• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG is putting multiplayer back into Star Wars Battlefront II (Original) today

wwm0nkey

Playercount will surge for a day or two, then fall back down. If you wanted to play this game online you'd have the fan solutions and be playing already.

Except this is much easier than downloading something like GameRanger. Not a lot of people (me included) wanted to go through all that. But I will play now that it's just back up like normal.

Well, the online was always live, the issue was the master server going down (the thing that lists the available servers)

I mean... Yeah. But having the master server up is what facilitated online play. I mean sure, you could still direct connect to a server, or use a third party app, but as soon as the in-game option died, the online mostly died with it.

gabbo

Cuningas de Häme;250698383 said:
GOG does what Steamdon't 8)

Really hope that they will start doing this for other old games too. They should ask EA for Battlefield 1942! They already have some EA games in GOG, and EA would surely love to reap rewards from an old game...

EA released 1942 for free on Origin like, last year. It exploded for like a week and then calmed down
This BF2 news is excellent. will have to check out.

I mean... Yeah. But having the master server up is what facilitated online play. I mean sure, you could still direct connect to a server, or use a third party app, but as soon as the in-game option died, the online mostly died with it.

Except this is much easier than downloading something like GameRanger. Not a lot of people (me included) wanted to go through all that. But I will play now that it's just back up like normal.

I'm interested to see what happens with player numbers. I played a bunch of BF2 on PC using GameRanger last year, and there were usually three highly populated servers going. Now that you don't need to fiddle around with third party clients/accounts, I hope it brings more people back.

I played a bunch using a third party tool previously, but I've been too lazy to reinstall it just for BF2.

Even so, not needing third party solutions does the existing player base a favour regardless.

The game has an in game server browser with ability to host your own servers locally and everything, the master server just went down with gamespy.
Its a shame that more people didn't know about SWBFSpy. Just a straight replacement with a modded .exe to point to SWBFSpy.com instead of Gamespy.com. GameRanger was always crap.

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?board=134.0

MUnited83

For you.

As someone who continued to play it, it didn't really die. Of course, this patch is very much still a great thing that will be bound to bring more players in.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
You think a company would just promote their new hot game and forget the old one ever existed, good on Disney and GoG for doing this.

EA released 1942 for free on Origin like, last year. It exploded for like a week and then calmed down

I know, but it was a timed thing. Didn't get it then, missed the period for some reason.

I have they original disk version and all the expansions. Would buy them again if GOG resurrected the online.

Origin version was apparently full of hackers.

I've been playing BF2 through GameRanger but it would be nice to be able to play it properly once again. Oh, played BF2142 too and I want it back too. Best SciFi online shooter ever!

I wonder if we are able to use all of the old mods once again? It would be awesome.

EDIT. Went to see if there's a sale for BaFro 2 and indeed there is. I saw Republic Commando AND THAT GAME NEEDS to be resurrected too! Online was a blast in that.

Wow, I did not realize/know before but Star Wars Empire at War multiplayer was patched last month too also now this is updated also? Sweet!

So, there's a 3.52GB update in the BG on steam as I write this. Is it related to this?

Also, no need for gameranger anymore? And please tell me that the steam version crossplays with GOG.

wwm0nkey

So, there's a 3.52GB update in the BG on steam as I write this. Is it related to this?

Also, no need for gameranger anymore? And please tell me that the steam version crossplays with GOG.
Yes it's cross play. Also no more game ranger.

Wait on a hot fix though, it's not working too great right now

Tapejara

Its a shame that more people didn't know about SWBFSpy. Just a straight replacement with a modded .exe to point to SWBFSpy.com instead of Gamespy.com. GameRanger was always crap.

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?board=134.0

That definitely sounds like less of a hassle compared to GameRanger, but doing it all through Steam/GOG Galaxy will streamline the process much more!

Yes, the 3.53GB update is what re-enables multi. As far as I understand, this will eliminate the need for GameRanger (and/or SWBFSpy, that SG-17 linked above). Lastly, yep, cross-play confirmed!

GOG said:
There has been an awakening... have you felt it? STAR WARS Battlefront II (Classic, 2005), the critically acclaimed shooter of massively entertaining warfare, has received a critical update. Powered by GOG Galaxy, the multiplayer function of the game has now been restored AND with added Crossplay support between GOG Galaxy and Steam to boot.

https://www.gog.com/news/star_wars_battlefront_ii_now_supports_crossplay

Should clarify that anyone who played the new Battlefront, but haven't played this should get on it to better understand why people were so frustrated with the new Battlefront.

Bonezz

Neo Member
Tried to hit Multiplayer, just getting a 'Busy, 0%' message and the game freezes up.
Same thing here. Some people have said to try changing your hosting bandwidth in the settings, launching in windowed mode, and hitting cancel as soon as it pops up with busy 0% but none of that has worked for me.

Mooreberg

Very cool idea. Would love to see this done with more games that have had good multiplayer abandoned over the years.

jholmes

I hope they patch in proper controller support and other basic QoL stuff with this too. I don't know if I'll jump in any time soon but that might convince me.

Yes it's cross play. Also no more game ranger.

Wait on a hot fix though, it's not working too great right now

That definitely sounds like less of a hassle compared to GameRanger, but doing it all through Steam/GOG Galaxy will streamline the process much more!

Yes, the 3.53GB update is what re-enables multi. As far as I understand, this will eliminate the need for GameRanger (and/or SWBFSpy, that SG-17 linked above). Lastly, yep, cross-play confirmed!

https://www.gog.com/news/star_wars_battlefront_ii_now_supports_crossplay

Amazing. This is all we needed. Wonder how the populace of BF 2 EA on Origin will fare against this, 3 or 4 months into it's release.

tumblr_meqh226sYA1qbqraqo1_500.gif

Yeah, I'm getting the "Busy 0%" pop up as well.

Did any of you even get to witness the server browser, let alone a game? I couldn't until now. Will try again later today, hopefully with a hotfix.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, I'm getting the "Busy 0%" pop up as well.

Did any of you even get to witness the server browser, let alone a game? I couldn't until now. Will try again later today, hopefully with a hotfix.

Yeah I was able to see the browser, apparently they were not expecting this many and the master server isn't having fun right now lol

zedge

Still has the old bug where you need something plugged into the headphone jack or it freezes trying to join multiplayer.

Yeah I was able to see the browser, apparently they were not expecting this many and the master server isn't having fun right now lol

I'm going to try the other bizarre methods which are working for some people like lowering the resolution in windowed mode and so on.

Also, it's around 1500 players on steam ATM, so assuming around half of that populace on average on GOG wouldn't put the servers on that much load. There's wrong in between. We'll mostly get someone in the community fix this within a week tops though.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Heh can't get into a game at all.

Don't think they were ready to drop this ninja-ton.

I remember playing this a while back on PC with maps from the first one that you could download. Do you think we'll be able to use those maps with this multiplayer update? Either way, I'm still pretty excited.

BF1942's free release was just because they knew the game was going to be a virtual-coaster in less than six months due to Gamespy's servers being cannibalized for use in Mobagemu by their new owners.

After the master-server shutdowns, EA just pulled everything older than BC2 from sale.

Zebei

I am so ****ing hyped. Battlefront 2 was one of my favorite games of the generations and I spent hundreds of hours on that game. But I never spent a second online since I was on PS2 and didnt even know how.

But I bought the game in the Star Wars sale last year, and you can bet your *** im going to play some of this, even if it means getting killed every 3 seconds. God bless GOG

Top Bottom