• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - No epic boss fights due to shoulder-cam and setting? Guessss again!

Apparently, the new God of War with its Norse mythology setting has switched to shoulder cam, which made some members ask themselves if we will still experience fights against giant, titan-level bosses during the game.

In this thread, I want to show and discuss possible candidates for boss and semi-boss fights resulting from the new scenario, as well as recap some amazing details of the E3 trailer. But first of all, there is a question to be answered: Will the new shoulder camera prevent us from experience those fights in the first place?!

Well, if you thought that the new cam and / or setting will reduce the size of potential candidates being axed by Hippster-Kratos, guess again!

Now, first you have to know two things before I go into detail about those big new enemies. First of all, the premise is that it is not a given that Kratos is going on a killing spree to get his revenge on the Norse Gods like Thor, Odin and Loki.
We don’t know anything yet about why Kratos turned up where he is now or who or what brought him there. So this game isn't necessarily about the classic “Kratos fights Gods and Titans and gets their mojo” approach, which made past GoW games so great.This is why I won't disguss fights against those well-known Norse Gods, we are all familiar with, thanks to Marvel :).

Furthermore, you have to know that the E3 trailer of God of War was packed with amazing details, some of them hidden well so they are popping up days after the show, here are some examples:

b1SMqCa.gif

wVsBEYS.gif

Now, here’s the literally big one:

snake21ektp.png

For those familiar with the trailer, this is the scene were we see the whole scale of GoW’s landscape, and surely the approaching Dragon catches our eyes. So, while most of us looked at that Dragon, there was a “little” detail which could easily be missed, a potential enemy which seems to be the much, MUCH bigger threat for Kratos and his son:
giphy.gif

Yes, that seems to be some giant snake moving from the right to the left, and some of us think it’s big enough to qualify for being the famous Midgard Serpent, also known as Jörmungandr or the World Serpent:
snake1ykah.jpg

This indicates we’ll be able to fight some of the trademark creatures of Norse mythology.
Here are some other candidates:
trust_fenrir_tyre-t2.jpg

Fenrir

220px-The_giant_with_the_flaming_sword_by_Dollman.jpg

Surtr, the Devil Giant with the flaming sword
Now, those three are the “big ones”, as they take a major role during the event of Ragnarök, but as you might know, the norse mythology speaks of nine worlds, each having different kinds of inhabitants, like the Giants called Jötunn or Jötnar.

tl,dr: I have no doubt that GoW will deliver amazing epic fights against giant enemies.

Are some of you familiar with other potential enemies standing in the way of Kratos and hin son?

EDIT

Apparently, Eurogamer made a nice video which summarizes all the findings so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT2xbPzYqsQ

Ploid 3.0

Yeah I never questioned it. Demon's souls had big battles and it was close camera as well. I bet they might pull out at some points for nostalgia or a nod to the other games.

vivekTO

It's a bit difficult to capture the scale of a boss fight like cronos in gow3 via shoulder cam, but that needed to be seen and i hope in future presentations , we can see atleast one boss fight.

I just really want that Odin/Thor whatever fight to look like it's straight out of a Heavy Metal drawing from Frazetta or something. Nothing like the marvel movie series at all please.

dity

I assumed the big enemy in the trailer made it fairly obvious that huge bosses are going to be in the game.

I think that's just flowing water or icey water rather than a big snake or dragon.

I felt during the battles the camera was too close. Needs to pan out further when you're in the thick of it. Hope to see more but I'm not convinced of this reboot off the initial reveal.

mcz117chief

I would be surprised if the ENTIRE game was played from the perspective of the shoulder-cam. Like in all the previous God of War games the perspective is most certainly going to switch.

Utgard-Loki, the leader of frost giants:

800px-Louis_Huard_-_Giant_Skrymir_and_Thor.jpg

He's the one on the right, Thor is the one on the left.

It would be a pretty cool boss fight.

Fliesen

I think that's just flowing water or icey water rather than a big snake or dragon.

I felt during the battles the camera was too close. Needs to pan out further when you're in the thick of it. Hope to see more but I'm not convinced of this reboot off the initial reveal.
giphy.gif

nah, man, those are scales.

and they're clearly moving in front of the treeline - if that were a river, you'd see some kind of shoreline.

DieH@rd

Banned
This is a God of War game, of course there will be bossfight insanity and visual spectacle.

I think it was good thing to show this opening slow section at E3, it effectively shows how the game is changed. That was more important to show than brutal fights.

cordy

Banned
I could have sworn that Cory Balrog said the big GOW boss battles will still be in the game but the reason they weren't in the E3 demo is because it should have been obvious and they wanted to show a new side to Kratos.

Man some of those hidden monsters are spooky as hell. Doubt there will be any problems with scale, I imagine they'll pull the camera back for big moments and it'll control like the old days.

Milijango

That Jormungandr tease is fantastic, but I was never really concerned about the camera. People seem to forget that developers have the technology to, you know, change camera position at important moments.

Ploid 3.0

This is like an atom of Midgard Serpent's poop, if they use the actual Midgard Serpent of norse mythology.

Well it's a videogame, if they actually use the Jörmungandr in the game, some things may need to be reduced. Maybe they'll only show it's thin tail, or a section where you're moving along/across it's back as the world speeds by with the giant beast unaware of a huge battle taking place on it. It's the logo of the game, so it will be used somehow.

JP

So far there's been nothing to suggest that the camera angle used won't change when it's appropriate to do so for the game. I don't in any way think that the new camera angle restricts the type of enemies we'll be fighting.

I came here to see an epic boss fight, but will leave disappointed.

I'm not sure who said there wouldn't be big boss fights though - the Dark Souls games have a camera following the character and plenty of awesome bosses. It'll be different but no less amazing.

If it's water then it's flowing uphill.

Skux

One only needs to play Metal Gear Rising or Bayonetta to see that epic battles are possible using an over-the-shoulder camera.

oni-link

So I'm guessing we'll find out what happened at the end of GoW3 then? I thought
Kratos died

Also if this is a continuation of the story they shouldn't just call it "God of War"

That's fine if it's a reboot, but give it a subtitle or call it God of War 4, there is already a game called God of War

On topic, it would go without saying they would try and keep the elements the series is known for, like the big boss battles, even with the change in perspective

kyser73

All Cory said is that the game will have a single camera.

Nothing about where that camera needs to be placed in relation to Kratos.

Ploid 3.0

So I'm guessing we'll find out what happened at the end of GoW3 then? I thought
Kratos died

A series of events happened. I guess that will be the opening to the game. Like the first level being so epic in GOW2. Hope this game tops that opening.

jCNV8TX.jpg

All Cory said is that the game will have a single camera.

Nothing about where that camera needs to be placed in relation to Kratos.

Yeah, the camera moves around quite a bit in the demo. From the Troll grab and slam to the ground, to the bow aiming. There's even the final pan out at the end, though during a cutscene, but like GOW3's opening battles you can imagine the camera zoming in and out according to what's needed.

elixia

great thread. i didn't even know that it's going to be a norse myth, which is going to be frickin awesome, since i'm a big fan of norse myth-based games. valkyrie profile series being one.

can't wait to see more hidden details popping up

Corpsepyre

Banned
Could it be that the snake is actually some traversal device like the snakes in GoW Ascension? The mind is boggled as to how you'll fight that thing, but then again, this IS GoW.

I could have sworn that Cory Balrog said the big GOW boss battles will still be in the game but the reason they weren't in the E3 demo is because it should have been obvious and they wanted to show a new side to Kratos.

That's great, and I think it was the right choice. They are taking this franchise in the perfect direction IMO; after six very similar GoW games I feel like a new direction like this is exactly what it needs.

3JORN

I did not not that serpent in the background wow! Also holy crap that wraith! Just saw it much more clearly now.

BHK3

Banned
Until I see actual gameplay footage and not kratos slowly hacking away with his tree axe on a skeleton, I'm dubious of everything they say. The exp, the ellie/elizabeth helper button, the dumb title despite it supposedly being a sequel, nothing here sounds right about GoW. Change is fine, but the DNA has been changed. Am I going to be able to grab onto a large enemy and the camera will just pan out as I press the right buttons to take it down? We went from a fps plague to a tps plague. The Last of Us was a mistake.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Anyone else find this a tad creepy?
b1SMqCa.gif

Great topic. I love details like this.

Just after Kratos defeats the first three enemies and begins walking through the arches after his son, you see a strange creature moving from left to right. Is this that creature or is it another creature?

edit: yes it is.

Wait... People thought there wont be epic boss fights? Lmao.

There were people taking this into question, due to the new camera angle. I just saw no need for fingerpointing.

Btw, there are more lovely details in that trailer, like this:

ClCzupdUgAA5gZU.jpg

Oh, I should add that those are not my finds, Kudoz belongs to the guys from DetectiveGAF, not me, I just summarized the findings so far.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
OTS camera is fucking terrible, they really need to ditch it. It ruins games, ie Socom 4.

Cory said there would be epic boss fights, the game will have the sense of scale everyone knows God of War is known for and that the troll is a typical enemy you just come across on your journey. Also, there will be a large variety of environments you explore. He also stated that there were tons of easter eggs in the footage, called out IGN for finding like 2% of em, lol.

He said it's full blown God of War and since he's already directed God of War 2, I don't think he's bullshitting. I expect the next time this game is shown, its going to be some insane shit going on. They already fully proven that the change with Kratos as a person is being done very well, time to put all doubts to rest and show that he can also rip out the guts of a 100 foot leviathan.

Top Bottom