• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

What score do you predict God of War Ragnarök will receive?

• 0-10%

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 20-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • 95%-99%

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • 100%

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Media giving scores to games I get, most of the times they write long reviews nobody reads and so they need to distill their thoughts into a number that is easier for consumption.

But there’s something particularly funny about the majority of posters who enter a thread about a game and write half a dozen words before rushing into what they really want to do, give a game a score completely out of context.

One two three four five six I give the game a 7.65! IMO

“I’m 3 hours into the game so far and im definitely feeling like this is more of a 7”

gow3isben

Last of Us sure but how the hell is God of War Ragnarok woke in the slightest? The main 2 leads are 2 white males and they overshadow everyone. The most powerful and competent antagonists are also white men. Besides Freya the women like Angrboda and Sif and Thrud are background characters who don't do jack besides letting the men make all the decisions.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Last of Us sure but how the hell is God of War Ragnarok woke in the slightest? The main 2 leads are 2 white males and they overshadow everyone. The most powerful and competent antagonists are also white men. Besides Freya the women like Angrboda and Sif and Thrud are background characters who don't do jack besides letting the men make all the decisions.
There are things I didn't liked about story but none of them has anything to do with being "woke" or not, I dont know where hell people getting that from, or I might entirely lost meaning behind that word.

Last edited:
My score for GOW 2018 Boy Edition for new parents
start game - 9/10
mid game - 8/10
end game - 9/10
total - 9/10

GOW Ragnarok Everyone will Walk, Talk, but mostly Talk Edition
start - 9/10
mid - 7/10
end - 8//10
total - 8/10

MagnesD3

The collectibles are pretty riddled with it and the exploration banter sometimes, there are definitely moments in the story that make me wanna roll my eyes a bit Freya noose scene was kindasuspicious.

There's literally an item that call out people who are in the middle when it comes to war promoting tribalism.

Last edited:

Valt7786

The collectibles are pretty riddled with it and the exploration banter sometimes, there are definitely moments in the story that make me wanna roll my eyes a bit Freya noose scene was kindasuspicious.

There's literally an item that call out people who are in the middle when it comes to war promoting tribalism.

Dont forget the gay dwarves sidequest, the dialog surrounding that can get a bit eyerolly.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This game man, every time I just start to love it. It Slaps me in the face. Just let me do side content as kratos and fuck the rest of it off.

Ballshite.

If this game has a major issue, it's the constant desire to move the story away from Kratos, and onto Atreus.

No.

That's not why we play these games. We're here for the big bald Greek, and his story arc from monster to hero.

One huge misstep with the plot is that they
completely gloss over Kratos's past. What better way to break a prophecy than to have a character who comes from outside it all? I was convinced that was what they were going to do with the prophecy of Ragnarok in this game, but ultimately, Kratos is just there to guide Atreus's decision making. He plays second fiddle, and that's why the ending is a bit of a letdown.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

If this game has a major issue, it's the constant desire to move the story away from Kratos, and onto Atreus.

No.

That's not why we play these games. We're here for the big bald Greek, and his story arc from monster to hero.

completely gloss over Kratos's past. What better way to break a prophecy than to have a character who comes from outside it all? I was convinced that was what they were going to do with the prophecy of Ragnarok in this game, but ultimately, Kratos is just there to guide Atreus's decision making. He plays second fiddle, and that's why the ending is a bit of a letdown.
Yeah I'm worried for the franchises future, they Clearly arent gonna let old Kratos flare up anymore which is a shame, I hope a new pantheon can force the issue that way they can use "current societal morality standards" to justify Kratos getting to do cool stuff again since it's to protect his people as a leader or something.

I'm afraid at times the creators forget this is supposed to be a fun awesome video game where you fight badass gods and get their weapons/abilities, it should come first not the narrative..

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah I'm worried for the franchises future, they Cleary arent gonna let old Kratos flare up anymore which is a shame, I hope a new pantheon can force the issue that way they can use "current societal morality standards" to justify Kratos getting to do cool stuff again since it's to protect his people as a leader or something.

It never works when you try to move a franchise away from the main protagonist. I couldn't give a fuck about Atreus and his quest
for the giants, other than as a way to facilitate Kratos's motivations.

MagnesD3

It never works when you try to move a franchise away from the main protagonist. I couldn't give a fuck about Atreus and his quest
for the giants, other than as a way to facilitate Kratos's motivations.
Yeah I'm not interested in a teenagers story tbh, I would have rather seen that dynamic put to the background in this one, the only way I could end up liking him is if he were a skilled adult but how things are currently he just makes the game less interesting and held Kratos hostage by being there.

(I want more rage in him, more flaws besides being an idiot)

Last edited:
I have a weird system for how I personally give games reviews, I try not to play bad games in general so if I thought it was worth playing I will probably give it somewhere between 9-10.

9.0 Barely Good
9.1 Pretty Good
9.2 Solid
9.3 Good
9.4 Very Good
9.5 Great
9.6 Excellent
9.7-9.8 Incredible to Masterpiece range
9.9 Basically Perfect
10 I never give this lol

Lower than this I don't recommend the game.
It's too risky, but I have a friend who like crappy games with bad controls. So for this friend I'd go down to 5 or 6 and he may still be happy because he likes to see the shapes move on the screen.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

No.

You have just nailed it. Its exactly my issue.

I start falling in love with it ...I'm kratos...levelling up...doing side content and unlocking skills...just falling in love like 2018 abd then I'm ripped out of it and forced to play as this whiny kid who's shouting stuff like " you're just helping me warm up" while fighting....and worse of all he's hitting enemies with his bow like ....wtf...I get the arenas are small but if you can't do bow combat properly just stop!

Why were they so obsessed to do a cinematic story game....where I'm forced to play as another character.

This is not god of war.

MagnesD3

It's too risky, but I have a friend who like crappy games with bad controls. So for this friend I'd go down to 5 or 6 and he may still be happy because he likes to see the shapes move on the screen.
Huh, I can get the appeal in watching crappy games being played but playing them is a whole other thing to stomach, must have alot of patience.

WitchHunter

Banned
Have you actually played the game or just plain dumb, maybe pretending to be stupid?

Kratos getting behind Freya on the seaweed horse,
Kratos and Mimir going on all fours enduring Freya's babbling just to placate her
Kratos enduring the old hags' nanana instead of butchering them down and kicking their lifeless bodies into the mud

Why portray woman like irritating, pre ovulating idiots? Freya is an amazon, a valkyrie king and what you get besides her initial badassery? Is this supposed to show an example for women gamers? Gtfo manchild.

gow3isben

Have you actually played the game or just plain dumb, maybe pretending to be stupid?

Kratos getting behind Freya on the seaweed horse,
Kratos and Mimir going on all fours enduring Freya's babbling just to placate her
Kratos enduring the old hags' nanana instead of butchering them down and kicking their lifeless bodies into the mud

Why portray woman like irritating, pre ovulating idiots? Freya is an amazon, a valkyrie king and what you get besides her initial badassery? Is this supposed to show an example for women gamers? Gtfo manchild.

LOL thanks for making my day on the one hand you have reeeeeeeejects and then you have this

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Santa Monica Studio (had to?) make the game be in tune with modern sentiments. Can't have Kratos curb stomp his way to Ragnarok anymore. He has to show that hes not fond of the way he dealt with things in the past, aggression is wrong, he has to listen to others, let them lead the way and act upon their will. He needs the help from others constantly, is understanding, etc.

Freya basically orders him around like a little bitch for a portion of the game. They completely changed his persona, without really letting him fall back to his old self or making the change believable. The constant "grunting" didn't help to hide that fact, even if it was a nice try. His actions count.

I mean, most of the game Kratos isn't even deciding the next steps/way forward, he even gets to do the very thing he was very vocal about not wanting to do. He's reacting to what others are doing, like a weakling. It doesn't fit his persona. Not even GoW 2018 got this far out of character.

Hope they reinvent the series down the line with a Kratos who's actually ready to take responsibility and call the shots, Amazon Primes's "Reacher" style. Unashamed of his powers and determination.

I still think Artreus had to die right at the beginning in this game and set Kratos off to his destined way of simply fucking shit up. Like in the Dark Tower series, there is no redemption or hope or an alternative for the hero. An everlasting circle of rage.

edit: All this is in stark contrast to the actual game loop btw. The charaacter you control and the one seen in cut scenes and during dialog are not the same. That's why its not really working of me.

Last edited:
Why? if you only base it on the scores, Elden Ring crushes it.

gold-metal-number-ninety-four-isolated-white-background-d-rendering-gold-metal-number-ninety-four-isolated-white-background-170157729.jpg

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

So that's bad now?

Sure your right but 94 is still a great meatacritic score.

Glad I was able to enjoy both.

WitchHunter

Banned
Santa Monica Studio (had to?) make the game be in tune with modern sentiments. Can't have Kratos curb stomp his way to Ragnarok anymore. He has to show that hes not fond of the way he dealt with things in the past, aggression is wrong, he has to listen to others, let them lead the way and act upon their will. He needs the help from others constantly, is understanding, etc.

Freya basically orders him around like a little bitch for a portion of the game. They completely changed his persona, without really letting him fall back to his old self or making the change believable. The constant "grunting" didn't help to hide that fact, even if it was a nice try. His actions count.

I mean, most of the game Kratos isn't even deciding the next steps/way forward, he even gets to do the very thing he was very vocal about not wanting to do. He's reacting to what others are doing, like a weakling. It doesn't fit his persona. Not even GoW 2018 got this far out of character.

Hope they reinvent the series down the line with a Kratos who's actually ready to take responsibility and call the shots, Amazon Primes's "Reacher" style. Unashamed of his powers and determination.

I still think Artreus had to die right at the beginning in this game and set Kratos off to his destined way of simply fucking shit up. Like in the Dark Tower series, there is no redemption or hope or an alternative for the hero. An everlasting circle of rage.

edit: All this is in stark contrast to the actual game loop btw. The charaacter you control and the one seen in cut scenes and during dialog are not the same. That's why its not really working of me.
Go to reddit and copypaste this comment there. And watch the reactions :DD.

-200 downvote
Bashing your head into concrete
Rock hurling
Telling you to get a life, fuck urself and die, just not in this particular order

😂😂

Top Bottom