• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok Writer Champions Angrboda as Part of "Our own spin" on Norse mythology

FmexdpAkjMGRR6YKhesrQB-1024-80.jpg.webp

Whatever, we may want to ask then, what if they made the scientist girl in the next black panter movie white?

If white washing is bad on ground of not being accurate for representation... So is black washing, there are plenty of representations of this character throughout the centuries, none of them is even remotely close to look like theirs does.
R6-EcTDmum2vV4HSPvkuFLBQHQ6ce3hJSsOgDMtecifp8YEGYVSOI8OTu5ojGSENIu8OSyPhSLTw7M2ffMmEMshof7Sp49fd6phy3giIp4Kfx9PavRUg3uk44u9RJD07RiEb2mxYK8__fo9m

Same goes for Thor (however their choice is more defensible, but I would have preferred it if he was more similar to Hercules from GoW3 as far as proportions go).

Just to remember u all Kratos is not 'white" he is covered in ashes.
I am no expert in what the white supremacists consider "white enough", but Kratos is not a sub-saharan African either, he looks like what one could expect to see when you say that someone is from Sparta.

You have to ground your mythology in something.

And if Kratos was to go to Ethiopia, Congo, Tanzania or other countries in the region... He'll meet plenty of actual blacks, if he goes to Algeria, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, etc. He will meet "arab" type people, etc. When I see them I tend to see them as "white" with a tan, etc.

Her features are out of place, it would bring a lot of attention to her for this reason at that time especially (also, she may have been better off in some parts of Africa back then as far as I know, which removes any and all reason to migrate).

Keep in mind that story takes place at a time when most people didn't go much further than a couple of miles from where they were born, if they were nomadic they moved around to follow their food source.

LMJ

Ok i'm gonna ask what people wanted to ask for a long time, if kratos is white because of the ash, does that means that he never takes a bath\clean himself?!

How hard can it be to get rid of some ash?! or is it some type of magic ash?

Such a good spot, the actor choice was chef kiss, one of the few good things about ascension.

Kratos was cursed to wear the ashes of his dead wife and daughter as punishment for his hubris oh, I mean it literally happens in that video does it look like that would be able to be washed off?
Whatever, we may want to ask then, what if they made the scientist girl in the next black panter movie white?

If white washing is bad on ground of not being accurate for representation... So is black washing, there are plenty of representations of this character throughout the centuries, none of them is even remotely close to look like theirs does.
R6-EcTDmum2vV4HSPvkuFLBQHQ6ce3hJSsOgDMtecifp8YEGYVSOI8OTu5ojGSENIu8OSyPhSLTw7M2ffMmEMshof7Sp49fd6phy3giIp4Kfx9PavRUg3uk44u9RJD07RiEb2mxYK8__fo9m

Same goes for Thor (however their choice is more defensible, but I would have preferred it if he was more similar to Hercules from GoW3 as far as proportions go).

I am no expert in what the white supremacists consider "white enough", but Kratos is not a sub-saharan African either, he looks like what one could expect to see when you say that someone is from Sparta.

And if Kratos was to go to Ethiopia, Congo, Tanzania or other countries in the region... He'll meet plenty of actual blacks, if he goes to Algeria, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, etc. He will meet "arab" type people, etc. When I see them I tend to see them as "white" with a tan, etc.

Her features are out of place, it would bring a lot of attention to her for this reason at that time especially (also, she may have been better off in some parts of Africa back then as far as I know, which removes any and all reason to migrate).

Keep in mind that story takes place at a time when most people didn't go much further than a couple of miles from where they were born, if they were nomadic they moved around to follow their food source.
I agree wholeheartedly most of the time when it comes to adaptations.

*Deep breath* However that went out the window when the Greek God of War was slain bye his former Sergeant, who then ascended as the new God of War and also just happened to be yet another son of Zeus (this one's actually fairly reasonable given the father lol)

*Deeper breath*, who then after being betrayed by his father and accidentally killing Athena goes on a massive killing spree killing pretty much every God in the entire Pantheon, but not before he...

*Even deeper breath* escape from Hades multiple times at which one point he decided to go back in time and listing the Titans help on which they betray him, he then kills the Titans themselves,

*Deepest of all the breaths* at which point the entire world is destroyed falling apart at the seams so he then ghost kills his father Zeus and realizing there's nothing left to do flees his own mythology to enter a new one...lol

tired out of breath GIF by Clasharama

While God of War may have started off as an adaptation of Greek mythology it has clearly splintered off wildly since then, Kratos entering Norse mythology is enough for me to just throw my hands in the air and go "all right do what you want at this point"

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Yea definitely not pandering to diversity but sticks a random black character in a significant role lol.

At least own the shit, you look like a clown denying it.

Black people are random?

And can't do anything significant?

The sense of fear and entitlement prejudice people have is so unfounded and nonsensical.

hile God of War may have started off as an adaptation of Greek mythology it has clearly splintered off wildly since then, Kratos entering Norse mythology is enough for me to just throw my hands in the air and go "all right do what you want at this point"
I know, I get this... However, I am no fan of spreading hate under the guise of diversity and inclusion. I also don't like how this group of people claim to want their creations to be grounded in reality, to have a mission to eliminate white washing movies/etc. And they turn around to do these things, act as if there was no representation at all before 2020, or if there was it was problematic, etc.

So I don't believe that was made in good faith, that adjustment was made out of fear of being criticized for lack of representation, it may have been preptive, they may agree with the choice anyway, but the action still is motivated by fear of not appearing to be "woke enough" or whatever this is these days.

I bet it will still happen.

LMJ

Black people are random?

And can't do anything significant?

The sense of fear and entitlement prejudice people have is so unfounded and nonsensical.

Call him a bigot, sexist this-ist that-ist... how dare he have an unpopular opinion SHUN HIM!
shun adam ruins GIF by truTV

On a serious note, there have been dozens of reasons why people are offended at such a move in this very thread, many of which are well reasoned and written the least of which is the fact that this is a very America centric viewpoint (include the token minority ignoring the wide swath of different races etc)

which I have sadly come to completely expect from blind idealism, which many developers and Publishers are sadly led by.

I know, I get this... However, I am no fan of spreading hate under the guise of diversity and inclusion. I also don't like how this group of people claim to want their creations to be grounded in reality, to have a mission to eliminate white washing movies/etc. And they turn around to do these things, act as if there was no representation at all before 2020, or if there was it was problematic, etc.

So I don't believe that was made in good faith, that adjustment was made out of fear of being criticized for lack of representation, it may have been preptive, they may agree with the choice anyway, but the action still is motivated by fear of not appearing to be "woke enough" or whatever this is these days.

I bet it will still happen.

Right there with you man, and as I mentioned before it's clear as day this was done to protect American sensibilities, but I'm just not going to let it get to me too much considering how far gone the series has become.

At this point I would rate God of War Story right up there with Fast and Furious fun popcorn flick but nothing else LOL

ReBurn

Gold Member
This is a reductionist and dumb take, it was a longer way of saying "if you don't like it you are racist".

What people, or at least I am in any case, is a bit annoyed about is the lack of respect for the myths of any group that can be characterized as white. It's racist tokenism.

You know that if there was a game where Kratos would go on to fight Indian gods, the devs would never stick a Chinese/black person in there to play one of their myths.
Aside from being upset about lack of respect for myths, or colloquially "shit that never happened," your comparison isn't a good one. First, there is no standard "Indian gods" to compare to. You probably mean Hindu gods. But even then Hindu gods are not always depicted as a certain race, whatever color you believe that to be. Their power defines the manifestation of their physical attributes and many are depicted in colors other than whatever you believe the color of Indian people to be. Shiva, Krishna, Vishnu, and Kali are often depicted as blue or very light-skinned.

Second, Chinese or dark skinned people in a game like this with Hindu gods probably would not offend Indian people. India shares a land border with China and there are people on both sides of that border that share physical traits from either country. It's not uncommon for some Indian people to have what could be considered traditionally Asian physical traits because they are Asian people. Due to English colonialism there are a lot of fully Indian people with European physical characteristics. And there is a huge Persian influence as well. There are also many variations in skin tone across the Indian diaspora with many Indian people having very dark skin. All that is to say that Indian people are more likely to define themselves by their culture and not their race.

So really it just seems like you're just mad that the developer is depicting a fantasy character that you think should be light skinned as dark skinned and that's where you need to challenge your own thought process. If a person can accept that Loki shape shifted into a mare and gave birth to Odin's eight-legged horse that person should be able to get behind a giant being able to manifest with dark skin. After all, it's all fantasy and it really just comes down to what you're willing to believe.

GymWolf

Kratos was cursed to wear the ashes of his dead wife and daughter as punishment for his hubris oh, I mean it literally happens in that video does it look like that would be able to be washed off?

I agree wholeheartedly most of the time when it comes to adaptations.

*Deep breath* However that went out the window when the Greek God of War was slain bye his former Sergeant, who then ascended as the new God of War and also just happened to be yet another son of Zeus (this one's actually fairly reasonable given the father lol)

*Deeper breath*, who then after being betrayed by his father and accidentally killing Athena goes on a massive killing spree killing pretty much every God in the entire Pantheon, but not before he...

*Even deeper breath* escape from Hades multiple times at which one point he decided to go back in time and listing the Titans help on which they betray him, he then kills the Titans themselves,

*Deepest of all the breaths* at which point the entire world is destroyed falling apart at the seams so he then ghost kills his father Zeus and realizing there's nothing left to do flees his own mythology to enter a new one...lol

tired out of breath GIF by Clasharama

While God of War may have started off as an adaptation of Greek mythology it has clearly splintered off wildly since then, Kratos entering Norse mythology is enough for me to just throw my hands in the air and go "all right do what you want at this point"
Lol i was joking, i know about the curse, it was just an excuse to post the spot :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Zathalus

This really annoys me, I was relying on the God of War series to provide me with an accurate depiction of the Greek and Norse gods.

These type of people are the worse, they even edited the Wikipedia article about the mythological Loki to not have Kratos as his father, but some wanker called Fárbauti instead. Can you fucking believe that?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This really annoys me, I was relying on the God of War series to provide me with an accurate depiction of the Greek and Norse gods.

These type of people are the worse, they even edited the Wikipedia article about the mythological Loki to not have Kratos as his father, but some wanker called Fárbauti instead. Can you fucking believe that?
2v3m81.jpg

They changed Loki father from Kratos to some random guy?

Fuck this shit.
i was looking through the Eddas written centuries ago and even there these stupid fuckers forgot to include Kratos.
Im so fucking pissed.

Are they going to explain this in some internally consistent way? She's an immigrant from another pantheon like Kratos, all the giants look African, something like that? Or is it just literally arbitrary that this one character is black?

That to me is the key point - it's not enough to say oh it's fantasy we can do whatever we want. That's idiotic. Your world has to be internally consistent.

On Demand

Banned
Cute spin. The sense of idiocy is strong with this post. Keep on keeping on tho sjw 😉

I’m not spinning anything and I’m not a SJW. I hate organizations like BLM. All it does it keep black people stagnant. On purpose I would say. It’s not even black created anyway. The whole thing is bullshit. They’re political terrorist.

It’s just one character. I don’t see the issue. Greek mythology has many different types of characters and stories based on myths. You people are seriously mad at single character from those myths being black. Like come on.

GymWolf

Are they going to explain this in some internally consistent way? She's an immigrant from another pantheon like Kratos, all the giants look African, something like that? Or is it just literally arbitrary that this one character is black?

That to me is the key point - it's not enough to say oh it's fantasy we can do whatever we want. That's idiotic. Your world has to be internally consistent.
Yeah, i think that we don't have all the info here, she can be the connection to egypt.

On Demand

Banned
Call him a bigot, sexist this-ist that-ist... how dare he have an unpopular opinion SHUN HIM!
shun adam ruins GIF by truTV

On a serious note, there have been dozens of reasons why people are offended at such a move in this very thread, many of which are well reasoned and written the least of which is the fact that this is a very America centric viewpoint (include the token minority ignoring the wide swath of different races etc)

which I have sadly come to completely expect from blind idealism, which many developers and Publishers are sadly led by.

Right there with you man, and as I mentioned before it's clear as day this was done to protect American sensibilities, but I'm just not going to let it get to me too much considering how far gone the series has become.

At this point I would rate God of War Story right up there with Fast and Furious fun popcorn flick but nothing else LOL

Your post, and the post you quoted, is acting as if anybody was asking for representation and black people to be in a God Of War game. This didn’t happen. So the argument of checking a box doesn’t work.

It it possible for developers to have their own independent choice in how to make their games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Jutun can have all sorts of looks in the mythos.
They dont have an ethnicity so maybe some of them had caramel skin.
Maybe some of them were grey
Maybe who gives a shit they arent going to sit there mid game saying why is your skin caramel?
Weve seen blue dwarves but a caramel Jotun....by Odins beard so special please tell us how you ended up being caramel colored?

If you are so worried about internal consistency did you ask this same question about the brothers?
raf-grassetti-broksindriingame02.jpg

Maybe who gives a shit they arent going to sit there mid game saying why is your skin caramel?
Weve seen blue dwarves but a caramel Jotun....by Odins beard so special please tell us how you ended up being caramel colored?

If you are so worried about internal consistency did you ask this same question about the brothers?
Angrboða doesn't just have "caramel skin," she looks like an African woman. Dwarves having blue skin is just fantasy shit - there's no real world analog. Imagine if the dwarves looked Chinese. Wouldn't you want some sort of explanation?

GymWolf

Except the ancient Egyptians weren't black ;)
Well i think people can close an eye with black people being more diffused in egypt compared to white milk north mithology if this is really their problem.

Or she can represent something different than egypt.

I think that devs could have some moral problems going in a mostly black land\mythology since you would see white man kratos\atreus murdering black people\being somehow the white savior or some shit, i think it would be hard to do in modern times.

I mean, the reeeeetards opened multiple topics about ellie smashing the black chick in the hospital or kratos going into a land with mostly black people so you already know how the mob is ready to condamnd this stuff.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Why? egypt mythology is cool as fuck and the locations itself is breathtaking.

Have you missed the decades of controversy of the ancient Egyptians being black or white?

Funny thing is ancient Egypt, I’m talking ancient....old kingdom to middle kingdom, not the late Greco Roman period, would fit just fine having African people there(though late period would be fine too honestly). Yet the same people in this thread would still complain.

Assassins Creed Origins had an “issue” to deal with because of the skin color and race of a lot of its characters. Many of the games live streams and videos had idiots typing “We Wuz Kangs” in the comments just because it has dark skin and black people in the game.

There are majority black people in Africa. Today even with many thousands of years of migrants and intermixing. An ancient civilization located in Africa would have Black people living there. SHOCKING.

Especially since pre colonialism Africa had no such thing as countries and Africans freely moved around the continent and interacted with each other. They’re even finding Egyption papyrus and statues way deep in the Congo. Back and forth migration anyone? These findings never get mainstream coverage unsurprisingly.

Umbral

Angrboða doesn't just have "caramel skin," she looks like an African woman. Dwarves having blue skin is just fantasy shit - there's no real world analog. Imagine if the dwarves looked Chinese. Wouldn't you want some sort of explanation?

Brok is blue from handling metals without gloves.

Kimahri

Banned
Have you missed the decades of controversy of the ancient Egyptians being black or white?

Funny thing is ancient Egypt, I’m talking ancient....old kingdom to middle kingdom, not the late Greco Roman period, would fit just fine having African people there(though late period would be fine too honestly). Yet the same people in this thread would still complain.

Assassins Creed Origins had an “issue” to deal with because of the skin color and race of a lot of its characters. Many of the games live streams and videos had idiots typing “We Wuz Kangs” in the comments just because it has dark skin and black people in the game.

There are majority black people in Africa. Today even with many thousands of years of migrants and intermixing. An ancient civilization located in Africa would have Black people living there. SHOCKING.

Especially since pre colonialism Africa had no such thing as countries and Africans freely moved around the continent and interacted with each other. They’re even finding Egyption papyrus and statues way deep in the Congo. Back and forth migration anyone? These findings never get mainstream coverage unsurprisingly.
See, this is why I'm bored of diversity being shoe horned into european dark ages just for the sake of diversity . What you're describing sounds a million times more interesting and I'm dying to explore it.

Can you even imagine how exciting that could be? From Egypt to Kongo, long before Europe said hello and took everything.

I don't know if you played Ancestors a humankind odyssey, but that team feels like a perfect fit for it. You can easily expand on that gameplay to more recent times with nomadic tribes etc.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think this has less to do with racism, but with Americans imposing yet again their societal problems onto foreign cultural heritages. Why should the Norse pantheon be any more diverse than let's say Wakanda or African mythology?

These tales came from a time before globalism and multiculturalism and are an intrinsic part of the common ancestry and traditions of different ethnic groups. As such, they are somewhat sacrosanct and should certainly not be abused for mere tokenism, virtue signaling and political messaging. Folklore transcends politics as it lets people identify with each other across partisan lines and should never be politicized like that. I am fine that these stories are updated to fit modern standards, but one should always be aware that doing so is a delicate task.

Changing the mere skin color of a mythological character for diversity's sake would imply that said mythology is deeply flawed and not diverse enough, when Norse mythology is brimming with so many different personalities and worldviews. What value does adding a skin color to these stories create? Does it enrich that particular mythology in any way? Not really, all it does is poison these timeless tales with trendy societal issues from the USA because that country is absolutely obsessed with race. Non-Americans are frikkin' tired of all this race bullcrap that amounts to absolutely f*ck all, except more division, unnecessary labels and stereotyped thinking.

It is such an americocentric perspective that many people from outside can only shake their heads at it in disbelief, but then to be also labeled a "racist" for simply refusing to let such narrow-minded hot button issues subvert one's cultural heritage that has nothing to do with America's current issues is simply beyond stupid. What's racist is thinking that the whole world is the same as America and that everybody else should view the world as Americans do and also share in their flimsy soup-du-jour moral principles that get dictated by their entertainment industry and social media.

Everybody in this thread, no matter which side they stand on concerning this controversy, have played many many games with protagonists from different ethical groups and cultural backgrounds. I'm sure all of us have played and enjoyed games with black/white/whatever protagonists and nobody had even the slightest issue with it. Simply dehumanizing the "other side" by lazily labeling them with all sorts of horrible things because you refuse to engage with them in an honest manner is exactly what racists would do.

I genuinely don't get how David Jaffe, a man who used to have a backbone and shit on dipshits, has become such an overly sensitive, bird brained cunt. He has become the very kind of person he used to shit on.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

See, this is why I'm bored of diversity being shoe horned into european dark ages just for the sake of diversity . What you're describing sounds a million times more interesting and I'm dying to explore it.

Can you even imagine how exciting that could be? From Egypt to Kongo, long before Europe said hello and took everything.

I don't know if you played Ancestors a humankind odyssey, but that team feels like a perfect fit for it. You can easily expand on that gameplay to more recent times with nomadic tribes etc.
Sounds interesting. For once there would be some detailed African settings (aside from games with Egyptian Sphinx and pyramid stuff).

But good luck waiting for games like that.

The sales and marketing aspect would drop as the lead character wouldnt be the usual White guy with dark brown hair, and if a game was made where tons of African people getting slaughtered like a shooter or RPG youd get a lot of flak.

That RE5 game got flak for African zombies when the game was set in Africa!

So I can understand why devs dont want to go too deep. Most flak-less method is to inject Blank characters into whatever game, make them a decent character and leave it at that. You get a combo of PR, "they're doing their part", and it totally reduces the risk of making mistakes with an African themed game (especially since most dev teams are almost all white and asian employees).

Last edited:
Issue here is she looks so...African American. As opposed to African. It's like making a Soviet war movie and casting Irish people with red hair to play the Russians. This is right up there with Capcom's African village of White people.

I cant wait until diversity mandates mean you'll have Black members of the SS in a WW2 movie or game.

Last edited:

KingT731

Issue here is she looks so...African American. As opposed to African. It's like making a Soviet war movie and casting Irish people with red hair to play the Russians. This is right up there with Capcom's African village of White people.

I cant wait until diversity mandates mean you'll have Black members of the SS in a WW2 movie or game.

Please tell me what the difference is between how Africans look and African Americans?

Akira1983

Banned
I hate that as soon as I saw the trailer I knew all the regular shitholes were going to have racists popping out of the woodwork all pissed off. And look here in this topic... man

Kimahri

Banned
Sounds interesting. For once there would be some detailed African settings (aside from games with Egyptian Sphinx and pyramid stuff).

But good luck waiting for games like that.

The sales and marketing aspect would drop as the lead character wouldnt be the usual White guy with dark brown hair, and if a game was made where tons of African people getting slaughtered like a shooter or RPG youd get a lot of flak.

That RE5 game got flak for African zombies when the game was set in Africa!

So I can understand why devs dont want to go too deep. Most flak-less method is to inject Blank characters into whatever game, make them a decent character and leave it at that. You get a combo of PR, "they're doing their part", and it totally reduces the risk of making mistakes with an African themed game (especially since most dev teams are almost all white and asian employees).
I guess the only hope is a dev scene in African countries developing. I know nothing about what's being done there, to be honest. That's one issue I'm not afraid to plead ignorance on.

Keihart

I agree with the writer with the part of being impossible to not make it "political" since the most sincere writing will reflect the biases of the writer too, but, what does a nordic myth or story gain from adding non nordic looking characters? is he implying that it's impossible to make it relatable without including other ethnicities or that he is incapable of making it relatable without inclussion? because both claims sound pretty dumb.

If this would somehow intertwine with African myths or something, maybe he is into something, but as it is looks like a token diversity inclusion.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I agree with the writer with the part of being impossible to not make it "political" since the most sincere writing will reflect the biases of the writer too, but, what does a nordic myth or story gain from adding non nordic looking characters? is he implying that it's impossible to make it relatable without including other ethnicities or that he is incapable of making it relatable without inclussion? because both claims sound pretty dumb.

If this would somehow intertwine with African myths or something, maybe he is into something, but as it is looks like a token diversity inclusion.

Agreed. Though I will hold final judgement until the release. I am really hoping that, like Kratos, this Angrboda is actually a god from another pantheon or from another region. A way to set up the next phase of God of War.

Keihart

No gloves vs gloves, makes sense...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria

LMJ

Your post, and the post you quoted, is acting as if anybody was asking for representation and black people to be in a God Of War game. This didn’t happen. So the argument of checking a box doesn’t work.

It it possible for developers to have their own independent choice in how to make their games.
To the first part of your post...

Yeah somebody is...at all times and they go by Twitter, and company heads listen to them (or in many cases now are them) all the while we the masses roll our eyes at the "messages" they convey that would have been brave and new two decades ago and are now simply

south park beat a dead horse GIF

As to the second part of your post...huh sounds familiar...
Let's be dead honest, this is clearly the usual United States rhetoric of so-called racial sensitivity which ironically only sees one to three races tops LOL

That having been said this is also clearly an adaptation...(again Loki being the son of a Greek god and all)

So let them take all the Liberties they want with it as this is their version of the story and if they want to go in this direction fantastic... they'll do one of two things...

#1 push people too far and turn them away (Starwars)

#2 people will adapt and accept it the same they did with the whole God of War literally killing all of Greek mythology and somehow escaping the spirit word and entering the Norse one ;) LOL

God Of War Kratos Nod GIF by PlayStation

Hope that clears it up...

WitchHunter

What a load of crap... Like they can't afford to hire specialists in this field. Gimme a break.

Please tell me what the difference is between how Africans look and African Americans?
African americans are mixed with white. It's obvious when you look at their factions. And this little girl has a relatively light skin color for a black person. She is definitely not 100% african.

Uh hu, sure, we believe you. Even a lot of 'normie' types are starting to see what's going.
Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Sad how many people are making a deal out of this.

I don't give a fuck about a black person in this game and setting.

Fuck I didn't care Roland was played by a black actor in "The dark tower" even though the series by Stephen King are my favourite books.
I actually don't care most of the time as long as it dosn't stand out by bad script/acting.

People are so fucking sensitive about fucking EVERYTHING nowadays.
Funny thing is though, many of those that have an issue of a black character in a game are blaming other people of beeing to sensitive about most other topics. Fucking hypocrites.

Last edited:

Toons

Banned

I really wonder who keeps making this argument. Because it's so bad. Black Panthers race is integral to the character in a way where you cannot seperate the two. There are multiple characters like this. Bruce Wayne should always be white. Red Skull should always be white. Shang Chi should always be Asian. Thing should probably always be white. I'd be against swapping most/any of tjose.

There are other characters though, whos race is not integral to the character. Johnny Storm doesn't have to be white really. Nightcrawler doesn't always have to be white. Selina Kyle. So on and so forth. These ones idgaf if you swap.

In this particular instance given how liberally they've adapted the material thus far, I see nothing that suggests this character is one of the former but rather one of the later.

This argument is always so lazy because implies that race and character are either always intertwined or never are, when that is not the case.

Id argue the very thing that makes a mythology a mythology is that it takes what is normally grounded and adds fantastical or exaggerated elements to that.

Isnt this character a shape-shifting diety? She can have many forms depending on the environment.

Top Bottom