• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancisH

Hope it comes back, though I didn't buy anything, I really liked the idea and that there was an easy to use way to get old games if I ever needed to. That being said, if GOG comes back what's the first thing I should buy? :D

sflufan

Banned
Gexecuter said:
Anyone else had the crazy though that Valve is buying gog and that is what this whole thing is about? If that were to happen i would actually not be pleased because i like gog's way of doing things better. I'm so confused right now.

Yeah no one has had that thought AT ALL in this thread so far :eek:P

Minsc

Gold Member
If this is a stunt, it's the worst one I've ever seen. GoG wasn't very popular here (it has its followers, but we're way outnumbered by those indifferent or turned off to it), and this imo is a horrible stunt, worst I've ever seen. If there are consequences to this stunt it'd suck, but wtf GoG, normally you're better/smarter than this.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
This is unfortunate...I bought Rise of the Triad from them, which makes them good people in my book.

:(

mrgone

It's a great way to guarantee that their servers are going to be effectively DDoSed by everyone scrambling to get backup copies of their games if/when they do return, though!

Twig said:
Everyone says that, and while I at one time would've sworn that I saw it from an official source, it is no longer present on the internet in any fashion whatsoever. I long ago began questioning my own memory on the matter.

If you can find such a quote ONCE, let alone multiple times, then you will be a Hero of the Web.

Basically.

And I do so love them for it. :3

Even if Gabe or someone at Valve did officially announce something about patching out authentication in the past, I'm guessing they could only guarantee that for their own games. The best they could probably do for all of the other games is to urge users to save all their CD keys and pray real hard before the service sinks into the smelting pit. :p Kind of a frightening thought.

Joseph Merrick said:
Update: GOG's PR man Tom Ohle has responded, saying, "As the message on the site says, this doesn't mean GOG is gone. We'll have more to share in the coming days. No need to jump to conclusions :)"

Backtracking already. What a stupid idea.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Gexecuter said:
Anyone else had the crazy though that Valve is buying gog and that is what this whole thing is about? If that were to happen i would actually not be pleased because i like gog's way of doing things better. I'm so confused right now.

saw someone joke on the Steam forums that they could label it Steam Classic

if they actually kept the no DRM line and then had the two services classic with older games and DRM free and then Steam proper with newer stuff that'd actually be pretty awesome

Slavik81

starwars-vader-nooo.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FrancisH said:
Hope it comes back, though I didn't buy anything, I really liked the idea and that there was an easy to use way to get old games if I ever needed to. That being said, if GOG comes back what's the first thing I should buy? :D
Fallout 1&2, Sanitarium, The Longest Journey, Age of Wonders, Freespace 2, Sacrifice, Divine Divinity, Beyond Good & Evil, etc.

I thought it was quite obvious that they were just going to revamp the site and distribution process from the beginning.

GOG said:
Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

Though they could have obviously made it more clear.

Munin

Shamelessly copied from QT3

It's a marketing stunt before CD Projekt's conference on 22nd. A bizzare and tastleless one, but not any reason to worry. They will be annoucing new systems, GoG will most likely go out of beta and there might be some changes.

Optimus (CDP's owner) is having huge financial troubles and there are rumors about new investor which will buy it. GoG is actualy one of few avenues that does bring constant profit to CDP"

from here
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums...7455040&page=1

adrian werner's posts (his blog
http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2010/ )

hopefully he is right

I can't see how this would be a stunt. Nothing inspires confidence in costumers investing in your DD service then showing them how vulnerable DD services can be.

Unless they're assholes and they go, "Look! if we really closed shop, you could still play all your games, because they're DRM free! aren't we great? that's why would should buy games from us and not steam!"

Haunted

Can't wait for GoG 2.

Seriously though, I can't see how there's much leeway for interpretation in the original blurb:
We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

Doesn't get much clearer than that, usually.

Vamphuntr

graywolf323 said:
saw someone joke on the Steam forums that they could label it Steam Classic

if they actually kept the no DRM line and then had the two services classic with older games and DRM free and then Steam proper with newer stuff that'd actually be pretty awesome

Yeah but the great thing with GOG was that you had no DRM and that you did not need to have a client running to play your game.

Scipius

Twig said:
Everyone says that, and while I at one time would've sworn that I saw it from an official source, it is no longer present on the internet in any fashion whatsoever. I long ago began questioning my own memory on the matter.

If you can find such a quote ONCE, let alone multiple times, then you will be a Hero of the Web.

The idea is based on a comment Gabe once made in reply to a question that asked what would happen if Steam went down. The thread no longer exists, but someone kept the link and Gabe's reply: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10642189&postcount=28

All in all, we don't really know what would happen if Steam goes under, but disabling authentication, at least, is a functionality of Steam. Whether or not they'd use it is another matter of course.

Asparagus

This really fucking sucks, I was just looking at picking up some more games from them today. At least their releases have no DRM I guess.

But still...

:(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haunted said:
Seriously though, I can't see how there's much leeway for interpretation in the original blurb:

We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

Doesn't get much clearer than that, usually.

I'm sure that's what was posted on the Real Time Worlds/APB forums as well though.

Almak

Higher prices, DRM and may be a unified launcher is what I think is going to happen with this.
Sad about the turnout though. Good thing I backed up all of my purchases.

Alright, I'm ok with higher prices, a unified launcher, and DRM. Here are my conditions:

1. Immediate release of Dungeon Keeper.
2. Immediate release of Dungeon Keeper 2.

If these criteria are met I welcome my oppressive new overlords with scary fervor.

Psy-Phi

Knew there was a reason I always thought I should download everything; too bad I didn't keep up with that after April of this Year. Got 9 more games to download :(. Hope I can get them in their original DRM/Client free form if/when they come back.

Vamphuntr

Almak said:
Higher prices, DRM and may be a unified launcher is what I think is going to happen with this.
Sad about the turnout though. Good thing I backed up all of my purchases.

Pretty sure you are right. On their official Twitter they commented that it was hard working with publishers when you are DRM free.

In case you guys somehow forgot in the last five minutes, I'm actually reading and posting in this thread and people will get banned if you carry on insulting one another and dragging unrelated arguments about the PC DD world in here. Keep it friendly and on-topic about GOG please!

Almak

theinfinityissue said:
Alright, I'm ok with higher prices, a unified launcher, and DRM. Here are my conditions:

1. Immediate release of Dungeon Keeper.
2. Immediate release of Dungeon Keeper 2.

If these criteria are met I welcome my oppressive new overlords with scary fervor.
Make that system shock 1 and 2 and you have a deal.
I already have DK2. :D

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
This'll be my last post here as frankly, you guys are all obsessed with the idea of this being a stunt that you can't see how fucked up this situation really is.

http://www.bankier.pl/inwestowanie/profile/quote.html?symbol=OPTIMUS&format=detailed

I'll post this again, as the trading value (Market Cap) has been ignored (even by me) up until now. According to this, Optimus (Who own CDP I can say with utmost certainty now), have a market value of less than $6million. Even with the recent lift in their share price this company is utterly worthless. The reason? Before they bought CDP, Optimus racked up some serious debt, and took on even more to buy CDP, this has left them in a major hole financially.

As stated above, last week Optimus sold 3.5million shares and has tried to re-jig the company to transfer their debt to something less unstable, this has triggered an EGM (For this Wednesday) which on it's own, would be unexciting. However, someone appears to have bought all the shares in one block and are using their new power to force Optimus to change their company strategy. This investor is at the moment, unknown but will be revealed at the company EGM.

My opinion is that this mystery investor has called for GOG to be totally changed, possibly to have DRM introduced and to change their business model completely. This leads me to believe the investor is a publisher, but I am not sure who, but there are signs that MAY be pointing to Atari SA, CD Projekt's long term publisher partner in Europe.

charlequin said:
In case you guys somehow forgot in the last five minutes, I'm actually reading and posting in this thread and people will get banned if you carry on insulting one another and dragging unrelated arguments about the PC DD world in here. Keep it friendly and on-topic about GOG please!
can we get a thread title change? something like...

"GoG has already shut down...in preparations of re-opening."

just so people won't come in crying and reciting their hate for publishers?

Twig

Banned
Scipius said:
The idea is based on a comment Gabe once made in reply to a question that asked what would happen if Steam went down. The thread no longer exists, but someone kept the link and Gabe's reply: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10642189&postcount=28

All in all, we don't really know what would happen if Steam goes under, but disabling authentication, at least, is a functionality of Steam. Whether or not they'd use it is another matter of course.
I'm aware of that post, but it proves nothing. U:

Stop It said:
This'll be my last post here as frankly, you guys are all obsessed with the idea of this being a stunt that you can't see how fucked up this situation really is.

http://www.bankier.pl/inwestowanie/profile/quote.html?symbol=OPTIMUS&format=detailed

I'll post this again, as the trading value (Market Cap) has been ignored (even by me) up until now. According to this, Optimus (Who own CDP I can say with utmost certainty now), have a market value of less than $6million. Even with the recent lift in their share price this company is utterly worthless. The reason? Before they bought CDP, Optimus racked up some serious debt, and took on even more to buy CDP, this has left them in a major hole financially.

As stated above, last week Optimus sold 3.5million shares and has tried to re-jig the company to transfer their debt to something less unstable, this has triggered an EGM (For this Wednesday) which on it's own, would be unexciting. However, someone appears to have bought all the shares in one block and are using their new power to force Optimus to change their company strategy. This investor is at the moment, unknown but will be revealed at the company EGM.

My opinion is that this mystery investor has called for GOG to be totally changed, possibly to have DRM introduced and to change their business model completely. This leads me to believe the investor is a publisher, but I am not sure who, but there are signs that MAY be pointing to Atari SA, CD Projekt's long term publisher partner in Europe.

good old games....into shit new games?

Vamphuntr

I should avec backed up my Fallout 1 and 2 exes :(. If they rises from their ashes under a new GOG with DRM, are the beta GOG users going to be able to redownload their original DRM free games.We should have read the TOS of GOG before it went ''down''.

Acosta

Stop It said:

It hasn't been ignored. But I thought that we reached to the conclusion that we should know the investor if it was a public company. Atari SA is listed on Euronext Paris, so I don't think they could do something like this without proper noticing in advance.

Almak said:

Higher prices and DRM would be a huge fat sack of balls. :lol

I think there are a lot of people in the GAF cohort, at least, who only accept DRM on Steam because it's
  • extremely non-intrusive,
  • very upfront about what it does,
  • from a company with Valve's reputation, and
  • comes with a lot of "value add" attached.
If GOG's future viability depends on (sigh) giving up on the DRM-free dream, they better soft-pedal that with lower prices.

Twig

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
err, what would "prove" something?
Really? That's my point, bro.

Nothing but a quote straight from the horse's mouth (and nobody in the entire world is stupid enough to believe there's no possibility that dude is making shit up) will prove a thing.

He is not a mod, he is not an employee at Valve, he is just some dude who claims to have a link to a thread that no longer exists and conveniently saved the quote in text format.

Is it possible he's telling the truth? Entirely! But there's no guarantee... And you know this, so why are you asking me this question?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Stop It said:

Well if what you said turns out to be truth it would be pretty sad, i love gog the way it so the thought of a new owner coming in and destroying everything that made gog special in the first place would seriously, except if the new owner turns out to be Valve because i just can't see them screwing the gog brand.

A public investor we could find out about because they have to report it.

If it were private, it could be anyone. However, Valve is a private company so maybe it's them. I can easily see GoG being incorporated into the Steam service with very few bumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom