• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War release date and new trailer!

Kagero

I felt a downgrade too, but if you have the option you should definitely get the Pro. Game still looks amazing!
I think they bumped up the saturation over all making everything look more cartoony. I'm not in the camp that believes color = good graphics. I prefer a more natural and neutral palate myself. I'm sure if someone took this and desaturated it a bit it would look similar to the initial trailer.

Mr.Fox

The blur/camera focus/texture resolution or whatever it is, is all over the place in some scenes.
The scenes in previous trailers were pretty flawless overall, that's why those little visual wrinkles are so noticeable now. But at least we know for sure now that those are in game scenes, rendered in real time.

edit: I'm a beaten noob, can't properly show the image, not from imgur, not from google drive. RIP this post.
edit: Saved.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Does Kratos still have prior history from previous battles or is all that whiped clean with this “soft reboot”?

llien

I'm a beaten noob, can't properly show the image, not from imgur, not from google drive.
Well, why, works for me (the original image isn't high res though).

Depth of field effect in games requires some effort on developers side, things don't get blurred on their own.

"Focus" in this picture does look puzzling, perhaps you are right and it's engine's glitch.

Does Kratos still have prior history from previous battles or is all that whiped clean with this “soft reboot”?
Based on trailer he knows what happens when a god is killed, so, at least some history is preserved.

Last edited:
I love the new direction of the series. Previous entries were great in aspects of visual fidelity, story telling and game play. This takes it up a notch and I must admit, there are haters out there for the new combat system but I for one welcome this new heavier combat. I love swinging round the blades of Chaos, I am open to this new direction. I think that this formula of grounding God of War a little bit and adding a dash of The Last of Us style story telling could make for a really compelling game. Simpleh luvley.

Swizzle

Gold Member
As much as it breaks my heart to say this but this place is a sinking ship, it’s just a matter of time until they pull the plug.

After such a massive forum software migration and all the new features the guys working at it have added it seems a bit too pessimistic and a bit disheartening, wouldn’t you agree?

MADGAME

Wasn't a fan of any of the previous God of War games I've tried, but liking the look and vibe of this one.

Also liking the new video embedding functionality!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That's where I'm at. I was one who had no issues with the previous character. Yeah, he was a psychotic rage machine, but that was the perfect avatar for the on-screen action. I'll play this new one, but I'm not feeling it from what I've seen so far. I'll hope to be proven wrong.

You can say that again brother!

Additionally, the gameplay seems a little...I feel like I've played that game already a million times on PS4. People probably like that, but I used to enjoy the classic approach of the previous GOWs. But maybe they felt like the game needed to be more modern. It likely will be a huge seller. It's just the way I see it for myself.

Also, I love how some people think they influence the outcome of a game by what they write on message boards..too funny.

Cheers for the heads-up OP. It's been just long enough since I last played through a third-person, story focused title, so I'm really looking forward to diving into this one. Hopefully the combat system is fairly indepth to add some replay value. I'm one of the rare breed of gamer who replays story based, single-player games if the combat mechanics are solid.

Last edited:

Lilseb93

I'm so hyped for this game. I loved the original trilogy, but I love the direction they've taken the series. Hopefully it's great.

You can say that again brother!

Additionally, the gameplay seems a little...I feel like I've played that game already a million times on PS4. People probably like that, but I used to enjoy the classic approach of the previous GOWs. But maybe they felt like the game needed to be more modern. It likely will be a huge seller. It's just the way I see it for myself.

Also, I love how some people think they influence the outcome of a game by what they write on message boards..too funny.

Kinda the same feeling I have. A GoW game with a TPS perspective? Doesn't seem quite right to me, but let's see what will come out of this.

grumpyGamer

i saw the slight downgrade but i was expecting it already, i mean it was a trailer it was supposed to impress.

on that note i already preordered the collectors edition of the game, here in portugal they are quite rare and the store rarely have them for sale after release

ruvikx

Banned
This God of War will live or die based upon its combat, weapons, boss fights, puzzles, level design & overall 'presentation' (including the soundtrack), i.e. not the story. In the previous games the story merely served the aforementioned qualities & was most certainly NOT the reason so many loved the games (myself included). I mean I have wonderful memories of fighting Hercules in God of War 3, yet I'd be damned if I could actually say 'why' Hercules was a baddie or why the hell Kratos was even fighting him (beyond the vengeance tale). My point? I'm really, really unsure about the direction of this new game & their intent on selling it via its narrative - with lots of 'story' exposure & very little combat shown.

Also, I just don't care about a one thousandth parent/child tale. That is all. Although I still hope I'm pleasantly surprised in April.

Damerman

Super duper fucking hyped for this. This is gonna be the first game i preorder in a while. That trailer was excellent.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Missed this trailer earlier in the week. Just watching it now and the game looks great. Just a few more months. I might have to go back and replay the last game. It's been awhile.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This God of War will live or die based upon its combat, weapons, boss fights, puzzles, level design & overall 'presentation' (including the soundtrack), i.e. not the story. In the previous games the story merely served the aforementioned qualities & was most certainly NOT the reason so many loved the games (myself included). I mean I have wonderful memories of fighting Hercules in God of War 3, yet I'd be damned if I could actually say 'why' Hercules was a baddie or why the hell Kratos was even fighting him (beyond the vengeance tale). My point? I'm really, really unsure about the direction of this new game & their intent on selling it via its narrative - with lots of 'story' exposure & very little combat shown.

Also, I just don't care about a one thousandth parent/child tale. That is all. Although I still hope I'm pleasantly surprised in April.

Yes it could of very easily been a new I.P

But just from the gameplay we have
seen it looks to be a good game.

Right now it looks to be as good as gears of war 4, which I think is a good thing.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Yes it could of very easily been a new I.P

But just from the gameplay we have
seen it looks to be a good game.

Right now it looks to be as good as gears of war 4, which I think is a good thing.

Right, I just have a phobia of potential sections in which the playable character does forced slow walk & has a chitchat with someone (in this instance, the kid), whilst spouting dialogue & a father/son narrative I've heard a million times before. If that happens in God of War, I'll roll my eyes & feel a tad bored, tbh. That sort of experience reeks of extreme hubris & arrogance from the storytellers, i.e. by pretending their hokey plot is so earth shatteringly special it defines the experience more than the gameplay itself.

Give me great action, bosses, puzzles, epic music & memorable sections. That's all I want. I'm somewhat certain most people who love God of War probably feel the same.

Sosokrates

Right, I just have a phobia of potential sections in which the playable character does forced slow walk & has a chitchat with someone (in this instance, the kid), whilst spouting dialogue & a father/son narrative I've heard a million times before. If that happens in God of War, I'll roll my eyes & feel a tad bored, tbh. That sort of experience reeks of extreme hubris & arrogance from the storytellers, i.e. by pretending their hokey plot is so earth shatteringly special it defines the experience more than the gameplay itself.

Give me great action, bosses, puzzles, epic music & memorable sections. That's all I want. I'm somewhat certain most people who love God of War probably feel the same.

Unfortunately if your looking for something like the ps2 and ps3 god of wars the upcoming god of war wont fit that bill.
However you may find enjoyment in the similar aspects such as the scale, enemy design and overall themes and styles.

Armorian

Banned
Ascension was medicore, old formula was no longer working for me (saying that as a big fan of the series). I'm in for something new.

preskerd

Neo Member
There is huge hype around this game so I hope they won't dissapoint. Well when we look at the their record, they will most likely deliver a great experience again anyways

nowhat

Only thing im worried about is the campaign hours. I hope its well over quality 80 plus hours.
According to someone involved with the project (producer? can't be arsed to dig up the tweet) it should be in the 20-30 hour range. How can you expect 80+ hours? Previous entries in the series have been 9-12 hours.

verruckt93

Neo Member
According to someone involved with the project (producer? can't be arsed to dig up the tweet) it should be in the 20-30 hour range. How can you expect 80+ hours? Previous entries in the series have been 9-12 hours.
Barlog Said it's 35 hours

Thought the new direction change would add some more hours to it, at least on par with Zero Dawn. Looking forward to it nonetheless.

nowhat

Thought the new direction change would add some more hours to it, at least on par with Zero Dawn. Looking forward to it nonetheless.
But HZD is an open-world game. This should be a fairly linear experience, I don't think expecting even 50 hours is realistic (unless talking about an JRPG - and that may not be a good thing).

JP

Armorian Armorian
I didn't really enjoy Ascension but I'm not sure it was mediocre though. I think it was simply down to the fact that it wasn't really any different to any of the other games and although I'd enjoyed them, I'd just had enough by then. I think it may have been a lot more popular if it had been an earlier game.

Eighty hours? I had slightest of concerns about the claimed 30+ hours and that it may actually be too much for a fairly linear game, are there actually any other linear games that have that sort of length? I was expected it to be closer to the pretty standard eight hours, or even less.

This game really can't come soon enough for me, I'm really expecting a lot from it as I've always been a fan of the games and love what they've shown so far.

Armorian

Banned
Armorian Armorian
I didn't really enjoy Ascension but I'm not sure it was mediocre though. I think it was simply down to the fact that it wasn't really any different to any of the other games and although I'd enjoyed them, I'd just had enough by then. I think it may have been a lot more popular if it had been an earlier game.

It was fine in terms of locations, enemy design, puzzles and even (pointless for the series) story but it had the worst combat system in entire series. Game also regresed technically, amazing dynamic lighting system from GOW3 was gone and avg. framerate was lower.

Carl

This is the first major game I'm really looking forward to this year. I'll admit I'm a little dubious of the direction but I love the GoW lore and I can't wait to see what happens in this. I believe in Cory

ruvikx

Banned
Unfortunately if your looking for something like the ps2 and ps3 god of wars the upcoming god of war wont fit that bill.
However you may find enjoyment in the similar aspects such as the scale, enemy design and overall themes and styles.

When I hearken back to 2004, I was even unconvinced about the God of War concept in the first game... until I started playing, i.e. once I reached Athens (magnificent combat, art-style & music), kaboom, I was addicted. So I'm still on the fence. Yet with regards to this new GoW, I'm just 'urgh' vis-à-vis the kid & narrative driven father/son story & other changes. I also really don't get the "we needed a new direction!" claims in the God of War series either (I'm not specifically referring to your views), i.e. Nintendo (yes, a good example) never says "we need to change Super Mario's concept!" & throws the previous gameplay down the drain.

In a best case scenario I would like to equate the new God of War with Super Mario 3D World's divergence from the side-scrolling traditional Mario games, i.e. different, yet just as good. I really cannot emphasize enough just how good the original God of War trilogy was.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/01/05/god-of-war-gameplay-details-playstation-4/

-Combat is based on prioritizing enemies, it’s not as chaotic as in the past. For example certain enemies are resistant to Leviathan which is Kratos Axe, others are impossible to stagger.
-Use of your surroundings is important to get through combat scenarios. Gives players a few different choices in completing combat scenarios.
-Leviathan is can be thrown to freeze certain enemies and a button needs to be pushed to summon it back to you.
-Not sure if this was known, but there’s no jump button
-Shield is used to parry and as well in melee combat
-Arteus (Kratos’ Son) is an extension of Kratos moveset, can be used to attack certain enemies by pushing the square button.
-While not being directed in combat Aretus will rain arrows on enemies which will increase their stun meter, once they are stunned Kratos can grab the enemies and either rip them apart or use them as weapons. The example given is a specific enemy creates an area of effect attack that launches the rest of the enemies in the air
Traversal:

-No more jumping or swimming
-Kratos and Arteus use boats to traverse the environment when appropriate

Upgrade System:

-Skills, armor, weapons can all be upgraded
-Uses some type of crafting system that the developers are being tight lipped about
-Can craft different types of armor
-Skill upgrades and crafting of armor applies to Arteus as well
-There are rune slots on the axe that can change the properties of the weapon for both light and heavy attack

Weapons:

-Being tight lipped about other weapons appearing in the game, but say that the Axe and Shield are the star of the show.

Miscellaneous

-They wanted to get away from the destroy all Gods mentality that they had in previous God of Wars so they Made Kratos more vulnerable. The only time he really goes insane in combat is during Spartan Rage where he starts demolishing characters with just his fists.
-After Ascension it was hard to get the higher ups to sign off onto another God of War game, they were pretty much done with the franchise, Cory had to pitch something great and fresh in order to get the game greenlit.
-Cory speaking about the future of God of War mentions the Mayan Era or the Egyptian Era
-Cory mentions he wants this new direction of God of War to reach way more people and go into Uncharted and Assassins Creed levels and to grow the franchise”

The parts I've bolded are red flags, IMO. I'm certainly not enthusiastic about these changes, likewise their claim vis-à-vis "While not being directed in combat Aretus will rain arrows on enemies" is nothing new because Kratos previously employed Soul Summon in combat, i.e. summoning allies to fight alongside him.

Wait & see.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
Looks great, hoping the gameplay will be good too. Ascension was too Similar to GoW3, and while the presentation and production were excellent, it was easy to get bored quickly. Same thing happened with Uncharted 4...beautiful game with amazing animation, but the gunplay and platforming felt like "I've already played this far too many times". Some great recent reboots were Doom, Tomb Raider and Wolfenstein. I hope this new God of War delivers on the gameplay side, and doesn't overly rely on storytelling and set-pieces to impress.

ayokunaj

Preordered on PSN because of those lovely pins. Game looks great but I will like them to show us more gameplay videos instead of story trailer.

Sosokrates

When I hearken back to 2004, I was even unconvinced about the God of War concept in the first game... until I started playing, i.e. once I reached Athens (magnificent combat, art-style & music), kaboom, I was addicted. So I'm still on the fence. Yet with regards to this new GoW, I'm just 'urgh' vis-à-vis the kid & narrative driven father/son story & other changes. I also really don't get the "we needed a new direction!" claims in the God of War series either (I'm not specifically referring to your views), i.e. Nintendo (yes, a good example) never says "we need to change Super Mario's concept!" & throws the previous gameplay down the drain.

In a best case scenario I would like to equate the new God of War with Super Mario 3D World's divergence from the side-scrolling traditional Mario games, i.e. different, yet just as good. I really cannot emphasize enough just how good the original God of War trilogy was.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/01/05/god-of-war-gameplay-details-playstation-4/

The parts I've bolded are red flags, IMO. I'm certainly not enthusiastic about these changes, likewise their claim vis-à-vis "While not being directed in combat Aretus will rain arrows on enemies" is nothing new because Kratos previously employed Soul Summon in combat, i.e. summoning allies to fight alongside him.

Wait & see.

Reading your post reminds me how much I loved the old god of war combat.
But like I said if you want more of god of war 1-3, god of war ps4 is not going to satisfy that need.
I say try and look at the game as a single entity and judge it as it stands alone.
People who loved god of war 1-3 and want another game like them arent going to find it with god of war ps4.

It would be interesting if they made a true successor to god of war 3, I bet they could of done some crazy stuff on PS4 with the old God of war formula.

Last edited:
Top Bottom