• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG apologizes for posting a picture of a Game Journalism tombstone

DryvBy

Yesterday, to announce they were selling Postal 2—an already controversial game—GOG posted a picture of Dude peeing on a tombstone with the words "Game Journalism" on it. You can imagine that game activists journalists were not too happy. VG247 announced they were pulling coverage and support from them for their "pro GamerGate" Tweet. The pressure was on and GOG made an apology.

GOG defended their actions stating:

GOG via Reddit said:
Well shoot, why don't I explain.

We made a post about Postal 2 with with a GIF of peeing on a tombstone for "Video Game Journalism". We didn't realize it was more than just the game's trademark crudeness, but many people read it as a show of support for a wave of hate and abuse associated with the date on the tombstone.

So, we removed the tweet and clarified our intentions.

On a personal note, I think that much of the "Don't apologize" comes from people who feel that this was indeed our intention but we just caved to pressure. I know there isn't much debating that, but from an insider's perspective – it honestly wasn't.

More info here:
and here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/why_is_gog_supporting_gamergate_game_such_as_postal_2/page1

Dunki

Yeah not supporting GOW anymore except Projekt RED. There was nothing wrong here. And now they get the real shitstorm from gamer.

Denton

I am pretty sure people at CDP are sensible enough that they do not buy the "everyone who ever used GG hashtag is a harasser/mysoginist/rapist/terrorist" narrative, their stance is to completely as much as possible ignore the entire shitstorm. So that tweet was unfortunate, because by mistake they invited the shitstorm from usual outrage addicts, and then by apologizing in such groveling way, invited shitstorm from many of their customers.
GOG, think before you post.

klosos

The only good thing about Game journalism is i have something to point and laugh at when am on the toilet !! some of the absolutely drivel that most websites publish this days is astonishing. its really sad to see theses websites trying to hang on by there fingernails to any relevance or respect they once had . Its like watching someone who you really respect maybe actor or Sportsman who's past there best and they go on big brother for the cash.

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
I understand the apology. I wouldn't want to be associated with GamerGate either.

Let the "ethics in game journalism" crowd be mad.

Last edited:
I understand the apology. I wouldn't want to be associated with GamerGate either.

GamerGate was glorious. It was so hilarious seeing them trying to censor everything and when they couldn't, they started crying harassment. Truly the cry of a loser.

Redshirt

Banned
GamerGate was glorious. It was so hilarious seeing them trying to censor everything and when they couldn't, they started crying harassment. Truly the cry of a loser.

fQKdON3.gif

You almost had me there for a sec...

TannerDemoz

A collective yawn and lol at everyone calling games journalism 'dead'. There's some ace work out there. Stop scapegoating an entire industry because of bad practice from certain outlets. It's no different from people slinging an entire website under the bus because they disagree with one editor's or writer's approach there.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Postal 2 has been through rigor mortis and back. Its survived its initial criticisms, there's been a movie made about the game, and it continues to sell. Its been 15 years. Someone should have at least Googled it in the last decade. I've seen the videos on G4, purchased both the games through Steam, and I've forgotten about the games entirely (until today). What type of advertisement do they want? The censored kind?

I remember when there was the Columbine RPG making its way onto the internet. I don't like those types of games, but I did play Postal. I also don't think its that great of a game. I played it because it was controversial and it has crude humor. Its part of the reason to why I played Conker's Bad Fur Day. but CBFD was a lot more fun than Postal.

Postal is like a violent fantasy with crude humor. I regret buying Hatred just because the game isn't great. It was a quick install and uninstall (same thing with my time with Postal). It was all curiosity due to how extreme each game was. I wasn't oversensitive about it.

Thiagosc777

If they do, you're reading the wrong stuff.

I haven't visited a gaming website in many many years now. All the gaming information I need I get directly from the companies twitter feeds or from some YouTubers I trust. Is there anyone who take gaming journalism seriously?

KevinKeene

Banned

How about 'let's not'?
Definitely won't be buying from GOG anymore. Pandering to resetera is just disgusting. They made an offensive, but fitting joke. Nothing to apologize here. The people who complained won't buy from GOG anyway, so I hope it was worth it, dear GOG.

Redshirt

Banned
How about 'let's not'?
Definitely won't be buying from GOG anymore. Pandering to resetera is just disgusting. They made an offensive, but fitting joke. Nothing to apologize here. The people who complained won't buy from GOG anyway, so I hope it was worth it, dear GOG.

I'm sure that'll put quite the dent in GOG's bottom line. :p

GoG should've known what was gonna happen if they tweeted a pic like that. Them backtracking on it after (a few) people get angry, only comes off as... spineless.

DonF

Why is this "pro gamer gate"? I don't get it! it's just satire, symbolic criticism. Are companies so afraid?

TannerDemoz

I haven't visited a gaming website in many many years now. All the gaming information I need I get directly from the companies twitter feeds or from some YouTubers I trust. Is there anyone who take gaming journalism seriously?

Yes. The people who work 9-5 shifts then come home to spend 5+ hours more playing on the games so they can actually review them. I don't work in the industry, but it gets so much unnecessary shit from edge lords, especially given the salaries a lot of these writers are on.

Provide examples, please.

I'll link some of my favourites when I get in tonight.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Yes. The people who work 9-5 shifts then come home to spend 5+ hours more playing on the games so they can actually review them. I don't work in the industry, but it gets so much unnecessary shit from edge lords, especially given the salaries a lot of these writers are on.

They aren't struggling journalists. They are political activists and bloggers who openly lie to people (see recent ArenaNet case). If no one is willing to pay for it, then there is your answer of how much people value it.

TannerDemoz

They aren't struggling journalists. They are political activists and bloggers who openly lie to people (see recent ArenaNet case). If no one is willing to pay for it, then there is your answer of how much people value it.

No. I'm saying don't scapegoat an entire industry because of some sites, editors or writers. You're calling all game journalists political activists and bloggers. Can you not see where I'm coming from?

And unwillingness to pay isn't an indicator of 'value'. Print media is down in general and online clicks are suffering everywhere throughout the journalism industry – not just games. I don't really get your last point.

Skyn3t

Banned
Ethics in game journalism? It's like honour among thieves - non-existent.

Like for realz, fuck the political agenda they're pushing, but how can you trust media that is paid by publishers? They should just introduce paywalls and eliminate adds altogether.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What's controversial about Postal 2?
Genuine question. I've never played it.

Its about a postal worker who is sent out to get milk, but along the way he can (you can try to ignore doing these things) shoot protesters, kill animals, and people working at different stores. People are flipping you off and cursing at you and you get to deal with it however you like. You make that choice to take it to the next level. Its a dark game that relies on humor. You can get why some people would be against it. There's more in the wiki article about it too or you can search for YouTube videos.
There's even a film about the game:
Postalposter07.jpg

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I feel a tinge of 'man what the hell GOG?' but then I'll buy stuff when they have a really good sale going. I'm part of the problem, I guess.

These back and forth battles between entities I have no connections with really don't matter in the end when I can get some sic games for 2.99.

Arkage

Banned
You can be critical of gaming journalism's behavior, especially their coordinated outrage editorial fest on August 28th which that pic references, without supporting anything to do with Gamergate. But the regressive left will inevitably turn this into a which-side-are-you-on thing, where they force the framing into a false dichotomy of "pro harassment of women" or "anti harassment of women." I was never a gamergater, but if there's one thing I agree with them about, it's that "gaming journalism" fucked up on August 28th by playing the worst kind of hive-mind identity politics. I mean, criticizing Leigh Alexander's piece was why my account got banned on Neogaf originally :ROFLMAO: It's days like today that I'm glad on this forum instead of the other one.

That being said, anyone boycotting GOG over this is dumb.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Its about a postal worker who is sent out to get milk, but along the way he can (you can try to ignore doing these things) shoot protesters, kill animals, and people working at different stores. People are flipping you off and cursing at you and you get to deal with it however you like. You make that choice to take it to the next level. Its a dark game that relies on humor. You can get why some people would be against it. There's more in the wiki article about it too or you can search for YouTube videos.
There's even a film about the game:
Postalposter07.jpg
Cool. I can jack off to that.

DryvBy

I'm sure that'll put quite the dent in GOG's bottom line. :p

It more than likely will. Realistically, I doubt the people crying over a joke would have bought anyway. The companies that fold to Twitterverse and activists don't usually end up having a good time because miserably depressed Twitter warriors don't have money so why cater to them? See Wolfenstein II for a good example. Star Wars for another.

That being said, anyone boycotting GOG over this is dumb.

I definitely won't be boycotting them. They still have a great service and put good games out there.

Last edited:
No. I'm saying don't scapegoat an entire industry because of some sites, editors or writers. You're calling all game journalists political activists and bloggers. Can you not see where I'm coming from?

And unwillingness to pay isn't an indicator of 'value'. Print media is down in general and online clicks are suffering everywhere throughout the journalism industry – not just games. I don't really get your last point.

They are the regressive right: they want to be victimized and have a reason to hate. Just like the regressive left.

You almost always become what you hate.

Chiggs

What a complete bunch of wimps. Just like anything, journalism needs to be criticized in order to improve.

Top Bottom