• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Liked the game didn't love it. 8 out of 10.

Came here to bitch about doing the "Health Steal" Crucible trial and having one of the archers on the high-ground be glitched and unreachable by arrow or axe (too far back on the ledge and not visible) which meant Kratos bled out with 21 of 22 kills completed. GOTY more like GOBS

Amiga

Story is important to me but there is an excess of exposition in this game. Reminds me of Kojima at his worst.

Hillbillies as the Norse pantheon is the lamest depiction of the myths in what should be an epic scale story.

Some people can't cope with praise and leads them to hubris. Hubris has ruined many studios.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Liked the game didn't love it. 8 out of 10.

Came here to bitch about doing the "Health Steal" Crucible trial and having one of the archers on the high-ground be glitched and unreachable by arrow or axe (too far back on the ledge and not visible) which meant Kratos bled out with 21 of 22 kills completed. GOTY more like GOBS
Try using your new weapon and hold R1 to take them out in one hit.

It made killing odins Raven a breeze too.

SlimySnake

Getting to some meat and potato side content now with some good fights and decent Minnie bosses. Enjoying this so much more, but it's so erratic with its design.

I feel it doesn't have that clear, excellent story and driving factor of the first game at all. Just me and my boy on a journey to get to the top of this big hill and spread my wives ashes....this is all convoluted, all over the place and I don't feel like it really knows what it's doing with its vision...its just a load of ideas thrown together in a pot, stirred up with a god of war 2018 wrapper.

A lot to enjoy and a lot to question.

Trucking on and really deep in a good bit on a boss that's killed me a couple of times and about to go back in. Enjoying being me and the horse face lady companion.
The story feels slightly unfocused because of the focus on kratos’ reluctance on going to war. You are constantly being pulled in different directions all the while the game is stearing you in the direction of ragnorak. While thematically consistent since kratos is no longer the same bloodthirsty gow, it can become a little meandering with a bunch of missions with low level stakes.

It’s more of a slow burner which is probably a weird choice for a gow game let alone a game called ragnorak.

That said, i liked it. Its different and far more rewarding a story than gow3 left you feeling hollow after a 12 hour god killing rampage.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yep we can get stuffed like pigs in a blanket. I'm glad you understand.

So caramel sauce or chocolate sauce?

Me Voy A Punt GIF by À Punt Mèdia
Why not both bbe! x

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The story feels slightly unfocused because of the focus on kratos’ reluctance on going to war. You are constantly being pulled in different directions all the while the game is stearing you in the direction of ragnorak. While thematically consistent since kratos is no longer the same bloodthirsty gow, it can become a little meandering with a bunch of missions with low level stakes.

It’s more of a slow burner which is probably a weird choice for a gow game let alone a game called ragnorak.

That said, i liked it. Its different and far more rewarding a story than gow3 left you feeling hollow after a 12 hour god killing rampage.

And this is why I really want to stick with it. I am loving my time as Kratos Im more or less maxxed out in combat for the two main weapons and when I'm with Freya its so cool. then I get yanked out for some story bit with Atreus and it just spoils my enjoyment.

I love the side content and when I'm just plodding me along and have no interest in the story at all, so I am hoping the slow methodical approach just clicks at some point for me (becuase I can enjoy that and I am completely open to it in this game im just finding it getting away with my enjoyment by dragging me to other characters)

Still very much enjoying the game overall just not a fan of the pacing and switching characters....for me. I'm just not a fan of Atreus's combat. its pretty poo. Focus on stun, and im R3 ing my way to cvictory with constant round house kicks and underbaked combat. Just give me my Kratos, I am happy with his reduced rage...we all get older and look through life with a different lens. Just let me be him :D

Last edited:
Shame that like last game, all armour design are quite boring and none of them make Kratos look cool. Most of them make him look like a dwarf.

Why no cool cloaks, mythical armours and whatever. Elden Ring does this so much bettter.
lol - Glad they didn't do the stuff you want.

This isn't Elden Ring or a RPG. Its an action adventure.
No need to spend menpower/development time on completly different armor designs.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
lol - Glad they didn't do the stuff you want.

This isn't Elden Ring or a RPG. Its an action adventure.
No need to spend menpower/development time on completly different armor designs.
Except its is, in this you can literally be underleved for some fights. old games were action games but for newer games they did turn it in to RPG but not as deep as other proper RPGs out there.

Except its is, in this you can literally be underleved for some fights. old games were action games but for newer games they did turn it in to RPG but not as deep as other proper RPGs out there.
Sorry its not.
Nowadays there are RPG Elements in nearly all games.
That doesn't make those games RPGs.

Last edited:

SCB3

Ok, I have to say this, Vanahiem is god damn awful to travel around, trying to get to the Berseker in the North Crater area just sucks

MagnesD3

Ok, I have to say this, Vanahiem is god damn awful to travel around, trying to get to the Berseker in the North Crater area just sucks
Agreed especially at night, I literally got stuck in the abandoned village post game because it was difficult to see any sort of contextual clue as how to get out.

MagnesD3

I'm losing my mind, but how do you get here!

FimHLcrWAAUogOg
to the North East area
If your talking about the remnants of asgard theres a seed you get from Ratotosker post game that gives you a gate to that area and they force you to backtrack that area like crazy, after I did that I proceeded to get lost for 30 minutes due to what I said above, couldnt see shit.

SCB3

If your talking about the remnants of asgard theres a seed you get from Ratotosker post game that gives you a gate to that area and they force you to backtrack that area like crazy, after I did that I proceeded to get lost for 30 minutes due to what I said above, couldnt see shit.
I'm trying to get to the Berseker and the Dragon lair in the Crater

jakinov

Just got platinum. Gameplay wise it's ok, it's kind of disappointing, I remember feeling that the puzzles were really creative in 2018 version but this time around I found many annoying or to be there just to waste time. Combat felt the same and the levels espcailly Vanaheim felt poorly designed where they make you jump through a bunch of hoops to get to the other side of the river. The platforming in the game isn't particularly fun, it's just finding white or blue marks a lot of the time and pretty slow compared to the originals; so if the game is making you do a bunch of it while breaking the immersion of the level it's extra crappy.

Story wise, as someone who played God of War grrowing up and enjoyed the epic, cool and action packed story - story was too artsy fartsy for me for this franchise. I still enjoyed it but I don't play games for that kind of story, I watch TV for that. and IMO if that's the kind of story you want to tell, there's better mediums than a video game. There's a lot of walking slowly moments, moments where you are just doing random shit like collecting food for animals for character development or super slow walks. A lot of parts of the game could have just been full-on cutscenes instead of being intereactive. I felt like some of the stuff that got you excited from the last game for the sequel dind't lead up to anything that exciting. For example, Freya being mad ended up resolving itself pretty quickly. Atreus being called Loki as well didn't really end up adding much to the story, could have easily just removed that part and there'd be minimal diffenrece to the story. Lastly, you killed a bunch of Thor's kids and apart from a few mentions of it, that ended up making minimal impact on the story, Thor can't do anything about it, Odin is pretty passive most the story, Thor's daughter doens't care and Sif is mean to you a bit but does a 180 at the last minute. They did a good job at the cinematics with the music and "camera" work.

Overall it was really enjoyable game. I just had higher expectations in the gameplay department and personally thought the story was disappointing.

SCB3

I'm trying to get to the Berseker and the Dragon lair in the Crater
Ok, so it seems I need to open up the Dam and get water to this area, so thanks Game for fuckign telling me instead of me stumbling on this dam through a weird ununsual backway in the Vanahiem desert

MagnesD3

Just got platinum. Gameplay wise it's ok, it's kind of disappointing, I remember feeling that the puzzles were really creative in 2018 version but this time around I found many annoying or to be there just to waste time. Combat felt the same and the levels espcailly Vanaheim felt poorly designed where they make you jump through a bunch of hoops to get to the other side of the river. The platforming in the game isn't particularly fun, it's just finding white or blue marks a lot of the time and pretty slow compared to the originals; so if the game is making you do a bunch of it while breaking the immersion of the level it's extra crappy.

Story wise, as someone who played God of War grrowing up and enjoyed the epic, cool and action packed story - story was too artsy fartsy for me for this franchise. I still enjoyed it but I don't play games for that kind of story, I watch TV for that. and IMO if that's the kind of story you want to tell, there's better mediums than a video game. There's a lot of walking slowly moments, moments where you are just doing random shit like collecting food for animals for character development or super slow walks. A lot of parts of the game could have just been full-on cutscenes instead of being intereactive. I felt like some of the stuff that got you excited from the last game for the sequel dind't lead up to anything that exciting. For example, Freya being mad ended up resolving itself pretty quickly. Atreus being called Loki as well didn't really end up adding much to the story, could have easily just removed that part and there'd be minimal diffenrece to the story. Lastly, you killed a bunch of Thor's kids and apart from a few mentions of it, that ended up making minimal impact on the story, Thor can't do anything about it, Odin is pretty passive most the story, Thor's daughter doens't care and Sif is mean to you a bit but does a 180 at the last minute. They did a good job at the cinematics with the music and "camera" work.

Overall it was really enjoyable game. I just had higher expectations in the gameplay department and personally thought the story was disappointing.
Dont forget they still havent explained who blew the horn in the first game and the huge tease about the egypt, and japan realms from Tyrs secret stuff. The main interesting mystery, the mask, just gets last jedied out because its easier to throw it away than to create something compelling.

SCB3

You need to unlock the water in that area, night time gets rid of the red plants that block you.
Yea I finished that Side Quest and now have a jungle to explore, there is a lot of Side Questing in Vanahiem, Svavelfhiem was nothing compared to this

Dont forget they still havent explained who blew the horn in the first game and the huge tease about the egypt, and japan realms from Tyrs secret stuff. The main interesting mystery, the mask, just gets last jedied out because its easier to throw it away than to create something compelling.
I think that's the entire point of the mask. That's when Atreus broke the prophecy for good.

Just finished the game. This was amazing. That last scene was so well done!

Can't wait to do everything and 100% the game. Is there any post-game scene like the Thor scene?

I think that's the entire point of the mask. That's when Atreus broke the prophecy for good.

Just finished the game. This was amazing. That last scene was so well done!

Can't wait to do everything and 100% the game. Is there any post-game scene like the Thor scene?

It is a cop out. It is no different than Last Jedi in that sense. They didn't want to be bothered to create an actual interesting mystery and have it play out, so they throw it away at the very last minute.

Post-game there ARE some unique bosses and lore bits that are super cool. Go to Niflheim and explore the fallen Prison. That is all I will say.

Last edited:
It is a cop out. It is no different than Last Jedi in that sense. They didn't want to be bothered to create an actual interesting mystery and have it play out, so they throw it away at the very last minute.

Post-game there ARE some unique bosses and lore bits that are super cool. Go to Niflheim and explore the fallen Prison. That is all I will say.
Thanks! I'll do that!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
why does the crater feel so much better than the rest of the game? It feels like this was the template for what the game should have been.
There are a bunch of directions you can do without having to squeeze through something. Dragons flying into battle is really cool.
It feels like the game finally opens up a bit.
It’s too little, too late though. I’ve had some fun but I’m not invested enough to finish. The pacing has thrown off the momentum and I’m just over it.

But my takeaway is that the crater is an anomaly in the game and I’m curious as to why.

K' Dash

why does the crater feel so much better than the rest of the game? It feels like this was the template for what the game should have been.
There are a bunch of directions you can do without having to squeeze through something. Dragons flying into battle is really cool.
It’s too little, too late though. I’ve had some fun but I’m not invested enough to finish. The pacing has thrown off the momentum and I’m just over it.

But my takeaway is that the crater is an anomaly in the game and I’m curious as to why.

it reminds me a lot to FFXIII once you get to Grand Pulse, lol... people told you to play to get there cause the game opens up, but it was 30 hours to get there.

I'm trying to find motivation to get the remaining berserkers or do any of the end game stuff, the game is not fun at all to explore and the backtracking sucks dick.

Elden Ring is my personal favorite of the year - but GOW: Ragnarok has surprised me and is certainly a worthy opponent to it.

It has some pacing issues (especially early on) and the menu system kinda sucks and there’s minor nitpicks I have about the story beats, camera and climbing - but all of that is nothing compared to the amount of value you get for the money - it is pretty rare these days. And it runs well, looks beautiful, and is incredibly polished.

I do not see how you can hate on the game as a whole. It’s blockbustery and cinematic heavy - but it puts A LOT of effort into the main story, the acting is great, it’s emotional and and it feels appropriately epic. For a video game it’s near the top of the pile narratively. The crater - imo is amazing to explore. The others are great too but the crater on another level. The combat and controls feel great and fun. As much story stuff as there may be there is much more actual great gameplay. I can’t imagine how much work went into making this game but it really paid off. Way better experience for me than 2018.

To me this game is the epitome of what Sony does best. We should be so lucky to get more like it in the future

Last edited:

SCB3

Vanahiem just sucks, I have 2 Quests left here but in the Jungle area and I cannot find a way to get to a Ogre rocking fucking boulders at me to progress past him

Kindela

Banned
Is that the one in the Crater area? If so, you need to release the dam, and then explore a bit with the boat. One of the paths will lead you towards a small dock where you can reach the Ogre from.

SCB3

Is that the one in the Crater area? If so, you need to release the dam, and then explore a bit with the boat. One of the paths will lead you towards a small dock where you can reach the Ogre from.
Yea I found him, but the backtracking ruins this a lot,

Anyway, onto the Berserker king

tommib

I finished it last night.
Good game but I think I prefer the previous game to this one.

I really disliked the dialogue in Ragnarok. It was so bad at times right at the end of the game that I had to mute the game as it was giving me that embarassing cringe feeling. It seems to me it's written for Marvel fans.
The dialogue is World of Warcraft movie quality. Terrible. It became worse and worse the closer you get to the end.

tommib

Because it’s self-contained and concentrated with not a lot of dialogue. Cool quests, cool dragons, and you’re constantly unwrapping the level which gives you that constant a-ha feeling. It reminded me a bit of old Tomb Raiders. It’s a very cool playground with no narrative distractions.

SlimySnake

In an interview with IGN, the director said that the crater was an experimental side project that they didnt think they would ever ship with the game. It had a small team working on it knowing full well it wont make it. It just happened that it came together surprisingly well and they were able to finish it on time. im guessing the delay from 2021 helped. It might have been DLC.

And yes, it is by FAR the best level in the game. It is the blueprint of what the entire game shouldve been instead of an island hopping adventure in Vanaheim, and Svhartelheim. Even Midgard and Alfheim feel like they are literred with small outposts rather than anything organic that we see here. It is truly a masterpiece is gaming design. The plains reminded me of Uncharted Lost legacy which I really like, but GOW takes it to another level by making it feel lived in with its daynight eco system and enemies, and side missions that open up in a very dynamic/organic fashion.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Ending Story spoilers

A lot of the creative decisions made felt hamfisted because of their need to make Freya an NPC which itself was needed because they needed Loki to be in Asgard. You are right. Sif, Thors daughter simply dont care and only Thor seems to be upset about it from time to time. And why? All so you can have some shitty linear as fuck Atreus sections? Or to setup Odin's motivations? Either way both feel half baked. Odin comes across as one dimensional and Atreus' gameplay sections are simply not fun even with Thor fucking shit up. Maybe they shouldve let us play as Thor if they wanted us to get a sneak peak inside Asgard.

Brock2621

Finished over the weekend and wooooowwwwwyyy what a ride. Such a rare game that only comes along every few years. I was absolutely enthralled with everything and cannot get over the beautiful art direction and touching story moments. I think between this and Elden, I'll probably go back to this one more often so it edges out ahead in my humble opinion. Kudos to Santa Monica!

zkorejo

They talked about it at length in IGN spoilercast. It feels so different because it was added very late to the game as a side project a few people were working on based on the request of creative director (not Cory Barlog, the other friendly looking guy).

SlimySnake

Beat the game again on No Mercy. Only missing a few lore items but otherwise did all the side quests and bosses again. Much easier this time. Even the BS multi beserkers. Gna was still tough but again very doable. A couple of tips to help everyone with the end game bosses.

Perks:
Stone of Souls - You get this from awakening all the trolls with the relic. Heals you with each hit after you consume a health stone. Really good for boss fights.
Greater Regenerating Health - I pair it with the other regenerating health but im not sure if they stack up. Still very helpful against bosses.
Create of Desperate Heroics - This will let you survive a deathblow.
There are several perks that give you 20 STR, VIT, Defense, Cooldown etc for finishing up all the side quests in each realm. 20 VIT is important because it helps you hit 170 needed for Greater Regen. You can find it in Nilfheim post game.

Armor:
Sutr's armor is built around STR, Defense and Vitality and reduces damage taken during your attacks by upto 40%. That makes this tanky STR focused build even more tanky. For those Sutr boss challenges I just stand there taking hits while killing them in mere seconds. Doesnt work with beserkers but it lets you take well over 5-7 hits instead of the 2 hits it took me in my first run.

Lunda's Chest Armor. This gives you poison build up every time you block, parry or attack with fists. I didnt see it proc enough in my fight just by blocking but if you see it go up to half just by blocking then just punch her twice and it will proc lowering her health bar to green letting you do more damage. Your companion also has a Poison runic summon that should give you at least 2 more poison procs.

Strategy:
Gna will give you two openings when she does her stone attack and her fire attack. You have to switch arrows to take her down, and that will leave her stunned or burning while also open to a square attack from your companion. Thats half a health bar every time plus whatever damage you end up doing.

Pro tip: This might not work on beserkers and Gna but holding R2 while using the spear imbues the spear with whatever elemental damage the enemy is doing. You can have your spear do some insane damage to the enemies. Whenever i see those bifrost dudes, i know its going to be a quick fight because bifrost just melts their health bars.

After some thought I think Atreus's journey should be a Frozen Wilds style 5-8 hour DLC instead of a stand alone game we'll get it a lot quicker, man I've felt so empty since finishing up the platinum last week lol I'm not motivated to play anything else hopefully the next two weeks can fly by so I can play the Witcher 3 upgrade.

Beat the game again on No Mercy. Only missing a few lore items but otherwise did all the side quests and bosses again. Much easier this time. Even the BS multi beserkers. Gna was still tough but again very doable. A couple of tips to help everyone with the end game bosses.

Perks:
Stone of Souls - You get this from awakening all the trolls with the relic. Heals you with each hit after you consume a health stone. Really good for boss fights.
Greater Regenerating Health - I pair it with the other regenerating health but im not sure if they stack up. Still very helpful against bosses.
Create of Desperate Heroics - This will let you survive a deathblow.
There are several perks that give you 20 STR, VIT, Defense, Cooldown etc for finishing up all the side quests in each realm. 20 VIT is important because it helps you hit 170 needed for Greater Regen. You can find it in Nilfheim post game.

Armor:
Sutr's armor is built around STR, Defense and Vitality and reduces damage taken during your attacks by upto 40%. That makes this tanky STR focused build even more tanky. For those Sutr boss challenges I just stand there taking hits while killing them in mere seconds. Doesnt work with beserkers but it lets you take well over 5-7 hits instead of the 2 hits it took me in my first run.

Lunda's Chest Armor. This gives you poison build up every time you block, parry or attack with fists. I didnt see it proc enough in my fight just by blocking but if you see it go up to half just by blocking then just punch her twice and it will proc lowering her health bar to green letting you do more damage. Your companion also has a Poison runic summon that should give you at least 2 more poison procs.

Strategy:
Gna will give you two openings when she does her stone attack and her fire attack. You have to switch arrows to take her down, and that will leave her stunned or burning while also open to a square attack from your companion. Thats half a health bar every time plus whatever damage you end up doing.

Pro tip: This might not work on beserkers and Gna but holding R2 while using the spear imbues the spear with whatever elemental damage the enemy is doing. You can have your spear do some insane damage to the enemies. Whenever i see those bifrost dudes, i know its going to be a quick fight because bifrost just melts their health bars.

What do you mean by “proc”?

Also why do you need to switch arrows on Gna? I never know what arrows to use so I just spam them, generally Hex

SlimySnake

What do you mean by “proc”?

Also why do you need to switch arrows on Gna? I never know what arrows to use so I just spam them, generally Hex
Proc is a Destiny term lol. I just mean the poison effect to fully apply lowering her health bar from Yellow to Green at level 9. She will be covered in green poison goo. This will make her one level below yours and allow you to do more damage.

The green arrows apply stun to enemies which fills up their stun bars. If you fill it enough, the smaller enemies will let you grab them and kill them in one hit by pressing R3. But for bosses, it triggers a big explosion which causes one healthbar worth of damage.

The purple arrows trigger explosions to burning, poisoned, or frozen enemies. Again, you have to fill up the bars to proc the effect but once they have the fire or ice effect applied on their armor, you can spam sigil arrows and it will trigger an explosion.

There are a couple of enhancments that let you do more damage to enemies that are hit by purple arrows until the purple hex effect fully fills up/effect procs.

As for Gna, when she is about to throw a stone at you, you have to use stun arrows on her. That will stun her for a few seconds. A square button will appear over Freya if you have that skill unlocked, and she will do massive damage. And because shes stunned you can go in and do a lot of damage to her while shes stunned.

When she does her burning attack, Freya will yell use sigil arrows. Thats when you use the purple arrows and it will trigger an explosion that will leave her burning and another square button will appear over freya. I used to dread those attacks but they ended up being easy damage opportunities. Switch to your axe to do a lot of damage to her while shes burning.

Top Bottom