• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - Review Thread

EDMIX

I really don't want to get too off topic, but it's really the storytelling in Horizon that keeps it interesting. I kept wanting to know more about what happened to the world, wanting to know more about Aloy's origin, and that kept me playing the game. I thought the whole machine taking over the world part is an interesting point, but it is really how they lead you on that makes it great.

I have a good feeling that the storytelling in God of War is going to be quite the same where we start to figure out what happened to the old world and how Kratos got there.

Agreed 100%

Blood Borne

It's good to have doubts but going by the reviews it sounds better than all of those. Bloodborne is my current GoTG but I can see GoW surpassing it. I'm not going to start quoting people because I'm sure people will just say, "who is that?" "who cares what he thinks he gave this game this." so on and so forth. I've seen people calling it the GoTG, one calling it his favorite game ever, etc. I've never seen the amount of praise this game as gotten ever before.
Better than Bloodborne? That's seems highly unlikely. But I hope so.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Currently replaying the franchise before the release of the game. I cannot wait to see how Kratos has changed in the years (possibly decades or centuries?) between 3 and 2018.

redfox088

Banned
Yea....don’t listen to the Official Norse Myth podcast guys.....I’m thinking going in fresh would have been better....

You can objectively rate something though. I can play Nier (Going with the example form the guy before) not enjoy it and acknowledge the things it does well, give a good score and still recommend it, professional reviews shouldn't be so subjective in my opinion. At the same time, I can play Witcher 3, say it's a masterpiece, and acknowledge the combat sucks (Also the controls).

I disagree that Witcher 3 is the game of the generation, but I still think it's an amazing game and i really don't understand when people simply say a game(Or movie, or wtv) is bad "because they didnt like it", you need to have the ability to say if something is good or bad, despite your own enjoyment of said thing. (You can love a game and still realize it's bad and enjoy it nonetheless).

Now for GOW, I am a bit skeptical of these reviews, first to whoever said the game had the best melee combat of any game, really? Better than nioh or bloodborne? I doubt it.
Second, the game seems to be stroking the same vibes that the last of us did, and most other games now try to imitate. From the change to the camera, to the sidekick, idk it just seems like the equivalent of of Oscar bait for gaming, something that wows you with amazing cinematics and doesn't try anything risky, so you only realize it has no substance after a while(Cough uncharted cough)

I hope I'm wrong, I hope it's a great game(it will definitely atleast be a good game) but from everything I've seen so far it it doesn't deserve a 94.

You’d probably find it unfair or even illogical for someone to dismiss what you just said.

Yet all of your impressions of the game, since you haven’t even played it, are far less informed that the reviewers, you seem to feel comfortable dismissing.

I’m not saying the game is amazing because it’s receiving (literally) universal critical praise (the lowest score I’ve seen so far is 8/10). What I am saying is that the only way to know if you agree or disagree with them is to play the game and then make up your own mind.

What is the point of deciding either way before trying it?

Is the combat better, for you, than Nioh or Bloodborne? Possibly. Why be so skeptical. Before either of those games came along you probably had a different favourite combat system. The only way to discover that Bloodborne was the new champion was to try it out with an open mind and decide for yourself.

I often tell people skeptical of high Metacritic averages, who say stuff like “just because a game scores over 85 on Metacritic doesn’t mean it’s a good game” that while you might not personally love every 85+ game, I’m willing to guess that most games in your top 10, score an average over 85.

Which is to say, you won’t love all loved games, but all the games you love, will likey be loved games.

zelhawks37

Glad this game is living up to the hype. I'll definitely pick this up and it will be first game in the series that I have played too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Glad this game is living up to the hype. I'll definitely pick this up and it will be first game in the series that I have played too.
You don't need play pervious games to undrestand core story of this new one but I would say watch some story videos of pervious GOW games to see what he was like. I think it will give you much better understanding of Kratos as a character if you know his past. Despite people keep calling this "reboot" his still same person from pervious games, you could even say this sequel to GOW 3.

Petrae

As soon as the comparison between God of War and Dark Souls was made, I was out.

I don’t have the boner for Soulsbourne games that 95% of players do— I don’t play games for their extreme difficulty, learning curve, or exceptional challenge. I play to enjoy myself, and if they’re crushingly hard... I stop playing and never go back.

I unabashedly play games on Easy mode, including the God of War games. I like being overpowered, with the occasional challenge here and there. In my busy life as an adult, I don’t have time to replay the same level or boss fight twenty times, either.

As with the Soulsbourne games, I’m not angry that God of War isn’t my thing. I would’ve bought it had the combat remained the same as its predecessors, but I have plenty of other games to keep me busy without this one.

zelhawks37

You don't need play pervious games to undrestand core story of this new one but I would say watch some story videos of pervious GOW games to see what he was like. I think it will give you much better understanding of Kratos as a character if you know his past. Despite people keep calling this "reboot" his still same person from pervious games, you could even say this sequel to GOW 3.

Okay good to know. Thanks!

WaterAstro

When Amazon sells out...

vQzQBsD.jpg

Lt. Sweet Jones

Neo Member
Tell me, I'm assuming there's definitely no "sex mini game" but is there at least still titillating nudity? That Aphrodite sequence in 3 was hot as fuck, virtual boobies is just part of the fun of this series to me and I wanna see what PS4 rendered boobies look like, if we can't have that because of political correctness it makes me not even want to play it.

Bro, how old are you?

LordOfChaos

I've been playing GoW 3 in preparation for this, but I have to say I'm not super into the fixed camera QTE style gameplay where I've often found parts where it's unclear what the developer wants you to do so you keep dying until you get it.

4 doesn't really look like that though, seems more of an open movement world, am I right in assuming that it's fundamentally different and I may enjoy it more than 3?

Kagero

Oh man that sucks. I've had it pre-ordered for a few weeks now. This series has always been a day 1 for me
Crazy, but I've had this pre-ordered since June 2016 when it was announced. Got it during one of those E3 deals for 48$ Crazy that it's finally coming out.

I've been playing GoW 3 in preparation for this, but I have to say I'm not super into the fixed camera QTE style gameplay where I've often found parts where it's unclear what the developer wants you to do so you keep dying until you get it.

4 doesn't really look like that though, seems more of an open movement world, am I right in assuming that it's fundamentally different and I may enjoy it more than 3?
Yes, behind the shoulder camera, using the shoulder buttons for attack so you attack and control the camera at the same time, world seems to be more Souls like from some descriptions (I think some said there is optional paths), and QTE's are gone, closest things to a QTE was when Kratos did the grab and you have to hit R1/R2 to punch it in the face repeatedly, most grabs I've seen are just non interactive beatdown kills.

JangoRain

As soon as the comparison between God of War and Dark Souls was made, I was out.

I don’t have the boner for Soulsbourne games that 95% of players do— I don’t play games for their extreme difficulty, learning curve, or exceptional challenge. I play to enjoy myself, and if they’re crushingly hard... I stop playing and never go back.

I unabashedly play games on Easy mode, including the God of War games. I like being overpowered, with the occasional challenge here and there. In my busy life as an adult, I don’t have time to replay the same level or boss fight twenty times, either.

As with the Soulsbourne games, I’m not angry that God of War isn’t my thing. I would’ve bought it had the combat remained the same as its predecessors, but I have plenty of other games to keep me busy without this one.

There’s multiple difficulty levels though, unlike souls games. From what I’m hearing the hardest difficulty is where it gets real, and the lowest is a cake walk.

Danjin44

Explains that he doesn't want to show too much and proceeds to show too much :( Sigh.
Its video review, what did you expect? Again you can just click the video and open new tap so you can only listen to it instead watching the video and ACG review's doesn't have any scores so there is no reason to watch the video if you don't want to see any spoilers.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hype is killing me. I keep watching reviews and spoiling details. I need to stop.

You could use something like Keyword Blocker and block YouTube videos that feature God of War reviews. :) haha

I watched Happyconsolegamer's spoiler free review and it was good. Except I turned away for a few of the shots. It's best to just listen to them, like other members have mentioned.

Last edited:

Danjin44

One of my biggest worry when they first show the first gameplay footages is when fighting one enemy other enemies will just stand there until you are done but base on reviews that I listened and read I'm glad to see thats not the case and they have nice number different type of enemies which makes me very happy. This means just like pervious games I have to decide which enemy I should go after first and which enemy I should use my Axe to freeze them. I was skeptical at first and still am a little but I'm starting to get excited for this game.

Bandi

Banned
Well, let's see... After Horizon getting so many good reviews and then being such a massive disappointment, I hope that this is not the case for this game.

Ragnaroz

Greek mythology was drained, roman mythology is basically the same with different names. Where else would he go? Shinto mythology is too different for it to make any sense. Norse was the only viable option.
I'd prefer Egyptian, but that might just be me.

Orpheum

God damnit i hope they still have copies available at the store this friday...i didn't pre order on amazon since the delivery service isn't allowed to put games which are rated FSK 18 in the mailbox if you aren't home upon delivery :(

nowhat

God damnit i hope they still have copies available at the store this friday...i didn't pre order on amazon since the delivery service isn't allowed to put games which are rated FSK 18 in the mailbox if you aren't home upon delivery :(
...what country is this? Here in .fi you may need to enter your age/birthday when making a purchase (depending on the retailer), but once it's shipped it'll arrive directly to your mailbox (or a "package dispenser" if you're so inclined). Having to be physically present for such a minor delivery seems quite backwards.

Masatshi

there is an "easy" difficulty option called "give me a story"... that one is very easy, trust me! I've been playing all weekend!

Ar¢tos

Am I the only who wants to start with the hardest difficult from the beginning?
I was thinking about it, since i have more than 1000h of "soulsborne" experience, but after reading the changes in behaviour of enemies, i'll play the game on hard first to learn how the basic enemy AI reacts, then i'll try the hardest difficulty.

Bergoglio

I was thinking about it, since i have more than 1000h of "soulsborne" experience, but after reading the changes in behaviour of enemies, i'll play the game on hard first to learn how the basic enemy AI reacts, then i'll try the hardest difficulty.
Oh really? Do you have some examples pls

Ar¢tos

Oh really? Do you have some examples pls
From what I've read in some reviews/articles , on the hardest mode enemies attack in pairs, try to flank you and are clever to no attack during iframes, they wait until you finish the current action. On top of that they do more dmg and have more hp and you do less dmg than other difficulties.
I assume that easy/normal/hard only changes their hp/dmg and your dmg/def, but their AI stays the same.

Valonquar

I'm glad to see more BOTW vs Horizon comparisons shitting up another game's thread. Maybe after the Norse Pantheon is played out, Kratos can have a game where he kills the main characters of other franchises.

Last edited:

nowhat

I'm glad to see more BOTW vs Horizon comparisons shitting up another game's thread.
It's such a dead horse, but people just keep on beating. Two very different games, the only similarities really are that both are open-world games (although approach it differently) and were released around the same time.

Orpheum

...what country is this? Here in .fi you may need to enter your age/birthday when making a purchase (depending on the retailer), but once it's shipped it'll arrive directly to your mailbox (or a "package dispenser" if you're so inclined). Having to be physically present for such a minor delivery seems quite backwards.

Germany. And yeah it's extremely stupid. they have my ID data and know i live by myself so there's no reason for this nonsense.

Bönthö

Neo Member
yeah, me too. I think its another overhyped/overrated ps4 exclusive game... I got burned after horizon..

I just don't get your negativity. The game hasn't even released yet. It's not like you necessarily have to like it, but it has garnered basically unanimous acclaim with a 95 metacritic from 85 different video game journos. This isn't "overhype" anymore, it just seems to be a very well made game. If you don't like the genre, that's fine, but since you hang around in a forum like this could you at least show some appreciation to one of the best reviewed game of this generation and play it first, before dragging it down with no basis whatsoever.

Bad reviews
"This game is awful I'm not buying it."

Great reviews
"I don't believe the reviews, game must be bad."

I don't know how creators do it in this day and age, negativity everywhere.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
I just don't get your negativity. The game hasn't even released yet. It's not like you necessarily have to like it, but it has garnered basically unanimous acclaim with a 95 metacritic from 85 different video game journos. This isn't "overhype" anymore, it just seems to be a very well made game. If you don't like the genre, that's fine, but since you hang around in a forum like this could you at least show some appreciation to one of the best reviewed game of this generation and play it first, before dragging it down with no basis whatsoever.

I don’t really see a problem with being skeptical of reviews in this day and age. It’s no secret that games journalism has been a joke for the better part of the last ten years, never mind the last five.

I’m trying not to be too negative about the game myself (even though it sounds more like a hodgepodge of modern game design cliches borrowing the name of an estsablished franchise to boost selling power). If it gets positive buzz from real people after this Friday I’ll definitely redbox it at the very least.

Top Bottom