• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG is putting multiplayer back into Star Wars Battlefront II (Original) today

If they provide the IP for the master list we could use it on the PlayStation 2 version as well instead of the fan run SWBFSpy replacement.

Fuck yeah. Never got a chance to play this on PC when online was live, but the bot mode was always super fun. One of my favorite purchases from GOG.

I was never a huge fan of BFII (I only played it splitscreen on the PS2) because I never liked the fact you could play as movie characters/preferred the simplicity of the original.

That being said, I could be tempted to pick this up to see what it's like online, and it's awesome that they've done this.

I believe that this is the first time that I can recall GOG managing to get Galaxy retrofitted into an old game. It's a fine first choice.

Tapejara

Suddenly the random patches BF2 had been getting this past year make sense. Nice to see native multiplayer return!

MUnited83

For you.
Fuck yeah. Never got a chance to play this on PC when online was live, but the bot mode was always super fun. One of my favorite purchases from GOG.
Well, the online was always live, the issue was the master server going down (the thing that lists the available servers)

It will probably have more active players that 2017 Battlefront 2 on PC.
Nah, even when it used GameSpy servers, it only peaked at 4,703 players.

The PC version of the first Battlefront currently had a peak of 4,799 within the last 24 hours.

Watch how this game will over run the new one before it comes out..maybe but i think the player base will be healthy.
Nah

MUnited83

For you.
Nah, even when it used GameSpy servers, it only peaked at 4,703 players.

The PC version of the first Battlefront currently had a peak of 4,799 within the last 24 hours.

Nah

Actually, you're just looking at Steam numbers, but there are a lot of people playing it out of Steam. It's a similar situation with Call of Duty 4. They were released when Steam wasn't as big and a lot of the userbase is outside of it. Also worth to mention that Steam charts only tracks activity since.. 2011, or 2012 I think, so it doesn't have recorded the actual peak.

GOG does what Steamdon't 8)

Really hope that they will start doing this for other old games too. They should ask EA for Battlefield 1942! They already have some EA games in GOG, and EA would surely love to reap rewards from an old game...

J_Viper

This is awesome

If it works, I'll end up playing this until the new one drops in price, which shouldn't take so long

Playercount will surge for a day or two, then fall back down. If you wanted to play this game online you'd have the fan solutions and be playing already.

I'm super surprised Disney even bothered giving the ok on this. Game existed long before the buyout and it's something I thought they'd never care about.

xealo

Playercount will surge for a day or two, then fall back down. If you wanted to play this game online you'd have the fan solutions and be playing already.

Even so, not needing third party solutions does the existing player base a favour regardless.

The game has an in game server browser with ability to host your own servers locally and everything, the master server just went down with gamespy.

Cuningas de Häme;250698383 said:
GOG does what Steamdon't 8)

Really hope that they will start doing this for other old games too. They should ask EA for Battlefield 1942! They already have some EA games in GOG, and EA would surely love to reap rewards from an old game...

Yes, oh my gosh yes. I always wanted to play '42.

Tapejara

I'm interested to see what happens with player numbers. I played a bunch of BF2 on PC using GameRanger last year, and there were usually three highly populated servers going. Now that you don't need to fiddle around with third party clients/accounts, I hope it brings more people back.

I played a bunch using a third party tool previously, but I've been too lazy to reinstall it just for BF2.

Top Bottom