• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarök reportedly delayed to 2023

The only reason I could see this happening is not because it isn't ready, it's because right now they don't benefit from another big game this year. Unless PS5 suddenly catches up with demand this year sometime (it won't) they can't sell any more consoles even if it releases. They have Forspoken for the holidays. Xbox will have a lot of stuff next year so why not put this up there to keep the hype on your platform.

sony have their own sales projections that have nothing to do with what Microsoft or Nintendo are doing.

first party releases are already factored into those projections, they don't just hold off on releasing games because nintendo delayed BoTW2, or Microsoft delayed Starfield. Sonys job is to increase profits not coast along with whatever their competition is doing at the moment.

Last edited:

fermcr

Ehhh I work in the game industry my guy and have never heard of seen such a thing. But sure whatever you say.

Maybe in 1 to 2 months I can see it but no one is gonna hold a game back for 6 months or more.

Finished products can be hold from release for months or even years.... movies, music, games, etc... until they feel it's the right time for release.
This so called God of War delay is only a rumor... but, If the game is already done, and Sony feels they don't need to release it this year, don't you think they can delay it for next year if they want to?
Honestly, I don't much believe in this rumor. Think God of War will release this year.

BTW, in what capacity do you work in the gaming industry? Developer? AAA or indie?

It’s pretty obvious, if you releasing a trailer and showing nothing then good chances are it’s not releasing same year.
It was pretty obviously a TEASER trailer, which often don't show footage. Even if footage was shown, it still would have been delayed, remember, injuries. Was this a problem for you since the reveal by the way? I hope these conflicting reports aren't putting you on edge.

Kagey K

Banned
Finished products can be hold from release for months or even years.... movies, music, games, etc... until they feel it's the right time for release.
This so called God of War delay is only a rumor... but, If the game is already done, and Sony feels they don't need to release it this year, don't you think they can delay it for next year if they want to?
Honestly, I don't much believe in this rumor. Think God of War will release this year.

BTW, in what capacity do you work in the gaming industry? Developer? AAA or indie?
Except a dev lierally says that's not the case.
Im gonna ask for it lmao

Welp:

4z6RNGs.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Was this a problem for you since the reveal by the way? I hope these conflicting reports aren't putting you on edge.
I’m looking forward to the game since I enjoyed GOW series but releasing this year or gets delayed I’m fine either way, in fact I don't mind it gets delayed because I have way too many games coming out.

I’m looking forward to the game since I enjoyed GOW series but releasing this year or gets delayed I’m fine either way, in fact I don't mind it gets delayed because I have way too many games coming out.
nXnguXO.gif

I just find the it was never planned for 2021. Was it pie in the sky? Possibly, but a bold face lie? To what end?

Strategize

Elden Ring might actually break the record for most GOTYs, absoutely zero competition lol.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
sony have their own sales projections that have nothing to do with what Microsoft or Nintendo are doing.

first party releases are already factored into those projections, they don't just hold off on releasing games because nintendo delayed BoTW2, or Microsoft delayed Starfield. Sonys job is to increase profits not coast along with whatever their competition is doing at the moment.
To a certain extent them and MS are in direct competition and if they could sell more hardware as a result I'm sure they would (and they still probably will) but strategically I think having more big games when you'll probably need them more results in more profits in the end

After thinking about it, on paper we have a sound Sony strategy for the end of the year:
* Tlou1 remake in September
* Forspoken in October
* GoW Ragnarok in Nov

It would mimic this early year release of Uncharted Collection ( Jan), Horizon FW ( Feb) and Gran Turismo 7 ( March).

To a certain extent them and MS are in direct competition and if they could sell more hardware as a result I'm sure they would (and they still probably will) but strategically I think having more big games when you'll probably need them more results in more profits in the end

Which is why god of war ragnarok isn’t their final game.

They literally have spider-man 2 slated for next year, and who knows what else

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Why release anything at that point. PS5’s themselves are gonna sell as much as they put out. They can’t survive off just selling consoles and a few pc ports a year
Well they'll already have stray that should carry software sales for the foreseeable future.

But seriously they'll have horizon and GT selling still this holiday and last of us remake and factions possibly and Forspoken is console exclusive

Hezekiah

Banned
If we're being fair, we should probably have 6 weeks of threads about how Sony project management is incompetent, just like that Starfield delay lol. And this game has ALREADY been delayed if I remember correctly. I've lost count.
Incompetent = Horizon, GT7, MLB, apparently GoW Ragnorak, and possibly TLOU remake 😅

Over the past generation that's better than most companies best year.

Outlier

Why can't devs/publishers just shut up about release dates, until all that's left to do if optimization and bug fixing? Can't they keep their thirsty shareholders under control? /s

Always assumed this was a 2023 title. Games should be given as much time to cook as they need rather than rushed to market creating an inferior experience.

Always assumed this was a 2023 title. Games should be given as much time to cook as they need rather than rushed to market creating an inferior experience.

What makes you think they’re rushing it? There is literally no evidence that states its ‘coming in hot’, theres crunch, or that there is any real problems with it. If the game were truly coming out in september or october sony wouldn’t have been marketing it until now anyway

Rift Apart didn’t start getting marketing until April, the week of Returnals release, and it came out in June. Same with Horizon, it. Got the state of play and went silent until late november of last year and released February

Sony is on an average 3 month marketing cycle for their big games

Last edited:

Lupin25

COVID-19 lockdowns (20, 21, 22… you might as well say…)
& Kratos’ voice actor Christopher Judge and his injury at the time were the main factors behind the delays.

Sometimes there are variables out of your control.

So I can’t say God of War Ragnarök is an exemplar of bloated AAA development periods.

Based off evidence we can claim sequels should have at least a 2-4 year development period…
But it’s hard to always say “what” games are good or bad examples. Some developers have simply doomed the scope of their games from the jump.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
What makes you think they’re rushing it? There is literally no evidence that states its ‘coming in hot’, theres crunch, or that there is any real problems with it. If the game were truly coming out in september or october sony wouldn’t have been marketing it until now anyway

Rift Apart didn’t start getting marketing until April, the week of Returnals release, and it came out in June. Same with Horizon, it. Got the state of play and went silent until late november of last year and released February

Sony is on an average 3 month marketing cycle for their big games
Yea I don't understand where some are getting the notion that GOWR is being rushed to meet a 2022 release.
Santa Monica Studio were initially targeting 2021, which was overzealous of them, but it still indicated a lot of confidence with progress being made in development.
Sony's 1st party teams generally seem to be very well managed, despite juggling multiple AAA projects at a time, and that's despite the disruption caused by covid over the last couple of years.

Dlacy13g

If that was the plan, it's a terrible plan, PS5 already had GT7 and Horizon this year. To me an unrealistic date only causes frustration.
A couple of things: 1) GT7 and Horizon this year haven't exactly stemmed the tide for Sony in terms of Xbox being competative so I don't think you can say "thats enough for this year". They are good games don't get me wrong but from a numbers point of view I am sure Sony wants to have games in the pipeline that give consumers pause on buying the competition and holding out for their console. 2) I think there is still a possibility the game comes in 2022 this is a rumor after all and likely Sony is trying to hold out on making that call on the chance it does make 2022. I don't think anyone can say it was an "unrealistic date" given they never actually gave a date beyond saying it was now going to come in 2022 which I am sure felt realistic to the team when they delayed it the first time.

Last edited:
A couple of things: 1) GT7 and Horizon this year haven't exactly stemmed the tide for Sony in terms of Xbox being competative so I don't think you can say "thats enough for this year". They are good games don't get me wrong but from a numbers point of view I am sure Sony wants to have games in the pipeline that give consumers pause on buying the competition and holding out for their console. 2) I think there is still a possibility the game comes in 2022 this is a rumor after all and likely Sony is trying to hold out on making that call on the chance it does make 2022. I don't think anyone can say it was an "unrealistic date" given they never actually gave a date beyond saying it was now going to come in 2022 which I am sure felt realistic to the team when they delayed it the first time.
Well, they originally said 2021, that was the big fuck up. I don't think the 2022 date will be missed on purpose if it happens, I think they believed they were going to release in 2022 but the original 2021 date puts them in a bad position as multiple delays are never a good look.

Anyway, PS5 is sold out, Sony had a good output of games in 2020 and 2021, GT7 and Horizon were both critical and commercial successes, Elden Ring sold great on their platforms, they still have Forspoken this year... there was no pressure to lie but it looks likes Jimbo couldn't resist again (just like he couldn't resist trying to hide the fact that many of their big games were crossgen).

As always with Sony the core of the problem is a complete lack of proper communication. If the game was ever at risk of missing 2022 they should've come forward and let people know, simple as that. TLoU Faction is another example of bad communication, they cut the multiplayer from TLoU2 then say pretty much nothing for 2 years about what is going on... what is the point?

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
If we're being fair, we should probably have 6 weeks of threads about how Sony project management is incompetent, just like that Starfield delay lol. And this game has ALREADY been delayed if I remember correctly. I've lost count.
What a trash take. Starfield and Redfall are not even MS games, they bought them in March 2021 and blocked their releases on PS after years of development compared with GOW (and all Sony games) that Sony develops from the ground up since Day 0. Every year is still filled with games. So incompetent 🙄

What was MS big plan for this year if not for Bethesda? They got them after the console was already out 😅

Last edited:
What a trash take. Starfield and Redfall are not even MS games, they bought them in March 2021 and blocked their releases on PS after years of development compared with GOW (and all Sony games) that Sony developes from the ground up since Day 0. Every year is filled with their games. So incompetent 🙄

What was MS big plan if not for Bethesda? They got them after the console was already out 😅
Uhhhhh.... lol?

Then why does Deathloop not come out on Xbox and 1st came out on PS along with Ghostwire Tokyo? Doesn't that means Sony blocked those games for an entire year despite Microsoft owning the company? Simply because Sony already had contracts signed. Don't think you understand how any of this works billy.

Lognor

Banned
Fine by me. Gotta dig through that backlog anyway.

they never announced a release date and this is not official. I’d wait for the official release date before outraging and even then… who cares?
Look at this post. Holy shit. You were just calling me names for saying the game would be delayed and now you're saying fine by me. Jesus.

But I TOLD YOU SO!!!! Never doubt me. Ever

PlayStation could have had 50 AAA exclusives. They wouldn't have sold any more or fewer PS5s.

Now, if both consoles had unlimited supply, then we would know how Sony having several first-party exclusives in 2022 and Xbox having zero (at least so far this year or currently announced) would have effected console sales. Sadly, that's not the world we live in at the moment, with the chip shortages.

Last edited:

Jerm411

Starfield will have been in development for at least EIGHT YEARS by the time it releases….do we wanna list all the games Sony has released in that time span…?

Incompetence? Yeah let’s not go there lol…..

Last edited:

zkorejo

I don't understand why they feel the need to get overexcited and announce games that are like 7 years away from actual release.

Just keep it hush like fromsoft and release the same year as it's announced.

These delays end up killing so much hype for these games and they don't even realize it.

sachos

I don't understand why they feel the need to get overexcited and announce games that are like 7 years away from actual release.

These delays end up killing so much hype for these games and they don't even realize it.
Didnt FromSoft announce Elden Ring in 2019?

Elden Ring was announced in 2019 and released in 2022. I don’t belive those are the same year.

God of War Ragnarok was revealed late 2020 and will likely release in 2022. But, if it gets delayed to 2023, I don't think that's 7 years. I'd have to get my calculator.

If you are interested in what I am doing then feel free to DM. I am not gonna be derailing the thread here.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sony continuing their grand tradition of lying about release dates and windows to drum up hype I see. Everyone does it, microsoft too with that embarrassing starfield stunt

Top Bottom