• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War's graphics aren't great

DonF

Saying that GoW graphics aren't great is 100% trolling. You might say you don't like the art direction, settings or assets, but thats subjective. The game looks pretty and performs admirably.

Last edited:

SonGoku

If you ignore that it doesn't have some magnificent sunset, that seems to be the criteria you lot or putting forth as great graphics. I picked this screen due to the detail on display.... the layered armor, the knot-work, the creases on the gloves, the fur and hair etc.

Even the rock that you said was low detail or low rez.... it has the marbling and lime-staining or limestone rock.
Compare the detail and work put into this to RDR2 or any other game, you'd have a hard time to find anything like it.
The armor looks terrible low poly no depth and poor texture his head and face is low poly as well, rocks look low poly, gloves look good ill give you that.
Maybe its just a bad low rez shot? i don't know what you were thinking, it doesn't help your case at all.

Bryank75

Banned
The armor looks terrible low poly no depth and poor texture his head and face is low poly as well, rocks look low poly, gloves look good ill give you that.
Maybe its just a bad low rez shot? i don't know what you were thinking, it doesn't help your case at all.
If it were low poly, then they wouldn't use fine detail like knot-work. because the detail wouldn't show up well. Look, at this point it is clearly just you trolling.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah the picture is either low-res or highly compressed.

SonGoku

If it were low poly, then they wouldn't use fine detail like knot-work. because the detail wouldn't show up well. Look, at this point it is clearly just you trolling.
That could just be texture, armor looks very bad in that pic maybe its the resolution but hey you posted it not me

Pimpbaa

I don't know why we are responding to someone who has a tag like that. Very clearly wasn't an unbiased look at the quality of the graphics of the game.

MayauMiao

Maybe if someone can show me a game that can deliver better graphics than GoW in terms of scale, presentation, and seamingless transition from cinematic to action, then maybe I'll buy the idea that GoW graphics is somewhat of a letdown.

Fluzer

Banned
Maybe if someone can show me a game that can deliver better graphics than GoW in terms of scale, presentation, and seamingless transition from cinematic to action, then maybe I'll buy the idea that GoW graphics is somewhat of a letdown.
Or you could just look at the game itself and realize it has messed up PBR and isn't as good looking as RDR2, Uncharted 4, HZD, FH4, Metro Exodus, Spider-Man, Detroit, Days Gone, Quantum Break, RE2, Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2, Battlefield 1, Gears 4 or DOOM

Last edited:
I just started it and I really like the game but the graphics aren't living up to what I expected. Lighting isn't great, PBR implementation is very inaccurate and makes steel look like wood, in-game character models bar Kratos aren't the best, low res mountain backgrounds and low res textures throughout. Red Dead Redemption 2 looks a lot better as does Uncharted 4, Forza Horizon 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

I'd put God of War alongside ROTTR/SOTTR, Gears 4, Killzone Shadow Fall and Days Gone in games that look good but not GREAT.
Maybe it would have been "GREAT" to you had you played it a year ago...you know when it was released?

Keihart

zelda-botw-trial-of-the-sword-tips-tricks.jpg

horizon_hunter_2.0.jpg

I'd say these two are far more deserving of that title. At least in this generation.
Horizon sadly is a pretty looking game with lots of potential asking for a sequel to really shine, the combat is alright but it's full of meaningless choices on it's mechanics making armor and weapons and skills choices pretty trivial once you learn to play it. Quest are a bore-fest tho, but there are some interesting things that needed more freedom and development, like the ziplines or the secret "cave" where you find the best armor.

Zelda is probably the best opeworld/sandbox of all time, you would have a hard time finding someone that didn't get distracted playing that game, there are things to do everywhere, it's full of mechanics interacting with each other which really rewards experimentation and explotation so playing the game in the order and way that you want is far from pointless.
Zelda BoTW is like the peak of fantasy sandboxs iteration, it even take cues from minecraft, you might not like it but that game is hard to not appreciate in almost every aspect of it's design.

Look, i felt triggered by your post, but i have no shame in answering to the bait.

MayauMiao

Or you could just look at the game itself and realize it's not as good looking as RDR2, Uncharted 4, HZD, FH4, Metro Exodus, Spider-Man, Detroit, Days Gone, Quantum Break, RE2, Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2, Battlefield 1, Gears 4 or DOOM.

I don't really judge a game that way. I understand enough that sacrafices had to be made in order for GoW to run the way it did.

Do you really want GoW to be like The Order 1886, fantastic graphics but had black borders and somewhat confine space in order for the game to run properly?

What do you hope for the GoW developers to do?

gifgaf

Or you could just look at the game itself and realize it has messed up PBR and isn't as good looking as RDR2, Uncharted 4, HZD, FH4, Metro Exodus, Spider-Man, Detroit, Days Gone, Quantum Break, RE2, Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2, Battlefield 1, Gears 4 or DOOM
Why should he admit anything? you are in the minority friend. The burden of proof is on your shoulders not just spouting off game names like someone trying to get a reaction.

You can do better than that?

Last edited:

Fluzer

Banned
I don't really judge a game that way. I understand enough that sacrafices had to be made in order for GoW to run the way it did.

Do you really want GoW to be like The Order 1886, fantastic graphics but had black borders and somewhat confine space in order for the game to run properly?

What do you hope for the GoW developers to do?
How does God of War run? It runs at 30fps like all of the games I just mentioned.. I was simply expecting more from the developers of GoW 3 (the best looking game of last gen). GoW 2018 doesn't come close to that title imo.

Last edited:

gifgaf

I just started it and I really like the game but the graphics aren't living up to what I expected
How does God of War run? It runs at 30fps like all of the games I just mentioned.. I was simply expecting more from the developers of GoW 3 (the best looking game of last gen). GoW 2018 doesn't come close to that title imo.

It has a 60fps cap and a 30fps cap, but you would know that right? since you are playing it right now and not trolling?

I personally played it on higher framerate mode and still thought it looked amazing, I need a 4K tv now though after reading some of these comments.

I wonder if some of these GoW screenshots are on the performance mode not the quality mode.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

You are being unreasonable then especially when you're comparing the GoW 3 to GoW 2018, a game that looks, plays, and feel completely different.

azz0r

Banned
Depth of field or motion blur doesn't excuse the low res mountain textures evident in every hub world scene.

Ewww review scores, seriously? I never said anything about the game's quality, it's a good game. The graphics just aren't that great.
They arent review scores. Congrats on proving you didn't even click a single link. Troll.

Fbh

Honestly I kinda agree.
I mean, it's a fantastic game and I'd still consider it to have upper tier graphics.

But as someone who picked up the game around a month after released, after hearing so much praise for the visuals I didn't find them mindblowing. I was and still am way more impressed with Uncharted 4 and Horizon.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

Crackdown 3, State of Decay, SOT, oh wait🤔lol 😭😭😭 the savior RDR 2 only 4K native on Xbox X 😂😂

OH plz Horizon and Gow still shittin on them 😁 all jokes aside I agree with you idk what OP smoking.
Horizon sadly is a pretty looking game with lots of potential asking for a sequel to really shine, the combat is alright but it's full of meaningless choices on it's mechanics making armor and weapons and skills choices pretty trivial once you learn to play it. Quest are a bore-fest tho, but there are some interesting things that needed more freedom and development, like the ziplines or the secret "cave" where you find the best armor.

Zelda is probably the best opeworld/sandbox of all time, you would have a hard time finding someone that didn't get distracted playing that game, there are things to do everywhere, it's full of mechanics interacting with each other which really rewards experimentation and explotation so playing the game in the order and way that you want is far from pointless.
Zelda BoTW is like the peak of fantasy sandboxs iteration, it even take cues from minecraft, you might not like it but that game is hard to not appreciate in almost every aspect of it's design.

Look, i felt triggered by your post, but i have no shame in answering to the bait.

I didn't get distracted playing botw as a matter of fact I got bored to death to the point I had to force myself to finish it twice. The world was empty and full of repetitive enemies, shrines and bosses tht weren't memorable. Horizon was lush and full of enemies everywhere. For me Horizon Zero dawn was the open world I always wanted and enjoyed the combat way more than in Botw. It's my favorite open world this gen.

Last edited:

keraj37

If you don't like it, don't buy it - as DICE would respond.
Strange topic for a thread indeed.

And this gen best looking game award goes to Battlefront anyway.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why are you guys are so damn obsessed with technical side of the graphics!!?

Look at these games! Is it technical marvel? No! Is it still gorgeous? Fuck yes!!!
1553985230-20190326152331-1.jpg

BloodbornePS4Share-4.jpg

dims

dragon-quest-xi-echoes-of-an-elusive-age-screen-04-ps4-us-16mar18

F3A48708BA09C7E5AAD34F530A60FBE611BD66D1

For me, the only thing matters in visuals is the art direction, thats key element that will make visuals looking good.

Romulus

There isn't any discussion, Fluzer is a recently unbanned troll and that's his point, he is just trying to bait. Expect more of this type of posts with no content just stupid statements.

Didnt even know the poster's history but his post had obvious troll written all over it.

3March

Banned
So arguably, the best looking game this gen, but but but... it's graphics aren't great, I see......
Devil May Cry 5 blows it away. AND runs better on console. AND has a better FOV. AND is on multiple platforms.

Also, yes, God of War 4 is overrated. Big time. As with 90% of PS4 exclusives.

Last edited:

gifgaf

Devil May Cry 5 blows it away. AND runs better on console. AND has a better FOV. AND is on multiple platforms.

Look at all those loading screens though, It ain't open world.

You're so right about PS4 exclusives being overrated though, so many people buying into those overrated games and consoles, 91.6 million now? chump change!. How do Sony keep forcing people to buy these totally overrated games and giving them awards and fantastic reviews is what I would like to know. must be mind control or something!

Last edited:

Keihart

Crackdown 3, State of Decay, SOT, oh wait🤔lol 😭😭😭 the savior RDR 2 only 4K native on Xbox X 😂😂

OH plz Horizon and Gow still shittin on them 😁 all jokes aside I agree with you idk what OP smoking.

I didn't get distracted playing botw as a matter of fact I got bored to death to the point I had to force myself to finish it twice. The world was empty and full of repetitive enemies, shrines and bosses tht weren't memorable. Horizon was lush and full of enemies everywhere. For me Horizon Zero dawn was the open world I always wanted and enjoyed the combat way more than in Botw. It's my favorite open world this gen.
I guess you just apreciate different things on games, my favorite thing on games is figuring things out. Like for example in a fighting game discovering how to chain moves. Platinum Games for example are really good a this, smoking in Vanquish, figuring out what does every melee atack, etc...That a-ha moment.
In Horizon in contrast to Zelda, there is very little to figure out, the combat burns out fast and it becomes a check list to complete the quests. In Zelda every quest is organic, the game avoids most markers, and doesn't really explains to you more than the basic mechanics. So there are lots of surprises as you go and since there are many interactions between mechanics, the game is very good at having emergent gameplay moments. Just for example, discovering that you can throw metal weapons during a elecrtric storm to rain lighting on your enemies, using enemy guts as balloons to levitate bombs, launching yourself in the air by acumulating inertia in a rock and then riding it, cutting tress and using them as bridges, using a fire to lift yourself up when is raining and is hard to climb, etc.. you can go on and on about fun little interactions on the game. Also lot's of quest to start or complete ask that you look at the environment instead of following a marker. A great example is the legend of the three trees in the mountain or something like that, you can locate de trees from a distance and then figure out how to get there, the game only tells you the legend but not how or where and if there really is something.
Basically, in Zelda every time you wonder "would that work" it probably does in some way.
I hope that the sequel expands on dungeons, the game needs more caves and secret pathways, the shrines do become repetitive since they all look the same.

Edit: Maybe i am not explaining myself right, in that case i searched for a video of game maker's toolkit where is better explained:

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I'm aways impressed how gorgeous this game looks every time my brother plays.

I was inclined to at least try to understand the point of the OP. Until he said that models aren't best aside from Kratos. Now I think he is indeed trolling.

Its that of those threads that downplays a game just because you don't like? Its fine to not like the game.

Bryank75

Banned

DMCV is alright but it's environments get very repetitive (you know what I mean if you've played), the backgrounds have that photographed quality that Capcom games used to have... if you remember the RE1 Remake.

You undermined your own argument by citing exclusivity so much.... it reveals that the main issue you have is not the quality of the games but your own dislike of the platform they are on.

Unfortunate for you but there is a reason PS exclusives are often in the running for game of the year.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
OP getting this out there so he doesn't upset the trolling community. God of War was never known for graphics, Santa Monica was trying to fill your screen with action, and story telling all along with graphics being third priority.

I just started it and I really like the game but the graphics aren't living up to what I expected. Lighting isn't great, PBR implementation is very inaccurate and makes steel look like wood, in-game character models bar Kratos aren't the best, low res mountain backgrounds and low res textures throughout. Red Dead Redemption 2 looks a lot better as does Uncharted 4, Forza Horizon 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

I'd put God of War alongside ROTTR/SOTTR, Gears 4, Killzone Shadow Fall and Days Gone in games that look good but not GREAT.
Ewww... opinions lol I could see how you would think this. It's a graphic style that doesn't really hold up, over time. It's "realistic" style, it'll never be timeless. Even only a year later, it doesn't look as good as it did at the time of release. I think it still looks really good, a lot better than most games out, but it's shine has diminished. The only place you're "wrong" is that you're doing this in hindsight.

Norse

God of War looks great. The only thing I've noticed is that sometimes it has a sort of green screen effect. Kind of like watching a great movie and all of the sudden a scene comes up and you totally can tell it's green screen that's not done well. Outside of that, the majority of the time the game looks amazing.

Last edited:
That's where I'm at, God of War 3 looked absolutely amazing at the time and this game just looks merely good. The Order 1886 looks phenomenal and unlike God of War, its handling of PBR is amazing.

Yes, God of War 2018 does not look as impressive as God of War 3 looked circa 2010, God of War 3 is arguably the best looking console game of the 7th gen.

I forgot to mention that I think Uncharted 4 looks a tad better as well.

Not all that sold on art direction - Aelfheim looks like anearly 360 era fantasy level - and the level design is meh too

I actually liked the fact that art direction wise, Aelfheim looked like a game from the 2000s.

Armorian

Banned
Aside from ugly cube maps in alfheim game looks very good, great usage of GPU particles and excellent implementation of TAA (compared to blurry mess in many games), comparable to what ACO uses on PC.

Yes, God of War 2018 does not look as impressive as God of War 3 looked circa 2010, God of War 3 is arguably the best looking console game of the 7th gen.

That's true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom