• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG hitman has online drm, and gets review bombed.

Kenpachii

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ease-sparks-drm-row-review-bombing-accusation

Its getting review bombed badly.

https://www.gog.com/game/hitman_game_of_the_year_edition?pp=6d7084b4994a00d15257677cab1bc26390d1a432

In short, gog releases Hitman game of the years on there platform, which uses online DRM on a platform that is known to not want DRM. Which sparks endless review bombing which triggers GOG.

Update:

GOG delisted the game for the time being until they discuss the situation with IO and a better (hopefully fully DRM-free) solution is presented:

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
3zwlRxq.jpg
Tim And Eric Idk GIF

Paasei

As much of a fan I am of the Hitman reboot, it makes total sense this time. I thought GoG was brought to life cause they are AGAINST DRM in any way. Hence most games on there are pretty old and newer games only get on there once DRM is removed. It's either something they didn't see, or they are just trying something (stupid).

Not to defend GOG but they're not removing negative reviews, they're removing offensive reviews. If you look at the game's page overall score is still 1.3/5, the only reason it can't really go that much lower is people can't leave 0 stars. They just misused the term review bomb like they misused the term drm-free.

FStubbs

Not to defend GOG but they're not removing negative reviews, they're removing offensive reviews. If you look at the game's page overall score is still 1.3/5, the only reason it can't really go that much lower is people can't leave 0 stars. They just misused the term review bomb like they misused the term drm-free.
They should remove the game if they're serious about their anti-DRM stance.

Kadve

They kind of missed the whole point of their existence. How can you be so out of touch with your own customer base?
To be fair, they kinda did that the moment they added modern games.

Still i am glad and somewhat surprised they still let you download offline installers.

Guilty_AI

Dunno how to feel about that.
I mean, for me the whole point of getting games from a drm free platform is to not be tied or have to care about said platform in the first place. Like buying a physical game from Mr. Hosea's Kingtech store down the road and not have to care whether Mr. hosea sundelly decided to deal with druglords and human trafficking or something.

Visiting gog forums some time ago, i couldn't help but feel some people started getting way too much obsessed with just the idea of drm free to the point of madness. Like if you have an entire game you could play offline but had a skin that could only be obtained by playing online or something, users would sundelly start making waves about "GAME IS DRMed! GOG TURNED THEIR BACK ON ITS VALUES!" It seriously gave me crazy vibes.

Not saying this hitman thing wasn't a bad move from them. My guess is they either didn't put too much thought since it was a big name or they thought it'd be fine because you can play part of the game offline. Either way, my stance is simply "yeah i ain't buying that one". After all, i buy from them precisely because i won't have to care about them afterwards.

Last edited:

Iamborghini

I mean, for me the whole point of getting games from a drm free platform is to not be tied or have to care about said platform in the first place. Like buying a physical game from Mr. Hosea's Kingtech store down the road and not have to care whether Mr. hosea sundelly decided to deal with druglords and human trafficking or something.

Visiting gog forums some time ago, i couldn't help but feel some people started getting way too much obsessed with just the idea of drm free to the point of madness. Like if you have an entire game you could play offline but had a skin that could only be obtained by playing online or something, users would sundelly start making waves about "GAME IS DRMed! GOG TURNED THEIR BACK ON ITS VALUES!" It seriously gave me crazy vibes.

Not saying this hitman thing wasn't a bad move from them. My guess is they either didn't put too much thought since it was a big name or they thought it'd be fine because you can play part of the game offline. Either way, my stance is simply "yeah i ain't buying that one". After all, i buy from them precisely because i won't have to care about them afterwards.
If a game require an online verification it’s a DRM.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is this a gog issue or a publisher one? Did they maybe slip it past gog?
Most likely the publisher slipping it past GOG and just doing the minimum to convert their Steam release to GOG's format. GOG's (most likely automated at this point) quality check process probably tried making sure the game would boot up, show logos, etc. but probably wasn't smart enough to know how to try and start the game to make sure it didn't have any sort of built-in always online DRM.

However - it's been several days now so I blame GOG for letting this stay up for as long as it has. It definitely lowers my opinion of their company.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Well yeah. I mean as someone without much interest in either GOG or this particular game, the reaction seems wildly excessive.

Seems like another case where people get their desires catered to 99.9% of the time, but completely lose their shit over the rare instance that doesn't meet their expectations. This obsession with "purity" is real unhealthy imho.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Apparently there's a mod that unlocks all of the game's online features. But if you have to crack the "DRM free" version of the game, it's only a marginal step up from ethical piracy.

bender

What time is it?
Well yeah. I mean as someone without much interest in either GOG or this particular game, the reaction seems wildly excessive.

Seems like another case where people get their desires catered to 99.9% of the time, but completely lose their shit over the rare instance that doesn't meet their expectations. This obsession with "purity" is real unhealthy imho.

Owning the things you buy​

We don't believe in controlling you and your games. Here, you won't be locked out of titles you paid for, or constantly asked to prove you own them - this is DRM-free gaming.

junguler

Banned
doesn't gog allow refunds up to a month or something with no playtime restrictions? i'm sure those people can play the game to completion and then refund it if this drm stayed up to send a message.

Neilg

This has to be a fuckup - it sounds like a 'that must be somebody else's job' and a 'someone must have dealt with this already' set of assumptions going around.

There's huge bold text right under the purchase button that says 'DRM FREE!!'
They'd have removed that from this page if they intended to host a game with DRM.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is the case for the console versions too, you literally get kicked from the game if it disconnects.
The game is always tracking your progression and comparing it to others players.
It's the world of assassination, I thought this was known?

Guilty_AI

This has to be a fuckup - it sounds like a 'that must be somebody else's job' and a 'someone must have dealt with this already' set of assumptions going around.

There's huge bold text right under the purchase button that says 'DRM FREE!!'
They'd have removed that from this page if they intended to host a game with DRM.
Its most likely because we're dealing with a gray area here. Technically you can play the game by just downloading and installing it normally without needing to connect to any server afterwards. However this game locks a lot of content behind a online wall, though techinically you can unlock said content with mods apparently.

So yeah, its probably a gray area that gog thought was white.

Bar81

Its most likely because we're dealing with a gray area here. Technically you can play the game by just downloading and installing it normally without needing to connect to any server afterwards. However this game locks a lot of content behind a online wall, though techinically you can unlock said content with mods apparently.

So yeah, its probably a gray area that gog thought was white.

That's not DRM free any way you cut it. If that's the bullshit they're pulling going forward I'm out - steam is cheaper and at least I know I'm getting fucked there...

Guilty_AI

That's not DRM free any way you cut it. If that's the bullshit they're pulling going forward I'm out - steam is cheaper and at least I know I'm getting fucked there...
Not saying it is or isn't, just pointing out what the thought process behind the decision of putting the game there most likely was.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
People should be shitting on that. It's complete nonsense that Io would think it's alright to do that, or that GOG thought a bowdlerized release would be fine.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Doesn't the game work w/o the online features?

edit: Ah reading reviews the online stuff is pretty extensive, and much of it shouldn't require online.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

This seems to be going around as of late. Companies acting in ways that they know would cause outrage in their own customer base.

And yeah, GOG screwed up here. They should acknowledge it and pull the game until IO Interactive can provide a fully offline experience, better than the current poor man's version they delivered -- at least for the single player campaign.

I understand there are other cases where they allowed some form of DRM, usually online connection for trivial stuff. I don't know. Maybe don't chip away your core principles upon which you built your reputation?

Nezzeroth

It's not the first time they've done it. They did the same with Stellaris. I wouldn't be surprised if they change their stance on DRM eventually.

Top Bottom