• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

What's weird is the way it ended, he has like no reason to leave. Which is why I think it will be something like: Mimir: "Kratos there is trouble in my homeland. Come with me?" Proceeds to kill Celtic gods.
mmgyjxr3zht01.png

Im guessing its going to be one of these other places. Loki is supposedly going away to find more giants so maybe he will travel to other realms to find them. As for Sindri he's definitely messed up after Broks death. If we do see him again I believe he's going to try something dangerous to bring Brok back. But maybe something that can only be done in those other places.

It's definitely a mystery where the franchise will go after Ragnarok.

dDoc

Question

Why did Freyr have to die? Portal was open all they needed to do was jump in.

Also am I the only one that feels the Asgard final level was too small with very little to do/combat in?

Boneless

Really not liking the as the new weapon. The way it was introduced was not spectacular and the way it handled isn't great. It does in no way compare to getting the blades of chaos in 2018.

Big missed opportunity by not introducing something epic like blade of olympus, cutting enemies into bits.

Boneless

What the fuck, was reading where to find all berserkers only to find out some can only be accessed after finishing the game... What the hell is the point of that. Oh here is this really cool item you can get by killing all berserkers, but why bother because you've already finished the game so you can't really use it for anything.

2018 had none of this bullshit and all valks could be done before finishing the story.

Certinty

What’s the difficulty of the hardest optional bosses on this compared to the Queen Valkyrie on the last game? If it’s just as hard I might give those a miss, that took a good while.

What the fuck, was reading where to find all berserkers only to find out some can only be accessed after finishing the game... What the hell is the point of that. Oh here is this really cool item you can get by killing all berserkers, but why bother because you've already finished the game so you can't really use it for anything.

2018 had none of this bullshit and all valks could be done before finishing the story.

You don't have to beat the game to defeat all the berserkers. Although you do have to get really far to do that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pfew, thanks, guess the guide was wrong.
No, the guide is right. You cant fight the beserker king before you beat all the other beserkers and the last beserker cant be fought until after you beat the game.

It is definitely a big issue with the game primarily because of the lack of NG+. By the time you get the best gear, the game is almost over and there is nothing to use the best gear on other than some musphelheim challenges. At least the first game had Niflheim challenges to complement the musphelheim trials.

I've beaten the game three times now. I had some amazing builds that I figured id use once on GMGOW+ but because the best gear is given by beserkers who are impossible to fight until level 8 anyway and by then you've done all the content other than the final couple of bosses.

No, the guide is right. You cant fight the beserker king before you beat all the other beserkers and the last beserker cant be fought until after you beat the game.

It is definitely a big issue with the game primarily because of the lack of NG+. By the time you get the best gear, the game is almost over and there is nothing to use the best gear on other than some musphelheim challenges. At least the first game had Niflheim challenges to complement the musphelheim trials.

I've beaten the game three times now. I had some amazing builds that I figured id use once on GMGOW+ but because the best gear is given by beserkers who are impossible to fight until level 8 anyway and by then you've done all the content other than the final couple of bosses.

I definitely did beat the Berserker King before finishing the game.

Or is there an after game Berserker boss that I'm not aware of?

Mobilemofo

I'm playing on 'give me balance', and around 5 hours in. Taken 30 odd photos so far. 😄 Crop, upscale, recolour, ad detail.

It's fantastic. Every minute is worth it.

SlimySnake

I'm pretty sure I beat the Berserker King before beating the game.

We are talking about Hrolf Kraki as being the last one correct?
i dont know who that is. The final beserker is in midgard. he does not unlock until after the niflheim beserker and that area is inaccessible until after you beat the campaign.

i dont know who that is. The final beserker is in midgard. he does not unlock until after the niflheim beserker and that area is inaccessible until after you beat the campaign.
The first gravestone that you find with the hilt?

Yes i managed to beat that before completing the game.

Hrolf_1.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The first gravestone that you find with the hilt?

Yes i managed to beat that before completing the game.

Hrolf_1.jpg
You could not have. The gravestone you need in Niflheim does not unlock until you beat the game and get the seeds for the new areas with Kratos from Ratatoskr. You may be misremembering.

SlimySnake

OK. Well sorry but you are wrong. Ive beaten the game three times and seen dozens of guides. They all say the final two beserkers can only be accessed after finishing the main story because Niflheim literally doesnt unlock until after beating the main campaign. Ratastaskor literally gives you the key to the final Niflheim area after you beat the story as a reward. Once you kill the Niflheim beserker, the king beserker unlocks in Midgard.

Skjothendi the Unerring is one of the twelve Berserkers you can fight as an optional boss in God of War Ragnarok. Located in Niflheim, this Berserker is the only one that you cannot challenge until after completing the Main Story and embarking upon Post Game exploration .

Getting To The Niflheim Berserker Grave (Mist Fields) In God Of War: Ragnarok​

In order to get to the Mist Fields and the Niflheim Berserker Grave you first need to complete the main story or The Path. After that you can head over to Sindri’s House and talk to Ratatoskr. He will give you some Yggdrasil Seeds which unlock Mystic Gateways including the one on the Mist Fields.

Where to Find Berserker Skjorthendi The Unerring​

You won’t be able to access Skjorthendi’s gravestone until you finish the main story. This is because it’s in the Mist Fields in Niflheim which you can’t get to until the post-game

You could not have. The gravestone you need in Niflheim does not unlock until you beat the game and get the seeds for the new areas with Kratos from Ratatoskr. You may be misremembering.

Ok that makes sense. I was getting confused for a moment there.

My bad then.

Last edited:
OK. Well sorry but you are wrong. Ive beaten the game three times and seen dozens of guides. They all say the final two beserkers can only be accessed after finishing the main story because Niflheim literally doesnt unlock until after beating the main campaign. Ratastaskor literally gives you the key to the final Niflheim area after you beat the story as a reward. Once you kill the Niflheim beserker, the king beserker unlocks in Midgard.

[/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL]

Well I'm not going to kill myself over it. I made a mistake and that's fine. No big deal.

🤷‍♂️

Plus the platinum wasn't difficult to get so while it's annoying it isn't game breaking.

Last edited:

Certinty

Took me a while to finish but I can’t say I understand all the rave reviews.

It’s a good game but nothing more in my eyes. The first half of the game is slow and boring and whilst the second half is a lot better and is somewhat interesting story wise, the ending payoff is lacking in both scale and narrative.

I don’t think I’ll bother with the remaining side content I have left. With the last game everything felt fresh so I more or less enjoyed getting the platinum but with this given how similar it is, I feel I’ve had my fix.

Fredrik

Took me a while to finish but I can’t say I understand all the rave reviews.

It’s a good game but nothing more in my eyes. The first half of the game is slow and boring and whilst the second half is a lot better and is somewhat interesting story wise, the ending payoff is lacking in both scale and narrative.

I don’t think I’ll bother with the remaining side content I have left. With the last game everything felt fresh so I more or less enjoyed getting the platinum but with this given how similar it is, I feel I’ve had my fix.
Finished it last night.

I agree on lots of things you say.

In summary I liked the story-telling, it surprised me, great character development. Character design was good too, Thor was awesome, Sif was hot, and the visuals in some areas are seriously top of the industry visually, I took so many screenshots. I liked some bosses too. And the spear was fun and in general I liked the combat and the choices. I even put in a vote for best action game in the GAF GOTY.

But I really disliked the hand-holding, for me it severely damaged the game for me. Puzzle hints after like 5 seconds, arrows pointing at ledges, icons showing where I need to go. There is so little real exploration left that I got bored and played other games for awhile. The unbalanced pacing got annoying too, there is far too many slow-fast-slow-fast sections because of the staged combat areas connected to slow linear climbing and crawling etc.

All in all I still understand the high scores since I know people like great stories. But for me personally it’s a game I enjoyed for one play-through but won’t play again.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I picked it up again, got the last weapon but now I'm back to Atreus and I just have no desire to continue. The pacing and switching between characters is so frustrating.

Last edited:

xBlueStonex

After finally beating Ragnarok, I went ahead and played through GOW 2018 for a third time to confirm my feelings. Whereas 2018 to me is still a 10/10 masterpiece, Ragnarok is probably a 7 at best.

The writing was just a huge stepdown this time around. The main plot - while more ambitious - feels incredibly disjointed and inorganic. You go from place to place with little sense of purpose, you'll get to the "thing" the plot wants you to, and then you wind up back at Sindri's house for a cutscene. Repeat ad nauseam. The dialogue is also rougher this time around, with many lines seeming like they could belong on a daytime soap opera. To that point, the copious amounts of family drama across all the characters also felt like a huge step back compared to the tight focus that was on Kratos/Atreus in the original. By the time we got to Thrud's mommy/daddy issues, I literally felt nothing for any of the characters anymore, and was hoping the game would just end. And boy, was that ending terrible.

GOW 2018 was lightning in a bottle. The same can't be said for Ragnarok.

Last edited:

sainraja

I just finished Ragnarok. I liked it.

I have mostly completed all the side quests/favors before getting to the end. The combat is the highlight for me but I enjoyed the story too. This is the first game I took my time through but it is a long game anyway. My total playtime is 48:52:26.....so yeah I enjoyed it. I will have to go back and do the same for the first. I didn't beat GOW 2018 until 12/18/2020 even though I got it at launch so it took me a bit to fully embrace the new games. I blame it on stuff going on in life and was mostly playing Destiny 2 casually then....

Last edited:

thefool

So, i finished the whole thing, i now have a cool build, let me try new game+...it doesn't exist?
I really enjoyed the Berserkers fights, lemme try them again to get better at this, maybe in an harder difficulty....its not possible?

what-michael-scott.gif

Why go through the trouble of maxing stuff if you can't properly use it after? What am i missing?

I enjoyed the post-stuff more than the main story tbh. Didn't enjoy eventually having to look at a guide to find a couple of items I missed but whatever.

Last edited:
So, i finished the whole thing, i now have a cool build, let me try new game+...it doesn't exist?
I really enjoyed the Berserkers fights, lemme try them again to get better at this, maybe in an harder difficulty....its not possible?

what-michael-scott.gif

Why go through the trouble of maxing stuff if you can't properly use it after? What am i missing?

I enjoyed the post-stuff more than the main story tbh. Didn't enjoy eventually having to look at a guide to find a couple of items I missed but whatever.
Yeah it really needed a new game + at least it's coming I guess..

Ar¢tos

I remember the last Valkyrie being a pain in 2018 but I managed to kill her by keeping her stunned 90% of the time. Are the berserkers annoying like that, requiring cheap tricks to kill them? Or are they proper fights?

thefool

I remember the last Valkyrie being a pain in 2018 but I managed to kill her by keeping her stunned 90% of the time. Are the berserkers annoying like that, requiring cheap tricks to kill them? Or are they proper fights?

I found them easier than the last valkirye from gow. Its a matter of learning their patterns, their move sets are kinda limited.

Last edited:

Boneless

Finished. Solid 8/10. Overall, they played it way too safe with this one for my taste, but I can't blame them with the success and solid foundations of the last. Some real touching father son moments.

Some annoyances:
- A lot gameplay delay built in. You want to throw your spear in here? Oh but you need to find a different angle. Thats not a puzzle, thats just delay.
- New skills are lackluster, new weapon is boring, hardly any significant new gameplay mechanics. How about we get some real cool stuff, get me back Kratos wings.
- Important bosses/items locked behind finishing the story, at which point getting the items is pointless as there is nothing to use them on.
- Ugly armours make Kratos look like an angry dwarf.
- End game was good but final fight a bit weak. Overall I much prefer Greek over North mythology.

Certinty

The more I think about the last hour of the game the more I realise this might honestly have the most disappointing and unfulfilling ending of any game I’ve ever played both in terms of scale and story.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Almost have the plat...i hope before the next game Kratos gets treatment for his COPD or whatever it is that makes him pant so loud whenever he does pretty much anything

Pelta88

I know that my pics wont do the thread justice and for some this might seem like an odd thread bump. But this was an experience I didn't want to end. To the point I took the longest route possible to get the Platinum.

lUno5mp.jpg

Also this is my favourite pic. Taken by accident when I hit the share button instead of options.

ZzqbouW.jpg

Easily one of the best crafted single player, narrative driven games, ever. I had an absolute blast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom