• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War studio Sony Santa Monica reveal another unannounced project in development through hiring tweet

In their typical recruitment fashion, Sony Santa Monica is promoting job openings on their social media feed. This time, however, they are asking for an art director for an unannounced project, confirming that the studio has multiple games in development. Given that they're looking for an art director, it's likely this game won't come out for awhile, perhaps until 2023. That being said, it is cool to see Sony's studios grow in size to sustain multiple projects at once, further boosting first-party output. Also, it's very likely this project will be a new IP since Santa Monica Studio has not done an original IP for quite some time. What do you guys think of this news?

kretos

Banned
hopefully a scifi - space opera

giphy.gif

kyliethicc

In their typical recruitment fashion, Sony Santa Monica is promoting job openings on their social media feed. This time, however, they are asking for an art director for an unannounced project, confirming that the studio has multiple games in development. Given that they're looking for an art director, it's likely this game won't come out for awhile, perhaps until 2023. That being said, it is cool to see Sony's studios grow in size to sustain multiple projects at once, further boosting first-party output. Also, it's very likely this project will be a new IP since Santa Monica Studio has not done an original IP for quite some time. What do you guys think of this news?

So is this what Cory Barlog is directing or is he doing God of War 2?

Eric Williams is likely directing which ever one Cory Barlog is not directing.

Eanox

Ragnorok seems like a Miles Morales sized mini sequel more and more each day.

But damn im hyped for new IPs from Sonys big guns
The lore is already been created. The story has been established.
The gameplay mechanics just need a few improvements.
If Ragnarok is slated for October or November.
That is 3 years and 5 months of development time. Which is not the case for Spider-man: miles morales.

Edit: Insomniac was bought in 2019. Which could have affected the decision to make a full pledge Miles morales game.

SSM is ramping up. Also, Cory teased that he is creating a new ip. He wants a new ip since GOW was very successful. It’s possible that this was already green lighted and some of the team is already working on it especially the creative directors.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
The lore is already been created. The story has been established.
The gameplay mechanics just need a few improvements.
If Ragnarok is slated for October or November.
That is 3 years and 5 months of development time. Which is not the case for Spider-man: miles morales.

yeah after that 10 minutes e3 demo they basically developed the rest of the game in 2 years. making a sequel shouldn't take as long as creating the game from 0 unless the scope is much bigger. q4 sounds about right.

Isn't this the title Alanah Pearce is writing for or something?

it has to be.

Eanox

yeah after that 10 minutes e3 demo they basically developed the rest of the game in 2 years. making a sequel shouldn't take as long as creating the game from 0 unless the scope is much bigger. q4 sounds about right.

it has to be.
And Cory is teasing a Space game from them.
I hope it will be a RPG open world Space game.
Hopefully a 3rd person game.
Possibly he is being inspired from Mandalorian series from his recent tweets.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

You forgot to add cinematic experience

Long being rumored. I'm glad to see much buzz around new IP's for Sony's top 2 premier studios.

Not sure why you would hire Alana for sci-fi tho... then again for a quest line, or add-on to a group of writers she could do the work. We'll see.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Star Wars. With the success of Spider-Man, I see no reasons why Disney wouldn't approach Sony to see if they want to make a SW game, especially now that the license is no longer exclusive to EA. Barlog has also teased something space related. Could be a new IP of course, but it wouldn't shock me if it was Star Wars.

Heylon

As long as it isn’t anything overtly SJW, I’m game!

Bryank75

Banned
i mean. isn't he the creative director of the entire studio? that means that he is on everything. even if he is not the director of the game
I think he had the new GOW trilogy already outlined and mostly written, so I guess he would only have to check in every once in a while.

Jaffe was saying that it's not good to split yourself between projects. So it could be that he is more or less 'all-in' on his new project and has put his faith in Williams and the other GOW veterans. Many of the original GOW crew are still there from my understanding.

kyliethicc

i mean. isn't he the creative director of the entire studio? that means that he is on everything. even if he is not the director of the game
No such thing. He is just a game director on 1 game.

But he could end up with a writing credit on God of War 2 even if he isn't working on it directly anymore, since he and the other writers did roughly sketch out a trilogy of games when writing game 1.

kyliethicc

Very likely the director of one between the two games. He's been there since the first GoW on ps2. He probably gained experience and showed talent on game design.
Yup this Williams guy was part of Cory's small team when they began the pre-pro on GoW reboot.

They probably will have him direct GoW and let Cory make the new game.

EDMIX

Seeing how Sony treated hybrid RPGs last gen with Days Gone, Horizon, God Of War reboot, Ghost Of Tsushima, that is very, very likely.

3rd person? Very likely. The team fucks with that perspective often. I'm hype for what ever they make as I'm sure Sony Santa Monica and Bethesda with Starfield are fully capable of making a fucking masterful space rpg.

If either of those titles is just, got to planet, do series of missions on planet, upgrade ship parts, looty loot, leave said planet after ship is fixed, go to derelict space station and loot with some side story lore shit and repeat.....they will be fine.

I think the loop can be done and I think those teams have what it takes to pull it off.

Star Wars. With the success of Spider-Man, I see no reasons why Disney wouldn't approach Sony to see if they want to make a SW game, especially now that the license is no longer exclusive to EA. Barlog has also teased something space related. Could be a new IP of course, but it wouldn't shock me if it was Star Wars.

Maybe. Knowing Sony, they might as look at Spiderman. At the same time they might want a bit more freedom and own the IP outright and simply have it as a new IP. Correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't this team been rumored to be working on some space thing for some time long before that Star Wars open license announcement?

Maybe I'm thinking of Naughty Dog.

Either way, they might already have some idea for something that isn't Star Wars.

AmuroChan

Maybe. Knowing Sony, they might as look at Spiderman. At the same time they might want a bit more freedom and own the IP outright and simply have it as a new IP. Correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't this team been rumored to be working on some space thing for some time long before that Star Wars open license announcement?

Maybe I'm thinking of Naughty Dog.

Either way, they might already have some idea for something that isn't Star Wars.

Yes, Santa Monica had a space game a few years ago that was canceled. I think if Disney wants to work with Sony on a SW game, Sony would be dumb to just say no. Sony and Disney have had a good working relationship for years now, dating back to remastering the old Lucasarts games, to Spidey in the MCU, to two exclusive Spidey games.

kyliethicc

Totally possible. Could also be why Cory Barlog said recently he's not working on a "new IP" .. or he was lying, or hes doing GoW, idk.

ZywyPL

Banned
SSM for once doing something other than GoW? Now that's something I though I'll never get to see, wonder what it'll be.

yurinka

Ragnorok seems like a Miles Morales sized mini sequel more and more each day.
Bullshit, zero sources point to that. They said it's a direct sequel, the game will have approx the same development time than previous GoW but with more workers.

SSM for once doing something other than GoW? Now that's something I though I'll never get to see, wonder what it'll be.
They tried it before GoW 2018 but that game got canned. Let's hope this time it works.

Totally possible. Could also be why Cory Barlog said recently he's not working on a "new IP" .. or he was lying, or hes doing GoW, idk.
Cory is/was working on God of War Ragnarok. I assume he will also work in the unannounced new game even if only overviewing it and providing some feedback. Who knows, maybe the mentioned Eric Williams is the one directing Ragnarok and Cory is directing the unannounced new game (which probably isn't a new IP, maybe it's a Star Wars game or Uncharted 5) and Cory is only overwiewing it and mentoring Eric.

Regarding Eric Williams, as of now he has been in the studio since the GoW 2005 as a designer, sometimes focused on combat design: https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,73057/

Ragnarok in 2022, whatever this new IP is in 2024+
Ragnarok is a 2021 game. They won't delay it, because with Horizon they are the 2 biggest exclusives of the year. Guerrilla and Santa Monica are two of the tech horsepowers in Sony with Naughty Dog, so they must have been among the first teams to start working on PS5, which means they will have less tech issues to release their games.

They algo had a good part of Ragnarok written from when they did the original game, and there were some parts cut from there that they can use now in Ragnarok (as I remember some of the worlds). They also don't need to make all that huge work rebooting the series in terms of lore, mechanics, etc. so it's pretty likely that they may have this game faster than usual. Looking at the time they traditionally need to make a game and when release them, March 2021 would be the date. But due to Covid, add like an extra half a year. I bet they will release GoW in September-October 2021.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I know... I hope not.
I want a larger sequel. Bad enough its already gonna be cross platform probably

For God of War (2018), they finalized the camera, combat, lore, engine, and story in the first two years. The entire game (apart from the first round that was showing during E3 in June 2016) was made in 2 years. The game was then released in April 2018.

If Ragnarok releases in Q4 2021, it would have been 3.5 years since the first game.

How big of a sequel do you want?

Top Bottom