• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG is putting multiplayer back into Star Wars Battlefront II (Original) today

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Yeah, I too am having lock ups whenever I try to connect.

Also, while I'm here, ahem...can you also re-enable multiplayer for Republic Commando?

And maybe give it true widescreen support?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Like...how is this okay when Disney has an agreement with EA? This is the unthinkable.

Majority of nu-Battlefront 2 sales will be on consoles while the Original is only available for PC. DIsney probably thought PC sales won't be affected too much.

KonradLaw

Playercount will surge for a day or two, then fall back down. If you wanted to play this game online you'd have the fan solutions and be playing already.

It will fall down from now, but if Empire at War is anything to go by it will still stay significantly above what it was before.

heringer

If there's a decent player ass, I'm definitely buying this again. I still have the physical version and it's like 4 DVDs, lol.

AND YET ONE REMINDER:

The game is on sale at GOG right now, little over 3€ if I remember right. Please support GOG and buy the game from there if you already don't have it. They deserve it.

EDIT. Bought KotOR, Republic Commando and BaFro 2 for 5,90€... It lowers the price the more games you add (tho after 3 it jumped at 12€ for some reason...).

Got em on disc but bought them anyway. KotOR is PITA to install from discs.

dawgparty

Game froze every time I tried to connect to multiplayer and when it wouldn't servers would disappear or not allow me to connect. Bums me out because I came right home and hopped on hoping to play some games.

kiyomi

For people trying to play multiplayer:

Still has the old bug where you need something plugged into the headphone jack or it freezes trying to join multiplayer.

-------------------------

Anyone test it out yet?

Game froze every time I tried to connect to multiplayer and when it wouldn't servers would disappear or not allow me to connect. Bums me out because I came right home and hopped on hoping to play some games.

It works so long as you do the above. (At least, it did for me.)

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
For people trying to play multiplayer:

-------------------------

It works so long as you do the above.

Yeah it stop the freezing but it still can't connect to any servers, every time i join a server it tries to connect for a minute and then goes back to the Server list. And there are times the server list goes blank and the only solution is to restart the game.

Skytylz

Banned
During and after steam sales, the player count will bump up. If you want to find some servers to play on, that will be the most reliable time. Outside of then, there was always 1 or 2 servers to play on still.

kiyomi

Yeah it stop the freezing but it still can't connect to any servers, every time i join a server it tries to connect for a minute and then goes back to the Server list. And there are times the server list goes blank and the only solution is to restart the game.

Ahh sorry to hear that. It's working for me, albeit extremely laggy atm.

Voidwolf

I feel like people will realise this is the better game (and it is)

I'm expecting the opposite will happen. OGBFII is dated as hell and not anywhere near as deep as people remember it being. It's still Star Wars and loads of fun though. But the new Battlefront II will definitely be the best iteration of the franchise yet, eve more so when all the free DLC has rolled out.

Yaska

Just switch to singleplayer and back to multiplayer to fix the blank multiplayer list. I noticed that server joining could take 40 seconds in some cases for me.

Krakn3Dfx

Some great mods for this game, especially some that add Clone Wars era maps and characters. None of the baggage that comes with these new Battlefront games, amazing to see it's back in the MP rotation again.

Couldn't get multiplayer to load, just a message each time a selected various servers of something like 'timed out connection'. I'll try the headphone thing later.

Looking it up, the one map I miss the most from the old games was Rhen Var: Harbour.

images

Nostalgia in droves.

dawgparty

I love weird ass old PC bugs like that headphone jack one

I think it’s fair to say that, other the campaign stuff, if you didn’t like the first battlefront reboot, you aren’t going to like the sequel.

I love people shit talking games that they haven't played. And haven't even been released yet.

Hey guys,

The update went live yesterday on the server-side and the freezing issue is now solved.

However the multiplayer in general, although very much playable, is not yet where we would like it to be.
We are now working on an update that would address that. It is still too early to give an ETA, unfortunately, but we are doing everything we can to have it ready and tested as soon as possible.

https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_battlefront_ii/busy/post20

Dehnus

So, all the multiplayer Star Wars goodness? None of the LootBoxxes and Microtransactions!?

WOOHOOO! Screw you EA, I'm going home *Starts up Galaxy Client*.

Played a couple matches but I wonder if the servers went down or something?

Or they are still ironing out connection stuff. either way it was about million times better than anything DICE could make.

Top Bottom