• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godfall |OT| Under the scarab's shell, all creation is shielded

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Its decent. The locking on is annoying. Where you lock into a direction too rigidly and swipe past enemies. Maybe im trying to play it too quickly

OutRun88

I just played this game for about 2 hours, and I must say I found it very enjoyable.

The combat is “Souls”-lite. You can’t just hack-n-slash without getting punished. Because you can’t cancel out of animations, each button press needs to be done with intent.

The loot so far seems interesting enough, and I like the mechanics of having the weapon type dictate your style of attacks.

dorkimoe

I just played this game for about 2 hours, and I must say I found it very enjoyable.

The combat is “Souls”-lite. You can’t just hack-n-slash without getting punished. Because you can’t cancel out of animations, each button press needs to be done with intent.

The loot so far seems interesting enough, and I like the mechanics of having the weapon type dictate your style of attacks.
I wish they would fix the blocking mechanic

I've seen this game priced at $30 at some places but the no matchmaking is really killing it for me, would definitely buy if that was included.

An absolutely insane omission, IMO. When they update it with matchmaking and it inevitably hits PS+ for free, I could then see the game having some life.

Co-op looters with no matchmaking never make sense to me. Felt same about Minecraft Dungeons

VertigoOA

Banned
About the do the boss fight in the water realm. Fought a fire monster ... was a very, very fun fight .

Im kinda disgusted by these reviews. Game is good. Great combat. Lots of good enemy encounters and variety (far more than soulless trash like avengers). Very cool weapon variety, ailments, buffs, debuffs. The loot is pretty good.

Only thing I don’t like is hero characters. I rather be my own avatar and loot armor pieces. Hero shooter action games whatever...can fuck off. But the art direction isn’t bad at all so it’s not as painful as playing as some generic focus tested blue haired gender anonymous abomination.

The technical issues are there but few and far between and near trivial in the scope of things because no doubt quality of life patches will arrive shortly.

I guess Gearbox and Counterplay didn’t pay the faux gaming press with enough free Disney merch.

dorkimoe

It blows my mind there isn’t any matchmaking. This game would be some action packed enjoyment with it.

What issue are you having with blocking?
You can’t seem to block while fighting. Like ghost of Tsushima or basically any other combat game. You have to like stop attacking cuz the delay on the shield is so long. So I have to sit and wait for their attack. Doesn’t feel fluid

I also wouldn’t mind a mini map

OutRun88

You can’t seem to block while fighting. Like ghost of Tsushima or basically any other combat game. You have to like stop attacking cuz the delay on the shield is so long. So I have to sit and wait for their attack. Doesn’t feel fluid

I also wouldn’t mind a mini map
I don’t recall noticing this. I’ll have to give it a test this weekend.

I mostly dodge or parry which seems responsive.

sublimit

Banned
Wow amazing OT cormack12 cormack12 ! This game has been an easy target for hatred partly due to its console exclusivity and partly due to its art direction but to me the gameplay trailers looked like something i'd enjoy. Definitely in my to buy list when i get a PS5.

GymWolf

Imagine reviewers trashing the combat and polish on this one but then enjoying combat and polish on ac valahalla, jesus christ...

OutRun88

Imagine reviewers trashing the combat and polish on this one but then enjoying combat and polish on ac valahalla, jesus christ...
Haven’t had the chance to play AC yet, but I think the combat is pretty decent in this game.
The weapons pack a satisfying punch.

VertigoOA

Banned
I had a lot of fun swinging around the greatsword. The run attack is just fun to look at and the way you can just spam L1 to repeatedly swing wildly is fun just for the monster hunter vibes (altho I kinda feel the combat is more satisfying here).

I got a charm that on parry enemies get blinded. That’s a pretty awesome tool. You can upgrade and enchant those items too so I’m gonna abuse it for a bit.

You can’t tell me this game is bad. Pfft nonsense

It succeeds in the main area that Avengers failed for me, and that is fun combat. I’ll grind the most repetitive game if the combat is fun and the progression keeps ticking somewhere.

I’m only 10 hours in. ITs not a great game but it’s mediocre enough for me to stay just engaged to the point of probably aiming to plat it.

I have encountered two issues though:

One, I level up and don’t get a skill point sometimes. I’ve seen this bug posted on Reddit a lot and no one has found a fix. If maxing out skill points is needed for plat then I’m fucked

Two, after an hour the game starts stuttering anytime I pick up loot. If I restart game it is fine again for another hour, repeat. I didn’t realize memory leaks are a thing on console

Last edited:

OutRun88

It succeeds in the main area that Avengers failed for me, and that is fun combat. I’ll grind the most repetitive game if the combat is fun and the profession keeps ticking somewhere.

I’m only 10 hours in. ITs not a great game but it’s mediocre enough for me to stay just engaged to the point of probably aiming to plat it.

I have encounters two issues though:

One, I level up and don’t get a skill point sometimes. I’ve seen this bug posted on Reddit a lot and no one has found a fix. If maxing out skill points is needed for plat then I’m fucked

Two, after an hour the game starts stuttering anytime I pick up loot. If I restart game it is fine again for another hour, repeat. I didn’t realize memory leaks are a thing on console
I’ve experienced the stuttering and it’s super annoying. I figured it was an issue with my connection to the server, but you’re probably right! Restarting the game worked for me too.

I’ve experienced the stuttering and it’s super annoying. I figured it was an issue with my connection to the server, but you’re probably right! Restarting the game worked for me too.

No one on Reddit seems to know why it happens either. I thought it might be server side too. But yeah, my loop is typically I run two missions, gear up, restart game, repeat. I’m typically stutter free for 2 missions before it returns.

OutRun88

No one on Reddit seems to know why it happens either. I thought it might be server side too. But yeah, my loop is typically I run two missions, gear up, restart game, repeat. I’m typically stutter free for 2 missions before it returns.
Hopefully they get that fixed. It would be nice to have longer stretches of uninterrupted play sessions.

Vindicator

Switched from Mesa to Phoenix today, really fun when you trigger heat explosions left and right, at times it's just mindless slashing into some crowd.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Looks like they're getting desperate, they've put out a few DLC packs for this game that appear to all have been pre-order bonuses:

Yikes

Only 3 trophies needed for the Plat but it’s gonna take another 8 hours or so of grinding to get them. Really wish it had matchmaking, would be a breeze with others.

I like the upgrade system in this game. You can turn a green drop with one good stat into a legendary pretty easily

Roberts

I've been looking out for Spider (developers) games pretty much since I enjoyed Mars: Log Wars. Their games are jank, but their hearts and brains are in the right place. Greedfall is their most ambitious, most polished game and it is actually one of the better RPGs of recent times. I just hope they get better designers and bigger budgets next time.

If they optimise it for XSX, I will definitely download it again and try to finish all the side-quest stuff that I missed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It reminds me of a MOBA. In that you are essentially going down a path with smaller, weaker enemies, and you’ll make your way to an objective. It reminds me of League of Legends turned into an action game. You have your HUB too. Lol

A couple big things bug me about this game. Which have bugged me for a while. I miss having better control over your shield. That bugs me because you can’t just parry after a attack. Nope, you have to wait till the animation comes to a complete stop. Staggering in this game is a hit and miss. I only like the sword because of the invincible armor you get with your special art. The heavy weapons are way too slow. The enemies don’t change very often, even in the 3rd area.

A big thing that also bugs me is that they make you look super powerful at level 1 and you don’t exactly feel anymore or less powerful at level 25. The weapons are cool looking, but managing everything else feels pointless. This is PS5 we are talking about. Why can’t armor change your appearance? Why can’t they make building or something and not some large MOBA map?

A big update was released today. Apparently fixed stuttering, improves framerate, and adjust input buffering.

Cool for anyone still playing....

9dfdd198c9745a0c39b949f36ac5633ae6b96fee.jpeg

Still no matchmaking

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I know people don’t like this game. But anyway I cannot believe there isn’t more news or discussions about this... but the game skips so much on ps5. After a few levels you start to get hiccups every few seconds that are about a second long. Game literally lags for a second. I changed to resolution mode to see if it fixed instead of performance..lol. Game barely even rubs on that mode. It chugs around at like 15-30 FPS and is unplayable.
this is a game showcasing the power of your system and you allow this? Wtf

patch didn’t fix any stuttering for me. I have to restart the ps5 then play a few levels then have to restart again cuz stuttering is back

Last edited:

dorkimoe

anyone on ps5 can you check your game version for me? Mine still says 1.0 with no updates. I’m starting to think I didn’t get the patch

Godfall got it's first big update today

key notes

• Ascension Levels – Now let you power up even after you’ve reached the level cap, granting you new Ascension Powers and Ascension Bonuses.
    Primal Items – Add a compelling dimension to loot hunting, injecting a massive buff to the item’s primary trait as a new loot modifier. You’ll be able to view the impact of these effects with our new Detailed Player Stats Screen.
  • Tower of Trials– Both regular and Ascended versions of the tower received a substantial overhaul and expanded content including fresh new objectives, better rewards, greater challenges, and surprise events that will force you to adapt and test your builds. This increased difficulty will definitely make good use of your new Ascension Levels and Primal modifiers.
    • Ascended ToT and ToT now have you pick Banes, which are negative effects on the player. The harder the Bane, the better the loot bonus!
    • Ascended ToT is the only way to get Primal Items
    • Ascended ToT is now heavily condensed: 30 Trials instead of 100, and provides many more keys per Trial surpassed.
  • Dreamstones – Dreamstones have undergone extensive changes, including improved loot targeting and increased Electrum rewards. We’ve also added an entirely new class of items called Volatile Dreamstones that can further improve your rewards.
  • Zenun Shopkeeper – Zenun is now an in-game vendor that lets you buy weapons with your in-game resources to gear up for your challenge runs. Head to the Sanctum to see what Zenun has available for you today!
  • More Quality-of-Life – This content update includes various bug fixes, player weapon refinements, co-op tech enhancements and other QoL improvements. The full list of updates can be found below.
I hopped in to try it out. The stuttering I experienced at launch (on my PS5) is completely gone. Input feels better. Not perfect, but better.

Grinded a few ascension levels, goes pretty fast. I already have the plat so I don't need to complete AToT again but will hop in for some primals later today

I still don't think this is a great game, and those of us who were bugged leveling up to 50 still are missing some skill points, an issue I assume is just impossible to fix at this point.

I don't know how much the game costs now, but if you can get it for 30 bucks or less than I say give it a shot, though I bet it is on PS+ soon.

edit

Oh, and still no matchmaking. I hate this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom