• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Oh No, There Goes Tokyo!

Liethe

The people who reviewed this probably have the same sentiments but I wonder just what else they wanted from a Godzilla game. What else is needed beyond what is there already for the core game?
I mean, it would be cool if the ONE thing you do in this game would at least look cool. The buildings should dynamically collapse as you hit them. Punch a wall, make a hole. Swing your tail, take off the entire top half of a building with it. That kinda stuff. Instead it's a few repetitive moves over and over on buildings that at first don't react at all and then suddenly blow up in an unsatisfying fashion.

Same thing can be said about fighting the other Kaijuu as well. If only the action looked good, a lot could be forgiven. As it is, it's just disappointing. But I'm not the most hardcore Godzilla fan I suppose. The real diehards probably have to take what they are given at this point.

Fury451

Banned
The Gotengo is straight from the 9th circle of video game hell.

Any tips on that one? I beat it with King Ghidorah eventually but it took forever, trading bite sized damage back and forth. It's attack cancel out so much and it's just too fast and hard to hit consistently.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Any tips on that one? I beat it with King Ghidorah eventually but it took forever, trading bite sized damage back and forth. It's attack cancel out so much and it's just too fast and hard to hit consistently.
If you can hit it with your tail it does huge damage. It usually shows up in a fight with another kaiju so mostly just ignore it and a lot of times the other monster will deal significant damage to it.

zeopower6

Hmm, with the Super X3 and Gotengo, you kinda just need to wait until you're able to do a Heavy attack on both of them. They both fly off the map that you can walk towards pretty consistently >_> R3 never did much to them for me and timing the roar+breath or breath was a bit annoying.

I mean, it would be cool if the ONE thing you do in this game would at least look cool. The buildings should dynamically collapse as you hit them. Punch a wall, make a hole. Swing your tail, take off the entire top half of a building with it. That kinda stuff. Instead it's a few repetitive moves over and over on buildings that at first don't react at all and then suddenly blow up in an unsatisfying fashion.

How many games like this have dynamically collapsing buildings? (with this sort of budget as well, which I assume was barely anything) And as far as the explosions being unsatisfying, it looks exactly like a kaiju film once you get enough destruction going with everything exploding around you.

Sephzilla

I kind of like that the original Super-X seems to be the toughest of the three. Makes sense, that one seemed like it put up the toughest fight against Godzilla.

To be fair that is how they pronounced his name in the 60's. It's even in the title card to his debut movie.

B-b-b-but it's 90s Ghidorah :(

zeopower6

This sure would have been a great time to start. On the PS4, too. They don't really have much else going on graphically so I don't see it being unfeasible.

This was a PS3 game originally.

I kind of like that the original Super-X seems to be the toughest of the three. Makes sense, that one seemed like it put up the toughest fight against Godzilla.

I had all three of them out at once at one point and I died from Super X beams. :<

SerTapTap

How many games like this have dynamically collapsing buildings? (with this sort of budget as well, which I assume was barely anything) And as far as the explosions being unsatisfying, it looks exactly like a kaiju film once you get enough destruction going with everything exploding around you.

I'm sure budget was an issue, but for me dynamic destruction, especially something a-la Red Faction Guerilla, would be a day-one seller. Hope we get another game like this buy with upgrades like that.

Liethe

This was a PS3 game originally.
War of the Monsters was a PS2 game. With more detailed destruction.

Anyway... don't mean to shit on it too much. It does do the movies justice with some of the presentation. I just wish it was something more. Guess I'm still waiting for the next level city destruction game with giant monsters.

Daingurse

I kind of like that the original Super-X seems to be the toughest of the three. Makes sense, that one seemed like it put up the toughest fight against Godzilla.(

It's really hard to hit, i also find it the toughest. I really wish it actually had the Super X theme when it came into battle instead of that generic one. Would have been so much more hype.

zeopower6

War of the Monsters was a PS2 game. With more detailed destruction.

I'm rewatching footage and it doesn't really seem all that different to me. I think unfortunately a lot of people expected a fast paced War of the Monsters-type battle system but with Toho creatures.

I think they will probably make another game to go along with the Toho film directed by Anno since the one this was based on seemed to do well enough to warrant a PS4 port.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This sure would have been a great time to start. On the PS4, too. They don't really have much else going on graphically so I don't see it being unfeasible.
I'm actually OK with the destruction because you can see what appears to be the same charges used on the old sets to demolish the buildings go off as you rampage. This game feels like you're on the set of one of the old movies with a remote control kaiju instead of a suit.

Enilced2

Any hints for getting larval Mothra cells? Can't seem to get any no matter how many times I fight her in king of Kaiju. Gating my progression super hard

zeopower6

Any hints for getting larval Mothra cells? Can't seem to get any no matter how many times I fight her in king of Kaiju. Gating my progression super hard

I got lucky and got my first one in King of Kaiju but the best way is to do either Go Ashore and go for hard path (you will probably get your ass kicked by the 100m larva but retry and it should be doable) or Invade with a kaiju of your choice (Biollante is probably the best for this IMO) on hard.

If you have already unlocked it though, I'd say King of Kaiju runs as the larva should probably be quicker than having to complete a whole Defend round. You can also repeat the process of playing on Invade and just start over each time to farm cells. You can get up to 3 at a time from each defeated kaiju, though sometimes it varies and I'm not sure why that is.

Playing as Biollante online is too much fun. I take back what I said about countering Bio, she has no hard counters besides maybe Burning Godzilla, and even that takes work and the hopes that they don't interrupt your shit.

Her normals are safe as fuck and have stupid range, one of her attacks is great at stunning while pulling people in and comes out at midrange (and homes in, mind you), she has an overly strong acid attack that once again stuns, and her super lasts forever and punishes people who try to escape with the last hit.

The worst of it? She can combo all this bullshit together. Say you are fighting a Godzilla 2014. You know how he can get that insane meter from getting hit?

Doesn't matter, because once he activates his super, you can literally sit back and do the homing ground move into super and play keepaway all night long.

Hell, people drop out as soon as they see a Bio, or disconnect, and I don't blame them. This shit is corny.

Anung

Un Rama
How are people finding the netcode in this? I had a few 3 player matches and it was a big laggy. Not unplayable but noticeable.

Dragoshi1

After 18+ hours with the game, my complaints are few;

1. No block is alright, but more dedicated counter options should be included; I'm sure Godzilla or other monsters grabbed the other mid-attack and flung them.
2. They need to nerf Larva Mothra's speed, she attacks with such speed that she can effectively stunlock larger monsters, and her charge is fast and instant for closing the distance. Godzilla should NOT have that much trouble against ONE Larva, another story if there were two...
3. Lack of non-Godzilla/Mechagodzillas on the roster. They should have dug deeper and pulled out more, where's Orga? Zilla(For the comedy of it)? Gorgosaurus? Or any of the others from the Kaiju Guide and across movie history? Weren't they interested in getting King Kong in here? Or finally settle the Gamera VS Godzilla fantasies of the fans?
4. Larger cities to destroy would have been nice.
5. Where's Monster Island?

How are people finding the netcode in this? I had a few 3 player matches and it was a big laggy. Not unplayable but noticeable.
Its... acceptable at best. I prefer 1v1s because they are less laggy.

Also, looks like someone got the Platinum. It'll be time consuming but I plan to get it too.

Sephzilla

After 18+ hours with the game, my complaints are few;

1. No block is alright, but more dedicated counter options should be included; I'm sure Godzilla or other monsters grabbed the other mid-attack and flung them.
2. They need to nerf Larva Mothra's speed, she attacks with such speed that she can effectively stunlock larger monsters, and her charge is fast and instant for closing the distance. Godzilla should NOT have that much trouble against ONE Larva, another story if there were two...
3. Lack of non-Godzilla/Mechagodzillas on the roster. They should have dug deeper and pulled out more, where's Orga? Zilla(For the comedy of it)? Gorgosaurus? Or any of the others from the Kaiju Guide and across movie history? Weren't they interested in getting King Kong in here? Or finally settle the Gamera VS Godzilla fantasies of the fans?
4. Larger cities to destroy would have been nice.
5. Where's Monster Island?

Biollante, King Ghidorah, Mecha King Ghidorah, Anguiris, Gigan, Jet Jaguar, Mothra (x2), Battra (x2), Destroyah, Hedorah, and Rodan aren't enough? The entire Heisei roster is present plus notable Showas. The only glaring omissions from this game seem like King Cesar, Orga, and Megalon.

King Kong isn't in here almost entirely because of licensing, I'd imagine. I was actually somewhat surprised they even got to name-drop Kong in the Kaiju guide.

I've been watching the GiantBomb, GameTrailers, and Jim Sterling videos of this game and boy, it seems like they went in expecting to hate it. Except for the guy playing it in the GT video no one bothered to learn the game, no one has even more than a passing knowledge of Godzilla. It's honestly a bit frustrating seeing these noobs play the game.

There are plenty if legitimate criticisms of course, but it'd like these people didn't even give a damn to try the game and instead exaggerated the bad for views.

I've been watching the GiantBomb, GameTrailers, and Jim Sterling videos of this game and boy, it seems like they went in expecting to hate it. Except for the guy playing it in the GT video no one bothered to learn the game, no one has even more than a passing knowledge of Godzilla. It's honestly a bit frustrating seeing these noobs play the game.

There are plenty if legitimate criticisms of course, but it'd like these people didn't even give a damn to try the game and instead exaggerated the bad for views.

Vinny: *asks a question about the game/godzilla in general."
Alex: "Ehhh... I don't know."

That was pretty much the extent of the commentary in the first twenty minutes or so of the GB QL. Stopped watching it cuz while I agree with Alex that the game is bad, his apathy towards understanding basic things like the Prime Minister representing difficulty levels was too much.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Vinny: *asks a question about the game/godzilla in general."
Alex: "Ehhh... I don't know."

That was pretty much the extent of the commentary in the first twenty minutes or so of the GB QL. Stopped watching it cuz while I agree with Alex that the game is bad, his apathy towards understanding basic things like the Prime Minister representing difficulty levels was too much.

GiantBomb shitting on something without paying any attention or understanding it? SHOCKING NEWS

Sephzilla

Yeah, the game has flaws and legit criticisms but it feels like a lot of people went in expecting to hate it right away and never gave it a chance at all. I even had a brief Twitter back and forth with Sterling about it and I somewhat got the impression he didn't put that much time into it. The game is a 6/10 (maybe 7/10) game that gets a 2 point boost for hardcore Godzilla fans. Saying it's a sub 4/10 game is kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

Jim did agree with me on one thing - it's way more faithful to the source material than Colonial Marines was

I wonder what the sales are gonna be. It seems like I'm finding tons of different people to play with online at any given hour.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, the game has flaws and legit criticisms but it feels like a lot of people went in expecting to hate it right away and never gave it a chance at all. I even had a brief Twitter back and forth with Sterling about it and I somewhat got the impression he didn't put that much time into it. The game is a 6/10 (maybe 7/10) game that gets a 2 point boost for hardcore Godzilla fans. Saying it's a sub 4/10 game is kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

Jim did agree with me on one thing - it's way more faithful to the source material than Colonial Marines was

Jim's review score seemed to mostly stem from the fact it's $60. I do agree that the price is high for this game.

I wonder what the sales are gonna be. It seems like I'm finding tons of different people to play with online at any given hour.
I thought I was finding lots of people to play against but it was the same couple people over and over again.

Sephzilla

Jim's review score seemed to mostly stem from the fact it's $60. I do agree that the price is high for this game..

I absolutely agree with that. This game should probably be a $40 game at most. I happily paid $60 for it because of nostalgia for the franchise and I'm thirsty as fuck for a new Godzilla game. I generally think most people's opinion on the game would be higher if the price was lower (and if it had split screen multiplayer)

I've found matches fairly quickly and frequently, I also don't see many repeat players. I hope it sold good / Namco doesn't have very high sales expectations. I'd legitimately like to see this game get a sequel with improvements/fixes especially since there's going to be another Toho Godzilla movie coming out in a year or two.

I do agree that it should have been $40 with local play. I only paid $40 for it, but not a lot of people have GCU.

As for sales it looks like at least 20,000 people have completed God of Destruction according to the Rankings.

I do agree that it should have been $40 with local play. I only paid $40 for it, but not a lot of people have GCU.

As for sales it looks like at least 20,000 people have completed God of Destruction according to the Rankings.

have you beaten jet jaguar 3 times in a single playthrough? if so, what character/path

Sephzilla

Are those rankings just North America or worldwide?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm more and more convinced Adult Mothra and Biollante do not exist in God of Destruction. Them and Kiryu are the only kaiju I'm missing and Mothra is the reason I can't upgrade anything.

zeopower6

I'm more and more convinced Adult Mothra and Biollante do not exist in God of Destruction. Them and Kiryu are the only kaiju I'm missing and Mothra is the reason I can't upgrade anything.

You may have an easier time with Biollante in Defend. I always encounter her when I go hard path with Mecha King Ghidorah.

Mothra (Adult) can be a little more of a headache though... was doing some data collection runs on Go Ashore and she popped up for me a few times after I chose the hard path for stage 2 as a Normal difficulty stage. What path do you usually choose when you play?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You may have an easier time with Biollante in Defend. I always encounter her when I go hard path with Mecha King Ghidorah.

Mothra (Adult) can be a little more of a headache though... was doing some data collection runs on Go Ashore and she popped up for me a few times after I chose the hard path for stage 2 as a Normal difficulty stage. What path do you usually choose when you play?

Been running defend for Biollante and still nothing. I usually wind up doing a Normal route for GoD. Maybe I should stick to hard. Kiryu is related to Intel, right?

Also about Jet Jaguar, how to you get him to appear three times. I know he's farmable on the first Go Ashore but what about after that.

zeopower6

Been running defend for Biollante and still nothing. I usually wind up doing a Normal route for GoD. Maybe I should stick to hard. Kiryu is related to Intel, right?

Also about Jet Jaguar, how to you get him to appear three times. I know he's farmable on the first Go Ashore but what about after that.

Intel seems to only affect the kaiju guide. (100 entries, 100 data pieces)

Kiryu is available on hard runs in the stage after where you would encounter Super-X, I think?

Jet Jaguar is spawnable by getting to 50-60% destruction and then destroying all generators as quickly as possible. No idea what the time limit is, but after stage 1, I just did that and got him to show up in stage 7. Was going to do his last appearance too but I had to finish getting my last two data entries for 100% :(! You could probably get him to appear with more than 60% but I think you might be cutting it close as far as time goes unless you're VERY fast.

I just have one Kaiju left to get. I think it's one of the Mechagodzillas.

I would guess either Kiryu or Supermechagodzilla. :eek:

Finaika

Should I get this game even though it has been getting horrendous reviews?

I'm a huge Godzilla fan, but I do not want a sucky game.

zeopower6

Reviews don't really mean much for this game.

From what I have seen, there are some flaws but just about everyone who likes Godzilla on some level seems to have enjoyed the game. I don't really understand why the reviews are SO incredibly low (lower than games that are glitchy and/or broken) but whatever.

zeopower6

100m Mothra Larva and Hedorah are my nightmares. Well, not anymore but they would just destroy me before I was upgraded.

Daingurse

If you are huge fan, then yeah I'd say it's worth it. I think there's a lot of enjoyment to be found here for Godzilla fans.

100m Mothra Larva and Hedorah are my nightmares. Well, not anymore but they would just destroy me before I was upgraded.

Fuck 100m Mothra Larva, Jesus. She gave me and my brother a hell of a time, several times lol.

Top Bottom