• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - No epic boss fights due to shoulder-cam and setting? Guessss again!

Blobbers

I hope they don't "evolve" the level progression.

This is one of my only remaining doubts. Ever since I saw the E3 demo, and even after Cory said there will be big boss fights, I got the feeling that GoW is gonna try and be a bit less of a classic hack n' slash, and my feare is that there's gonna be all these changes and one of them might be abandoning the linear, but imo well-paced progression where 100% of the time you keep working toward your ultimate goal, be it getting toe the oracle, then pandora's box, be it getting to the sisters of fate or be it getting to zeus. I think this is what makes these games so fun to replay. I thought Uncharted 4 had a lot of dead air compared to the first 3 games which is more apparent upon replays. I hope GoW doesn't end up having a hub where you can take on missions and side mission, or even if there isn't there end up being missions like "go with your son on another hunt" that have almost no action, instead it's mostly bonding and shit.

Basically, I want shit to hit the fan at the point where the demo ends or so. For example, the kid gets kidnapped and there's your end goal, you don't need anything else. Now go force your way through to your goal.

I have faith in Cory, I just hope their line of thinking when designing this game isn't "gamers these days want a more intimate, a more mature experience". We have plenty of those games already

Darknight

If you look at the leaked art works. You can see the floating character art here: (or maybe not? Close?)

yuRI5tX.jpg

b1SMqCa.gif

Looks to be some sort of guardian:

Lastly I really hope Shinobi tries to be more careful how he hints at leak game info. He could have given away a kid being involved. ("To Valhalla....My boy" or whatever tweet) Anyways the leaked artwork clearly show Kratos being accompanied by a young kid here:

Surprised no one liked those 2 bits. Glad they werent.

firelogic

Do people really think there won't be large setpieces and boss fights in a new GoW?

Cory already stated that all the gore and setpiece battles will be in the new game. They just chose not to show it because everyone knows they can do that stuff. They wanted to show everything that's different about this game.

And I don't see why they can't pull the camera out for bigger battles. The perspective isn't an all or nothing kind of thing. But I'm not a game dev so what do I know?

eloxx

Those findings are really cool. I admire people who go through those scenes again and again just to find hidden stuff.

Darknight

I hope they don't "evolve" the level progression.

This is one of my only remaining doubts. Ever since I saw the E3 demo, and even after Cory said there will be big boss fights, I got the feeling that GoW is gonna try and be a bit less of a classic hack n' slash, and my feare is that there's gonna be all these changes and one of them might be abandoning the linear, but imo well-paced progression where 100% of the time you keep working toward your ultimate goal, be it getting toe the oracle, then pandora's box, be it getting to the sisters of fate or be it getting to zeus. I think this is what makes these games so fun to replay. I thought Uncharted 4 had a lot of dead air compared to the first 3 games which is more apparent upon replays. I hope GoW doesn't end up having a hub where you can take on missions and side mission, or even if there isn't there end up being missions like "go with your son on another hunt" that have almost no action, instead it's mostly bonding and shit.

Basically, I want shit to hit the fan at the point where the demo ends or so. For example, the kid gets kidnapped and there's your end goal, you don't need anything else. Now go force your way through to your goal.

I have faith in Cory, I just hope their line of thinking when designing this game isn't "gamers these days want a more intimate, a more mature experience". We have plenty of those games already

Its not open world so you dont have to worry about that.

Also keep in mind the other GOW games were short. I feel that they can add more content to flesh out the story better and give Krato's character more depth. Looks like they will. So should make for a better paced game. Doesnt mean it needs useless filler but definitely add more background info. I think they will need to, to explain how he got there anyways.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
One of the interviews with Cory at E3 had him explicitly saying none of those epic boss fights are going away. Kind of silly to assume that because of the camera or setting too.

BlitzKeeg

That looks so cool!

I hope it's the Nidhogg, although it's supposed to be a giant worm, so I suppose it having scales doesn't make any sense.

That said I hope you fight the Nidhogg regardless. It would be cool to fight something that dives in an out of the ground and you have to follow through its tunnels

silva1991

I have no doubt the game is gonna be great, but the over the shoulder camera is shit

it's the same reason I didn't like what I saw in Hellblade

if only they change that or make it optional

I would rather the camera from behind like countless action games like Bayonetta, Soulsborne etc.

My doubts come in when I think of how all of this will play. I never liked melee combat with ots camera. If they can change that with this game I will be fine I think.

pixelation

I like those gifs, they make them creatures look extra creepy... kinda like in that "Signs" movie when they show the camcorder clip of the alien on the news

Loudninja

Looks like the camera will automatically adjust based on the enemy and the distance from it, they did a great job imho

2 quick screens from the video

hjkhjkhjrujah.png

gyuufyuyi5khp.png

It will stay really close only during exploration and in fights with little and few enemies or when you are distant form a big enemie imho, like in the first encounter of the video.
Yeah it constantly adjusting in the vid.

I bet each fight will be adjusted accordingly.

CHC

Nice finds. I was so expecting this game to be stupid but the more I see and the more I imagine, the more excited I get. Seeing that dragon / niddhogg / whatever flying in the distance just got me all giddy for the inevitable crazy set piece in which it is featured.

Ploid 3.0

This game is going to be stinking beautiful. I hope the road to whatever Kratos will be doing is so good that I'd do it over and over from time to time, like Need for Speed The Run (hey I like the different locations and it looks so pretty on PC, the racing is good to me as well).

Anyone think that they'll pull back the camera for the boss fights?, so that the sense of scale is greater?

Yes, they already did that to an extent with the big troll. Plus at this very same E3 games like Nier 2 were shown where the camera shifts during part of a boss fight (from a third person action cam to a top-down bullet hell one) - but somehow people think the devs behind the inanely gargantuan bosses of God of War 3 are going to be incapable of manipulating the camera? No idea where this unfounded fear is coming from that Sony Santa Monica suddenly lost all its skill with set piece boss fights.

Tonky

Slightly off topic but did anyone else notice that Kratos has the exact same walking animation as Joel from TLOU? He even flops his arms around the same way.

Damn OP you got me hyped. I can only imagine the crazyness mixed with the insane graphics.

The per object motion blur is fantastic as well. Makes it feel like CG.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Epic bosses are confirmed, but I'm still concerned about the horde fights.
I mean, I need some of this:
dwud55jpg.gif

gow3.gif

god-of-war-ascension-o.gif

Tonky

Epic bosses are confirmed, but I'm still concerned about the horde fights.
I mean, I need some of this:
They're going for a more "personal" experience. There's nothing less personal than fighting a horde. Remember how the Troll would say things to Kratos and his son during the fight? That's what it'll be like.

Man I didn't catch that giant serpent in the trailer until you pointed it out, awesome!

I just wonder how the giant fights will work, in the old games Kratos had his chain blades to propel him up over and around all sorts of things. He used them as swings and grappling hooks the whole time to scale everything. I wonder how it plays out with Axe man

This is like an atom of Midgard Serpent's poop, if they use the actual Midgard Serpent of norse mythology.

Pretty much

Norse folklore has plenty of large serpents. If that's the world serpent, then they have an odd sense of scale. Unless this takes place at a time when it is still growing.

MaxHouse

Banned
I was thinking about a Kratos vs. Beowulf boss fight :) and I was hyped

but then i realized Beowulf is an English Anglo-Saxon warrior I believe...then i cried

Pretty much

Norse folklore has plenty of large serpents. If that's the world serpent, then they have an odd sense of scale. Unless this takes place at a time when it is still growing.

Now, at the end of the day we are talking about a video game which obviously will take some freedom to squezze Kratos into a Norse mythology setting, so they'll also use some freedom when it comes to scale.

The World Serpent could have been scaled-down a little to make it even possible to setup a fight against it. Other creatures, especially the well-known animals of the gods, like the boars from Freya and Freyr, might have been enlarged to make it more epic. One way or the other, I am totally hyped for the epicness this game promisses.

One thing I've noticed, and I haven't kept up with discussions in all of these threads to know if it's come up, is that there seem to be patches of the forest that are full of sunlight with the glow of spring/summer while all around it is cold/snow. Any Norse myth related to that or am I misremembering the video (only seen it twice)?

One thing I've noticed, and I haven't kept up with discussions in all of these threads to know if it's come up, is that there seem to be patches of the forest that are full of sunlight with the glow of spring/summer while all around it is cold/snow. Any Norse myth related to that or am I misremembering the video (only seen it twice)?

While snow itself is nothing special in Scandinavia, a three year long winter is a sign of Ragnarök.

I found two more potential candidates, one of them was already mentionend:

Nidhöggr, a "death dragon" who's joined by the two snakes Moinn und Goinn.

And there is Garm, the watch dog / hell hound of the underworld, like Cerberus in the Greek mythology.

Ploid 3.0

Now, at the end of the day we are talking about a video game which obviously will take some freedom to squezze Kratos into a Norse mythology setting, so they'll also use some freedom when it comes to scale.

The World Serpent could have been scaled-down a little to make it even possible to setup a fight against it. Other creatures, especially the well-known animals of the gods, like the boars from Freya and Freyr, might have been enlarged to make it more epic. One way or the other, I am totally hyped for the epicness this game promisses.

In Final Fantasy XI, Jormungand is a tiny dragon. Videogames! It's like when tv shows have to scale down events from books to realistic proportions (man these dire wolves are expensive, shorten their screen time, write them out of the story). Text can go wild with their imagination, images as well. When you have to animate stuff, design games around it, cast actors, and are assigned a certain time slots, things will probably have to get scaled down. (noticed the pun)

If Midgard Serpent is in the game in all it's glory, it'll most likely just be a background dressing or something that you definitely don't get to fight.

manfestival

over the shoulder and creepy god of war... seems like a different direction all together. not sure if want but I will end up buying it and liking it regardless because I am hopeless with kratos

Utgard-Loki, the leader of frost giants:

800px-Louis_Huard_-_Giant_Skrymir_and_Thor.jpg

He's the one on the right, Thor is the one on the left.

It would be a pretty cool boss fight.

I think it'd be so cool if one of these giant guys was just... benevolent, and cool with Kratos. I mean, we kind of saw a bit of that with Gaia and the Titans midway through the original trilogy, but goddamn, Kratos deserves a friend

DirtyLarry

I'm so psyched about this game. Even more so as it is going to be like playing myself. A friend of mine even reached out on Facebook the other day to say how much old man Kratos looks like me.
qoTb.png

MaxHouse

Banned
watching the e3 sony conference again...

the reaction that Kratos got was one of the loudest reactions I have ever heard at an E3

Cory even cracks a smile when he hears it

Top Bottom