• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War's graphics aren't great

Fluzer

Banned
godofwar_201804212314mnr5k.png

fizie_reddeadredemptif2ips.jpg

detroit-become-human.jpg

Uncharted4-10.jpg

I don't think GoW holds up personally.

SonGoku

I’d recommend specsavers.
Can you honestly tell me in this shot anything besides kratos looks good?
Look at the muddy ground textures, water looks bad (low rez lod?), statues, canoe, and mountain on left look poly starved, mountains on background look low rez (DoF? poor draw distance?), green textures look low rez. Something is off with the axe

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This thread's subject has the same problem as review scores for games, where an 8/10 is "yeah, it's alright". If you can look at God of War and with a straight face say "yeah, the graphics are pretty good, not great though" you need to reset your expectations. It has better graphics than 99% of video games and yet somehow they're "not great". There's no sense of scale with this shit any more, everything's either dogshit, alright, or GOAT.

Last edited:

xool

fizie_reddeadredemptif2ips.jpg

detroit-become-human.jpg

Uncharted4-10.jpg

I don't think GoW holds up personally.
Only one with a matte painting for distance. Lighting on Kratos seems unrelated to the rest of the scene (poor AO/GlobalIllumination effect)

i would even go as far as to say it looks downright ugly in many places, like the central hub with the serpent with its flat greenish colours and the place with dark elves.".

Said it myself Aelfhiem is a mess (I think they podcasted that this area got trashed/rebuilt in dev); distance Serpent textures just seem low res

imo there's an uncanny valley for PBR where stuff just looks unnatural and/or plasticy, and, GOW has it in spades.

Some areas do look great, but quality varies.

Also people need to lay of the defense force ad hominem attacks eg "get glasses"

Terenty

Then surely it would have won more awards and not been absolutely trounced by GOW. Surely If you google ‘RDR2 graphics’ it should have lots of articles saying things like “a new benchmark”;and “best ever” but no, it doesn’t.... just a load of downgrade articles.

Sorry about reality though.

Nah, i dont need someone else telling me how the game looks, i have my own eyes, thank God.

xool

You're so right about that snow scene - screenshot doesn't do it justice.

[if you;ve got a save file] Note the view from the left here you can see the big lake .. complete mismatch with the position on the map .. should be like that ..]

SonGoku

6jdaw50.jpg

k6UfhvC.jpg

You’re obviously going to choose what helps your case, here are two random ones.
Im no hater, just playing devils advocate for op
The first picture you posted looks amazing, the second one terrible

At the very least we can agree its uneven.

Last edited:

gifgaf

After reading some of these arguments my conclusion is maybe there is some half decent points comparing them to the best of the best games graphically wise, technically it may not be the best but its not far off, the art is fantastic though and that elevates it.

I think the best way to look at God of War is in motion so here's a couple of videos that showcase how brilliant the art direction in this game was.

Photo mode

Art can make a lower graphically game looks amazing and GoW is no slouch on the graphics department, it has a top notch art direction.

All this thread has done for me is make me want to play the game and experience that world all over again from the start. I am hyped for the sequel.

Fuck it, I have to play it again. Thanks Fluzer, I thought I had it out of my system.

Last edited:

Fluzer

Banned
6jdaw50.jpg

k6UfhvC.jpg

You’re obviously going to choose what helps your case, here are two random ones.
That snow mountain shot from GoW is the only one that has truly impressed me, kinda reminds me of Halo 5's Sanghelios level that looks drastically better than the other parts of the game. Also, I don't know what you were thinking with that second pic. It looks average as hell.

Bryank75

Banned
That snow mountain shot from GoW is the only one that has truly impressed me, kinda reminds me of Halo 5's Sanghelios level that looks drastically better than the other parts of the game. Also, I don't know what you were thinking with that second pic. It looks average as hell.
Because all of your screens of “Gud grafix” seem to be dependent on the lighting. A few ‘god rays’ and a golden sunset and you seem to be mesmerized. Graphics are more than that.

SonGoku

Tell yourselves whatever you want.... I’m done., as far as I’m concerned this thread is just a troll or bait. I shouldn’t even have bothered cause you don’t want to engage honestly.
Dude you posted that image its not even me cherrypicking
k6UfhvC.jpg

The old man's character model looks terrible: derpy, low poly (look at his head, armor and face), low rez cloth textures, rocks look poly starved and low rez textures, the table on the left looks like its from a Bethesda game. Look at the apple, it looks like plastic

Last edited:

Fluzer

Banned
The thread title is TROLL. We can discuss whether or not GOW's graphics are the top this gen but stating that they are NOT GREAT is cheap trolling. Pathetic, actually.
I label great as top tier, I'm sorry the thread title reflects my personal standards and that it offends you so much.

hO2pl6c.gif

vspdnxcoeh311.gif

Even though these games might not be as good critically as GoW, I think Gears 5 and Death Stranding are going to look insane. I'm just at awe with the asset quality.

Bryank75

Banned
Dude you posted that image its not even me cherrypicking
k6UfhvC.jpg

The old man's character model looks terrible: derpy, low poly (look at his head, armor and face), low rez cloth textures, rocks look poly starved and low rez textures, the table on the left looks like its from a Bethesda game. Look at the apple, it looks like plastic

4lykLQa.jpg

Look at everything beyond the low ground here, all that looks 2d and painted, very foggy too... low detail.

tkLi2i6.jpg

And by god, if Sindri is low detail or poly..... what is this!? No detail. Sindri has a million times more detail. The wall behind looks flat. The ground is 2 dimensional and has no texture.

Should I go on?

SonGoku

I label great as top tier, I'm sorry the thread title reflects my personal standards and that it offends you so much.

hO2pl6c.gif

vspdnxcoeh311.gif

Even though these games might not be as good critically as GoW, I think Gears 5 and Death Stranding are going to look insane. I'm just at awe with the asset quality.
I think the problem with GOW is that its uneven. Some parts look amazing others look really mediocre and out of place.
Maybe the team had to cut corners to release on time

SonGoku

Look at everything beyond the low ground here, all that looks 2d and painted, very foggy too... low detail.
The draw distance on the first picture is impressive, everything looks good far away
The second pic i agree looks terrible

Fluzer

Banned
The draw distance on the first picture is impressive, everything looks good far away
The second pic i agree looks terrible
Those pictures are intentionally taken at 360p resolution by Bryank, of course they're going to look bad. At least I posted a GoW screenshot that was full HD.

Last edited:

Terenty

4lykLQa.jpg

tkLi2i6.jpg

And by god, if Sindri is low detail or poly..... what is this!? No detail. Sindri has a million times more detail. The wall behind looks flat. The ground is 2 dimensional and has no texture.

Should I go on?

Man, you are the real troll in this thread. The draw distance in Rdr2 is amazing, the best in the business imho, it looks like a beautiful painting, everything you see can be approached and traversed, unlike Gow where every map is literally a room with a background and invisible walls every 5 meters, dont be ridiculous.

Of course the models look worse in the sec picture than Gow, but its an open world unlike Gow.

Bryank75

Banned
Man, you are the real troll in this thread. The draw distance in Rdr2 is amazing, the best in the business imho, it looks like a beautiful painting, everything you see can be approached and traversed, unlike Gow where every map is literally a room with a background and invisible walls every 5 meters, dont be ridiculous.

Of course the models look worse in the sec picture than Gow, but its an open world unlike Gow.
It's a common trick used in open-world games, everything beyond a certain distance is a 2d image. Trees have multiple models, a 2d one for far away, a low rez one for medium distance and a high rez 3d one for close up.
If you didn't know this, I'm sorry to break it to you.

mcjmetroid

What the hell is people's problem with God of War? It's an old school metroidvania style game but I guess that bothers people that prefer open world games where you do the same 4 tasks over and over again across a sprawling world of emptiness.

God of War is a masterclass of pacing and action certainly the best game of the year it came out on. There's nothing wrong with the graphics either. I wouldn't say it's mind blown in that regard but it's perfectly serviceable.

Terenty

It's a common trick used in open-world games, everything beyond a certain distance is a 2d image. Trees have multiple models, a 2d one for far away, a low rez one for medium distance and a high rez 3d one for close up.
If you didn't know this, I'm sorry to break it to you.

So what? They managed to make it look better than other open world games. Give credit where credit is due.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Boy if thy aren't great I can only imagine what you think of graphics from games (specifically exclusives) from the competing consoles.

This game definitely looks better than Gears, Days Gone, etc but I give Days Gone a Break since it looks good and is open world so it wouldn't look as good although Horizon Zero Dawn is up there with God of War so it's possible🤔🤔 God of War and Horizon are the best looking games this gen imo honorable mention to RDR2 thts up there too.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
After reading some of these arguments my conclusion is maybe there is some half decent points comparing them to the best of the best games graphically wise, technically it may not be the best but its not far off, the art is fantastic though and that elevates it.

I think the best way to look at God of War is in motion so here's a couple of videos that showcase how brilliant the art direction in this game was.

Photo mode

Art can make a lower graphically game looks amazing and GoW is no slouch on the graphics department, it has a top notch art direction.

All this thread has done for me is make me want to play the game and experience that world all over again from the start. I am hyped for the sequel.

Fuck it, I have to play it again. Thanks Fluzer, I thought I had it out of my system.

Exactly, look at it in motion in the video above. Games are not static art anyway. It blows away everything else when in motion.

Bryank75

Banned
he meant this screen:
k6UfhvC.jpg
If you ignore that it doesn't have some magnificent sunset, that seems to be the criteria you lot are putting forth as great graphics. I picked this screen due to the detail on display.... the layered armor, the knot-work, the creases on the gloves, the fur and hair etc.

Even the rock that you said was low detail or low rez.... it has the marbling and lime-staining that is typical of limestone rock.
Compare the detail and work put into this to RDR2 or any other game, you'd have a hard time to find anything like it.

If it was 'low rez' as you claim, they wouldn't bother with such detail as it would only highlight that fact. You simply heared 'low rez' and 'low detail' as an insult someplace and decided to throw it and see if it stuck...

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Doesn't matter if GoW graphics doesn't meet up OP expectations. It is still one of the best looking games ever to release on the PS4, a 6 year old console.

Top Bottom