• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök – Hands-on gameplay report

Roberts

Looks pretty good! As long as it comes up with the story that's resonates the same way the previous one did (no big theatrics, just a small but effective story), it is all good.

angrod14

For Christ sake, people comparing this to Elden Ring.

Part of the charm of Souls games comes from their relatively low-key, unassuming, gritty and spartan presentation. They're not about dazzling you with elaborated and pompous visuals. They want to engage you with substantial stuff: incredible sense of achievement and discovery, unparalleled exploration, ultra deep and versatile gameplay. They take everything you're accustomed to when gaming and flip it around in the most creative ways. And all that being said, they still look phenomenal, ER not being an exception.

I'm not saying I'm not drawn to a tremendous looking game like GOW, but you've got to recognize that ER (and From games in general) are pushing artistic and mechanical boundaries (in terms of gameplay) that this guys wouldn't even dream of.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does it rub anyone else the wrong way when they say “more of the same thing?”. Like this isn’t the crowd stopper. It’s “oh if you played the first one, nothing really evolved”. God of War 2 was a great sequel. I’ve been there for all the GoW launches. I feel like the original game was the home run. Is this a home run or just a good hit? I have the CE preordered.

What I expected was someone starting off by saying something on the lines of, “never in my life have I played anything this good before”.

Last edited:
Does it rub anyone else the wrong way when they say “more of the same thing?”. Like this isn’t the crowd stopper. It’s “oh if you played the first one, nothing really evolved”. God of War 2 was a great sequel. I’ve been there for all the GoW launches. I feel like the original game was the home run. Is this a home run or just a good hit? I have the CE preordered.

What I expected was someone starting off by saying something on the lines of, “never in my life have I played anything this good before”.

A lot of people have been saying the latter though, it’s only in these type of places where everyone homes in on the two negative things said about the game.

God of War Ragnarok makes a wonderful impression from the very beginning then. There are literally more iconic moments in this game's first 60 minutes than most games get in their entire runtime, and really deserve to be experienced on the biggest screen you can possibly find.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/god-of-war-ragnarok-2/

Almost all the previews i read outside of the Washington post which wasn’t even really negative, have been soaring with praise. This is an easy GOTY title and its looking like its going to be a significant jump over the previous like GoW2 was

Last edited:
This actually excites me a bit

However, what I personally feel is the biggest improvement is the gore and dismemberment in Ragnarok. I felt that God of War 2018 made the idea of blood be a bit sacred, saving it for some key moments in the game. It made sense given that Kratos was trying to put his violent history behind him and raise his son, but I still missed it. Ragnarok see's a big return to carnage, as Kratos once again finds himself drenched in the blood of his enemies. ... And there are a large number of finishers you can pull off that all end in a pool of blood. It's not just from Kratos either, as Atreus will even do some tag team takedowns, gutting creatures alongside Kratos. Nothing screams more of a father and son activity than that.

https://mp1st.com/previews/god-of-war-ragnarok-hands-on-preview-valley-of-the-giants

giphy.gif

Bring on the gore and dismemberment

A great game is a great game regardless the platforms, the rest is just noise.

Lets Go GIF by Regal

Some play graphics, some play machines, some play games. 100% agreed.

OT: it's so hard to avoid reading everything related to this game. Even the last trailer felt very spoilery. Sounds like this game is more of the same but improved and I'm onboard for that! Let's hope we get some very epic set pieces and boss fights

What more can you really ask for from a direct sequel?

I blocked every word i could think of on twitter. Thats the problem with sony giving out codes so early to soo many people, now we gotta avoid spoilers for 2 and half weeks 😩

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm going to throw a fit if it's only 1080p ....considering this doesn't look much better than gow 2018 which runs at a very sharp looking res at 60 fps now
The first game runs at a locked 4kcb 60 fps on the PS5. This one should be similar.

lots of people in the thread arent too pleased by it. you're not alone. it's the second game of the reboot, they were never going to reinvent the franchise again just one game later. tying themselves to last gen kept them from giving this game a TLOU1 to TLOU2 leap we all wanted. Though they couldve still done U1 to U2 or HZD to HFW caliber leap, but the first game was as close to perfect as you can get so hard to top perfection. Maybe if they downgraded the base PS4 resolution to 900p or even 720p to get 50-100% more GPU power back that they couldve put into visuals like HFW did but doubt it wouldve changed gameplay or level design.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

never went on media blackout before but I'm probably going to have to with this.

People want to spoil this more than tlou2. I was on a reddit thread where people were PMing people they didn't know spoilers for HFW. You gotta be miserable to enjoy doing shit like that.

GoW is my most anticipated game in years. Can't even really put it in words. Just unsubbed GoW reddit sub and going to be careful everywhere I go.

Ragnorak is coming

never went on media blackout before but I'm probably going to have to with this.

People want to spoil this more than tlou2. I was on a reddit thread where people were PMing people they didn't know spoilers for HFW. You gotta be miserable to enjoy doing shit like that.

GoW is my most anticipated game in years. Can't even really put it in words. Just unsubbed GoW reddit sub and going to be careful everywhere I go.

Ragnorak is coming

Be careful clicking the trending hashtags on twitter also, people are posting full on end game spoilers out in the open right now.

The only other time I’ve had to go full blackout was TLOUP2. Misery loves company and i hope some of these peopel get caught and blacklisted from now on.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance

What more can you really ask for from a direct sequel?

I blocked every word i could think of on twitter. Thats the problem with sony giving out codes so early to soo many people, now we gotta avoid spoilers for 2 and half weeks 😩

"On performance mode with high frame rate enabled, we were able to play the game consistently between 80-90 frames per second, providing an incredibly smooth experience, and contributing to the sense that this game really is a technical leap from its original."

giphy.gif

The first game runs at a locked 4kcb 60 fps on the PS5. This one should be similar.

lots of people in the thread arent too pleased by it. you're not alone. it's the second game of the reboot, they were never going to reinvent the franchise again just one game later. tying themselves to last gen kept them from giving this game a TLOU1 to TLOU2 leap we all wanted. Though they couldve still done U1 to U2 or HZD to HFW caliber leap, but the first game was as close to perfect as you can get so hard to top perfection. Maybe if they downgraded the base PS4 resolution to 900p or even 720p to get 50-100% more GPU power back that they couldve put into visuals like HFW did but doubt it wouldve changed gameplay or level design.

Trying to make a more radical leap would have meant a much longer dev cycle.

Personally speaking the game looks good enough to me. It looks better than many next-gen only titles, just like HFW did. Sure, it could look better.

The game won't be judged on graphics, or even familiarity to the first game. It's all about whether the content that is there is compelling - better enemies, progression, combat, bosses, and set pieces. The big problem with HFW is that it sort of just didn't improve many aspects from the first game related to the gameplay itself - in some ways, worse. The progression/balancing was a bit off in HFW. The project was still quite good overall, but didn't seem like a massive leap other than visual improvements in certain areas. GoW has the potential to be a meaningful improvement if they pull it off right.

Yoboman

Personally speaking the game looks good enough to me. It looks better than many next-gen only titles, just like HFW did. Sure, it could look better.

The game won't be judged on graphics, or even familiarity to the first game. It's all about whether the content that is there is compelling - better enemies, progression, combat, bosses, and set pieces. The big problem with HFW is that it sort of just didn't improve many aspects from the first game related to the gameplay itself - in some ways, worse. The progression/balancing was a bit off in HFW. The project was still quite good overall, but didn't seem like a massive leap other than visual improvements in certain areas. GoW has the potential to be a meaningful improvement if they pull it off right.
Yup. More time rebooting the engine and graphics pipeline would be less time for new gameplay, enemy variety and locations to be made.

There are two reasons why not:

- It's more expensive to buy online (price has actually gone up around $10 USD since July and Amazon does maintain the price from when the preorder was made)
- My PSN account was created back during the PS3 launch and it's Canadian. Since then I relocated to Mexico and Sony doesn't allow me to use my Mexican credit card. There is a workaround for this but I try to avoid spending on the PSN because no region changing is bullshit haha
I know it'll be a bit more expensive, probably £/$/€10 more (give or take), so I get that part.

As far the other thing, i hear you - though you can make a current account and just use it to purchase the game.

You'll still be able to play it using your other main account, as all content is available to all accounts on on your system.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I’d rather wait another year or two and get a real next Gen game from Sony’s best studio than wait until 2027 to get their first next Gen game.

The GoW IP needs to be treated like a prestige IP and should’ve been given the next Gen treatment. The sequel already took longer to make than the original reboot which makes no sense whatsoever. Either the game was in development hell or Sony didn’t scale up the SSM team and split it to make Cory’s new IP which is MIA. Either way, gow deserves more than just more content, more bosses and better progression.

I’d rather wait another year or two and get a real next Gen game from Sony’s best studio than wait until 2027 to get their first next Gen game.

The GoW IP needs to be treated like a prestige IP and should’ve been given the next Gen treatment. The sequel already took longer to make than the original reboot which makes no sense whatsoever. Either the game was in development hell or Sony didn’t scale up the SSM team and split it to make Cory’s new IP which is MIA. Either way, gow deserves more than just more content, more bosses and better progression.

GoW looks better than SH2 remake

I’m getting whiplash by how square enix market their playstation games and how playstation markets their own games. I feel like I’ve been seeing this game and Forspoken forever already, im ready for these games to be out.

People are saying they’re not showing enough and i think they’re showing almost too much. Theres like 8 months at least until it releases still

We just got our copy from Sony. Super stoked to get into this - we will be also doing our preview here in a few days so stay tuned and of course full review on Novemeber 3rd ;)

@tommib GymWolf GymWolf @Maiden Voyage Hold on tight to your cocks and butts.
I’m not getting clarification on this so it would be appreciated if you can confirm. For the 40fps mode can it be uncapped to run at say 45fps like what ratchet and clank does when engaging vrr

GOD OF WAR RAGNAROK GRAPHIC MODES​

• Favour Resolution – 4K/30FPS Locked
  • Favour Performance – 60 FPS Locked
  • Favour Resolution (High Frame Rate On) – 4K/40FPS Locked (HDMI 2.1 required)
  • Favour Performance (High Frame Rate On) – Targeting 120 FPS (HDMI 2.1 required)

Unlocked 40fps when using vrr (so 45-55)

I’m not getting clarification on this so it would be appreciated if you can confirm. For the 40fps mode can it be uncapped to run at say 45fps like what ratchet and clank does when engaging vrr
I unfortunately haven't looked into any settings as far as visual fidelity yet. Just been playing the game and I don't believe I am allowed to say anything related to the game's content until the 3rd of November. Sorry.

Also, I wouldn't be the person to ask anyways, I don't know how vrr works and what it does. You are better of relying on a tech related channel.

Just being super transparent here.

I unfortunately haven't looked into any settings as far as visual fidelity yet. Just been playing the game and I don't believe I am allowed to say anything related to the game's content until the 3rd of November. Sorry.

Also, I wouldn't be the person to ask anyways, I don't know how vrr works and what it does. You are better of relying on a tech related channel.

Just being super transparent here.
No problem and I appreciate the quick response.

sounds like 4 modes on PS5

Resolution = 2160p 30 Hz
Performance = 2160p DRS 60 Hz

Resolution 120 Hz = 2160p 40 Hz
Performance 120 Hz = 2160p DRS unlocked VRR

The console outputs as 2160p 120 Hz, thus the 2.1 requirement.
Hopefully the 5th mode is 40 unlocked vrr

Fredrik

This actually excites me a bit

https://mp1st.com/previews/god-of-war-ragnarok-hands-on-preview-valley-of-the-giants

giphy.gif

Bring on the gore and dismemberment
Expected for this IP but in general the opposite excites me more. Gruesome violence don’t do anything for me anymore, I just see the downsides, it just further push console gaming out of my life since I struggle to find time to actually do it with kids getting older and staying up late but still not old enough to see dad chop heads in the living room.

GymWolf

Lol yea it does

SH2’s character models maybe, but everything else? No
Everything else what? You see almost nothing of the game and the textures are all high res and very detailed, even the insignificant cockroach at the beginning, and again, this is a fucking blooper game, the comparison should not even exist AT ALL.

Last edited:
Everything else what? You see almost nothing of the game and the textures are all high res and very detailed, even the insignificant cockroach at the beginning, and again, this is a fucking blooper game, the comparison should not even exist AT ALL.

The outside environments are nothing special and certainly look worse than GoW

It is claimed to be UE5 with nanite yet I see no micro detail at all

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
200.gif

Media blackout now for this. Looks stunning, and low and behold they got it running at 60fps. WB Montreal you scrub developer.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The outside environments are nothing special and certainly look worse than GoW

It is claimed to be UE5 with nanite yet I see no micro detail at all
It's a barren realistic city, you are not gonna see the amount of stuff on screen that you see here or in other ragnarock pics

FfmJLoJWAAAD1y8

but it doesn't mean that textures are less detailed., just look at the rocks on the left and in front of kratos in this pic, does that looks like incredible textures to you?

especially when horizon does this on a fucking open world? you can zoom on both and the result doens't change.
x8y8oo2mdsh81.jpg

sh2 looks pretty good to me

z2iy63g2luu91.jpg

u4lz04g2luu91.jpg

SLB1904

Banned
It's a barren realistic city, you are not gonna see the amount of stuff on screen that you see here or in other ragnarock pics

FfmJLoJWAAAD1y8

but it doesn't mean that textures are less detailed., just look at the rocks on the left and in front of kratos in this pic, does that looks like incredible textures to you?

especially when horizon does this on a fucking open world? you can zoom on both and the result doens't change.
x8y8oo2mdsh81.jpg

z2iy63g2luu91.jpg

u4lz04g2luu91.jpg
Bro that's a heavily compress pic, I can see the artifacts on my phone. Are new to this thing or what?

GymWolf

Bro that's a heavily compress pic, I can see the artifacts on my phone. Are new to this thing or what?
The pics for sh2 are 1080p, not 4k, so they are both compressed.

I just used a pic that someone posted in the topic to show the great graphic of ragnarock, i didn't checked the res, it's not like i searched for a bad screen on purpose.

i'm searching for 4k screens of ragnarock as we speak.

edit:

official 4k screens

God-of-War-Ragnarok_2021_09-09-21_002.jpg

God-of-War-Ragnarok_2021_09-09-21_003.jpg

Not sure about you, but for me rocks both from close or far away don't look too hot (since we are talking about rock details)

But these discussions are pretty mute, ragnarock is probably gonna look much better on our oled tv, but it is the same for sh2 remakem, no yt video or official screen can make justice when it comes to judgying micro-details.

Last edited:

FfmJLoJWAAAD1y8

x8y8oo2mdsh81.jpg

z2iy63g2luu91.jpg

u4lz04g2luu91.jpg

Atmosphere in Silent Hill is next level.

But i would be hard pressed to choose which look better.

They all look great. Especially cross gen titles hold up better on closer inspection of textures cause all budget goes into that.

GymWolf

Atmosphere in Silent Hill is next level.

But i would be hard pressed to choose which look better.

They all look great. Especially cross gen titles hold up better on closer inspection of textures cause all budget goes into that.
I think that in the end sh2 remake is gonna win in some graphical aspect, and gow in others.

SLB1904

Banned
The pics for sh2 are 1080p, not 4k, so they are both compressed.

I just used a pic that someone posted in the topic to show the great graphic of ragnarock, i didn't checked the res, it's not like i searched for a bad screen on purpose.

i'm searching for 4k screens of ragnarock as we speak.

edit:

official 4k screens

God-of-War-Ragnarok_2021_09-09-21_002.jpg

God-of-War-Ragnarok_2021_09-09-21_003.jpg

Not sure about you, but for me rocks both from close or far away don't look too hot (since we are talking about rock details)

But these discussions are pretty mute, ragnarock is probably gonna look much better on our oled tv, but it is the same for sh2 remakem, no yt video or official screen can make justice when it comes to judgying micro-details.
I'm just saying hold off a bit. Once we have the game I our hands don't forget there are 9 realms

Fredrik

I just hope there are no devs here actually reading these talks about tiny details only noticeable on uncompressed native 4K still pics and therefore choose to aim for 30fps.

GymWolf

I'm just saying hold off a bit. Once we have the game I our hands don't forget there are 9 realms
Yeah, like i said, the final judgement is reserved for when we are gonna have the game in our hands, we are just killing time here, 20 days are still a lot to wait :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

i hope there is a lot to explore in every realm and not another magma\fog world bullshit with only some challenges like in the first one.

I really don't understand how the campaign is only 20 hours with 2 games compressed into 1 and 9 realms...

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member

FfmJLoJWAAAD1y8

x8y8oo2mdsh81.jpg

z2iy63g2luu91.jpg

u4lz04g2luu91.jpg
Those SH pictures are not IG screenshots, just well done concept arts (the first one may be a cinematic capture, not real time). I don't see the point comparing these to actual IG screenshots of different games with totally different atmosphere, setting and goals.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I haven’t watched easy allies in a while but to nitpick, I thought their preview was weak. It lacked focus, an angle of any kind, and felt lazy in parts. Like, “oh yeah, I wrote down a few notes, there ya go.”

GymWolf

Those SH pictures are not IG screenshots, just well done concept arts (the first one may be a cinematic capture, not real time). I don't see the point comparing these to actual IG screenshots of different games with totally different atmosphere, setting and goals.
I didn't started the comparison, just chimed in.

But like we both said, the artstyle and locations are maybe too different for a good comparison, a city vs a fantasy location.

Last edited:
Top Bottom