• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - Review Thread

demigod

Well, let's see... After Horizon getting so many good reviews and then being such a massive disappointment, I hope that this is not the case for this game.

Joined Dec 19, 2016 and this is your first post? You sound like a shill.

Canceled my preorder that had the Visa promotion, getting the Mason's CE now, damn you Sony!

BRUH! Come on man.....

I just like what it does with the idea of the aftermath of the end of the world way better. In Horizon, you play as science Jesus and the character feels unrealistically kind and loving and good at everything she does. BOTW puts you in the shoe of a supporting character that failed and it deals with the psychological pressure of living with this weight. In Horizon,
Elizabeth's logs sound almost happy and giddy like she's going to Disney instead of facing a robot army of death, you only know that she was facing the end of the world and the death of billions because the game tell you so.
while in BOTW
Zelda breaks down in crazy tears because she's not good enough for her destiny and the game ends with her smiling because this was finally over with.

Don't get me started on the dialogues and in the god awful logs you find in Horizon. There was one log of a pro-corporation talk show that still gives me nightmares. It's about as cringy as googling Sonic and inflation.

Dunki

Colins Last Stand GOW Review. He seems to really like it even though he has a few minor gripes with it in the end^^

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just like what it does with the idea of the aftermath of the end of the world way better. In Horizon, you play as science Jesus and the character feels unrealistically kind and loving and good at everything she does. BOTW puts you in the shoe of a supporting character that failed and it deals with the psychological pressure of living with this weight. In Horizon,
Elizabeth's logs sound almost happy and giddy like she's going to Disney instead of facing a robot army of death, you only know that she was facing the end of the world and the death of billions because the game tell you so.
while in BOTW
Zelda breaks down in crazy tears because she's not good enough for her destiny and the game ends with her smiling because this was finally over with.

Don't get me started on the dialogues and in the god awful logs you find in Horizon. There was one log of a pro-corporation talk show that still gives me nightmares. It's about as cringy as googling Sonic and inflation.
Also don't forget that cringy dialogue of
Sylens wasting time explaining why Aloy asking his name instead of just telling his name and be done with it.

Bryank75

Banned
while in BOTW

As I am currently playing through BOTW and nearly have the platinum for Horizon, I have a few opinions of my own about the two...
While I agree about the audio logs and that they are a poor way to deliver insight into the past events... I didn't feel the 'happiness' in Elizabeth's logs though.
Horizon is a new IP, they had to build a completely new world, people, culture, story with overarching plot and subplots, characters, ecology and of course the robots. All this while going from fps's to their first RPG.
I think what they did was an incredible feat and the way in which they explained the robots was brilliant... I think Rost could have been used more effectively and had a greater emotional impact. He was hardly mentioned later in the game, like he hardly mattered and for me that was sad as I found him quite endearing.

Meanwhile, I have found Zelda engaging on a mechanics level primarily, that and the obsessive hunt for upgrades and gear are it's strengths. It does however have many substantial flaws in my opinion... There is no sense of urgency and a dissonance between your situation and the freedom you enjoy. The voice acting is laughably bad and I honestly couldn't take any of the characters seriously, not to mind get emotionally invested.
When not voice acted, you are just scrolling through text which is for me the equivalent of the logs in Horizon. The heroes of the 4 beasts are encountered briefly and really don't have the chance to be emotionally impactful, that has to be earned and BOTW doesn't even try.
I won't go into controls and breakable weapons cause that's kinda beside the point. Link is just as prodigious as Aloy, so I think your point about that is a little hypocritical ...

I think both have a lot to offer and feel it's highly disingenuous to crap on Horizon, as has become common for Nintendo fans recently. I was a huge Nintendo fan up to the Gamecube but I have to say many have become arrogant, condescending zealots.

Bönthö

Neo Member
I don’t really see a problem with being skeptical of reviews in this day and age. It’s no secret that games journalism has been a joke for the better part of the last ten years, never mind the last five.

I’m trying not to be too negative about the game myself (even though it sounds more like a hodgepodge of modern game design cliches borrowing the name of an estsablished franchise to boost selling power). If it gets positive buzz from real people after this Friday I’ll definitely redbox it at the very least.

Yep, a healthy dose of criticism is always a good thing. I still wouldn't say that the familiar name is there only to boost sales. It's still god of war, and without the context and history of past games, I wouldn't be that interested. It's kinda cool to see Kratos with a proper personality and find out how ssm reflect that on his former arcadey and angry-at-everything former self, and just how the references to past events play out.

while in BOTW

In response to your first spoiler, I blame that more on Ashly Burch being a overrated voice actress. Well maybe overrated isn't the right word, as she's been fine with stuff like Tiny Tina (one of her first video game roles). Complacent voice actress maybe since she was doing better, and more unique voices, when she started. Her recent voicing roles I've found very 1 note and flat, and not giving out proper emotion.

Where will the best version be?

Funny article, nonetheless.....

http://www.shacknews.com/article/104360/will-god-of-war-release-on-xbox-one
The fact this article doesn't even come off as being sarcastic makes it even more funny.

Last edited:
Heh, apparently one of the negatives in one person's review is that it's not coming to the Switch, PC, ONE etc....No sarcasm here.

https://www.numerama.com/pop-culture/344055-test-de-god-of-war-ps4-tient-chef-doeuvre.html
seriously.gif~c200

As I am currently playing through BOTW and nearly have the platinum for Horizon, I have a few opinions of my own about the two...
While I agree about the audio logs and that they are a poor way to deliver insight into the past events... I didn't feel the 'happiness' in Elizabeth's logs though.
Horizon is a new IP, they had to build a completely new world, people, culture, story with overarching plot and subplots, characters, ecology and of course the robots. All this while going from fps's to their first RPG.
I think what they did was an incredible feat and the way in which they explained the robots was brilliant... I think Rost could have been used more effectively and had a greater emotional impact. He was hardly mentioned later in the game, like he hardly mattered and for me that was sad as I found him quite endearing.

I didn't realize we should give bonus points to a developer that tries new genres when it comes to story. I fail to see how what GG did with Horizon was more impressive because they went from a FPS to a RPG, are you implying that FPS games don't need to have deep lore or be overall well written? And okay, it's quite a jump from a short shooter to a long RPG, and to me their limitations really show when it comes to the dialogues and a lot of them border on stupidity for a good chunk of the time. I fail to see how that would be a positive for GG, what, "you tried hard and you get them next time"? No. Try harder next time and get it.

It's not a bad world, although I couldn't give a shit about that caveman people and honestly I would rather go extinct than living like that. I just think the story is very pedestrian. The robots are nice, but I never felt it was particularly deep. Rost was a shit character because you knew he'd fucking die as soon as he appeared. His backstory wasn't bad but it doesn't fit how nice of a guy he was.
Guy goes on murderous rampage because his tribe wouldn't avenge his family and gets outcast anyway and then still unironically love and respect the tribe? Fuck that.

Meanwhile, I have found Zelda engaging on a mechanics level primarily, that and the obsessive hunt for upgrades and gear are it's strengths. It does however have many substantial flaws in my opinion... There is no sense of urgency and a dissonance between your situation and the freedom you enjoy. The voice acting is laughably bad and I honestly couldn't take any of the characters seriously, not to mind get emotionally invested.
When not voice acted, you are just scrolling through text which is for me the equivalent of the logs in Horizon. The heroes of the 4 beasts are encountered briefly and really don't have the chance to be emotionally impactful, that has to be earned and BOTW doesn't even try.
I won't go into controls and breakable weapons cause that's kinda beside the point. Link is just as prodigious as Aloy, so I think your point about that is a little hypocritical ...

Yeah the voice acting in BOTW is shit, but complaining about that is like me complaining about the ridiculous facial animations on Horizon. It's irrelevant to the story. "Scrolling through text" is absolutely not like the logs in Horizon. Most japanese games feature scrolling text, but it's not uninteresting exposition dumps you can listen to while you walk around. I also fail to see how the champions are not solid, the 4 are good representation of their races and two of them feature some great stuff with the main character.

Link failures caused the end of the world. Aloy was an outcast neanderthal that probably ate shit for most of her days and she has insane knowledge about stuff that should be way beyond her comprehension. She was one flying ship away from Battlefield Earth.

I think both have a lot to offer and feel it's highly disingenuous to crap on Horizon, as has become common for Nintendo fans recently. I was a huge Nintendo fan up to the Gamecube but I have to say many have become arrogant, condescending zealots.

I'm sorry that I'm crapping on Horizon, it was not my intention (I'm going to ignore the console wars bit though). I did like a lot about what the game had to offer. I just don't understand why people shit on BOTW's story, like I said it's sparse but it's way more believable in its own internal logic than Horizon is. Maybe I shouldn't have compared both, it's just that HZD is so fresh in my mind.

Also don't forget that cringy dialogue of
Sylens wasting time explaining why Aloy asking his name instead of just telling his name and be done with it.

They couldn't make up their minds about Sylens being a bad guy or a good guy or a morally ambiguous guy and the result was all over the place. It felt like 3 people writing the same character.

In response to your first spoiler, I blame that more on Ashly Burch being a overrated voice actress. Well maybe overrated isn't the right word, as she's been fine with stuff like Tiny Tina (one of her first video game roles). Complacent voice actress maybe since she was doing better, and more unique voices, when she started. Her recent voicing roles I've found very 1 note and flat, and not giving out proper emotion.

It's possible. I think she did a very poor job overall. The voice acting in the game was mostly good, but she felt plastic and disconnected.

Bryank75

Banned
Links failures don't cause the end of the world though... It didn't end. The castle got messed up and there are monsters out in the wilderness. Pretty underwhelming for the end of the world. In Horizon it really ends and they have to begin afresh...
What was Ganons motive? What drove him?
Zelda doesn't age and is holding back Ganon for 100 years.

Believable is not a word I'd associate with it... logic either.

Then 99% of enemies are recycled since OoT... total lack of imagination.

ExpandKong

Banned
Links failures don't cause the end of the world though... It didn't end. The castle got messed up and there are monsters out in the wilderness. Pretty underwhelming for the end of the world. In Horizon it really ends and they have to begin afresh...
What was Ganons motive? What drove him?
Zelda doesn't age and is holding back Ganon for 100 years.

Believable is not a word I'd associate with it... logic either.

Then 99% of enemies are recycled since OoT... total lack of imagination.

You clearly, miraculously, missed the dozens of ruined settlements scattered around Hyrule.

Beyond that, arguing logic when it comes to videogames is a fool’s errand anyway.

Danjin44

This video kind got excited where they going with the story.

One think I always believe about the reason behind Kratos's rage was that deep down he knew this mostly his own fault but he just couldn't excepted so he blame the gods, "the gods betraying him" was his excuse.

ilfait

The voice acting is laughably bad and I honestly couldn't take any of the characters seriously, not to mind get emotionally invested.
I restarted from the beginning, despite being about 50% through the game, when the language patch became available. Transformed it for me from yet another corny modern Treehouse affair to something that felt a lot more classic and charming, like an old animated film. I went with French, but some of the other options sounded good to me as well.

I'd strongly recommend this to anyone who's starting or just started playing, or is thinking about a replay.

LostDonkey

The Witcher 3 and in turn The entire Witcher series are some of the worst games I've ever played in my 30+ years of gaming. People have different tastes.

Shin

Banned
Not review related, but it just popped up on YouTube for me, rather epic to be honest.
Have a look:

WaterAstro

Is it that far fetch that someone didn't like Witcher 3!!? There are lot of people absolutely hated combat and how it controls.
Umm, I like all the Witcher games, but if you played Witcher 1, you would say it has the worst combat. I liked how Witcher 1's combat was unique, but it was basically like playing a rhythm game, so I know that it really is the least good.

Between Witcher 2 and 3, they're pretty close, but I prefer 3 because once you get really good at combat, you'll be deflecting arrows, chaining combos, using signs properly. Witcher 2 didn't require that much skill as Witcher 3 did. I enjoy the difficulty (even though I cheesed the entire game with axii on my first playthrough that I did on the hardest difficulty).

Ar¢tos

How is an opinion like this possible?
Different people like different things...
I didn't care for Witcher 3, didn't hate it either. Bought it on release and sold it 2 days after. The game didn't click with me. It bored me to death after 6h of gameplay. But I understand that other people can like it and see nothing wrong with that.

Bryank75

Banned
Trying to talk my Gamestop into midnight launch, word has to come from head office apparently. Why does Fifa get one every year for mostly casual gamers and the big spenders on games get nothing...

Danjin44

WaterAstro WaterAstro : My issue here is with comments like “How is an opinion like this possible?” as if that person’s opinion some how is wrong. People have different taste!!! Why this so hard to underestand for some people!!?

Last edited:
Different people like different things...
I didn't care for Witcher 3, didn't hate it either. Bought it on release and sold it 2 days after. The game didn't click with me. It bored me to death after 6h of gameplay. But I understand that other people can like it and see nothing wrong with that.
Same for me! I just could not get into it. Put in about 15/20 hrs, did not like the combat at all. But, I can understand why some people would like it, it just wasn't for me.

WaterAstro

WaterAstro WaterAstro : My issue here is with comments like “How is an opinion like this possible?” as if that person’s opinion some how is wrong. People have different taste!!! Why this so hard to underestand for some people!!?
Yeah, I understand. Just giving some realistic views on the actual subject. The Witcher 3 comment is really hyperbole because the combat is not the worst as long as Witcher 1 is around.

Neolombax

I was watching the KindaFunnyGames review of God of War today....man its hard not to be hyped for this game. On the other hand, the praises are also making me set my expectations to be lower and lower.

Dargor

Yeah, I understand. Just giving some realistic views on the actual subject. The Witcher 3 comment is really hyperbole because the combat is not the worst as long as Witcher 1 is around.

His opinion is that The Witcher 3, which is the better one, is still bad (for him), so The Witcher franchise as a whole is bad (again, for him). And thats his opinion, what can ya do about it? Disagree and move on.

drotahorror

His opinion is that The Witcher 3, which is the better one, is still bad (for him), so The Witcher franchise as a whole is bad (again, for him). And thats his opinion, what can ya do about it? Disagree and move on.

I mean yeah, someone pointed it out and moved on. To me, there's a difference in saying "I don't like this game" and "This is one of the worst games to ever exist".
I don't like PUBG or Fortnite. I fucking hate PUBG, but there's no way it's one of the worst games ever made.

dragos495

Trying to talk my Gamestop into midnight launch, word has to come from head office apparently. Why does Fifa get one every year for mostly casual gamers and the big spenders on games get nothing...

yeah, same here with my local Game store. keep asking about midnight launc and they give poor excuses like "the guards wont show up", like they need guards to sell games to nerds...

Dargor

I mean yeah, someone pointed it out and moved on. To me, there's a difference in saying "I don't like this game" and "This is one of the worst games to ever exist".
I don't like PUBG or Fortnite. I fucking hate PUBG, but there's no way it's one of the worst games ever made.

I don't think so, unless the person tries to pass that opinion as something thats more than that, an opinion.

That poster said that the witcher series is the worst games that he/she played and even gone out of his/her way to say that people have different tastes, whats the issue?

Last edited:
The entire game looks incredible but the one thing I'm looking forward to the most is the single shot camera. Loved it in MGSV, and having it for the entire game should be amazing.

Based on the reviews and what I have seen anyone that is giving this a 8/10 is blacklisted to me. Do not care about someone's opinion if they use it to try to be edgy for more viewers.

ExpandKong

Banned
The entire game looks incredible but the one thing I'm looking forward to the most is the single shot camera. Loved it in MGSV, and having it for the entire game should be amazing.

See, I’m not a fan of that technique. It’s fine for single impactful scenes but for a whole work? It’s a cinematic parlor trick. Comes off to me as a director not knowing or caring about how to execute an effective cut so fuck it, don’t cut, pretend you’re a cinematic genius.

DavidGzz

How sad that this is even a question with such a big release. I wonder how much digital sales have damaged midnight launches. Maybe the demand just isn't there.

Danjin44

I'm glad the new GOW cover is similar style as GOW 1&2 instead boring close shot of his eye in GOW3. Just like in first two games the cover art has nice looking background.
198187-god-of-war-playstation-2-front-cover.png

84332-god-of-war-ii-playstation-2-front-cover.png

be9d0df86f3e49059cfa1345cf980e15.jpg

Last edited:

nowhat

Fellaz, is pre-load up yet on PSN..if it is will cancel physical copy..Thx
Usually it'll become available about 48 hours before release in your timezone (i.e. 0AM on Friday in this case). Although in my experience preloading can be a bit wonky, often I have to manually start the download (before release, after preloading becomes available).

sadaiyappan

How special could the game be? It's not even open world. They must have mastered the genre and graphics. Does it do anything innovative?

JangoRain

I'm glad the new GOW cover is similar style as GOW 1&2 instead boring close shot of his eye in GOW3. Just like in first two games the cover art has nice looking background.
Was just thinking yesterday about this. GoW3 might have the worst box art for a AAA game that I can think of.

Top Bottom