• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Vs Kong Official Trailer

Aggelos

Review contains some spoilers.

"Still, the skyscraper-sized scraps — likely the only reason anyone really wants to watch this — make for by far the film’s most straightforwardly enjoyable moments. Compared to the other entries in this reboot run, the kaiju brawls here are modestly meatier: more coherent than Godzilla: King Of The Monsters, more muscular than Kong: Skull Island. It has a decent sense of scale (if not — still — any sense of the human cost of all this destruction); fight choreography that pleasingly resembles a pub car park punch-up; and impressive CGI that, in Kong, at least hints of the beast once killed by beauty."

Chiggs

Leaks are all over YouTube. And it looks like Godzilla takes an absolute asskicking,
but not from Kong.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I've only seen the first trailer, avoided the rest.
Will be seeing on Saturday night and I'm pretty eeeeexcited.

:)

ManaByte

535ti8.jpg

That loud Mandarin voice over in the trailers is making my fuckin ears bleed. Why do they oversaturate the colors in these trailers?

Last edited:

Aggelos

Chinese TV Spot

OsU88S4.jpg
n7VSB5z.jpg
YrhQm0q.jpg

As you guys know, the production company Legendary Entertainment is owned by the Chinese. Since 2016, Legendary has been a subsidiary of the Chinese conglomerate Wanda Group.
So in their Chinese weibo accounts, Legendary and Warner Bros upload various stuff. This is a clip from when Godzilla and Kong fight it out on the sea. Obviously spoilers ahead.

Last edited:

Angelcurio

The movie was released in DR this past thursday, and I went to watch it with my kids. I can say safely say that it definitely is a really fun movie, but the story is all over the place with serious plot holes. In general terms, it is just like one of the promotional posters described it, Fast and the Furious but with monsters. If I were to give it a score, it would be 7.5, just because the conflicting plot problems with Godzilla King of the Monsters. The battles are satisfying, and they are constantly present throughout the movie.

Chiggs

The director criticized Batman Vs Superman's supposed "lack of a winner" (funny, because it looked like Batman had Superman dead to rights), but then produces an outcome that's nearly identical?

I hope Snyder starts shit with him on Twitter, honestly.

5DfCtgJ.png

It looks fine on my Sony Bravia. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Aggelos

Fuck that was a lot of fun!!!
Damn, damn, damn.

A certain characters side arc was a total waste of time but still damn fun.

Lemme guess

The team Godzilla is a total waste of time, just laughable and ramshackle narrative and characters' arc; i.e. Millie Bobby Brown (Madison), Josh Valentine (Julian) and Brian Tyree Henry (Bernie)...

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
The director criticized Batman Vs Superman's supposed "lack of a winner" (funny, because it looked like Batman had Superman dead to rights), but then produces an outcome that's nearly identical?

I hope Snyder starts shit with him on Twitter, honestly.

5DfCtgJ.png

It looks fine on my Sony Bravia. :messenger_sunglasses:

Where did you watch it? DM me if necessary. 😎

sol_bad

Lemme guess

The team Godzilla is a total waste of time, just laughable and ramshackle narrative and characters' arc; i.e. Millie Bobby Brown (Madison), Josh Valentine (Julian) and Brian Tyree Henry (Bernie)...
Yep, they could be completely cut from the film.

Aggelos

Yep, they could be completely cut from the film.

Ya, Millie Bobby Brown should have been booted, after the commercial and critical failure of Godzilla King of the Monsters. Instead, they cut Zhang Ziyi, though. Zhang was very cute and sweet in Godzilla KOTM.
"Zhang Ziyi and Jessica Henwick were cast, but they do not appear in the final cut of the film, with Ziyi intended to be reprising her role in Godzilla: King of the Monsters. "

1aBZSVm.jpg

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm a Godzilla fanboy and I'm going to be pissed if my man gets wrecked by Kong.

Somebody give me a spoiler. Tell me that Godzilla kicks the shit out of Kong! Please 🙏

INC

I'm a Godzilla fanboy and I'm going to be pissed if my man gets wrecked by Kong.

Somebody give me a spoiler. Tell me that Godzilla kicks the shit out of Kong! Please 🙏

Sounds like godzilla has gone mad fir some reason, and they're trying to find a mystic island

No doubt kong and godzilla team up at the end for some reason

ManaByte

Sounds like godzilla has gone mad fir some reason, and they're trying to find a mystic island

No doubt kong and godzilla team up at the end for some reason

Godzilla: [hardly breathing] You're letting them kill Mothra...

Kong: What does that mean? Why did you say that name?

Godzilla: Find him... Save Mothra...

Kong: Why did you say that name? Mothra? Why did you say that name? WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?

Aggelos

As I mentioned previously, the production company Legendary Entertainment is owned by the Chinese. Since 2016, Legendary has been a subsidiary of the Chinese conglomerate Wanda Group.
Which means that in their Chinese weibo accounts, Legendary and Warner Bros upload various stuff. This is a clip from when Kong has some punch-ups in hollow earth.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
A minority of The #restorethesnyderverse crowd has started review bombing Godzilla vs Kong.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: you never disappoint
Corrected that for you.
Also, what James Gunn says here can apply on this too:
399om5pmcpp61.jpg

You are on a Crusade against Snyder fans, we get that but please get over it.

Anyway, I'm really excited to finally see GvK (Team Godzilla of course) and happy to see very strong numbers for the opening ! I really hope the MonsterVerse can continue
As I mentioned previously, the production company Legendary Entertainment is owned by the Chinese. Since 2016, Legendary has been a subsidiary of the Chinese conglomerate Wanda Group.
Which means that in their Chinese weibo accounts, Legendary and Warner Bros upload various stuff. This is a clip from when Kong has some punch-ups in hollow earth.

I stopped watching stuff about the movie some time ago, but you make it difficult to resist

Aggelos

I stopped watching stuff about the movie some time ago, but you make it difficult to resist

Sounds like you don't wanna have the good stuff spoiled for ya.
Does it sound like a ridiculous idea to "accept" those short clips as sth normal coming out of the film's marketing? I mean they're half a minute or a minute long (tops) anyways.

Korean TV Spots

SUNDAY UPDATE, Refresh for latest…: Warner Bros/Legendary’s Godzilla Vs Kong has set a new benchmark for the biggest international box office debut by a Hollywood film during the pandemic era with an estimated $121.8M from 38 overseas markets. Those were led by China’s $70.34M (RMB 457M). Legendary markets and distributes its modern monster series in the Middle Kingdom where GVK topped the $66M (unadjusted) start of 2019’s Godzilla: King Of The Monsters. In like-for-like markets, and at today’s exchange rates, GVK is tracking ahead of KOTM by 11% and roughly on par with the opening weekend of Kong: Skull Island.

The Adam Wingard-directed clash of the titans ranked No. 1 in all markets where it released. Mexico and Australia both came in at $6.3M. In the former, this is by far the strongest launch since cinemas reopened and lands 17% ahead of 2014’s Godzilla, 18% above Skull Island and 45% over KOTM. Australia’s opening surpassed all comps and has already outgrossed the lifetime cume of KOTM.

It’s important to recall that there are still capacity restrictions in many areas, but the turnout for GVK demonstrates that when there is big new product available, moviegoers are eager to get back to cinemas in places where it’s safe to do so.

Other markets to perform include Russia with $5.8M, topping KOTM’s final cume as well as being well ahead of Skull Island. In Taiwan, GVK’s $5.2M is the second biggest opening for WB behind Aquaman. India also weighed in heavily, with great uptake in the south and posting $4.8M for the 2nd biggest opening weekend during the pandemic.

In IMAX, GVK generated an estimated $12.4M on 891 screens with 9.7% of the total international box office to become Hollywood’s biggest IMAX weekend since December 2019. IMAX results also accounted for the film ranking as the 5th biggest opening of all time for a WB title. This is also the biggest IMAX opening of the Monster Universe in 13 markets including Russia, India and Taiwan.

It’s not all about the monsters this weekend, however, as Sony’s Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway hit the road in Australia this session. Hopping to a great $2.1M, and before next week’s Easter holiday, the sequel is primed for long legs. In terms of comps, it debuted 34% ahead of The Secret Life Of Pets 2 and just eked The Boss Baby. Wider international rollout begins in mid-May and runs through July.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Godzilla vs. Kong delivers on massive action and goopy, pounding particulars, leading to a gigantic final act clash that teeters on the edge of noisiness at times, but all the bone-breaking, atomic breath-spewing combat should charm the target demographic, who’ve been waiting for this moment for years. Godzilla vs. Kong is a pure fun, finding ways to expand MonsterVerse world-building and delight in previously established mayhem, offering a proper victory lap for a creatively successful franchise.
Score : 8/10

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Fuck yo' cinemas. I'm watching this on my own big screen on my free subscription to HBO Max. Pause buttons ftw.

Methos#1975

Film wasn't very good. Completely wasted it's potential. 90% of it was just a snooze fest. On top of this, MechaGodzilla looked like a Grimlock design from the Transformers that was even too lame for Micheal Bay to use lmao.

sol_bad

Film wasn't very good. Completely wasted it's potential. 90% of it was just a snooze fest. On top of this, MechaGodzilla looked like a Grimlock design from the Transformers that was even too lame for Micheal Bay to use lmao.

I mean it's a movie about giant monsters fighting. What potential were you hoping it would achieve?
:eek:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
After KOTM being the worst thing I had watched since Suicide Squad or theatrical JL, despite the bombastic reviews it received (from a certain portion of audience), I'm very skeptical of this film.

I love Shin Godzilla and like 2014 Godzilla, but those are films packed with terror and awe. I'm not sure a goofy, if fun, Kaiju fight is going to do it for me or leave my eyes rolling. The human drama absolutely spoiled whatever positive effect KOTM may have had on me otherwise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom