• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War |OT| Like Father, (Un)Like Son

NovumAngel

Banned
God.of.War.%282018%29.full.2179060.jpg

Platform: Playstation 4
Developer: Santa Monica Studio
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Release Date: 20th April 2018
Genre: Action / Adventure
Price: €69.99 (EU Digital Deluxe Edition), $69.99 (US Digital Deluxe Edition)
Official Website: Link

Metacritic: 95
OpenCritic: 95 'Mighty'
Review Thread: Link

25980405398_473b21d8cf_h.jpg
39821621812_f5a841ad53_h.jpg
39823283872_85ee1af347_h.jpg

dims

STORY
Many years have passed since Kratos took his vengeance against the Olympian gods. Having survived his final encounter with Zeus, Kratos now lives with his young son Atreus in the world of the Norse gods, a savage land inhabited by many ferocious monsters and warriors. In order to teach his son how to survive in such a world, Kratos must master the rage that has driven him for many years and embrace his newfound role as a single father and mentor. Kratos must also contend with the Norse gods themselves as they are taking precautions against him, due to them being aware of his role in the destruction of Olympus. Over the course of their time together, Atreus learns more about his father's complicated and shady past, while struggling with whether to be like his father or choose to be his own person.

GAMEPLAY

The new installment features a third-person, over-the-shoulder free camera, a departure from the previous installments, which featured a third-person, fixed cinematic camera. Cinematographically, the game is presented in a continuous shot, with no camera cuts. Enemies in the game stem from Norse mythology, such as trolls, ogres, and draugrs, as well as revenants, beings warped by seiðr magic.

Kratos now uses a magical battle axe, called the Leviathan Axe, instead of his signature double baldes, which can be infused with different elemental abilities and thrown at enemies. For example, the axe can be engulfed in ice and Kratos can hurl it at an enemy and magically summon it back to his hand (similar to Thor's hammer Mjölnir). Kratos can also charge the axe and let out a burst of energy that damages nearby enemies. The axe has light and heavy attacks; heavy attacks allow Kratos to launch enemies into the air. Larger enemies, such as an ogre, have precision targets and throwing the axe at those targets will stun the enemy. The weapon can also be thrown at environmental objects, such as a container, to trigger an explosion that will damage nearby enemies. The Leviathan Axe can be upgraded by using runes, with one slot being for light attacks and the other for heavy. This provides players with a variety of options to cater to their own play style. Another new weapon that Kratos utilizes is a shield. When not in use, it folds up and appears like armor on Kratos' left forearm. When summoned, the shield can be used offensively and defensively. Kratos can also utilize hand-to-hand combat.

The game is open, but it is not open-world. Due to it being open, players can encounter optional boss battles, in addition to the regular story-based bosses. Quick time events have changed from previous games. Instead, enemies display two meters above their heads, one for health and the other for stun. Filling up the stun meter helps in defeating more difficult enemies. When the stun meter is full, a grab-prompt will appear. Depending on the enemy, Kratos may rip it in half, or he may grab them and throw them into other enemies, among other possible outcomes.

The game features elements similar to RPG's, such as archery knowledge points, as well as a Spartan Rage timed-ability during battle, similar to the "Rage" ability of previous installments. Like the previous versions, the Rage ability has a meter that gradually fills during combat. With this ability, Kratos uses powerful bare-handed attacks, as opposed to weapons, to greatly damage enemies. There are also crafting resources for the player to find. These resources allow players to create new armor or upgrades to existing armor. Throughout the game world, players can find chests with an item called Hacksilver, which is a key component in creating new items. Experience points are also required for upgrades and making new items.

Although the game is played entirely as Kratos, there are times when the player may choose to passively control Kratos' son, Atreus. One button is dedicated to Atreus and its use depends on the context. For example, if the player needs assistance, they can look at an enemy, press the button, and Atreus will use his bow to shoot arrows at the enemy. The arrows have little effect on an enemy's health, but they do increase their stun meter. Over the course of the game, Atreus helps in combat, traversal, exploration, and puzzle-solving. When facing a large number of enemies, he freely acts as a distraction for the weaker ones as Kratos fights the stronger ones. If too many enemies gang up on Atreus, he is knocked out for the remainder of that combat. Just like Kratos, Atreus acquires new skills, armor, and special abilities, such as lightning arrows.

Deep-end.jpg

God of War: A Call from the Wilds
god-of-war-call-from-the-wilds-concept-art-facebook-messenger2_1200x500.jpg

God of War: A Call from the Wilds is a text-based game playable through Facebook Messenger released on February 1, 2018. Completing the game unlocks downloadable concept art. The short story follows Atreus on his first adventure in the Norse wilds. After archery training and learning runes with his mother, Atreus adventures into the wilderness after telepathically hearing the voice of a dying deer; he finds it covered in blood and stays with it during its final moments. A couple of draugrs appear and Atreus attempts to fight them, but is injured. He is saved by his father, Kratos, who was out hunting. The two then battle a revenant before returning home.

F.A.Q.
Do I need to play the previous games in the series before this one?

As this game is a soft reboot for the series it won't rely too heavily on previous games, but this game is still a sequel to those games so some knowledge is helpful.

How is this game for pro users?

Point me to the spoiler thread!
Here it is.

DarpWzTVMAEES1y.jpg:large

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nice job with the OT!!! I personally was skeptical about this but the more I hear about the combat the more I get excited for this game.

Bryank75

Banned
Wow, nice job!
Just a warning if you're avoiding spoilers... Youtube is recommending spoiler videos when you're watching reviews. The spoiler is mentioned in title and seen in thumbnail so it only takes a fraction of a second. Be careful!

Danjin44

Wow, nice job!
Just a warning if you're avoiding spoilers... Youtube is recommending spoiler videos when you're watching reviews. The spoiler is mentioned in title and seen in thumbnail so it only takes a fraction of a second. Be careful!
I guess we either have to avoid youtube or delete our history. :)

Last edited:

The Shepard

Can't wait to start playing this game! Awesome work on the OT. Gonna avoid reading anything to avoid spoilers for now. Be back to read peoples thoughts on the game after.

Dad of WAR

maxresdefault.jpg

Or the tale of running a full circle?

DarkSiders was viewed as an action adventure game like Zelda with God of War type combat. Now God of War doubles down on the adventure and RPG elements and ends up getting closer to Dark Siders >:-D

Btw, War is actually in the first game, went with Death cause i like the style in the picture better.

Last edited:
Why did they change his voice actor? He did a good job. The new stargate guy sounds like he is trying to gargle and talk at the same time. :(

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Awesome OT @ NovumAngel NovumAngel

"I WILL HAVE MY REV..MY..MY son with me this time"

Edit: Terrace Carson was the voice of Kratos, but it's Christopher Judge now. https://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11943752/god-of-war-kratos-new-voice-actor-stargate-teal-c

Avatars are up on PSN if you preordered the Digital Deluxe Edition. The theme still says two-to-three days. I'm guessing preload will either be late tonight or tomorrow (suppose to be the 18th).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/god-of-war-ps4-preload-unlock-time-1838076?amp=1&akamai-rum=off

Last edited:

dragos495

Awesome OT, the difficulties option screen was new for me, scared to choose the hardest one but want to enjoy an even longer experience with this game...

Valonquar

They changed voice actors because they needed the voice actor to also be the motion capture actor, and the original voice actor was too short to make it work.

Danjin44

They changed voice actors because they needed the voice actor to also be the motion capture actor, and the original voice actor was too short to make it work.
I also like new voice. it sounds much older than pervious games which make sense.

Is this real life? none of the digital PSN wallet codes available (thought these never ran out) nor God Of War physical copy on Amazon.com...I mean, goddamn.

sublimit

Banned
This will be the first GoW that I buy which is quite the achievement since I hated everything in the older ones ( I borrowed the first one from a friend and have watched some gameplay from 2 and 3.)

I'm not in a rush to play it though.

I typically wait for games to go on sale, but this game is making want to support the dev so hard. Gonna be an epic 4/20

This game has revitalized my love for the industry

Last edited:
I played all the main titles and though i love those games i thought it was time to let it rest or do something new.
I was very skeptic at first. Because i was afraid it would be too much like TLOU or UC4. You know, story over gameplay. Which is something i don't like.
But from all the videos i've been watching it seems to be balanced at least.

Gold_Loot

Kudos on the OT. this game looked great ever since the reveal. Now 2 years later, after the amazing reviews it’s getting, I’m starting to get that giddy feeling I rarely get as I age.

sadaiyappan

Maybe I will steal money from my mother and buy this. I didn't get a chance to finish 2 and 3 though I only got through 1.

Sygma

I've just reached the second realm and let me tell you, I'm totally going to buy a 4k hdr screen today because it has to seriously be fucking amazing. Possibly even better than Ratchet and Clank which already was stupid good looking

Fantastic thread NovumAngel NovumAngel ! Thank you for your effort. I'm excited to vicariously indulge and read everyone's experiences with the game. My gaming budget can only afford the new (unexpected) BC titles for the Xbone, so I've had to delay my purchase of GoW for a short while :/. It looks absolutely amazing. Could it be this gen's The Last of Us? Hopefully!

Ar¢tos

Is this real life? none of the digital PSN wallet codes available (thought these never ran out) nor God Of War physical copy on Amazon.com...I mean, goddamn.
I bought a 60$ cards there 5 days ago. All of them are "unavailable" now, i suspect it is because of whatever problem is happening between Sony and Amazon at the moment, not because they ran out.

You can try pcgamesupply , i have used them in the past. A tiny bit more expensive than amazon.

Last edited:

DonF

I wasn't going to buy this, but I got an email with a free blade of chaos keychain as a pre order incentive and i'm a pathetic person.

Pejo

Nice OP, not going to touch any of those videos though, going in blind. I'm still not 100% sold on the new combat, but we'll see how it goes on Friday. Either way, the spectacle of GoW sounds like it's still in, so I'm definitely looking forward to big bosses and cool shit happening.

ExpandKong

Banned
Nice OT, I was hoping for the Take Your Kid To Work Day title but good stuff.

Cautious optimism on this game, waiting to see what happens on Friday.

As a fellow Dad of War I am excited to jump into this game! I decided to take Friday off of work to to really enjoy this on launch day. I am really excited for the new combat myself as I felt the original formula was stale after GoW2. I have recently enjoyed Bloodborne and starting the souls series and was really happy that they modeled the combat in this one similarly.

#SIMFA

NovumAngel

Banned
Nice OT, I was hoping for the Take Your Kid To Work Day title but good stuff.

Cautious optimism on this game, waiting to see what happens on Friday.
There were a few good titles and I wasn't really sure which one to go for but when I started going through videos/summaries for the OT this one just felt right.

iorek21

Was spoiled earlier today on Facebook

At least I already predicted the event happening

I'm going completely dark on this one

CyberChulo

Humble brag? ;)

Based on what I have heard about the HDR in this game I would go with the 4k.

Lol. I guess you can look at it that way too! But I bought the projector setup when Uncharted 2 was announced. When I saw the trailer for that game I knew I had to build something big when that game came out. I guess it's been a tradition of mine to play good AAA games on the projector when they come out. But now with the glory of HDR, do I play with a greater color gamut first or get the big screen experience?

nowhat

Lol. I guess you can look at it that way too! But I bought the projector setup when Uncharted 2 was announced. When I saw the trailer for that game I knew I had to build something big when that game came out. I guess it's been a tradition of mine to play good AAA games on the projector when they come out. But now with the glory of HDR, do I play with a greater color gamut first or get the big screen experience?
HDR all the way. If the implementation is good it can be a game changer, much more so than 4K in my opinion. Then again, there are games where it seems it does very little or even makes the game look worse; but judging by the reviews/analysis this is one of the better ones.

I will be playing it on a 55" 1080p Roku TV and I will love it! The sad part is I have a pro (just recently decided to upgrade from launch ps4) but still haven't had a chance to experience 4k and HDR.

I believe it was the Digital Foundry video in the OP that talked about this game's HDR implementation being superb so I can't wait to check that out eventually. Based on that I would stick with the 4k.

Bryank75

Banned
Two 100 reviews added today, pushes GOW into the top 50 games ever on metacritic. Higher if you remove duplicates. Just above A Link to the Past and Majoras Mask.

Top Bottom