• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - No epic boss fights due to shoulder-cam and setting? Guessss again!

LastNac

So far there's been nothing to suggest that the camera angle used won't change when it's appropriate to do so for the game. I don't in any way think that the new camera angle restricts the type of enemies we'll be fighting.
Been told by several devs on the show floor, Cory included, that we will see the camera pull back for scope and scale.

Drencrom

What's the over/under that you get Mjolnir to use in this game?

I'd say the probability that we get to use it is pretty high if we go by the fact that Kratos got a new ability/item or a new weapon from every god in GoW3.

Rocking Thor's hammer as a weapon makes a lot of sense too.

Mentok

Banned
Apparently, the new God of War with its Norse mythology setting has switched to shoulder cam, which made some members ask themselves if we will still experience fights against giant, titan-level bosses during the game.

Seriously? There were people questioning whether there would be big boss fights in a GoW game?!

Ganondorfo

Will it have an epic opening boss fight like the Hydra/Colossus and Poseidon. Because that was the trademark for this series, starting with a huge set piece boss fight. I forgot about Ascension, so I dont remember if that game had an epic boss fight (except for that final boss fight, that one was epic).

I don't think it's a question of whether or not it's technically possible. But if it'll be well executed and do justice to the camera change.

labaronx

Anyone else find this a tad creepy?
b1SMqCa.gif

Great topic. I love details like this.

Hela... goddess of the norse underworld???

i watched like 10 times this video and is the first time im seeing the scales, im not surprised though in my hearts of hearts i thought fighting the serpent would be the biggest fighting scene that would define this game like previous ones.

im excited thinking how it will go down

Utgard-Loki, the leader of frost giants:

800px-Louis_Huard_-_Giant_Skrymir_and_Thor.jpg

He's the one on the right, Thor is the one on the left.

It would be a pretty cool boss fight.

A better boss fight than that would be having Kratos wrestle old age like Thor did but actually winning. Old age would be in the guise of an old woman too.

I am so fucking excited for this game. The thought of fighting through this creepy magical land with dangerous creatures lurking in every nook and cranny......so fucking excited!

Mariolee

The fight with the troll in the gameplay demo actually felt more intimidating than many "gigantic" boss fights. I actually think the shoulder-cam will give a greater sense of perspective with bigger bosses leading to more "epic" boss fights.

Thewonandonly

The fight with the troll in the gameplay demo actually felt more intimidating than many "gigantic" boss fights. I actually think the shoulder-cam will give a greater sense of perspective with bigger bosses leading to more "epic" boss fights.
That's honestly what I thought to. Also this will make the game better on second play througs. With a more fun strategic combat system it can make the game just not be about the spectacle. Don't get me wrong God of War 3 was honesly a 9.5 for me first play trough. But the next ones got more and more boring.

Also sad to hear ascensions last boss fight was one of the best since I quit at that fucking elevator bullshit part haha

why would someone put a question in my mouth I never would ask? Guesss again...

Exhibit A, althoug his reasoning was more related to the kid than the camera-angle. Quite a lot of people in the reveal thread however mentioned they are not happy about the new camera as well, especially with regard to huge enemies or hordes of them.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Dark Souls has plenty of epic boss fights.

I doubt we'll be running on a titan again, but most of the epicness in GoW was the QTE critical take downs anyways.

Dark Souls has a free 3rd person camera.

I like the over the shoulder view. Gives a great sense of scale. Giant creatures should look awesome.

Unless they're too giant and you can't see them. GOW games have mastered using a distant camera in select scenes to emphasize environmental scale. A camera locked to your character also locks the FOV, so they'll have to work around that. I guess you're talking about showing the monster's scale, which will indeed happen with a close camera, but will it compromise playability?

Exhibit A, althoug his reasoning was more related to the kid than the camera-angle. Quite a lot of people in the reveal thread however mentioned they are not happy about the new camera as well, especially with regard to huge enemies or hordes of them.

As if you can't have the kid stay on the ground while you're climbing all over some giant monster? Easy.

Wow.

I have to say before the game was revealed I was hoping for someone completely new. But now I am liking that it is still Kratos. He looks great and just look at the history you can see in his design. Stomach scar from GoW3. The chaos chains scars he is trying to cover up. It's all so awesome.

Keasar

My only criticism I had was that I thought the design of the Troll Kratos fought was a bit too western. They should have gone more Scandinavian with the bigger nose and more exaggerated features.

Other than that, looking very much forward to see all the other Nordic mythological creatures you get to slay. :D

Bishop89

There were people taking this into question, due to the new camera angle. I just saw no need for fingerpointing.

Btw, there are more lovely details in that trailer, like this:

ClCzupdUgAA5gZU.jpg

Oh, I should add that those are not my finds, Kudoz belongs to the guys from DetectiveGAF, not me, I just summarized the findings so far.

i love this.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Been told by several devs on the show floor, Cory included, that we will see the camera pull back for scope and scale.

During cutscenes, sure. But during combat? Will the control scheme change, too? How can you have movement on the left stick and camera on the right stick and then have it zoom out (other than along the z-axis directly behind the player)?

Memento

Yeah, I agree.

I just really want that Odin/Thor whatever fight to look like it's straight out of a Heavy Metal drawing from Frazetta or something. Nothing like the marvel movie series at all please.
The Marvel movie designs were some of the more disappointing designs in the whole MCU for me.

Hell yes to Frazetta inspired designs.

Garmr or Garm

The guard dog to the gates of Hel.

98fb3f79287904cdc4aea4000b9fb375.jpg

Garm fighting Tyr.

I imagine fighting Garm and being like "woah damn that was intense" and then running into Fenrir later on like "hooooly shit!"

Also, the fur is looking great from the trailer so I imagine these 2 enemies to look pretty spectacular.

Until I see actual gameplay footage and not kratos slowly hacking away with his tree axe on a skeleton, I'm dubious of everything they say. The exp, the ellie/elizabeth helper button, the dumb title despite it supposedly being a sequel, nothing here sounds right about GoW. Change is fine, but the DNA has been changed. Am I going to be able to grab onto a large enemy and the camera will just pan out as I press the right buttons to take it down? We went from a fps plague to a tps plague. The Last of Us was a mistake.

So basically you saw a ten minute gameplay trailer, and you believe the game director may be lying when he talks about anything which was not in that trailer?!

Henkka

Banned
Wow.

I have to say before the game was revealed I was hoping for someone completely new. But now I am liking that it is still Kratos. He looks great and just look at the history you can see in his design. Stomach scar from GoW3. The chaos chains scars he is trying to cover up. It's all so awesome.

Yeah the visual of him trying to hide the scars is fantastic. That detail alone kind of sells the pitch.

Kinyou

I just wonder how they'll handle the kid being around. From one of the other interviews it sounds like he'll be part of the combat system so I imagine he'll be there for most of the time.

c8xvp5l.jpg

You better run, Thor!
Oh cool, you can see the scars the chains left on his arms.

bunkitz

Fenrir and Jörmungandr, please. They would be such epic boss fights. I can imagine the latter being the opening boss fight, but seeing the demo and it being there like that, then maybe not.

I'd love Surtr too, although I'd prefer if he was saved for a sequel, maybe? I'm assuming the entire, or most of the game takes place in Midgard. Perhaps some in Asgard...? Either ways, I'd prefer to save Muspelheim for another game.

Black Storm

Neo Member
I am sure there will be much of Epic boss fights in the new GoW , the giant enemy in the E3 gameplay is just a normal enemy , but the battle against him was Epic ! so I guess we will see Epic boss fights in the final version .

reKon

Banned
With the over the shoulder view I'm hoping that this means contextual melee and animations all throughout the game! That's one of the things that makes replays of TLoU and Uncharted 4 so fun

I think having the demonstration be tight and intimate will make the grand scale even more profound, especially if they do start introducing enormous enemies and huge worlds.

Loudninja

I just wonder how they'll handle the kid being around. From one of the other interviews it sounds like he'll be part of the combat system so I imagine he'll be there for most of the time.

Oh cool, you can see the scars the chains left on his arms.
They said he wont get in the way or kill enemies just assist when you asked.

Top Bottom