• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gods & Monsters was renamed to Immortals: Fenyx Rising because of Monster Energy drinks

Eh9X470WsAAFT9o

Ubisoft changed the name of its upcoming open-world action game from Gods & Monsters to Immortals: Fenyx Rising after the maker of Monster Energy drinks challenged the game publisher's trademark application for the old title, as reported by VGC.
After a couple more extensions, Monster Energy filed its notice of opposition in April, saying it made the Monster trademarks famous long before Ubisoft filed its application, that it had a history of using the name in gaming and esports, and that Ubisoft's trademark would likely cause confusion or even deceive consumers as to the provenance of its goods.

In its official response in May, Ubisoft denied that Monster Energy was famous, and pointed to the hundreds of other existing trademarks around the word "Monster."

Kind of stupid that A. Monster Energy thinks they essentially own the word Monster in the gaming space and B. that Ubisoft relented with an awful alternate title

Last edited:
LMAO what a joke. I don't mind the name change, but HATE the way they spelled Phoenix. It comes off so cringy to me. Kind of like when people purposely spell names incorrectly so their kids loos unique.

LMAO what a joke. I don't mind the name change, but HATE the way they spelled Phoenix. It comes off so cringy to me. Kind of like when people purposely spell names incorrectly so their kids loos unique.
I agree it looks dumb, but they spelled it that way because it's unique and absolutely 100% not used by another company. So there's no way they'll run into another Monster Energy claiming "Fenyx" is theirs.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

What a stupid reasoning behind it.

The original name was definitely better than what it is now. The new name sounds like some kind of mobile game...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Surprised they bailed.

I'm no lawyer, but naming trademarks typically have to do with similar names and similar businesses.

McDonald's cant sue you if you call yourself McDonald's Snow Shovel Service.

LordCBH

No one.
Literally no one.
Monster Energy: “People will think Gods and Monsters was made by us because nobody in the history of history has ever used Monster before. We’re so glad we made Monster Energy Hunter World”

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
pretty sure nobody gave a fuck about the game.
And this fake outrage is just to boost sales..

the fuck was this game about again?

GymWolf

Oh you sweet summer child...that thing is gonna sell more than 4-5 actually good games combined just because it's an open world from ubisoft with zelda ahestetics...

MMaRsu

Banned
Oh you sweet summer child...that thing is gonna sell more than 4-5 actually good games combined just because it's an open world from ubisoft with zelda ahestetics...

Haha I'll take that bet

Which 4-5 games combined are we talking here

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Good point. Might be a clever piece of PR.

Then again, as SLimegoogoo said above, Bethesda was up in arms suing that indie studio using "Scrolls" in the game title. That was a real lawsuit.

supernova8

Banned
In its official response in May, Ubisoft denied that Monster Energy was famous, and pointed to the hundreds of other existing trademarks around the word "Monster."

Well I agree with Ubisoft.
According to the article, Monster Energy asked for an extension to the deadline for opposition in October 2019, yet didn't actually file their opposition until April 2020. In other words it took them a whole 6 months to come up with a document opposing the trademark.

Sounds like they were intentionally drawing it out and making Ubisoft suffer. Presumably Ubisoft wouldn't be allowed to launch the game unless the trademark dispute was resolved, and Monster would dig in their heels so Ubisoft decided it would be better to change the name than have it stuck in court.

But yeah Monster Energy - what a bunch of pricks.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
not saying it won't sell it's ubicrap they just throw money at a wall
no talent needed just cash, mass amounts of cash

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
Surprised they bailed.

I'm no lawyer, but naming trademarks typically have to do with similar names and similar businesses.

McDonald's cant sue you if you call yourself McDonald's Snow Shovel Service.
Idk I'm sure McDonald's could argue people might get confused because they have other companies/foundations unrelated to food.

Top Bottom