• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safe Bet said:
fuck that termination clause. A digital media company cannot be allowed to simply "close shop".
it's a standard idiotspeak tos. check the terms of service/use user/subscriber agreement on any other download service for pc, as I guess you haven't already

Safe Bet said:
I didn't buy games from them because I was nervous they might not be around for the long haul.
which doesn't matter as long as you actually download the downloads you buy

Psy-Phi

Joseph Merrick said:
it's a standard idiotspeak tos. check the terms of service/use user/subscriber agreement on any other download service for pc, as I guess you haven't already

Yeah, I know they can do that and expect it to happen to some, I just feel like ample warning should be given. Or sales should stop with a message such as they gave but with the ability to download anything you purchased in a reasonable amount of time post notification. Say 30 days.

Feels a bit messed that I cant download things I purchased at the moment. Maybe I should always download what I purchase, but with no indication of trouble I assumed (I know) that I'd be able to download them some other time.

Psy-Phi said:
but with no indication of trouble I assumed (I know) that I'd be able to download them some other time.
and it looks like you will be able to "On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games."

DRM would quite literally ensure I never buy another game from GoG ever again. I don't even bother downloading games from EA when they're FREE because of the DRM. Total freedom from DRM was GoG's only selling point for me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's also worth noting that word verification DRM can be trivially broken. Like, under 15 minutes by someone who isn't experienced. It never involves any kind of encryption, just a pure challenge-response. You run a memory debugger on the application, get a breakpoint on the challenge, bypass the challenge verification, ta-da.

Actually, pretty much every DRM pre-mid 90s consisted of x86 assembly in the following manner:

lda drmVerificationValue
cmp expectedVerificationValue
beq gameRoutine
jmp failRoutine

oh no, how ever will we remove this awful DRM? :p

Half the DRM cracks before that point are literally find-replace of 2-4 ASM instructions with NOP.

Corto

Outcast forever lost. Any hopes of having Planescape Torment and System Shock 2 in downloadable form are now also lost. Damn... :(

Won't someone please page Gabe? Valve needs to come to the rescue!

Stumpokapow said:
It's also worth noting that word verification DRM can be trivially broken. Like, under 15 minutes by someone who isn't experienced. It never involves any kind of encryption, just a pure challenge-response. You run a memory debugger on the application, get a breakpoint on the challenge, bypass the challenge verification, ta-da.

Actually, pretty much every DRM pre-mid 90s consisted of x86 assembly in the following manner:

lda drmVerificationValue
cmp expectedVerificationValue
beq gameRoutine
jmp failRoutine

oh no, how ever will we remove this awful DRM? :p

Half the DRM cracks before that point are literally find-replace of 2-4 ASM instructions with NOP.

Pirate :p

Unfortunately I'm sure if they add DRM it won't be the old style.

Corto said:
Outcast forever lost. Any hopes of having Planescape Torment and System Shock 2 in downloadable form are now also lost. Damn... :(

Won't someone please page Gabe? Valve needs to come to the rescue!

Those were on GOG?

Twig

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Those were on GOG?
Only Outcast.

I think he was just expressing hope for the future of GOG that is now "never going to happen" even though it looks more and more like GOG isn't dead. U:

Mimir

Dammit, I only backed up about half of my games. I really hope the downloads offered will still be DRM free.

JDS 1977

Banned
Figures, I had recently deleted all my installers while moving stuff around since I figured I'd go grab them again once I had stuff sorted out.

now I'll most likely be stuck with crap downloads IF they bring the site back up.

Xzior

Damn it... I knew I shouldn't have waited to buy some games I wanted. Oh well, not much to do about it now.

Safe Bet

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
The only reason I buy games on STEAM is because they store my library for me.

I have no use for a "you must transfer your purchase to some form of physical media" provider.

If I want physical media, I'll buy physical media.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
greenhouse games is down "for upgrades" as well. not that anyone cares. i have no idea if that's something that happened recently or if they've been out of commission for a while.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Stumpokapow said:
greenhouse games is down "for upgrades" as well. not that anyone cares. i have no idea if that's something that happened recently or if they've been out of commission for a while.

Greenhouse has been that way for at least 2 weeks now, if not longer.

Infinity

MomoPufflet said:
DRM would quite literally ensure I never buy another game from GoG ever again. I don't even bother downloading games from EA when they're FREE because of the DRM. Total freedom from DRM was GoG's only selling point for me.

This. DRM-free oldies made me stay on top of GOG's offerings. Their process was so streamlined. Keeping the installers ensures that I can play them at any time, connection notwithstanding.

I really, REALLY hope this isn't a publicity stunt to unveil a new version of GOG. Like, maybe one that isn't DRM-free.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The latest tweet makes me somewhat hopeful. I'm hoping this is all a silly misunderstanding, but the wording seems very strange.

Minsc

Gold Member
Safe Bet said:

I have no use for a "you must transfer your purchase to some form of physical media" provider.

You're not really GoG's target user, and the fact you didn't buy any games proves it. GoG wasn't targeting people who wanted a Steam-like experience.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Minsc said:
You're not really GoG's target user, and the fact you didn't buy any games proves it. GoG wasn't targeting people who wanted a Steam-like experience.

I use GOG like Steam. I bought all the Tex Murphy games when they were on sale but had no real intention of playing them any time soon. I just liked the option of being able to play them without having to use "nefarious means".

Although that's probably more of an indicator of how the Steam sale has conditioned me to buy anything on sale. :lol

Safe Bet said:

the hell are you talking about? nc fucking failed. you're on a pc. your steam games are stored on your harddrive

Minsc

Gold Member
Joseph Merrick said:
the hell are you talking about? nc fucking failed. you're on a pc. your steam games are stored on your harddrive

That's not really true, many people buy Steam games and never even install them.

But most of GoG's audience are the type of people who prefer DRM-free, single file executable setups, with no outside services needed to run the software. GoG's said so themselves on their forums when people have asked if they'd do something more like Steam.

The kind of people who don't want to worry if this exact thing happens that their games would be in trouble. I own probably over 50 titles from GoG, and I don't regret a single purchase even though GoG is out of business (as we knew them), or whatever it is.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Minsc said:
That's not really true, many people buy Steam games and never even install them.
i think the point was that if Steam were the company doing this the effect would be exactly the same. If you dont have the game downloaded, you wont be able to play it. Actually Steam going under could be worse because you would have to rely on a gentlemans agreement that the DRM would be removed. If whomever took over a theoretical closing Valve they could alter the "remove DRM in case of closure" thing via some agreement bs and be done with it.

Maccas

Joseph Merrick said:

I keep ~5 games installed on steam at a time. When I want to play something I download it. I'm sure there are people who want all their games on their hdd at the one time but when it starts getting into the 100's of gigs the convenience of downloading it anytime you want is a major selling point.

That being said I have bought ~20 games on gog and have only downloaded half of them, but from reading the whole thread it looks like it is a part of some new roll-out.

Somnid

I don't mind if GOG returns with DRM. I don't want it to be Ubisoft-grade but if it increases viability then go for it. Steam does just fine, I like it, it's not a problem. Just don't go crazy.

I'm a little more worried that this releasing old games isn't as commercially viable as once thought (LOL free money). GOG was one of the best and most passionate and if they are no more that really sucks.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I assume we've already had the conspiracy theory that they're not really closing?

Since they never actually say "we're closing down GOG".

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. In Beta? DRM free? In existence? What do you mean?We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.Again, defined as what? Beta? DRM free?

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming. Okay.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era (the whole thing, or the beta era, or the DRM free era?)behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.
So the only thing we know is that the site is down now, it's coming back up later, and there's going to be some kind of major change.

Somnid said:
I don't mind if GOG returns with DRM. I don't want it to be Ubisoft-grade but if it increases viability then go for it. Steam does just fine, I like it, it's not a problem. Just don't go crazy.
yeah, regardless of drm they will continue to release mostly games that aren't available anywhere, or at least try to. so there is that, and it has value

Htown said:
I assume we've already had the conspiracy theory that they're not really closing? Since they never actually say "we're closing down GOG". So the only thing we know is that the site is down now, it's coming back up later, and there's going to be some kind of major change.
they're doing a xfire type tracking client for game stats and are adding achievements to all games

Wehrwolf

Glad I had gotten around to downloading the stuff I did, too bad I don't have a chance for the others I had still put off due to backlog :(

Twig

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
yeah, regardless of drm they will continue to release mostly games that aren't available anywhere, or at least try to. so there is that, and it has value
O: whooa
they're doing a xfire type tracking client for game stats and are adding achievements to all games
I know you're joking but uh

iwouldkindoflikethatU:

(only if the prices didn't increase and it wasn't intrusive)

Victrix

*beard*
Biggest revelation in this thread: People who buy games and don't even download them

Truly we have reached a new age. We've upgraded from games in the shrinkwrap sitting on a shelf to bits sitting on a server, not downloaded.

epmode

I almost always download and install something from Steam or GOG but there's no way I'll keep something on the HDD that I'm won't be playing for the next few months. So yeah, I'm missing a LOT of GOG games right now.

graywolf323

Victrix said:
Biggest revelation in this thread: People who buy games and don't even download them

Truly we have reached a new age. We've upgraded from games in the shrinkwrap sitting on a shelf to bits sitting on a server, not downloaded.

I forget where I saw this but a great quote on that matter

"Steam has truly solved the issue of piracy: instead of me not paying for games that I want, Steam has me paying for games I don't want." :lol

I own way too many games between GOG, Impulse, and Steam >_>

Twig

Banned
Victrix said:

Yeah, I tend to download them as soon as they're bought. Sometimes later I'll delete them but... only to make space if I REALLY need it...

Fredescu

Victrix said:
We've upgraded from games in the shrinkwrap sitting on a shelf to bits sitting on a server, not downloaded.
I have way too many of both :(

I did manage to download most of my GoG games a month or so ago.

hamchan

If GOG is shutting down: I'm not happy
If this is a marketing ploy: I'm not happy and they've destroyed my trust in them.

Fredescu

If it's neither of those things we may never know exactly why they had to shut down so suddenly. Marketing ploy wouldn't surprise me though. CD Projekt have always seemed a little naive when it comes to those sorts of things.

Victrix said:

I download games when I want to play them. I only have like half of my Steam collection installed right now because there's stuff I don't care about playing at the moment. I don't have a copy of The Longest Journey downloaded off GOG at the moment because I wasn't going to start playing it quite yet. Doesn't seem that weird to me!

(If these places didn't have periodic big sales it'd be one thing, but with both GOG and Steam I tend to grab $5 stuff at the holidays and play it throughout the year.)

Stumpokapow said:
So that's what, 8 sales they've lost?

Is there some kind of phone-home DRM/activation in the install exes linked on their maintenance site right now? I'd like to assume there's something that means those aren't just live DL links for all their games. :lol

Wehrwolf

So, for games older than what Steam normally carries, are there other options at this time? As in, mid 1980s stuff, as I'm into the old Wizardry, Bard's Tale 1-3, Might & Magic 1-6 style dungeon rpgs lately (I did at least get Might & magic from gog, just using it as an example)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom