• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War |OT| Like Father, (Un)Like Son

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I beat this today. Really good game. My only real gripe is I feel it needed 2-3 more large scale bosses.

GenericUser

Finished it, great game.

positive
- graphics
- combat
- world design ( and lore)
- Metroidvania elements

negative
- some annoying characters
mimir with his pseudo-funny jokes can die in a fire
- endboss was underwhelming as fuck
- some gameplay balacing issues
I finished the game with more then 100k exp points. There wasn't anything to spent them on - lol
- loading times can be tedious sometimes

A really solid 4/5 in my book. Even if this wasn't an exclusive, this game would still outshine many many other games on each platform.

I think I'll go for a second run on a harder difficulty. There wasn't much of an incentive to hunt all the secrects on normal, since I shredded through the game anyways.

I beat this today. Really good game. My only real gripe is I feel it needed 2-3 more large scale bosses.

this as well. But it's great anyways.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yeah, i was disappointed that we never got to fight
Thor
after killing
his sons

negative
- some annoying characters
mimir with his pseudo-funny jokes can die in a fire
What? Thats the best character hands down with all the lore information he gives.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally fought my first Valkyrie and she was tough and took me 2-3 tries to beat her but she never was frustrating, in fact it's actually pretty fun fight. Maybe the later Valkyries are going to be crazy difficult to beat.

Last edited:
Yeah, the lack of large scale bosses was kind of bummer. The one that's there looks super cool and was animated well, but the actual fight was unimpressive. There is also only
3 main story bosses that aren't reskinned/upgraded mini bosses. Dark Elf King gets reskinned, and you get to fight 2 of him at once towards the end. Then in hell the big boss gatekeeper is............yet another giant skin, but with a teleport and like 2 new moves......

Wall climbing also got tiring by the end of the game since there is nothing to it. Did we really need to dumb down hitting analog stick in a direction and hitting X to jump to the next ledge (and mashing X to speed climbing up in general), to look in a direction and press O?

I finally fought my first Valkyrie and she was tough and took me 2-3 tries to beat her but she never was frustrating, in fact it's actually pretty fun fight. Maybe the later Valkyries are going to be crazy difficult to beat.
The first one is just a training Valkyrie with there basic moves.

Last edited:

GenericUser

So I started my second run on hard (not gow-hard). It's insane how much details I missed and how little I explored in my first playthrough. This game has an insane scale. I somehow wish, they would make modern Final Fantasies in this fashion. The way the world is build, would be perfect for a Final Fantasy game imo.

Ar¢tos

Oh!!! I see. So the next Valkyries going to be the real deal.
The jump in difficulty from normal bosses to Valkyries is like 100%, 200-300% to the last Valkyrie that has 4x more HP and combines all the moves from the other ones. It was a shock to me how difficult the fight was compared with all other ones in the game, took me hours to get the strategy to beat her right.

INC

Last few hours completely ruined the game, to the point I thought....is that it?........what a giant waste of time?, I did all that , for that boring shit

Game felt unfinished to me at the end, almost like they cut the final boss or some shit, either way, most boring pointless ending in a game,

Ar¢tos

Last few hours completely ruined the game, to the point I thought....is that it?........what a giant waste of time?, I did all that , for that boring shit

Game felt unfinished to me at the end, almost like they cut the final boss or some shit, either way, most boring pointless ending in a game,
There are 2 stories happening at the same time, the game will only guide you through one, you need to find the other that is somehow bigger and more important.
There is a reason you keep playing after the "ending"!

Caio

I know it doesn't matter, but it's true that Meta dropped to 94 due to a troll review, like it happened for Uncharted4 ?

INC

There are 2 stories happening at the same time, the game will only guide you through one, you need to find the other that is somehow bigger and more important.
There is a reason you keep playing after the "ending"!

So there's more than just the 'go home' ending then? Coz if that's what you're referencin that's even worse tbh, here's the shit we promised you, now we're gonna take it away

Ar¢tos

I know it doesn't matter, but it's true that Meta dropped to 94 due to a troll review, like it happened for Uncharted4 ?

It dropped to 94 because of this review from yesterday: https://gamecritics.com/mike-suskie/god-of-war-2018-review/
Not sure if it a troll review or not, haven't read it yet.

So there's more than just the 'go home' ending then? Coz if that's what you're referencin that's even worse tbh, here's the shit we promised you, now we're gonna take it away
????????????????????????
There is the story of taking the ashes and the story of the corruption in the land that is raising the dead.
One is guided the other one is not so much guided, but easy to follow.
What did they promised you that was taken away?
I think they assumed players wouldn't need extensive hand holding through the whole game and would be able to follow the clues.

INC

It dropped to 94 because of this review from yesterday: https://gamecritics.com/mike-suskie/god-of-war-2018-review/
Not sure if it a troll review or not, haven't read it yet.

????????????????????????
There is the story of taking the ashes and the story of the corruption in the land that is raising the dead.
One is guided the other one is not so much guided, but easy to follow.
What did they promised you that was taken away?
I think they assumed players wouldn't need extensive hand holding through the whole game and would be able to follow the clues.

No faye fight
No thor
No odin

Last section doesn't even have a boss, just walking

And not guided? I have 0 quests left, nothing left to do

Last edited:

Darak

I just finished the game in GOW mode, which I wouldn't recommend even if you always play games on hard modes. Some of the changes introduced in this mode are welcome, but everything is a massive HP sponge, which makes the game tedious. Balance is also all over the place, as some mob encounters are harder than bosses and the difficulty is pretty inconsistent from encounter to encounter. TBH, combat definitively has issues, as some times damage is just unavoidable, and in this mode that means being stunlocked to death more often than not.

I enjoyed the experience, but I don't see this as a 10/10 game by any means. Pretty underwhelming bosses overall, and too much sequel bait in the main story. Still fun though, and a solid 9 IMHO.

Ar¢tos

No faye fight
No thor
No odin

Last section doesn't even have a boss, just walking

And not guided? I have 0 quests left, nothing left to do
ok... where did they promise Faye, Thor or Odin as bosses?
Where did they promise a boss on the last section?
You had expectations before the game came out, they were never promises made by the developer.
If you have no favors left then you already killed the last true boss of the game, ending the corruption (that isn't the story boss), or haven't trigerred that favor yet.

INC

ok... where did they promise Faye, Thor or Odin as bosses?
Where did they promise a boss on the last section?
You had expectations before the game came out, they were never promises made by the developer.
If you have no favors left then you already killed the last true boss of the game, ending the corruption (that isn't the story boss), or haven't trigerred that favor yet.

Well the world tree has all the other areas, so you assume oh ok, guess I'll be going there then for more boss fights, then you walk up some stairs and the game ends

Disappointing, it's just pure sequel bait,or dlc

Just expected more, and ending left a sour taste

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I wasn't a huge fan of the original games, but I enjoyed them enough to play through the trilogy (I never got around to the PSP games).

But, this one? Holy cow. I wasn't even that excited for it. I bought it simply because of the reviews fully expecting to call it another good, but overrated game.

No. This is probably my second favorite game of the generation after Bloodborne, and my favorite Sony first-party game yet.

The game exceeds on every scale. Combat, atmosphere, graphics, sound, pacing. After how GoW3 ended, I couldn't see the story continuing in any manner that could make me take it serious enough. But, it did.

And they did the impossible job of making Kratos a likeable character (for the first time), while convincing me this actually IS that same prick from the trilogy.

I'd score three games this generation a 10/10. This, Bloodborne and Rocket League (Mario Odyssey also come close).

Giant Robo

Neo Member

You left out an important detail regarding the difficulty you're playing there... :p

Keihart

The more i play , the more i think the only real bad thing about the game is the lack luster battle themes. Once you get used to enemies patterns it feels really bad ass to dodge without facing them. Now that i think about it a bit more i believe that part of the reason for the camera angle is how Atreus work, without that camera he would be tele-porting all over the place or team attacks would not work as frequently, you would see him tele-porting before climbing and so on.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
wow if you own an HDR oled tv.
this is THE game and ONLY game to really show how fucking great HDR is.

this game felt like a generation leap same as ps3 to ps4

wow if you own an HDR oled tv.
this is THE game and ONLY game to really show how fucking great HDR is.

this game felt like a generation leap same as ps3 to ps4

Say no more, bro fist. I'm goddamn speechless the whole time I'm playing this, when you reach 2nd part of the map with Avatar like forests theme..i was reaching passing out levels.

OLED Sammy 4k+HDR is breathtaking, shadows beaming through the cave cracks, sunshine shining through the fog, art design..etc.. Im telling you it's something else..In person it looks bananas. That's some next level folks.

Last edited:

dragos495

oled sammy, try qled, which is lcd but sold to people who confuse a q with an o. :)

with that said, if you liked it on an lcd, you should see it on an oled! my 65c6 was made for this game! :D

I finished the game with more then 100k exp points. There wasn't anything to spent them on - lol

riiight! trey finding all the runic attacks, light and heavy and upgrade to level 3 all of them. thats what i used my 600k xp at the "true" end of the game, 100% completition.

oled sammy, try qled, which is lcd but sold to people who confuse a q with an o. :)

with that said, if you liked it on an lcd, you should see it on an oled! my 65c6 was made for this game! :D

riiight! trey finding all the runic attacks, light and heavy and upgrade to level 3 all of them. thats what i used my 600k xp at the "true" end of the game, 100% completition.

Damnit I might've mistyped, but that's the model I've got 65" Class Q7F QLED 4K TV, did i get the wrong one?

To me everything running on this TV looks stunning .

GenericUser

Everyone who is familiar with action games and is planning to buy/play the game, I'll give you this advice: don't start on normal, play on "i want a challenge". Looking back, I should have started the game on this difficulty. Normal is way to forgiving and you have no incentive to learn all the moves and level up your gear. Missing that incentive lead me to ignoring most of the sidequests, because I thought "who cares".

Now playing on hard, I search every nook and cranny for chests and other upgrades. The battles are really demanding and you want to make sure that you take them with the best possible gear and at the highest level possible. Game is so much better now. Played almost 20h last weekend.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Everyone who is familiar with action games and is planning to buy/play the game, I'll give you this advice: don't start on normal, play on "i want a challenge". Looking back, I should have started the game on this difficulty. Normal is way to forgiving and you have no incentive to learn all the moves and level up your gear. Missing that incentive lead me to ignoring most of the sidequests, because I thought "who cares".

Now playing on hard, I search every nook and cranny for chests and other upgrades. The battles are really demanding and you want to make sure that you take them with the best possible gear and at the highest level possible. Game is so much better now. Played almost 20h last weekend.
Yeah, I makes me very glad I chose that difficulty from the beginning. The combat is great and playing in harder difficulty makes the combat shine even more.

edit: I finally beat my 2nd Valkyrie and she just loves to summons enemies. god damn, it was tough fight, I don't want to imagine how hard other Valkyries going to be.

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
Once the initial honeymoon phase has passed and replaying the game to completion, I have left my thoughts process and I have to say this game is a massive disappointment. It has a couple of highs but its mostly fighting generic lava and ice enemies. Poor enemy variety, terrible pacing at the last half of the game and loot is completely pointless once you have finished the main journey. Even the combat is missing something that I cant put my finger on, maybe If I was fighting more enemies that actually bled and had larger amount of blood splatter as a visual feedback I would find it more satisfying? I am riding around in a boat exploring these islands fighting the same boring enemies over and over and I was so bored out of my brain I put Bloodborne back on.

As probably the biggest god of war fan, this didnt really feel like a good god of war title, I will never again listen to the fucking journalist out there that wouldn't know good game design if it hit them smack in the head

This is in no way a 10/10 game, and I will forever stand by that.

p.s I wrote a in depth review in the spoiler thread.

Ar¢tos

Once the initial honeymoon phase has passed and replaying the game to completion, I have left my thoughts process and I have to say this game is a massive disappointment. It has a couple of highs but its mostly fighting generic lava and ice enemies. Poor enemy variety, terrible pacing at the last half of the game and loot is completely pointless once you have finished the main journey. Even the combat is missing something that I cant put my finger on, maybe If I was fighting more enemies that actually bled and had larger amount of blood splatter as a visual feedback I would find it more satisfying? I am riding around in a boat exploring these islands fighting the same boring enemies over and over and I was so bored out of my brain I put Bloodborne back on.

As probably the biggest god of war fan, this didnt really feel like a good god of war title, I will never again listen to the fucking journalist out there that wouldn't know good game design if it hit them smack in the head

Combat missing something? What more do you want from combat? It's already as simple or as complex as you want it to be!
I finished the game 100% a few days ago and I still play it everyday because the combat is so much fun! I have 2 mist armor sets maxed, going to start the third set today.
.... Modern gamers.... Never pleased, always something missing, always something too short or too long, too simple or too complex....
I miss the 90s...

Vtecomega

Banned
Combat missing something? What more do you want from combat? It's already as simple or as complex as you want it to be!
I finished the game 100% a few days ago and I still play it everyday because the combat is so much fun! I have 2 mist armor sets maxed, going to start the third set today.
.... Modern gamers.... Never pleased, always something missing, always something too short or too long, too simple or too complex....
I miss the 90s...

Maybe its because I am fighting generic lava and ice enemies? To give you some perspective, I have played bloodborne for for 2 years straight without getting bored in the slightest. Bloodborne enemy variety is a heck of a lot better and enemies actually have a satisfying blood splatter that never gets old.

Ar¢tos

Maybe its because I am fighting generic lava and ice enemies? To give you some perspective, I have played bloodborne for for 2 years straight without getting bored in the slightest. Bloodborne enemy variety is a heck of a lot better and enemies actually have a satisfying blood splatter that never gets old.
I see... You need blood to get excited... OK...............

Vitten

That pretty much goes for every good game and why I don't understand people who only play on the the easiest setting. Very Easy mode turns everything into this vanilla bland experience where you only get a hint of all the stuff that's possible and you really gimp the enjoyment you could get if you'd put in some effort.

GenericUser

I see... You need blood to get excited... OK...............
I think what Vitten tried to say way, that he dislikes the visual and audio feedback you get when you hit an enemy. I guess this boils down to personal preference. I played bloodborne and the feedback is really good. There is an enemy animation that plays when you hit the enemy, aswell as a visual bloodspray. That's cool, I like it. GoW solves this in a different way. The enemy freezes when you hit them and there is also audio feedback (this "umph" sound).
I actually like both ways I think, but I think I like bloodborne a little more.

All in all, I can see many valid criticisms regarding the game. The reason I'm still hooked is simple: I don't know any other game that provides souls-like combat (made well) in a semi-open world with metroidvania like mechanics. GoW imo simply has no contender in this "genre". Has the game flaws? Totally, and there are quite a few. Is it still blast to play? you bet!

And on a sidenote: I never trust modern "game journalists". Almost all of them are full of themselves and judge games in a way I can not relate to. So when they praised GoW as the second coming of jesus, I immediatly got very very coutious.
That pretty much goes for every good game and why I don't understand people who only play on the the easiest setting. Very Easy mode turns everything into this vanilla bland experience where you only get a hint of all the stuff that's possible and you really gimp the enjoyment you could get if you'd put in some effort.

I actually don't think so. There are plenty of games out there that I played on normal and where never felt unchallenged. I think they made normal a bit to easy to please the long time GoW fans. GoW always was quite easy on normal so that you could enjoy Kratos hacking ans slashing everything to pieces without worrying to much about dying.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
Close to the end now.

Pros:
- great graphics
- fun combat
- immersive
- great voice acting and production values
- good side content

Cons:
- too many walking/aimless sections
- story is very slow but eventually picks up
- bosses are a step down compared to Gow 3

This being a ps4 exclusive and reviewers being afraid of getting mobbed got it 10s, but while it's a great game, it doesn't bring much new to the table. Combat is more complex than GoW3 but not as fun. At least the two are comparable. Comparisons of GoW combat system to dmc or gaiden make me laugh. Also I can't see myself replaying it given how many unskippable "cinematic" sections there are. One thing really lacking is the boss quality. They are sparse and much less interesting than GoW3. Everything else is very well done and excellent. I'd give it a 8.5-9, this is coming from a huge hack and slash fan who was very skeptical.

Pejo

It's kinda crazy how wildly different the difficulty is for the Valkyrie fights. I beat 3-4 of them on my first try, but then 2 others took literally 15+ tries. Ah well, fun fights, even if some are easy.

Beat the game, loved it, but really missed fighting more bigger bosses. Can't wait for the sequels, and I'll gladly go back and 100% this after a short break. Need to get my DMC gear from Monster Hunter World, in the meantime.

Keihart

Mechanically the game is in no way lacking enemy variety, not only that but the way encounters are designed constantly ask you to learn new things, at least that is my experience in Give me God of War, i have no idea how much it is deluted in lowe difficulties.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had that moment where the Valkyrie fight is going well and then I mess up blocking an attack or hitting them out of attack and I die.

the light rings they shoot were frustrating because you can hit them out of the move, but they can also hit you if you roll the wrong way

Keihart

Made a highlight of the combat, mild spoilers only about combat and enemies maybe, there are no bosses in the video.

After unlocking the and upgrading the skills to enhance frost damage, the combat is really getting together, also Atreus is really useful on juggling enemies and interrupting enemies entering rage mode, he is like the ebony and ivory of this game.

Geki-D

Banned
Apparently Cory has 5 sequels planned out in his head:
https://kotaku.com/why-god-of-war-took-five-years-to-make-1825653009/amp?__twitter_impression=true
I read that he says that here, I haven't beaten the game yet and apparently that interview has spoilers so I haven't read it.

But yeah, 5 sequels "in his head". I mean David Jaffe had a whole plot for the original games planned out but they changed directors pretty quickly. Can we really expect Cory to hold on for 5 games? Says this one took 5 years to make. lol so 25 years later GoW 5? Man Cory's gonna be pretty old by then.

dragos495

lol, this one took 5 years coz it was the first one in this format. i predict a 2 year cycle, in 2020 we're gonna have god of war 2 as a ps5 exclusive.

ive listened to ALL interviews and read everything cory has said, hes not gonna admit it but god of war 2 is 50% done already.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Just started this on God of War difficulty. Who here has tips that will make my life easier?
I am at the part where you have to fight like 100000 Draugr and The Boy keeps waking up more, making life a living hell, in-game.

Keihart

Just started this on God of War difficulty. Who here has tips that will make my life easier?
I am at the part where you have to fight like 100000 Draugr and The Boy keeps waking up more, making life a living hell, in-game.
if it is the part i think it is, there is a cliff in one of the corners, try grouping weaker enemies there and throw them off the cliff.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just found out I can’t fully upgrade my weapons until I beat the main story, even though I have done the thing required to get the final item needed for the upgrades.

Fucking pathetic. I hate that shit.

Last edited:

NathanW18

Neo Member
Got my platinum and 100% completion yesterday. The game is amazing.

I guess my only gripe is being unable to replay the Valkyrie fights. I don't want to have to restart the game to do that. I should have made some manual saves.

Bryank75

Banned
You don't kill the entire pantheon on the first outing, anyone expecting Thor obviously only played GOW3. The series needs places to go, possibility for the future. Many gamers can't be happy with anything these days and end up sounding like petulant children. All I've seen is some people saying 'not enough big fights' or shallow criticism of combat... I am yet to hear anyone bring understanding or criticism to another level, how Mimir and Atreus are perfect foils and companions to Kratos each highlighting different faults and strengths in his character. How the lore builds naturally through the story, languages, runes, the terrible stories about Odin and how suspecious, skeptical, cunning and cruel he is, the different beings that inhabit each realm. The theme of family and what one might risk, endure or sacrifice for them. The contrast between Kratos and Atreus vs Baldr and his family (ahem). This also works at another level, looking back to Kratos and Zeus too.
If you can't see the thought , care and attention, as well as the incredible investment of time and money and respect at least the quality of this game then I really dispair for the future of gaming.

Shouta

I finished the game this weekend and it's a real treat. It definitely lives up to the attention it's been getting. There's a lot of care and thought they put into the design of the game that is kind of rare in games right now and it really helps elevate the title from a by the numbers adventure.

The first thing I really like is how they framed the story and used it to introduce the world to us. It kept the story largely personal to the characters but we got to know more about what's going on around them as they had to deal with the obstacles on their journey. Yeah, there's a certain lack of crazy boss fights and the obstacles are kind of conveniently placed at times but it really helped made the journey cohesive. Hearing your companions discuss the world of Norse mythology just made so much sense and worked with their characters and how they bounce off Kratos. It makes me really look forward to the later games because they've set such a good base to work with now.

Combat was amazing as well. It hits just the right spot between games like Bloodborne/Souls and Nioh where there's just enough variety in what you can do as the game goes on while focusing on differentiating encounters by the location, enemies, and their attack patterns you have to deal with. Even the reused enemies were made different with new attacks that really kept it fresh despite looking the same. The Runic attacks really helped too since you could change them up to help with your general style. I really hope they keep up this line of design and add new weapons and enemies to further fill the the game out.

I think my biggest complaint would be that the writing could be a little uneven at times but it's hard to tell if it's because it's the writing or if it's because they intended on it because it's Kratos.

Really looking forward to the next game whenever they have it ready. I might go back and play the other GoW games to get a better understanding of Kratos since I kind of only played them a bit and didn't really dig into the story for them.

Top Bottom