the incredible 10 minute-long gameplay sequence that debuted at the PlayStation E3 2016 Press Conference might have been a lot to take in. Duly, we sat down with Combat Designer Mihir Sheth and Gameplay Engineering Lead Jeet Shroff and had them talk us through the action. Take a look…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCDGnNncFX0

This one is from Sony.

_Ryo_

isnt residents evil, sort of over the shoulder? and have quite a bit of enemies on screen at once? so it can be done if they wanted to i think. especially bc you can throw.the axe. still its good to know the camera will pull out on big events.

Someone make a Kratos dead in water gif.

EDIT: Oh, it's just speculation that the sex minigame is out? Ok, you can have my trust back... for now.

bunkitz

God of War | E3 2016 gameplay walkthrough | PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCDGnNncFX0

This one is from Sony.

Thanks for sharing!

Not so much new info, although my biggest takeaway from this is that there's still so much more attacks with the axe that we haven't seen. I expected, of course, that there'd be more, but the way they said it made it sound like even more than I expected, which is really exciting. On the other hand, it's starting to sound like we'll only have the axe... We have dedicated aim and recall buttons, so either all other weapons will have similar ranged capabilities, or they'll simply not make use of those other buttons. I suppose the latter isn't unlikely, as the other weapons from before never had the same depth as the Blades of Chaos.

Johndoey

Banned
The sex mini-games were silly in a bad way. And more than that they would be completely out of place in this game.

Anyhoo, heading to different realms was expected and I can always count on GOW for spectacle.

Loudninja

Thanks for sharing!

Not so much new info, although my biggest takeaway from this is that there's still so much more attacks with the axe that we haven't seen. I expected, of course, that there'd be more, but the way they said it made it sound like even more than I expected, which is really exciting. On the other hand, it's starting to sound like we'll only have the axe... We have dedicated aim and recall buttons, so either all other weapons will have similar ranged capabilities, or they'll simply not make use of those other buttons. I suppose the latter isn't unlikely, as the other weapons from before never had the same depth as the Blades of Chaos.
They mention possible other weapons.

Could have been the opening scene with kratos smashing his wife. XOXOXOX!!!!!!

jk, that's cool they are keeping the tone of the game a certain way. Feel like its going to be "the last of us" style of some reason.

bunkitz

They mention possible other weapons.

Really? I know Cory's mentioned the possibility, but I don't think I heard it in the video. But hey, I'll take your word for it.

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's a known fact that there'd be pretty massive backlash if there was only one weapon in the game.

Loudninja

Really? I know Cory's mentioned the possibility, but I don't think I heard it in the video. But hey, I'll take your word for it.

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's a known fact that there'd be pretty massive backlash if there was only one weapon in the game.
No not this vid my bad.

GamesBeat: Are there going to be different weapons beyond just the axe?

Barlog: Maybe? We’re going to be talking more about that later on.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/18/s...-questions-about-the-amazing-god-of-war-demo/

Drencrom

All the GoW games have had multiple weapons, I don't see them changing that ever.

a harpy

For me, definitely adventure. I remember playing through 1 and being excited to see "what happens next" in 2, and eagerly anticipating seeing where you end up going and who you end up fighting for 3. I think that the crazy epic action is part of that adventure, though. Looking at all the little tidbits and discoveries in the trailer, I'm already getting this sense of "how are we gonna fight that?" and "I can't wait to see what that is doing / how it pisses off Kratos."

Salz01

My god is that all you guys going to focus on?

Yes. It's a staple of the series. It always seemed to be a hidden eastern egg you had to find. And looking back on it, it seemed pretty tame and no different from what's found in GTA. Not putting it in screams political correctness and all that stuff. It always surprises me that people object to having sex in a video game especially one that's rated M

Yes. It's a staple of the series. It always seemed to be a hidden eastern egg you had to find. And looking back on it, it seemed pretty tame and no different from what's found in GTA. Not putting it in screams political correctness and all that stuff. It always surprises me that people object to having sex in a video game especially one that's rated M

Agreed with what you posted.

If the team was no longer comfortable with putting in sex mini games then fair play to SSM but it does seem like a move to just avoid any drama.
Sex in the world of GoW is one of the places it most makes sense thematically speaking.

I'm gonna guess that the plot will be about Kratos finding the mom so he can bring the kid back to her, but the true journey is about the two bonding and learning what they mean to one another.

On the no Sex Minigame thing, I can understand how it would clash with the tone that this game is going for if there's some minigame of Kratos going to war with some Valkyrie chick or something. The original God of War games were basically Heavy Metal stories made into games. This seems to be basically copying all the stuff that made The Last of Us and New Tomb Raider a success, so that would just be really out of place. I am however imagining the idea of Kratos teaching his son how to be a man and gaining KNOWLEDGE XP with that, which would be hilarious, but in all the wrong ways.

Vaga

I disagree, I believe It's got more to do with the different direction, emotional and serious tone SSM decided to go with. Sex minigames were cool and silly and always enjoyed them in past games but having them in this refreshing setting would be out of place and rather distasteful. I'm glad they decided not to include them.

Salz01

I disagree, I believe It's got more to do with the different direction, emotional and serious tone SSM decided to go with. Sex minigames were cool and silly and always enjoyed them in past games but having them in this refreshing setting would be out of place and rather distasteful. I'm glad they decided not to include them.

So instead, of having a mature sex scene thats emotional and serious and God forbid 'tasteful' we'll just not have it all together.

It would take effort on the devs part to make it thematically fit. And could help push the medium forward. And maybe the devs don't have the time, funds, or resources to make it fit. But this setting and Norse mythology had sex in it or at least has sexual connotations in it. Plus this involves a story about a father, mother and their son. At some point sex was a factor. Unless that kid is supposed to be Jesus Christ.

I'm still getting the game because I look forward to the core gameplay of the God of war series. Not having a sex mini game really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and I'm personally glad now that I know, but it's disappointing. It's a topic that doesn't get pushed forward in the medium. And I think it's because a small minority always object to it, and is loud about it.

Lady Gaia

So instead, of having a mature sex scene thats emotional and serious and God forbid 'tasteful' we'll just not have it all together.

We know we don't have a sex mini-game, but you're ranting about not having a mature sex scene — without confirmation that there isn't one.

It's a topic that doesn't get pushed forward in the medium. And I think it's because a small minority always object to it, and is loud about it.

Right, that's why the most recent Witcher and Dragon Age games don't have sex scenes. I know it's hip to complain about some minority taking away all the things you like in video games, but it literally hasn't happened. As it turns out, lots of women are fine with sexuality in video games when it doesn't reinforce misogynistic tendencies in society.

Just another tidbit. David Jaffe originally talked wanting God of War to be Sony's "Zelda" so it is absolutely spot on when Cory says one of the core themes is going on a grand adventure. Puzzles and travel are big parts of GOW, I imagine it got more set piece and action heavy because of fan reaction and success.

Pizza

The sex mini games were a goofy aside for some Ez orbs but they won't really be missed (by me)

Rest of that info sounds like more than enough to make up for em

Top Bottom