• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarok - Wishlist (Story predictions/Combat Changes/Fixes, etc)

RCU005

We have at last been given the first look of God of War: Ragnarok few weeks ago. The game looks amazing! I was playing GOW 2018 at that moment, and I'm still surprised at how a great game it is. Of course, with that timing, I got very excited about the sequel coming relatively soon. (My guess is Q2 2022).

While this is a thread about things everyone would like to see, what changes they should make, etc. This is the first time I play a game, and I wouldn't care at all if the sequel is practically the same mechanics-wise. Like, normally you expect things to improve significantly from one game to another, but I wouldn't even care if it was done in a way that it'd feel the same game just expanded. Like a second season of a TV show.

With that said, there are few changes:

Combat:
- Evade-cancel rune powers: Some are too long and enemies can still hit you, so what's the point. I don't think making you invulnerable while doing them is the right choice because then it would make it easier, so just letting you cancel them to evade would be a good option.

Gameplay:
- Prediction: An obvious one: We will play with Atreus. Whether just one mission or half of the game or switch between them, I don't know. But I believe we will play as him.

What's in your wish list for this game:

Bonus question: What do you want the future of God of War to be?
For me, while I would like another game in another setting. I'm also afraid that it could turn into Assassin's Creed situation. I'm not sure if having Kratos visiting every setting possible is the right thing to do. The rebooted the franchise and it made sense and did it right, so I just want them to do it if they can make it work as they did it with the Norse mythology. Otherwise, I'd rather see this franchise end before it's milked in the wrong way.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm curious to know if Atreus ever going to find out about Kratos last wife and his daughter Calliope.
5de.gif

yurinka

I want to continue having Kratos as the main character after (not a different one, not Atreus, not the black girl: KRATOS) this game and to keep the woke stuff out of the game, keeping the black person as the only poorly forced tokenism case in the game.

SSM, please don't kill Kratos and specially don't replace him with Atreus or a black female. What they did with TLOU2 was an awful idea and we had enough of that with TLOU2, with Nate being replaced by ladies, the female Ratchet, the black Spider-Man, not wanting to greenlight Days Gone 2, an old lady leading a new IP and Aloy becoming a frequent KFC customer. Please Sony leave at least one big iconic IP -as it is GoW- with a strong, charismatic white heterosexual male as main character. Remember what are the main demographics of your customers and keep them happy.

My only worry with this game is that they would destroy the IP removing its most important and valuable asset: its iconic, charismatic main character when there are zero reasons to do it other than just to pose and make the few purple haired woke folks happy.

Other than that, I'm confident they will deliver an awesome game even if it may be a bit too similar to the previous one, something understandable because this one will be it's second half.

If I had to ask something else, maybe it would be to bring back a super spectacular action set piece with a giant scale as it was the GoW3 intro part with that SotC-like part with giant enemies, moving levels and so on.

Last edited:

WellSheet

We have at last been given the first look of God of War: Ragnarok few weeks ago. The game looks amazing! I was playing GOW 2018 at that moment, and I'm still surprised at how a great game it is. Of course, with that timing, I got very excited about the sequel coming relatively soon. (My guess is Q2 2022).

While this is a thread about things everyone would like to see, what changes they should make, etc. This is the first time I play a game, and I wouldn't care at all if the sequel is practically the same mechanics-wise. Like, normally you expect things to improve significantly from one game to another, but I wouldn't even care if it was done in a way that it'd feel the same game just expanded. Like a second season of a TV show.

With that said, there are few changes:

Combat:
- Evade-cancel rune powers: Some are too long and enemies can still hit you, so what's the point. I don't think making you invulnerable while doing them is the right choice because then it would make it easier, so just letting you cancel them to evade would be a good option.

Gameplay:
- Prediction: An obvious one: We will play with Atreus. Whether just one mission or half of the game or switch between them, I don't know. But I believe we will play as him.

What's in your wish list for this game:

Bonus question: What do you want the future of God of War to be?
For me, while I would like another game in another setting. I'm also afraid that it could turn into Assassin's Creed situation. I'm not sure if having Kratos visiting every setting possible is the right thing to do. The rebooted the franchise and it made sense and did it right, so I just want them to do it if they can make it work as they did it with the Norse mythology. Otherwise, I'd rather see this franchise end before it's milked in the wrong way.
Great post!

I think, to start with release date, it’ll be further out in the year: maybe September. I hate saying that….but I think with Forspoken and Ghostwire releasing in that spring window they won’t want to saturate to heavily.

GOW deserves the space.

I can totally see an Atreus section. I think that’s likely where the “future” of the series will go…whether he takes on the mantle in some sense as the “new” God of War or what have you…I think Kratos will die or move on in some way.

I love the Nordic setting, but I definitely would love to see Japanese; or something else more obscure that hasn’t been done to death. But my guess is the series will need a good 5-7 years to justify a reboot and Atreus NOT being the same type of character/fighter that Kratos is is exactly in line with that theory.

gameplay wise - I want more of what they did in the first game honestly. It’s hard to imagine how they can refine it much more, and honestly without throwing the whole cart over, how they could really elevate the combat systems to a whole new level.

my hope is they really build on the quasi-Metroidvania level design.

getting to visit all 9 realms is going to be awesome - hopefully each realm feels built
out and exploitable - within reason.

Ghekkus

My mental fan fiction is something/someone in the story seriously upsets or pisses off Kratos so bad that he shaves his beard back to his goatee before he embraces the old ways. Bonus if the camera pulls back out and it plays like the originals for a little while.

Hugare

More boss/enemy variety

... And thats pretty much it, for me

Sure, more combat moves and etc, but thats a given

They really dont have to do much to have another almost perfect game.

Boneless

More epic gear and looks for KRATOS hidden behind super difficult hidden sidequests to make him the true god of war.

Fuck playing as Atreus, nobody asked for that, and nobody wants it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Would it though?

I think they can add extra movement options and aerial stuff without Kratos bunny hopping around

He'd only bunny hop around if the player was spamming the jump button.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree

Yoboman

He'd only bunny hop around if the player was spamming the jump button.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree
I just dont think the jumping or platforming ever added anything of value to the games. It was always the clunkiest element of the old games

If they add it back in fine but I find it strange people need it so much

I'd like more enemy variety and a return to BIG set-piece boss battles. The giant boss battles (especially the opening ones) were always a staple in GOW games and I feel the last game left some of that behind. A little more gratuitous gore would be nice as well. The combat in the last game had more depth than I thought it would, so expand on that a bit, but mainly give us more new and exciting fights.

And for the love of god, don't kill off Kratos so we have to play this stupid kid moving forward. Find a way to leave him behind in Norse mythology and let Kratos move on to the new mythos. I'm personally hoping for some Sumerian/Mesopotamian gods to get taken down next. It's an under-utilized mythology in media.

Fbh

Aside from things like more moves, enemy variety, locations and hopefully at least 1 new weapon, all of which I think are a given. I'd like some more over the top boss battles, that was my biggest disappointment with Gow 2018. It had a strong start with Baldur which made me excited to see where things would go... but then it turns out Baldur was actually where it peaks. I was missing that visual spectacle of bosses like Poseidon, Hades or Zeus.

Also let Atreus be a less annoying and don't make a repeat of the whole "they argue the whole time until they reach a breaking point" plot.

GHG

Gold Member
The game could have more platform elements.

It would also add an extra dimension to combat.

For combat, yes. Platforming elements? No thanks. The wall climbing sections only really existed in the previous game for shortcut and/or loading purposes.

Better puzzles, better difficulty scaling (enemies don’t just turn into sponges where each attack is like a scratch), platforming stuff would be cool I see they added some kind of grapple hook, more boss and enemy variety

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Alright I have a theory about the story but I goota warn you all there will be a MAJOR SPOILER for the first game, so IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT DON'T READ THIS.

So my prediction will be based a bit on norse mythology and on that mural near the end of the game.
First of all I think there will be a return in time used at some point and my theory revolves around it.
Why a return in time some may ask?Because jorgumnadr is the son of Loki but he is present in the first game.
So here's my theory, we know that Kratos is supposed to die according to the mural in jotunheim and I think this will happen toward the end of the game when for a short while we will play adult loki/atreus.So what I believe is that Loki will give birth to Jorgumandr with angrboda toward the end of the game, after Kratos has died...understanding that jorgumandr belong to an earlier timeline, he will go back in time for the events of the first opus to take place.realizing that his existence is not in peril due to time travel Loki decide to save his father, one way or another.
I do believe that doing so he will try to convince (and probably fight) his father to never go in Midgard abandoning him to another realm by giving up on his father...I can imagine a touching end where Loki has a discussion with Kratos about how he fight and Loki telling him that his father taught him well, with a final goodbye of Kratos not knowing that Loki is his son and Loki not revealling it to Kratos to save his life.
I think it would be a good way to explain why Jorgumandr is present in the first game, why Kratos dies in the mural and why Kratos would go to another mythology.The downside though would be that it may feel like the 2 games never happened if not for a well trained and more mature Loki.It would also be a good way of ending the cycles of sons killing their parents.
I don't know what you guys think about this theory but I would gladly hear your opinions about it.
I do think it can be a impacting moment seeing Loki abandon his father for him to be able to live.
I know time travel are always tricky but that's (in my opinion) a good way to explain Jorgumandr presence in the first game.

BaneIsPain

More enemies variety and it would be nice if he can fly like gow2 (and control it) for a short period of time.
Kratos GIF by PlayStation

Last edited:

kikkis

Better difficulty balancing normal was easy and hard exercise in frustration. Also get rid of slowing down on axe recall and maybe slim down on some mechanics

Rea

I want the old GOW with new gameplay mechanics. For fuck sake, SSM needs to bring back tits and brutality.

Damigos

Why are people asking for the ability to jump? The fact that Kratos doesnt jump just makes it different and feels refreshing.l, at least to me.
Also, if the game is designed to not have the ability to jump, why would you still want to jump ?

Banned
Combat:

the combat needs to be completely remade if they want it to be actually good. as it is it's extremely simplistic and with no real depth.
more combos, more ways to animation cancel and better animations are needed here.

GoW4 felt sluggish in many ways, one of the issues were the attack animations that had this weird ass hit-feedback to them. I guess it was supposed to be more realistic that way, but realistic attack animations have no place in a good fighting system. it is the exaggeration that makes hits feel good.
sadly 99% of western devs seem to not know how to actually do it right... it's very rare. Darksiders had really good ones, but that's one of the rare exceptions

Why are people asking for the ability to jump? The fact that Kratos doesnt jump just makes it different and feels refreshing.l, at least to me.
Also, if the game is designed to not have the ability to jump, why would you still want to jump ?

well a jump button would expand the possibilities of the fighting system dramatically.

Last edited:
Top Bottom