• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War |OT| Like Father, (Un)Like Son

Hotspurr

Banned
About 10-15 hours in now. Combat is nice, story is good, pacing is a bit slow. Lack of cool boss fights and pointless cinematic segments kinda take away from it. Its in the 8-9/10 range for me. Rise of the tomb raider as a 3rd person action game was better. GoW is a slightly better darskiders with high production values and refined combat system. GoW 3 made a bigger impression on me at the time. This game is a good blend of other successful games but doesn't do anything too new or crazy to make it memorable beyond the ridiculously nice graphics and high production values.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I missed out on doing side quests and went straight for the meat of the game. I'm loving the side locations. I have had a great time. I recommend doing side stuff. It's such an awesome game.

The runes are taking me ages to find, only got one left now though

hqdefault.jpg
Only if this is good clean fun we're having. :)

I was watching some guides on youtube. How to farm this. How to beat that. First step: Play on easy mode. Well, that didn't help.

I'd throw the axe if I ever got to the point where melee wasn't working. I'd also use the skills and boost Atreus arrow damage.

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

This video caught my attention on youtube, can't wait to unlock more stuff
GOD OF WAR TIME SKIP COMBO
The time skip is

talisman skill, trigger when u dodge enemy atk at the last second, just like Bayonetta's Witch time

Btw if you want to have the best experience in the combat, you should play in GMGOW mode. In this mode monster have devil trigger when their hp below 80%, just like DMC 3 DMD lul

DeadmanPhoenix

Neo Member
I'm not sure when I want to spend my materials. It's like I'm no upgrading at all because I want to use it on endgame gear, but I don't know what's the end game gear lol. I think my armor is trash now.
Yeah, I made a mistake of buying and maxing out Wolven Chest piece literally 5 minutes before the new armor set became available. I wish you could disassemble stuff in this game.

Ive played 2 hours since release.... damn work and football on the telly this week!

Hoping to play more Friday onwards as I've been avoiding spoilers all over the place!

v0mitg0d

So I'm having some fun making videos for this game. Yestreday I made one for one of the more challenging Nornir chests in the game (at least so far). It's the one in the Witch's Sanctuary where you need the Winds of Hel. If anyone needs help, here it is:

Plus that pesky, elusive (at least for me, I got stuck on something simple) Legendary chest in the Wtich's Cave:

Also, I have a playlist (most for Nornir and Legendary/coffin chests) over here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUeP4wqAXXLCYDjn5xaGKQJjBuS5mQ6aI

Go easy, I'm fairly new to this. :p

Ar¢tos

Just got the platinum trophy... I'm exhausted!
The fight with that certain tough enemy for the trophy is worse than any "souls" boss. I'm used to the slow speed of souls combat.
Now I'm going to complete the last goals and few missing things in the map.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just got the platinum trophy... I'm exhausted!
The fight with that certain tough enemy for the trophy is worse than any "souls" boss. I'm used to the slow speed of souls combat.
Now I'm going to complete the last goals and few missing things in the map.
HOLY CRAP!!! You guys either finish the game way too fast or I'm way too slow.
I just reached top of the mountain and cut of that guys head and I have to go back to witch's how to bring it back to life.

Keihart

The time skip is

talisman skill, trigger when u dodge enemy atk at the last second, just like Bayonetta's Witch time

Btw if you want to have the best experience in the combat, you should play in GMGOW mode. In this mode monster have devil trigger when their hp below 80%, just like DMC 3 DMD lul
Yeah, i am playing it on GMGOW mode and the devil trigger type stuff feels really essential to the combat system, had no idea that it wasn't on the other modes but i had a suspicion, i even asked before in the tread but got no response.

Ar¢tos

I just reached top of the mountain and cut of that guys head and I have to go back to witch's how to bring it back to life.
I've been playing 6-7 hours a day since the game released. I played slowly because I like to explore every corner. All I need to do now is a nornir chest and a realm tear in
Alfheim
to have 100% done of all realms. Can't be bothered to upgrade my mist armour to level 3, too much work for nothing since I have no boss left to kill. I'll do it if/when Dlc is confirmed.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Each time I mentioned that I finished the game to someone I know they immediately say, "wasn't that suppose to be a long game" or "already?".

I stayed home Friday and played for around 8 hours. Then each day after that I played continuously for a couple hours straight each time.

There's some pro's and cons to it. I got to play an awesome game, but I'm also realizing that I rushed the main story.

I thought about it for a while. Single player games shouldn't be a race to see who finishes it first. Of course it brings its own jealously if we see that our friends beat it and we want to know what happens in the end.

Yeah, it can be an awesome feeling to beat a game within the first week of its release. But I also see it as being questionable. The game will be worth picking up at Christmas this year and the months down the road. That's what all these 10/10 scores are saying right? Why worry about finishing it all in one go or spoiling it for yourself on YouTube or Twitch?

It probably goes back to that $30 game if you wait a month or two. I'm happy it scored real well. I actually don't see myself getting that excited about a game until E3 or the fall comes around. I preordered the SF collection, but that's a game I've owned for many years already.

Honestly this game could very well be GOTY. It's got Spider-Man and RDR2 in the fall in terms of taking that place. But seriously, those two games aren't even comparable.

Last edited:

Danjin44

@ Northeastmonk Northeastmonk : I'm personally no hurry to finish the game as fast as possible. I can only play 2-3 hours each day so it takes me some time to finish games but I don't mind. The great thing about single player games is that you can play it on your own pace.

Vtecomega

Banned
Is there any point in getting epic gear once you have completed the game? Aside from the Valkaries there are hardly any enemies left that are worth fighting once you have completed the game.

I have not finished the game yet and am close to end game I think. The only thing that I am not liking so far is unnecessary platforming and time wasting area blockers.

Many places Kratos just jumps down and catches Atreus but many other places for almost the same elevation he has to slowly climb down the wall with Atreus on his back. In some places these happen in succession that Kratos climbs down slowly and then after few steps jumps down for a similar height (I have one such in a recorded clip as well). The game has established that he is extremely strong then why not keep all climb down animation as a jump down. I understand that in few places you have to go down and then further left or right so its needed but not if the height is not great and all you have to do is get down. Climb up also I can understand that they might be loading the upper area while you climb but climb down area is already loaded anyway.

Many places you have the poison area blockers which made sense early on since you had to leave weapon and fight bare handed but later on they just became time wasters as you never are weaponless. Some of these areas are only available after you have multiple weapons so not like someone can go there early on. Other areas have you send Atreus go open a door or push the chain down with nothing worthwhile happening in between. They could have very well created encounters during some of these to force players to fight without Atreus support (or his comments about enemy attacks). Some of these feel like they were put in there for no reason.

Anyone else feel the same way I do about these?

RPGCrazied

What is up with these little patches? Seems like we had 4 or 5 of them so far. All under 100 meg. I think the game ran fine on launch day. Weird.

Bryank75

Banned
About 10-15 hours in now. Combat is nice, story is good, pacing is a bit slow. Lack of cool boss fights and pointless cinematic segments kinda take away from it. Its in the 8-9/10 range for me. Rise of the tomb raider as a 3rd person action game was better. GoW is a slightly better darskiders with high production values and refined combat system. GoW 3 made a bigger impression on me at the time. This game is a good blend of other successful games but doesn't do anything too new or crazy to make it memorable beyond the ridiculously nice graphics and high production values.

A quick glance at your post history is enough to invalidate your current opinion. You have been hating on the game well before release.... saying youll get it in a bargain bin and that it will have walking simulator sections etc. all that and then that Dante profile pic.

nowhat

What is up with these little patches? Seems like we had 4 or 5 of them so far. All under 100 meg. I think the game ran fine on launch day. Weird.
As I wrote elsewhere, given the "brevity" of patch notes, it just means that like PS4 the game will be stable as fuck soon if it isn't already :)

Ar¢tos

Nah, not for Sony 1st party.
I may or not have participated in closed betas for a couple of games, that may or not have been from a Sony 1st party studio (because NDAs), where the games were extremely polished and complete, but the games only released 6 months after.
They seem to have a fetish for perfection (regarding bugs /glitches), or they just want to shame Bugthesda.... (Skyrim ps3 anyone?)

partime

I held HARD MODE up to the part where you go back
down the mountain because of the impassable smoke
. Shit's getting too hard for me and after finding out there isn't a trophy for it I dropped down. I'll save the exhausted fights for finishing my playthrough of DS3 afterwards.

DonF

Finally finished the story, what a trip. Definitely GotY material. A complete package, awesome presentation, combat, story and content. Simply amazing.

Brizzo24

Still early in the game, and because customization is entirely new to the scene, I'm at a crossroads when it comes to selecting your upgrades...

8XMz5tb.jpg

Shifty

Sweet jesus these updates. Every time I start the game it's time to wait another 10 minutes for an install.

I adore the fact that the game is being supported so thoroughly but c'mon a man just wants to play his vidjagames.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Still early in the game, and because customization is entirely new to the scene, I'm at a crossroads when it comes to selecting your upgrades...
Neither, go full Runic + Cooldown. It will make bosses much easier (mainly the last boss you need for the platinum trophy).
---------
I just did the last 2 things I had to do and something pops saying 100% complete. I wonder why they didn't tie the platinum to a trophy of 100% completion.
I maxed all the armor pieces and with 12 enchantments (9 armor + 3 talisman) the max level I can reach is 9 (low 9).

Keihart

I wish this game got a cheesier soundtrack like revengance or bayonetta, the music gets kinda stale in battles....kinda like Kratos is all hype while fighting and the music is all ohm ohm...then again i understand that this was made by a big publisher and can't be all trashy and fun like platinum games in tone, but i can dream.

RULES OF NATURE♫!

A.Romero

I wish this game got a cheesier soundtrack like revengance or bayonetta, the music gets kinda stale in battles....kinda like Kratos is all hype while fighting and the music is all ohm ohm...then again i understand that this was made by a big publisher and can't be all trashy and fun like platinum games in tone, but i can dream.

RULES OF NATURE♫!
Why don't you use Spotify in the background?

Ar¢tos

Imagine Dark Souls with visuals like this game... Playing the remaster with those early ps3 graphics is going to be hard after playing GoW :(

RPGCrazied

Let me guess. Its under 100 megabytes? It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have to recopy the entire game for some reason. That takes time. And before someone says they're fixing bugs I say what bugs? I've played this game at launch and didn't see any.

Last edited:

Keihart

For the game to be getting so many hot fixes, maybe there is something seriously broken in it that not many people have found out? like a security bug of some sorts maybe? i mean, usually patches take a while to be made and certified on console, don't they?

Edit:
Why don't you use Spotify in the background?
I might do something like that on a second run or something, i want to experience the game with it's own ost the first time at least.

Last edited:

Keihart

Can anyone tell me how to disable aim assist? can't find the option and mostly gets in the way instead of helping.

Edit:nvm, found it. It's on camera options.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

I might actually try to platinum this. The hardest trophies for me is maxing out health and rage. Can never seen to find all those items in past God of Wars.

GenericUser

just finished the game on normal. This is a really good game, held back by modern day design philosophies.

I hate to say that, because I can see how much work they put into this game, but I had a better time ploughing through gow3.

The game kicks ass nonetheless.

iorek21

After beating the game and starting another playthrough, I’m really having mixed feelings towards the combat system...

It’s good, but not really that great...

Danjin44

After beating the game and starting another playthrough, I’m really having mixed feelings towards the combat system...

It’s good, but not really that great...
Really!!? I haven't finished the game yet but the further I go and the more moves I unlock, the better combat becomes for me.

Shifty

They added a roguelite component to this game, holy shit. I don't even like roguelike/lite/whatever as a genre but whoa. Super impressed, they really went all-in.
The last fight with Baldur. Fuck. That is some incredibly powerful writing. I could go off on this for paragraphs but, in short, the absolute disconnect between the two parent/child pairings of Kratos/Atreus and Freya/Baldur coupled with the supreme fucked-upness of Freya forcing Baldur to endure a life of unfeeling invulnerability is incredible. A genius take on the source myth in the context of the story. Wall of 10/10s justified, SSM really went all in on this game.

Last edited:

vpance

I have not finished the game yet and am close to end game I think. The only thing that I am not liking so far is unnecessary platforming and time wasting area blockers.

Anyone else feel the same way I do about these?

Sort of. But yeah it's like every couple steps is some sort of climbing sequence, door or switch or bridge thing. Not overly unenthused about the level design so far, which has been pretty corridor tunnel style. I am only about 12 hours in though. Just done the lake and the first two sub quest areas that branch off of it.

Last edited:

iorek21

Really!!? I haven't finished the game yet but the further I go and the more moves I unlock, the better combat becomes for me.

Yeah, in terms of moves, physics and weight it feels and plays nicely, but there are some technical things that end up prejudicing the overall flow of the combat...

Faster enemies like the dark elves and Valkyries make the lock on useless, as the system automatically unlocks itself for some reason; as if it weren't enough, the camera is so close to you that, if the lock on system doesn't work and the enemy end up getting behind you, you'll get hit

It's more like a technical problem then a enemy/moveset design problem; it could very well be patched one day... but who knows...

Also felt that there were some hitboxes problems, but well, every game could have these as well

Heal stones are kinda useless during combat

Not having even some invencibility seconds during special moves is also a problem...

Danjin44

@ iorek21 iorek21 : I never lock on if there is more than one enemies to fight and I personally like there is no invincibility when you use special moves because you could easily abuse that. With fast enemies, I personally don't chase them, I let them come to me. When the first time I saw the gameplay footages I thought the camera too close to Kratos gonna create huge problems in combat but I will be honest with you, so far I had zero issues with camera. Maybe that might change later on once I progress to story further but as of right now I no issue with camera.

Edit: I playing at "give me challenge" difficulty, so maybe the problems will come up when I start playing in "give me God of War" difficulty.

Last edited:

God Enel

Today I started playing finally. Played around 8-10 hours I think. I cleared (main quest)
"Anaheim 2nd world. Forgot the name already"]
and did a job for the
"Blue dwarf to get the ring of the alchemist"]

The first fight against
"The Stranger"]
was fucking badass.

Otherwise I've never seen so beautiful graphics and such a detailed character model like Kratos. This is some CGI level shit and puts U4 to shame imo. You clearly see that this is some top notch production value and it seems Sony can't do no wrong with this formulaic story driven approach. Dunno how to call it.

Btw. I fucking love the hold R2 and crush your enemies move. Feels so good to plow that axe into them. 10/10

Game overall I would give a 9/10. As I don't grasp the combat at all. Often times there are enemies behind me and I got hit. But most probably I just suck balls. :)

And there isn't a single cut during the game?

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Lord have mercy the
valkyrie queen
is hard, even on easy difficulty. lol
Yeah, that boss is like a souls boss on steroids. Increase runic and cooldown as much as you can and keep the boss in a stun lock loop with both weapons skills. When your Hp reaches half use rage to regen, and redo the wep skills until you die, use purple resurrection stone and rage and it should die with this second rage.

Shifty

Just finished the game. Bravo, more please.

Kind of restores my faith in AAA a bit. Where other titles sacrifice being a good game for the sake of production value, this one compromises on nothing while somehow maintaining that bar of quality.
Sure, there's a bit of homogeneity what with the loot, RPG elements, minor collectathon quests and what have you, but it's good enough as a whole that those things aren't a huge deal.

I wasn't expecting the final boss fight to have already happened by the time I hit Jotunheim, but I really like what they did with it in the end and in retrospect the Baldur fight with Freya trying to stop you using a reanimated giant corpse was suitably epic.

And that Thor tease at the end, oh yes. I was surprised that neither him nor Odin made an appearance throughout the main quest, but I like the way they didn't go straight for the jugular in terms of the god choices.

These are some long-ass credits though. I've had time to collect my thoughts, get a drink, write all of this drivel, and I'm only at the SIE Asia section. Send a search party if I don't show after a day or so.

Lord have mercy the
valkyrie queen
is hard, even on easy difficulty. lol
Brave. I wimped out and decided to go home and be a family man after beating
Kara and Gunnr
then getting my ass handed to me by
Geirdiful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom