• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - Review Thread

Ridcully

That's actually what makes me sceptical. Not to poop on the party, but when journos get this unanimous the gameplay will likely be fairly flaccid. Plus you tend to see these super hyped triple A games only getting their comeuppance a month or 2 down the road. Like Bioshock Infinite and the like.

I hope it's as good as it seems though and everyone enjoys it.

I'm getting flashbacks of the pre-release GTAIV coverage. I wouldn't be surprised if critical consensus turns on the game in six months.

Victor Lucas' review.

I'm getting flashbacks of the pre-release GTAIV coverage. I wouldn't be surprised if critical consensus turns on the game in six months.
Happens all the time. People are easily distracted by something shiny that they forget about the actual gameplay until replaying the thing. Hopefully GoW is a legit good game in all areas.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Gamespot review is so full of characters and locations spoilers! I regret watching it...
I never watch reviews I listen to them. I just click the video and immediately go to new tab on my computer so wouldn't see any footage.

brap

Banned
Hype killed And Now I know why Polyshit and Guardian like this game

Lmao know I know not to buy it. It's a game for manchildren to pretend like they're not manchildren. "Sex and nudity is like totes icky and gross. Kratos is such a good daddy I'm gonna be like him when I grow up!"

Cleared_Hot

Holy crap I expected good reviews but this is good "the last of us" level reviews. Im excited. Damn dude I haven't dove into a big budget game since Horizon: Zero Dawn so I'm super stoked to geek out for a coups of weeks straight once again.

There have been plenty of examples of this before, yeah. Especially when it comes to these hyped AAA titles. The only thing it has going for it is that I feel the game was relatively on the down low before, so it's actually fairly unexpected it's being pushed this hard (to me at least). Alternatively, the general rule with games journos still applies that they never really dig into games like the more hardcore people do due to time constraints and sometimes, skill level. But we'll see soon enough I guess.

DavidGzz

I've read at least 3 reviews claiming this has the best melee combat ever. If I concur when the game releases combined with a good story, amazing graphics/art style, valuable sidekick, good loot/crafting system, etc. This will be my GoTG. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

I've read at least 3 reviews claiming this has the best melee combat ever.

This is pretty laughable and was clearly written by people who don't even play hack and slash games or have a clue what makes good action. The fact that the attacks are mapped to the shoulder buttons alone shows what a gimmick it is. The axe's functionality is laughable, many battles look like formula fights, the RPG elements add phony depth to a series that didn't need it and don't even get me starts on the lack of a moveset or maneuverability. This is going to be "action lite" which lots of tired plot clichés about father-and-son relationships that we've all seen before.

And of course the reviews will be positive...Sony is promoting the game like crazy and any game that gets hyped this much will get the sales and the reviews because that's how hype works. Had they promoted Ascension this hard it would have gotten good sales and reviews too and no one would be making up stories about how the "series got stale." And the casuals will love the game for the graphics and plot alone while not even caring about the gameplay. Meanwhile the hardcore fans of the series will cry in the corner.

Last edited:

JDTR1992

Neo Member
This is pretty laughable and was clearly written by people who don't even play hack and slash games or have a clue what makes good action. The fact that the attacks are mapped to the shoulder buttons alone shows what a gimmick it is. The axe's functionality is laughable, many battles look like formula fights, the RPG elements add phony depth to a series that didn't need it and don't even get me starts on the lack of a moveset or maneuverability. This is going to be "action lite" which lots of tired plot clichés about father-and-son relationships that we've all seen before.

And of course the reviews will be positive...Sony is promoting the game like crazy and any game that gets hyped this much will get the sales and the reviews because that's how hype works. Had they promoted Ascension this hard it would have gotten good sales and reviews too and no one would be making up stories about how the "series got stale." And the casuals will love the game for the graphics and plot alone while not even caring about the gameplay. Meanwhile the hardcore fans of the series will cry in the corner.
So much salt

DavidGzz

Your opening was all I needed to hear to know that our opinions differ. Using the shoulder buttons is the best way to attack while still having control of the camera. For me, Soulsborne games are the best combat games and they use the shoulder buttons. We'll agree to disagree.

As far as your second points, it has a roll and unless you've seen videos of late game, how do you know what your movesets are as well as additional maneuverability options? There is a skill tree where you unlock other combos. Even the most spoilery video review avoided showing the whole skill tree. Too early to tell how in depth the combat will be so your dismissal of it reeks of hate.

So because Sony is promoting the game they paid off all reviewers? Not sure what you mean. The lowest score it got so far is an 8 which is still great. You sound unreasonable at this point.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Without even knowing how the skill tree plays out here is what we know about combat:
1. Fast and Heavy axe attacks
2. You have two different types of range attacks at all times without having to switch weapons. The axe throw and commanding Atreus with his bow.
3. Unarmed attacks that are even faster and build stun meter.
4. Freezing attacks
5. Shockwave attacks
6. Juggles
7. A throw
8. A push type kick to knock enemies into each other
9. Finishing moves on stunned enemies.

Now add a skill tree that expands on all of that and possibly other secrets. I'm pretty sure there is a magic attack tree as well. Sounds pretty in depth to me! 1 week!

Gediminas

Banned
Your opening was all I needed to hear to know that our opinions differ. Using the shoulder buttons is the best way to attack while still having control of the camera. For me, Soulsborne games are the best combat games and they use the shoulder buttons. We'll agree to disagree.

As far as your second points, it has a roll and unless you've seen videos of late game, how do you know what your movesets are as well as additional maneuverability options? There is a skill tree where you unlock other combos. Even the most spoilery video review avoided showing the whole skill tree. Too early to tell how in depth the combat will be so your dismissal of it reeks of hate.

So because Sony is promoting the game they paid off all reviewers? Not sure what you mean. The lowest score it got so far is an 8 which is still great. You sound unreasonable at this point.

''You sound unreasonable at this point''

it is clearly not suiting his narrative, game is a masterpiece and game of the generation, now he will kneejerk on every little detail. many reviewers stated that gameplay is amazing, even those who were not in ''Sony's'' pocket :)

Last edited:
So much salt
so much salt... i'm not 100% sure where all this hate for these reviewers or this game is coming from. I don't remember seeing this kind of backlash when the Zelda BOTW or Mario reviews were coming out. Were people burned by those reviews? I'm frankly a bit confused. What makes the reviews for this game different from any other game that came before it?

wagrez

Neo Member

do you want a bed to cry at night? we can get it to you.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
GReat score, i was not expecting that.

I read the eurogamer review, it is so pretentitous. These videogame journos the more they try to look pseudo interlectual the more ridiculous they look. At this point any child who likes to play videogames would be a much better reviewer because at least they have genuine passion.
Eurogamer has fallen greatly in the last few years, it’s sad to see.

decisions

Well I'll come to my own conclusion but I just have no idea how the combat can't be a weak point. Like it looks OK. That's it. With the way reviewers are talking about it you would think it's better than DMC3 or something.

Kratos has this weird stutter he does before hitting enemies that to me seems very noticeable, but no one really points out.

I'm definitely interested in playing, but I'm going in with an 8/10 expectation because this just feels like MGSV all over again.

Danjin44

Well I'll come to my own conclusion but I just have no idea how the combat can't be a weak point. Like it looks OK. That's it. With the way reviewers are talking about it you would think it's better than DMC3 or something.

Kratos has this weird stutter he does before hitting enemies that to me seems very noticeable, but no one really points out.

I'm definitely interested in playing, but I'm going in with an 8/10 expectation because this just feels like MGSV all over again.
We have to accept the fact that this game is no longer character action game so you wouldn’t see reviewer comparing the combat to DMC, NG or Bayonetta.

It looks like you've already come to a conclusion... "I just have no idea how the combat can't be a weak point" Going into it, this game is already at a disadvantage. I think it'll have a hard time changing your mind. Maybe wait a couple weeks before you jump in or maybe wait for a sale on the game... cause it could be a waste of money for you.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I'm glad I no longer am a big fan of DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Bayo etc anymore. I can certainly enjoy them but much prefer Dark Souls, Nioh, Bloodborne combat these days. Games don't have to have insanely fast 30 hit combos for me to love them. GoW seems to be more in the vein of Soulsborne just without a stamina meter, and I am stoked to try it!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wasnt hyped for this game due to the dull combat and the son thing. Production values and graphics look great though. I expected 8s and some 9s but 10? Damn. Many reviews praise it for the father/son relationship. Sorry that's not why I play games. No review that I've seen so far mentions the depth of the combat or where the challenge comes from, though they say the game can get hard.

I guess I am spoiled by Japanese games, eg monster Hunter or souls. This god of war really brings nothing new to the table in terms of gameplay - it's pretty and we'll done, and comes from a famous Sony studio - guess that's what gets you a 10 these days. Uncharted 4 was the same, fun for 5 hours, and then you were just waiting for this interactive movie to end. At any rate, I watched the Easy Allies review and the game seems like it might be worth getting, mostly because they mention a good difficulty and the good loot hidden behind tough encounters.

As an aside, this reminds me of black panther. It was an OK movie, but for political reasons it was praised to high heavens. I guess the best way to guage a game these days is find a reviewer that aligns with your philisophy on games and see what they think. Avoid the hype train because so far for people like me its been off (notable examples are uncharted 4 and horizon, good games, but certainly not the masterpieces ppl claimed). The only game that I think is a masterpiece this gen is bloodborne. MH World a close second.

Or maybe you thought Black Panther was just ok, because of YOUR PERSONAL political views. I thought it was a great movie.

Danjin44

I hate this term so much and I can't quite explain why. In my day these were called beat em ups or hack n slash depending on how much weapons use there is.
Call them what you want, but my point is this new God of War no longer can be considered "hack n slash", base some reviews this new God of War plays more like action RPG.
haven't play the game yet so maybe once I play it I might fall in love with the combat but I cant help to be disappointed buy this change of genres. These days we have tons and tons of action RPG but we barely have any hack n slash especially in western side. GOW series was last few western hack n slash we have left but now even that series turn in to action RPG because that whats popular these days.

Awesome review scores. Not reading, listening or watching any of them though. Can't wait to pick up my Stone mason edition on 5/20.

God of War [OT]: Ward of God.

demigod

Call them what you want, but my point is this new God of War no longer can be considered "hack n slash", base some reviews this new God of War plays more like action RPG.
haven't play the game yet so maybe once I play it I might fall in love with the combat but I cant help to be disappointed buy this change of genres. These days we have tons and tons of action RPG but we barely have any hack n slash especially in western side. GOW series was last few western hack n slash we have left but now even that series turn in to action RPG because that whats popular these days.

Maybe Sony should get Ready At Dawn to come back and make another God of War hack and slash for the fans.

I really want to love it because of how much I love the franchise in general, but the change in tone (from the very limited amount I've seen) was off-putting to someone who came to love psycho rage-machine Kratos. I know he's a shallow, despicable character, but I thought there was such a congruence between the character the interactive/gaming portion. Kill. Kill them ALL. It was pure in what it was, and I found that compelling.

I'm not saying this one can't be good while being different, and obviously it seems to have garnered a great deal of praise, but I just hope it clicks for me. Maybe the old Kratos will emerge, but I won't spoil myself to find out before playing it.

Hm. I have to admit I've had zero interest in this all throughout development (I felt like I was done with the series - couldn't even finish Ascension).

But these reviews have me intrigued. Probably won't buy it at launch, though.

Last edited:
God of War [OT] Critics finally got there Soul's Easy Mode
or
God of War |OT2| The Beard Of Us
I like...I really like this one.

I've read at least 3 reviews claiming this has the best melee combat ever. If I concur when the game releases combined with a good story, amazing graphics/art style, valuable sidekick, good loot/crafting system, etc. This will be my GoTG. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
Are they good reviewers? Some reviewers told me DmC combat was better than 3's. That was a damn lie! Some reviewers also didn't know you could even dodge without the trickster style in 3.

Gotta follow trends. How can your game be fresh if it's unique?
vzbdY.gif

Based on some following posts, I think I will add I'm just joking around. :p

Last edited:

Neolombax

Surprised to see such saltiness for a game that has not been released for the public yet. I'm personally excited to play this game too see the father-son dynamic.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Surprised to see such saltiness for a game that has not been released for the public yet. I'm personally excited to play this game too see the father-son dynamic.

Reminds me of this:
hqdefault.jpg

On one hand (head) it's awesome to see. Then there's that uncertainty lingering from its popularity.

I'm excited. It made me wish we all had a press copy. I feel like there are a lot of people playing this game while the rest of us sit it out for another week. :(

Last edited:

Neolombax

Reminds me of this:
hqdefault.jpg

On one hand (head) it's awesome to see. Then there's that uncertainty lingering from its popularity.

I'm excited. It made me wish we all had a press copy. I feel like there are a lot of people playing this game while the rest of us sit it out for another week. :(

That's the thing with early reviews. Sometimes I do wish that reviews only come out on the same day as the game release. I tend to appreciate actual player feedback from forums and such. GTAIV and to a certain extent Ni No Kuni 2 was an example where the game got amazing reviews, but it turned out to be a bland experience for me personally, and only to find out later that other players also feel the same way.

I think I'm going to wait a while before purchasing this game. I've got Far Cry 5 and Ni No Kuni 2 (sigh) to finish anyway.

Danjin44

That's the thing with early reviews. Sometimes I do wish that reviews only come out on the same day as the game release. I tend to appreciate actual player feedback from forums and such. GTAIV and to a certain extent Ni No Kuni 2 was an example where the game got amazing reviews, but it turned out to be a bland experience for me personally, and only to find out later that other players also feel the same way.

I think I'm going to wait a while before purchasing this game. I've got Far Cry 5 and Ni No Kuni 2 (sigh) to finish anyway.
Maybe just don’t look at overall score and instead listen or read the review to see what reviewer like or dislike about the game. I mean Far Cry 5 is getting lot of good score but I know it’s not type I would enjoy.

Edit: sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy Ni no Kuni 2, I personally really enjoyed my time with it.

Top Bottom