• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - Review Thread

Manus

I'm still blown away by the lack of blood. Sigh I guess we will never have a game like God of War 3 again.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The Dark Souls of reboots.
Why people calling this "reboot"? Are they talking about in terms of the gameplay or the story? I know the story is not reboot because Kratos still has his old scars from pervious games like:
The scar in his stomach when Zuse stabbed him with Blade Olympus and even has chain marks from his blades.

Why people calling this "reboot"? Are they talking about in terms of the gameplay or the story? I know the story is not reboot because Kratos still has his old scars from pervious games like:
The scar in his stomach when Zuse stabbed him with Blade Olympus and even has chain marks from his blades.
I think they're talking about how it's new gameplay, and the game is simply called God of War, no numbers or subtitles. I would call it a soft reboot as it's technically a sequel but starts a new Norse themed story, and is deliberately designed so first time players can jump right in without any prior knowledge, or so it seems.
sFynnvF.jpg

xviper

i'm honestly surprised, i thought it would be 87

94 is kinda too much, the game doesn't look like a 94, unless they are hiding too much and only showed us the bad parts in the trailers

Last edited:

nowhat

i'm honestly surprised, i though it would be 87

94 is kinda too much, the game doesn't look like a 94, unless they are hiding too much and only showed us the bad parts in the trailers
TIL one cannot judge a game by trailers...

Last edited:

xviper

TIL one cannot judge a game by trailers...
i'm gonna buy the game no doubt because i love GOW series, it's my favorite hack and slash series

but a 94 in this generation is too much, the game has to be a masterpiece to reach that, unless it's a nintendo game then it's understandable because reviewers go easy on nintendo( apart from Zelda because it deserves it)

i think the reviewers have exaggerated with the scores, God of War 3 which was really amazing, got a 92
at the start of this generation, reviewers were harsh and they didn't give high scores easily, Witcher 3 got 92 and it's considered one of the greatest games of all time, if not the greatest, and then 2 years later we get games like Persona 5 which scored 93. i mean come on, it's obvious that reviewers have gone soft, at this rate, TLOU 2 might score 98 or 97 even if it's worse than TLOU 1

eventually i'll play the game and see if it actually deserves the scores that surpassed Witcher 3, MGS V and Bloodborne (highly doubt it)

Last edited:

nowhat

but a 94 in this generation is too much, the game has to be a masterpiece to reach that, unless it's a nintendo game then it's understandable because reviewers go easy on nintendo( apart from Zelda because it deserves it)
And you know it is too much, since you've played the game, right? I mean, who knows, this might be greatest thing ever. Or not. But saying a score is too much without having played it just seems illogical at best. Agreed on Nintendo though (but disagreed on Zelda or BotW rather, it just hasn't really sucked me in and I doubt it will).

Danjin44

i'm gonna buy the game no doubt because i love GOW series, it's my favorite hack and slash series

i think the reviewers have exaggerated with the scores, God of War 3 which was really amazing, got a 92
at the start of this generation, reviewers were harsh and they didn't give high scores easily, Witcher 3 got 92 and it's considered one of the greatest games of all time, if not the greatest, and then 2 years later we get games like Persona 5 which scored 93. i mean come on, it's obvious that reviewers have gone soft, at this rate, TLOU 2 might score 98 or 97 even if it's worse than TLOU 1

eventually i'll play the game and see if it actually deserves the scores that surpassed Witcher 3, MGS V and Bloodborne (highly doubt it)
What about people who don’t considers Witcher 3 as “masterpiece”? You say reviewer being soft on game like Persona 5 why? Because you didn’t enjoy the game as much as others? No offence but I find this type argument pointless because at end of the day each people like different things. To me I found games like NieR Automata and Persona 5 as masterpiece while I find games Witcher 3 nothing special while other considers Witcher 3 as masterpiece while the find games like Persona or NieR nothing special. Who’s right and who’s wrong? The answer is no one.

Tomeru

So much for logic.

Cato

Banned
What about people who don’t considers Witcher 3 as “masterpiece”? You say reviewer being soft on game like Persona 5 why? Because you didn’t enjoy the game as much as others? No offence but I find this type argument pointless because at end of the day each people like different things. To me I found games like NieR Automata and Persona 5 as masterpiece while I find games Witcher 3 nothing special while other considers Witcher 3 as masterpiece while the find games like Persona or NieR nothing special. Who’s right and who’s wrong? The answer is no one.

I think I am on your side.
I completed W3 twice, so I could platinum it.
It is a very good game and very entertaining. But it is shallow and have several game breaking mechanics. Nevertheless it is a good and entertaining game.

Masterpiece it is not.

Nier is. I still ponder the fundamental questions it asks of you, for example what makes you human.

Danjin44

I think I am on your side.
I completed W3 twice, so I could platinum it.
It is a very good game and very entertaining. But it is shallow and have several game breaking mechanics. Nevertheless it is a good and entertaining game.

Masterpiece it is not.

Nier is. I still ponder the fundamental questions it asks of you, for example what makes you human.
And yet there are people who don't considere Nier "masterpiece" and their opinion is not wrong as much as I LOVE NieR and considered it as "Masterpiece" the game has flaws, flaws that can turn some people off. One thing people need to understand is a game being masterpiece doesn't mean it's perfect. Its means you enjoy it so much that despite it's flaws you still considere that game masterpiece.

Last edited:

FranXico

Many people not happy it got good reviews cause they reckon it doesnt deserve it.

Yet they havent played it?

This always happens with first party console exclusives. People want to defend their flag, so to speak.

Just separate legitimate criticism from the rest, ignore the noise.

Last edited:

daibaron

Banned

Even saying that the Witcher 3 is the greatest rpg of all time is too much. The game is beautiful, huge in scope but the combat is boring, the story is only good not great and the characters lack charisma. I really enjoyed the love triangle and played the game for months, when i finished it i even felt a bit of emptiness because it was such a long journey.

But games like fallout 2, baldurs gate 1-2, planescape torment, divinity 1-2 are on a higher level than the witcher 3.

GoW can be considered a masterpiece just because of its graphics even if the rest of it is just good. Everybody is going crazy about it until a better one comes along. It is always like that with videogames, better graphics means a better game.

Dunki

Many people not happy it got good reviews cause they reckon it doesnt deserve it.

Yet they havent played it?
because it has compeltly changed the game they loved before. So it is just natural to be sceptical. And as I said before. Many gamer do not trust games journalism anymore.

mcz117chief

The Order 1886 would like to have a word with you.
But Order 1886 is a fine game. It has it's downsides, like all other games, but once people got over their hate-boners they enjoyed it. I don't know what people expected from a studio that made mostly PSP games but I was satisfied.

nowhat

Seems like performance mode is the way to go for us pro owners.
According to DF (only read the article, apparently there are spoilers in the analysis video so watch with caution), in performance mode "frame-rate averages in the mid to upper 40s most of the time during any skirmish while some of the quieter moments can jump up to or around 60fps". So basically, very variable unlocked frame rate. I'll rather have a locked 30 with the occasional drop, but it's good that the option is there for those who prefer unlocked.

nowhat

But Order 1886 is a fine game. It has it's downsides, like all other games, but once people got over their hate-boners they enjoyed it. I don't know what people expected from a studio that made mostly PSP games but I was satisfied.
Perhaps my hate-boner is a raging one for that game, but when I sold off my PS4 when upgrading to a Pro and included some games to sweeten the deal, The Order was the first to go, it didn't even merit a consideration. Having finished it once I have no desire to play it again (or have enthusiasm for a possible sequel).

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Perhaps my hate-boner is a raging one for that game, but when I sold off my PS4 when upgrading to a Pro and included some games to sweeten the deal, The Order was the first to go, it didn't even merit a consideration. Having finished it once I have no desire to play it again (or have enthusiasm for a possible sequel).
I understand why you wouldn't want to play it again, it is, after all, a mediocre interactive movie, but I had fun with it (a 6,5 game I suppose). I still have it though and I would like to see a sequel.

Dunki

I understand why you wouldn't want to play it again, it is, after all, a mediocre interactive movie, but I had fun with it (a 6,5 game I suppose). I still have it though and I would like to see a sequel.
Wouldnt that conflict with your other thread about violence? If I remember coreectly the animations were really life like and the kills you could do including shooting of arms etc would also not make this game more comfortable for you.

As for the game. I actually enjoyed it but just like any other game I would not play it twice. I can not even remember when I placed a game twice since I only play games for the story.

Alphagear

because it has compeltly changed the game they loved before. So it is just natural to be sceptical. And as I said before. Many gamer do not trust games journalism anymore.

For the good if you ask me. God of war needed change just like Zelda did. The series was becoming stale and dated ever since I played GOW Ascension.

Remember people complaining about FF12 when it was released saying it has changed and we want turn based battles back. I personally loved it and the series should have remained on that path.

Instead we got square enix listening to the complaints and got FF13.

If youre not sure about it, just wait a few months till it gets cheaper then give it a go.

Ar¢tos

But Order 1886 is a fine demo. It has it's downsides, like all other games, but once people got over their hate-boners they enjoyed it. I don't know what people expected from a studio that made mostly PSP games but I was satisfied.
FTFY

Most likely there will be a day one patch (and many patches in the future, like Horizon) to polish the game and framerate even more.

DonF

According to DF (only read the article, apparently there are spoilers in the analysis video so watch with caution), in performance mode "frame-rate averages in the mid to upper 40s most of the time during any skirmish while some of the quieter moments can jump up to or around 60fps". So basically, very variable unlocked frame rate. I'll rather have a locked 30 with the occasional drop, but it's good that the option is there for those who prefer unlocked.
In authentic god of war tradition!

Manus

I could careless of the scores it's getting. It's just the words these journalists use just seems cringey and super fanboyish. Which to me screams that it is over rated, but time will tell since we will play this in just a week.

Kagero

God of War [OT] Don't make me axe you again

God of War [OT] Poppin trolls and Pop'n kids

God of War [OT] I cry when I'm angry

I dunno

xviper

i know that people like different things, but if we are going with your logic, some people liked games like The order 1886 and Knack, why aren't they in the 90+ ??

it's an insult to The Witcher 3 to compare games like Nier and persona 5 to it, in fact, Nier 2 is one of the biggest traps i got into in this generation, i bought it due to the insane hype, and i didn't enjoy it at all, i hated the shit out of it, i know that a lot people liked it, but it's scores is where it belongs or might be a little higher (88), i know that i haven't played GOW 4 yet, but i'm positive that it doesn't deserve a higher score than Witcher 3, in fact, no game in this generation or in the last decade deserves a higher score than Witcher 3 ( Demon's souls and BOTW are very close though)

all i'm trying to say is that reviewers have gone soft in the last two years, they give high scores to any game now, the 90+ has lost it's spark, wait for Days gone, i'm sure it's gonna stink and yet you will see it score 88+

Last edited:

nowhat

it's an insult to The Witcher 3 to compare games like Nier and persona 5 to it, in fact, Nier 2 is one of the biggest traps i got into in this generation, i bought it due to the insane hype, and i didn't enjoy it at all, i hated the shit out of it, i know that a lot people liked it, but it's scores is where it belongs or might be a little higher (88), i know that i haven't played GOW 4 yet, but i'm positive that it doesn't deserve a higher score than Witcher 3, in fact, no game in this generation or in the last decade deserves a higher score than Witcher 3 ( Demon's souls and BOTW are very close though)
It might help if you looked up what "subjective" means (reviews are inherently that, as are your opinions).

RedVIper

Banned
It might help if you looked up what "subjective" means (reviews are inherently that, as are your opinions).

You can objectively rate something though. I can play Nier (Going with the example form the guy before) not enjoy it and acknowledge the things it does well, give a good score and still recommend it, professional reviews shouldn't be so subjective in my opinion. At the same time, I can play Witcher 3, say it's a masterpiece, and acknowledge the combat sucks (Also the controls).

I disagree that Witcher 3 is the game of the generation, but I still think it's an amazing game and i really don't understand when people simply say a game(Or movie, or wtv) is bad "because they didnt like it", you need to have the ability to say if something is good or bad, despite your own enjoyment of said thing. (You can love a game and still realize it's bad and enjoy it nonetheless).

Now for GOW, I am a bit skeptical of these reviews, first to whoever said the game had the best melee combat of any game, really? Better than nioh or bloodborne? I doubt it.
Second, the game seems to be stroking the same vibes that the last of us did, and most other games now try to imitate. From the change to the camera, to the sidekick, idk it just seems like the equivalent of of Oscar bait for gaming, something that wows you with amazing cinematics and doesn't try anything risky, so you only realize it has no substance after a while(Cough uncharted cough)

I hope I'm wrong, I hope it's a great game(it will definitely atleast be a good game) but from everything I've seen so far it it doesn't deserve a 94.

Skyr

i know that people like different things, but if we are going with your logic, some people liked games like The order 1886 and Knack, why aren't they in the 90+ ??

all i'm trying to say is that reviewers have gone soft in the last two years, they give high scores to any game now, the 90+ has lost it's spark, wait for Days gone, i'm sure it's gonna stink and yet you will see it score 88+

What the hell is your point dude?

You are trying to argue that your subjective opinion stands above the consensus of all reviewers.

There is nothing to argue about a metacritic score.
You can criticize an individiual review but trying to argue a general consensus of 50+ reviews makes you look pretty stupid and in denial.

Especially for GOW, which you didn't even play for one minute.
Yet you are arguing that it doesn't deserve a 90+ score.

But everybody besides you has gone "soft" right?

Dunki

What the hell is your point dude?

You are trying to argue that your subjective opinion stands above the consensus of all reviewers.

There is nothing to argue about a metacritic score.
You can criticize an individiual review but trying to argue a general consensus of 50+ reviews makes you look pretty stupid and in denial.

Especially for GOW, which you didn't even play for one minute.
Yet you are arguing that it doesn't deserve a 90+ score.

But everybody besides you has gone "soft" right?
Actually you can since unlike opencritic metacritic does not see every review as equal and uses a unknown metric for every site in their formula.

nowhat

You can objectively rate something though
Oh sure. When it comes to rating games for example, I can say that the physical copy came in packaging that matches the physical dimensions of a DVD case. Or what DF/VG Tech do, technical analysis is fundamentally objective. However...

I can play Nier (Going with the example form the guy before) not enjoy it and acknowledge the things it does well, give a good score and still recommend it, professional reviews shouldn't be so subjective in my opinion. At the same time, I can play Witcher 3, say it's a masterpiece, and acknowledge the combat sucks (Also the controls).
So, I cannot play NieR and say it's a masterpiece, while acknowledging its faults? Who gets to decide what can be called a masterpiece?

I disagree that Witcher 3 is the game of the generation, but I still think it's an amazing game and i really don't understand when people simply say a game(Or movie, or wtv) is bad "because they didnt like it", you need to have the ability to say if something is good or bad, despite your own enjoyment of said thing. (You can love a game and still realize it's bad and enjoy it nonetheless).
Maybe it's just me, but I feel that qualifying something as good or bad is very much subjective. A contrived example: a reviewer has basically no skill playing video games whatsoever. All he can do is press a button, badly at that. The game requires pressing a single button, with no regard to the timing. According to the reviewer, the gameplay is the best ever. So according to the reviewer, very good. According to you, I guess not?

Which brings me back to the original point. All reviews (when reviewing aspects of a game that are not measurable) are subjective. You may argue that people in general should feel more like you do - that's a different topic (preferably in the off-topic section).

Last edited:

Skyr

Actually you can since unlike opencritic metacritic does not see every review as equal and uses a unknown metric for every site in their formula.

Sure, that's a valid point.

Let's assume tho that this formula/weighting is reasonably competent.
Then the individual titles are still measured on the same scale and are comparable.
If they would constantly change the weighting, it would be a problem idd.

Last edited:

Dunki

Sure, that's a valid point.

Let's assume tho that this formula/weighting is reasonably competent.
Then the individual titles are still measured on the same scale and are comparable.
If they would constantly change the weighting, it would be a problem idd.

The problem is that we do not know it could most favorites, most clicks etc. It could also be on specific people which would be really fucked up. These days I trust opencritic way more since they are also very transparent about their systems. But even they they are very close for most games. I just wish metacritic would ignore these obviously click bait scores.

Last edited:
I've added the Digital Foundry video to the OP, as mentioned above it may contain spoilers so be wary.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-god-of-war-tech-analysis

Oh man, I can't wait to play this game now. I recently upgraded to a ps4pro even though I only have a 1080p tv. My base ps4 sounded like a jet engine on games like UC4 and HZD but the new pro is completely silent so far. The improved performance and reseolution on most games is still great too even without 4k.

I was tired of the God of War gameplay after 2 but I love the story and atmosphere. I am so glad they decided to copy the soulsborne style of combat for the reboot. That along with the Norse mythology really seem to have made this a special game. TLOU was my GOTG last gen and I am hoping that this game may finally surpass it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom